Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Netflix has tons of shows of all types, but in the last couple years have gone heavily into picking up anime series. Lots of classics, from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood to Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Attack on Titan or Death Note, as well as Netflix originals like Aggretsuko and Devilman Crybaby are now available in full on the service. But there's hundreds more available, and there's some real bangers on the service now, Netflix has been doing a pretty good job at picking up some great series for the most part.

I'd like to post a decent starter list for those curious about what's available and where to begin, I'm not entirely familiar with everything available, so feel free to recommend things I've not listed.

There's a ton available and it can be overwhelming to pick a series to try. I'd like to put out recommendations for nine series that are available as of this post on the service, that I find excellent and worth recommending:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Edward and Alphonse Elric are two boys who lose their mother at a very young age. Filled with regret and despair, they use Alchemy, a mysterious but commonplace power in their world, to attempt to bring her back to life. But using Alchemy for Human Transmutation is expressly forbidden, for very good reason, as they quickly discover. And so their journey begins, to hopefully find a way to reverse the punishment they are cursed with.

one of the most common "I'm unfamiliar with anime, where do I start" recommendations alongside shows like Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Attack on Titan or Death Note. Just an absolutely phenomenal series from beginning to end with a gripping story, unique world, complex characters, and generally fantastic animation.

DOROHEDORO - An adaptation of Q Hayashida's fantastically imaginative and horrifically grotesque manga, DOROHEDORO is set in a modern world where humans are used as experiment fodder for Sorcerers, human-like beings with magical powers who live in a parallel dimension and can travel to the human world through special Doors. In the city of Hole, Caiman, a man with amnesia and a lizard head after he was experimented on by a sorcerer, works alongside Nikaido, his partner and restaurant owner, to track down the one who transformed him.

This series is filthy, grimy, disgusting, absurdly gory, and among my all-time favorites. One of the most imaginative settings and with a cast of incredibly lovable characters(even the antagonists!) who are just super fun despite them all essentially being serial killers with how brutal the setting is. The manga is a top shelf series for me and the anime adaptation is shockingly good considering Dorohedoro often showed up on "series that will never get an anime" because everyone thought it would be impossible to capture the filthiness of the setting properly. Well, they did it. Mostly. It's not a perfect adaptation, but drat is it a really amazing effort.

Attack on Titan - Never google/youtube this series. People love to spoil the poo poo out of this series and your results will be filled with spoilery thumbnails. A more recent runaway success, Attack on Titan is set inside a city surrounded by 50-meter-tall walls to protect the inhabitants from Titans; human-shaped giants whose sole reason to exist seems to be to devour all of humanity. One day, a colossal Titan appears that can see over the walls, and kicks a huge hole in the wall, destroying the barrier that had kept humanity safe for over a hundred years. The story follows Eren Jeager, who has vowed to eradicate every last Titan.

The story of this series is honestly one of the most rock-solid I've ever read/watched, with multiple incredible twists and turns that to this day are among my favorites in how they are delivered and the directions they take things. Just a phenomenal series, and the final season is coming this fall.

BEASTARS - the fantastic Netflix adaptation of Paru Itagaki's award-winning anthropomorphic animal manga about a modern society of herbivores and carnivores. The most common and simplest comparison people make is "edgy zootopia", though it's not so much edgy(usually), more that it digs deeper into things zootopia only touched on the surface. Interracial relationships, segregation, the sociopolitical factors of a world with carnivores, but eating meat is outlawed. Do they just endure, or do they find other ways to sate their desire for meat? The series follows Legosi, a grey wolf, who is generally a quiet, humble person, but due to his species' reputation as an aggressive apex predator, is both feared and respected by most people despite his demeanor. He encounters a dwarf rabbit, Haru, and immediately falls for her. Amidst the murder and devouring of a classmate by an unknown predator at school, tensions between carnivore and herbivore are at an all-time high, and legosi has to come to terms with whether his desire for Haru is romantic...or hunger.

One-Punch Man - A tongue-in-cheek superhero series about Saitama, the man who wins any battle with one punch. He wanted to be a superhero, but now that he's the most powerful one ever, he's filled with ennui and indifference because nothing can challenge him anymore. He just wants a good fight, but, well, the title says it all, doesn't it?

