Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I haven't bought Moonshiner, and I have my trader horse which is good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

moonshiner adds a few missions and a lot of character but is kinda garbage for money and really prone to bugs. its still prolly worth it just so you can gently caress around with the band and musical instruments.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
All the roles provide increased inventory capacity.

Bounty Hunter: Kits (lvl ?), Tonics (lvl ?)
Collector: Provisions (lvl 5), Valuables (lvl 15)
Moonshiner: Ingredients (lvl 6), Materials (lvl 16)
Trader: Ingredients (lvl 5), Materials (lvl 13)

Dick Trauma posted:

I have my trader horse which is good enough.

:ohdear:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 15, 2020

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Ygolonac posted:

Defensive Mode: On

Horse exploded via dynamite/dynamite arrow/explosive ammo
Horse set one fire via molotov/fire arrow/incendiary ammo
Horse exploded via modmenu
Player trampled by horse
Player exploded via modmenu
Player ragdolled via modmenu
Player set on fire via modmenu

Two night back, Defensive mode was verified when I logged in. Fifteen minutes of hunting and herbing later, as I was crouching on a cliff waiting for the cougar spawn I posted previously, and BAM Caracano'd. Happened a few more times when I respawned, and while I was checking to verify that yes, Defensive was on. Modmenu fuckery? Probably.

"Nothing valuable about fishing in online" - just gold from dailies, cash from selling 'em, making food, fiddling the Honor scale... oh, and just plain enjoyment of the game.

Actual creative fuckery - do the critter baits actually function in online? I know down Macfarlane way, I've had camps spawned right next to wolf spawns, and it'd be amusing to seed someone else's camp with a full load of both predator baits while they're cooking/in map/AFK.

Lol just lol if you're trying to make money fishing. Honor is also not something hard to get

Also don't play a rockstar game on pc if you dont want to get owned LOL

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Oberst posted:

Lol just lol if you're trying to make money fishing. Honor is also not something hard to get

Also don't play a rockstar game on pc if you dont want to get owned LOL

Too bad Rockstar is the company that made the cowboy game.

I suppose I could always play Fall... oh poo poo, I can't even type that out.

Might just spend tonight doing a daily and then chasing the last few tarot cards I need for full sets of everything.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Zesty posted:

All the roles provide increased inventory capacity.

Bounty Hunter: Kits (lvl ?), Tonics (lvl ?)
Collector: Provisions (lvl 5), Valuables (lvl 15)
Moonshiner: Ingredients (lvl 6), Materials (lvl 16)
Trader: Ingredients (lvl 5), Materials (lvl 13)

I have Trader and Collector and am slowly working on both. I'm not interested in Bounty Hunter because like in most games my combat skills are crap. I stopped playing the RDO story missions because I got stuck on a combat one that was too frustrating. Probably no loss.

If Moonshiner wasn't going to eat up all the gold I've made I'd grab it, but it looks like a fair number of items can only be purchased with gold. I need to take some time to check all of that out first.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
As long as you keep your daily streak going, you will be overflowing with gold all the time. Eventually it's pretty useless as a currency because it can't pay for your ability cards, which will be your bottleneck on your cash. So use gold for everything you can.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Dick Trauma posted:

I have Trader and Collector and am slowly working on both. I'm not interested in Bounty Hunter because like in most games my combat skills are crap. I stopped playing the RDO story missions because I got stuck on a combat one that was too frustrating. Probably no loss.

If Moonshiner wasn't going to eat up all the gold I've made I'd grab it, but it looks like a fair number of items can only be purchased with gold. I need to take some time to check all of that out first.

Warning: some of the Moonshiner story missions are ballcrushingly difficult. Also, the income vs. spending is a bit sucky - $50 for strong mash, and you'll make $200-250-ish if you can deliver a full load.

Some of the (expensive) shack additions are good for dailies and challenges, though. Every time I go to the shack, I immediately suck down shine until I'm drunk. Do it enough, you get a buckle and some gold, and you can repeat 10 times. Also makes for amusing dancing/musicianship/shine deliveries.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Zesty posted:

As long as you keep your daily streak going, you will be overflowing with gold all the time. Eventually it's pretty useless as a currency because it can't pay for your ability cards, which will be your bottleneck on your cash. So use gold for everything you can.

You're just trying to get me to spend it all on Bitcoin aren't you?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Overflowing with gold after a point.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I stopped playing on xbox like a year (or more) ago and have something disgusting like $25k and 300 gold. I really dislike games on console these days but just can't switch to PC to deal with the rampant amount of cheating that must go on.

Just...waiting for content. One day. Maybe?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

My horse caught fire and died from one of the big bonfires in Armadillo. Poor Cinnamon :( poor lady :ohdear:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Welp, that was 7.5 hours well spent wasted. Just cleared all the treasure maps out of my inventory, made a stupid pile of cash and some gold.

And then I reloaded at my stores locker and have another full set ready6 to grind.

Plus at least one dupe still in the locker.

On other Red Dead Aspergers Online news, I'm one King of Swords away from ten sets of all the collectibles.

Guess I'll be filling out all my ability cards too. :suicide:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

n/m

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 20, 2020

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
So, this happened.

And later:

There'd be a bunch more cash, but i was buying upgrades for all the ability cards as I turned poo poo in.

Still have no idea why cooked birb is a collectable. Maybe it was part of a Thanksgiving event?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I just got to Chapter 3 of single player.

John is a lot shittier of a father than I thought he was going to be. I guess he learns a lot over the course of this game, because right now I don't see that world-weary, beaten down old man we play in RDR1 yet in him. There's the very dry humor, the self-depreciation (which makes SO much more sense now), and the hardness, but none of the warmth or empathy that he displays in the first one.

Dutch is getting kind of big-talk philosophy bullshit, talking about changing the world. What, you and your tiny camp are going to alter the dynamics of society? No wonder you go crazy. The fishing trip with Arthur, Hosea, and Dutch was gold though. I love those little moments. Kind of like going fishing with Jack. Speaking of fishing, who's big brain idea was it to make rotating the R stick the central mechanic? Nobody likes that mechanic. NOBODY.

Goddammit, why couldn't Sadie have been a playable character?

Micah is a big pile of horseshit and I hope he dies.

The rest of the gang is great.

Is Rhodes supposed to be Alabama or something? I keep trying to link up the fictional places in the game with real world locations and find myself struggling sometimes.

Arthur's journal is such a wonderful, evocative little touch. I still need to make time to just sit down and read through it and look at all the drawings he's done