An adaptation of a manga which is itself an adaptation of a webcomic, this series is one of those shows people will point to when they talk about "mindblowing animation", the first season at least, has some of the best animation in TV anime. The characters are fun(mostly), the fights are great, and the humor is generally fantastic.

March Comes in Like a Lion - Rei is a young professional shogi player who has gone through so much loss in his life, it has made dealing with other people extremely difficult. But when he meets the Kawamoto family, three sisters who have been through their share of hardships, his life begins to brighten.

A phenomenal drama and slice of life series that deals with love, loss, trauma, hardship, and relationships in really powerful ways, with a just incredibly strong cast of characters. This series has made me cry on multiple occasions, it's really powerful, but also spreads that out with just great, heartwarming fun with the realistic characters of this world. Also, the First OP is really, really good.

The Devil is a Part-Timer! - The Demon King, nearly slain by The Hero, flees through a portal to an unknown place. The Hero gives pursuit, diving into the portal after him. Winding up in modern day Japan without their powers(mostly), they have to then learn to survive as normal-rear end people, so the Demon King starts working at McDonald'sMgRonald's. As he becomes accustomed to and enjoys his new life in our world, things begin to get more complicated for him as he starts to encounter remnants from his world.

A genuinely hilarious and occasionally action-packed slice of life comedy, this series is a lot of fun. A little too much fanservice at times, but overall it's great fun. I read the manga after watching the anime and boy do I ever wish they had continued making more seasons of this, because it goes places past where the anime ended and the best character in the entire series is introduced almost literally right after the last episode. For how popular it was at the time, it's a shame they never continued the anime adaptation.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Simon the Digger lives in a subterranean town, the only life he's ever known. One day, the ceiling collapses in as a giant monstrous face crashes through the ceiling. His blood brother, Kamina, and the person who was fighting the giant face-robot, Yoko, help him travel to the surface world after they discover a tiny robot buried underground and begin an adventure of almost literally unimaginable proportions.

An outlandish, purposely ridiculous mecha anime that is a sendup to the entire genre of giant robots from beginning to end, this series is just absurd in all the best ways with over the top character and robot designs and an ever-escalating storyline. You see the pre-title screen prologue, and wonder how they get there? Well, you'll find out! The series has some pitfalls(episode 4, some parts drag a bit, has some occasional skeevy moments), but it's a hell of a ride and to this day is the only series I would go watch the raw, unsubbed episodes as they showed up online just to see what would happen next, even if I couldn't understand what was being said. Incredible show. The dub is decent, but the original japanese voice cast is star-studded and full of people who just knocked it out of the park.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - to quote(edited a bit) the ADTRW Eva thread OP:

quote:

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a 1995-6 Gainax anime, masterminded by Hideaki Anno, about teenagers piloting giant robots called Evangelions. It begins after a disaster called Second Impact, in the specially built city of Tokyo-3, where a secret organisation called NERV is based. A huge monster, codenamed an Angel, attacks, sweeping aside entire armies which fail even to scratch it; only NERV and their Evangelions can defeat the Angel. A schoolboy named Shinji Ikari unwillingly becomes caught up in the struggle, and he is coerced into becoming a pilot – but this Angel is merely the first of many...

If that was where Eva finished, it might be forgotten. Everyone's seen brave mecha pilots fighting Godzilla-esque monsters, awesome action scenes with triumphant endings, spiced with humour and romance. But Shinji's no hot-blooded hero; he's depressive, unmotivated, and frequently terrified by his bizarre adversaries. The rest of the cast are caught up in severe personal demons of their own. As the series goes on, the action and comedy aspects become less important, the Angels become stranger and stronger, and the results more and more affecting to the cast.
hoo boy. this one. Is it a good recommend to someone unfamiliar with anime? I don't know. Probably not. I've seen people go into it without being familiar with anime and come out loving it, I've also seen others come out HATING it, and everywhere in-between. But in my opinion, Evangelion is such an important moment in the history of anime, that it's a series anyone curious should see. It is a series helmed by a man dealing with crippling depression and given free reign to make the show however he saw fit, and it shows. This is at its core a series about depression, broken people, dealing with other humans, trauma, and other issues humanity as a whole has in a fairly unfiltered manner, for good or ill. Things will not always work out. The day will not always be saved, or if it is, you may not like the way it happens. This is a series that will likely make you uncomfortable in a variety of ways. But ultimately, it's a really unique series that so many have since tried to ape but, in my opinion, none have succeeded. The series has questionable, uncomfortable scenes and messages, it has terrible fanservice, entire episodes can be irrelevant or basically filler, it's absolutely not perfect by any stretch and very much doesn't do things right at times. But it's also a series that people have written hundreds of pages of posts about theories and messages the series sends(ADTRW Eva thread, very spoilery obviously) even to this day, it's a series that has affected millions of people in so many different ways, and I have a hard time thinking of another anime like that. I would note, that if you can get ahold of the old dub, not the netflix dub, that is the better version as the netflix version changes some key dialogue.

there are of course plenty of other shows that are worth a look, and folks are free to recommend series they're familiar with of course. Shows I've not seen like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, K-ON, Death Note, Madoka Magicka, Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, MSG: Iron-Blooded Orphans, Megalobox, and others are also available and all highly regarded, but I can't speak for them.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Uhhhhhh BNA?????

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've not watched it, heard good things but that it kinda falls flat at times.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Yeah. It's real fun and chock full of heart which more than makes up for the story shortfalls imo.

Also add LWA to that list!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if you wanna shoutout stuff by all means, I've not watched everything so go ahead and sell me or other folks on these series. I've got the Little Witch Academia various kickstarter stuff that I backed, but haven't actually watched the show itself.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
How have you not watched the show yet?! It's been out for 3 drat years now!

Ok, for LWA most first thoughts would be a comparison to Harry Potter. This is fallacious, since even though its also a magical school in britain, that's about where the comparisons end. Instead, it's a very heart warming, funny, and moving take on the 'trying in the face of massive adversity' thing, with a twist. The endings kinda shaky in my opinion, but it's still very good and has a great emotional payoff. Theres more to the story as well with old vs new, tech vs organic thing plot lines and the fear of change and comfort of traditions. On a personal note, I like how the antagonists are sympathetic and it's really easy to see where they are coming from and why they did/do what they did/do.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have very little time to actually watch anime anymore since I'm either working (generally 10+ hour shifts a day) or sleeping a bunch, and can't watch stuff at work. I barely got around to watching Dorohedoro and recent Attack On Titan seasons and those are some of my favorite series ever, soooooo

LWA's on the ever-growing list of stuff to watch, of course, but I'm starting to come to terms with not being able to watch most stuff for the forseeable future. Also there's another witches and wizards-themed series I've heard LWA compared to as much more similar to than Harry Potter, but I can't recall the name.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I would like to recommend an oldie but a goodie, and bear with me here:

Ouran High School Host Club is loving comedy gold, though sometimes I wonder if it's still quite as funny if you aren't as familiar with shoujo or harem anime since it's mainly a parody of those.

Anyway it loving owns and is hilarious and gets bonus points for having an excellent dub if for some reason you wanna go that way. The English cast is A++ and in some ways better than the Japanese cast, but I'd say they're equally good overall.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm someone who generally is aware of anime, but doesn't watch it often. I've watched the first few episodes of enough different shows that Netflix thinks I want to see more, so I'm constantly bombarded with them.

And generally, I watch an episode or two, then stop. Sometimes I get annoyed, sometimes bored, but generally they just don't hold my interest.

But I love me some One Punch Man. I've rewatched season 1 three or four times, plus odd episodes here or there when I share it with someone else.

The show is really clever, and spends a lot of time subverting expectations. It owns.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I think Lie in April is pretty good and I think that it's on Netflix. It's about a boy that loses a love of playing music due to personal trauma but is able to rekindle his love through a melodica playing friend that has a tragic secret.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lie in April is quite good, can confirm.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Kakegurui is set in a high school where gambling is openly encouraged and is the cornerstone for the social hierarchy among the students. I do not remember seeing any teachers or classes being taught in this "school". The appeal of the anime might be the character designs and the extreme punishments that could be meted out for the losers, which might also be a negative given how some of the characters reveal in the thrill of experiencing the punishment. There are two seasons, I think.

The Dragon Prince was made by the same people who created Avatar: The Last Airbender and yet this series doesn't have the charm of ATLA. The animation style is ok though personally, I didn't like it though I couldn't tell you why. There are a number of diverse characters with motivations and histories with the goal of some trying to take the place of the missing/dead? king in the middle of tensions between dragons, humans and elves(?). With all that, you would think that this series was interesting but I really couldn't finish the second season buy maybe someone else can?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm someone who generally is aware of anime, but doesn't watch it often. I've watched the first few episodes of enough different shows that Netflix thinks I want to see more, so I'm constantly bombarded with them.

And generally, I watch an episode or two, then stop. Sometimes I get annoyed, sometimes bored, but generally they just don't hold my interest.

But I love me some One Punch Man. I've rewatched season 1 three or four times, plus odd episodes here or there when I share it with someone else.

The show is really clever, and spends a lot of time subverting expectations. It owns.
what sorts of shows do you generally enjoy most? Action-packed ones? mystery ones? comedy ones? While One-Punch Man is obviously an action comedy, just one show doesn't really give a good idea of what might be worth recommending.

Also, a common thing with anime watchers is the "three episode rule". where if you give a show a shot, unless it's so utterly repugnant you can't stand more than an episode of it, to try to stick it out for at least 3 episodes. Gurren Lagann imo is a great example of this, because the first three episodes are a very good setup for the rest of the series(even if episode 4 looks like poo poo). Many shows that have multiple cours will generally be more steadily paced and so might take a few episodes to really get going.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Captain Invictus posted:

what sorts of shows do you generally enjoy most? Action-packed ones? mystery ones? comedy ones? While One-Punch Man is obviously an action comedy, just one show doesn't really give a good idea of what might be worth recommending.

Also, a common thing with anime watchers is the "three episode rule". where if you give a show a shot, unless it's so utterly repugnant you can't stand more than an episode of it, to try to stick it out for at least 3 episodes. Gurren Lagann imo is a great example of this, because the first three episodes are a very good setup for the rest of the series(even if episode 4 looks like poo poo). Many shows that have multiple cours will generally be more steadily paced and so might take a few episodes to really get going.

The problem is almost certainly me. I’m something of a TV snob and a show has to be truly excellent to hold my attention. A couple bad episodes in a row, and I’m out. Applies to all tv, not just anime.

The thing I hate most is slow or insipid dialogue. Long pauses for effect drive me crazy.

I get it. You, the character, are stunned by the events that just happened. I saw it too! I processed it instantly. You’re still standing there with a comical, huge sweat drop. And you still are. Zzzzzzzzzzz

Again, this happens in plenty of non anime tv too. Well, maybe not the sweat drop.

I also don’t like pointless drama that could be solved if everyone just talked to each other. Especially relationship drama.

I love Cowboy Bebop. I remember liking Outlaw Star. Every Ghibli movie I’ve seen was amazing. One punch man. I remember watching Trigun all the way through but that was twenty years ago.

DBZ bores the piss out of me. Every harem anime that I’ve seen tends to get kind of gross. Aggretsko bores me. I dunno!

I’ve been told to watch JoJo but I haven’t tried yet.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I didn't mind the music in Carole & Tuesday and the connection established between the two protagonists with opposite backgrounds was nice but the way in which things happen for the two is very unrealistic especially when the narrator waxes about the last concert that they hold. I'm not sure if anything is resolved satisfactorily but the music is ok.

Haikyuu is a sports anime that I think is a must watch if you're a fan of the genre. There is the typical, inexperienced newbie that has enormous potential/talent waiting to be unlocked as the team seeks to reach the pinnacle of their sport but I think that the way that the anime executes this is really well done. The animation is well done and the motivations of the other teams and the other members of the team are well done in the brief time that they are given throughout the seasons.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Oh god how could I forget about Carole and Tuesday?! That one was bloody amazing, even if the world didn't seem entirely... there if that makes sense.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
My Netflix recommendations:
You should see Devilman Crybaby once. Just once. It will destroy your soul, but it's excellent. Pair it with something happy or nostalgic, you will need it.

Gun Gale Online (GGO) is surprisingly good in spite of its origins as a Sword Art Online spin off. Just a fun show about people making friends in a battle royale game.

BNA is Trigger's latest outing. A human girl suddenly turns into a beastman in a world where beastman are hunted and she flees to the only sanctuary--Anima City! It's not their most stellar work, but it's still pretty good, stylish, and unlike some of their stuff you can watch it in the living room. Related, Little Witch Academia, one of their earlier works, is also very fun and suitable for all ages.

Cells at Work is a really happy show that is going to tell you more than you ever wanted to know about obscure human bodily functions. Trillions of cells, all working hard to keep you healthy!

The Dorohedoro anime covers juuuuust the first part of a very weird, very wild, very violent manga. Watch it! Why does this man have a lizard head? Why is there a human head inside his lizard head? Why is Nikaido's gyoza so delicious? All of this is still in chaos! That is Dorohedoro!

Knights of Sidonia is a very weird scifi show about humanity's last ship, fleeing an unknowable, implacable, and utterly horrifying threat. Tragically, the show does not cover the whole manga, but it's still pretty good. A fave among enbies like myself for reasons that will become clear.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Knights of sidonia has lots of really fascinating transhumanism elements to it like how cloning, genetic resequencing and spontaneous physical gender changes are just parts of everyday life now

The anime has passable cgi, not great, and I highly recommend the manga if you can get ahold of it because it's got a decent ending and BOY does it do spine-chilling cosmic horror right. The gauna are just utterly horrifying to me.

Also the mecha are super good designs.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The CGI was...okay for its time but honestly, it's a shame when you compare it to the manga because Tsutomu Nihei's art is just remarkable.

Oh and I'll also second Kakegurui. It's so weird because all of the parts of seem like I should hate it because it's so horny it's should feel sleazy but it's also just utterly, ridiculously, over the top in every way. My favorite summary of the series is that there is the private school for future world leaders and CEOs that operates under a philosophy where a good gambler makes a good leader. Naturally, it settles into a way like the real world economy, where status is relatively static because nobody takes real risks. Then a girl comes in who is a gambling addict and loving terrorizes all the little shits there because she doesn't care about all the delicate schemes they've set up to secure their fortunes and status, because she's doing it all for the thrill of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I Am Fowl posted:

The CGI was...okay for its time but honestly, it's a shame when you compare it to the manga because Tsutomu Nihei's art is just remarkable.
yeah, the artwork in the manga version is mostly fantastic. the humans are fairly blandly designed for the most part, but man, almost everything else is just really well done, lotta really heavy shadows in space scenes. and as I said, the gauna are just loving nightmarish.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Kakegurui and Death Note get strong recommendations from me. I was a bit surprised to be reminded about just how much anime was on Netflix, I think it skipped my notice because I'd seen a lot of what's on there and I've been passing on the newer stuff that's come down the pipeline. I'll check out Dorohedoro based on Invictus' recommendation, it sounds pretty wild.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One Piece being on Netflix was a big deal, and if you want some really shonen battle and have an extraordinary amount of time to kill because it runs forever then you could do worse. Personally I feel it falls off after its timeskip but even so that means you get a lot of really solid stuff until then.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
We could have a pages-long argument about the One Piece anime, but suffice to say that it's generally decent if a bit slow up to a certain point(some say impel down, I think like, water seven if not earlier, maybe even the end of alabasta) and then absolutely falls off a loving cliff during the marineford war arc and never recovers. It's the last of the eternal shonen anime after naruto and bleach died, and it shows. newer shonen series like my hero academia and assassination classroom have done it far better, splitting things up into seasons instead of churning out a new episode every single week.

the one piece anime caught up to the manga during the water seven arc and started adapting each chapter into an individual episode, resulting in a 19 page chapter being turned into a 22~ish minute episode, which completely obliterates the pacing as you can imagine. it also has at least a dozen filler arcs, only one of which anyone considers good(G8). the animation becomes utterly terrible as well, and there's a decent amount of animation errors. the only unarguably good part about it is the voice cast, who are all stellar in japanese and fine in english. oh and the music for the intros are generally fantastic.

there is something called "One Pace" that edits down the series to remove filler and streamline the pacing of the show so that half a dozen episodes are condensed into one, and it's apparently quite good, though I haven't watched it. There's definitely some good anime-only gags or extended bits from the manga that would make for a pretty solid anime if the bullshit in between was cut out. and this is coming from someone who has one piece in my top 3 favorite series ever.

the anime is terrible overall, I'd say maybe watch up through alabasta and then switch to the manga, or just read the manga from the start. Shonen Jump's online subscription gets you access to 100 chapters a day of anything in their catalog, including the entirety of One Piece and every other shonen jump manga, for two bucks a month. That's a damned pittance, trust me. And 100 chapters a day should be more than enough for most people to read.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 15, 2020

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Yeah Dorohedoro really surprised me, one of the most entertaining anime I've watched in a long time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AcidCat posted:

Yeah Dorohedoro really surprised me, one of the most entertaining anime I've watched in a long time.
Give it a shout out wherever you can because the production studio straight up said that if it does well on Netflix they'll adapt more of the manga into further seasons, which would be quite fun with where the story goes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked the first half of Carole and Tuesday much more than the second. The second half felt more like stuff was happening to them instead of them actually doing anything. Also the political subplot felt like it took up too much time for very little payoff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Violet Evergarden is a show set in a fictional WW1-level society rebuilding after a pretty brutal war with its neighbouring country. It follows an emotionally-dead former child soldier now learning to live in a world without having to rely on her combat abilities, and trying to process how to grieve for the loss of the only person who didn't treat her like a disposable weapon. It will do its damnedest to try and make you cry at least once an episode, and it's well worth a watch.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I really loved Cannon Busters and it's high up there with my favorite anime themes ever.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Violet Evergarden is a show set in a fictional WW1-level society rebuilding after a pretty brutal war with its neighbouring country. It follows an emotionally-dead former child soldier now learning to live in a world without having to rely on her combat abilities, and trying to process how to grieve for the loss of the only person who didn't treat her like a disposable weapon. It will do its damnedest to try and make you cry at least once an episode, and it's well worth a watch.

It's a very very emotional show. I love it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I really loved Cannon Busters and it's high up there with my favorite anime themes ever.

I loved Cannon Busters too, and it badly needs a second season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Saiki K

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Someone with more experience with the meta series, where does Iron Blooded Orphans fit into the quality scale? Because, weird random harem aside, I'm enjoying it, and I might be tempted to track down more Gundam. I haven't watched it since the old Cartoon Network days of Wing and G Gundam (and I recognize G is really different from everything else).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Boxman posted:

Someone with more experience with the meta series, where does Iron Blooded Orphans fit into the quality scale? Because, weird random harem aside, I'm enjoying it, and I might be tempted to track down more Gundam. I haven't watched it since the old Cartoon Network days of Wing and G Gundam (and I recognize G is really different from everything else).

IBO's one of the best Gundam series made, unnecessary harem poo poo aside (and they do try to walk that back a bit in season 2 incidentally).

Your next stop for another good recent series should probably be Gundam 00. SEED is aggressively okay, but it's watchable.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm not a Gundam person, but my roomie is and iirc she really loved Iron Blooded Orphans so I second that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
SEED Destiny is aggressively terrible, however.

0083 is decent, 08th ms team was also on toonami and is one of the most solid gundam shows albeit with an absolutely terrible romeo and juliet romance subplot, turn a gundam is unquestionably the best gundam show and one of my favorite anime of all time, char's counterattack is an excellent movie, and I've heard good things about zeta gundam and slightly less good but still decent things about double zeta gundam

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Beastars is good but I can't seem to come up with a writeup for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TV Zombie posted:

Beastars is good but I can't seem to come up with a writeup for it.

It's already in the OP :v:

And yeah it's good

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Boxman posted:

IBO is fairly high on the quality scale. i don't necessarily wanna turn this thread into pure gundamchat but if you like it there's a lot of places to go from there. my personal recommendation is always thunderbolt

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I just finished 2020 Japan Sinks and my heart is broken, goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Erased is another depressing, but good one. It's a murder mystery with the time travel from The Butterfly Effect.

There's a well rated, live-action version of it too, but I haven't seen it yet.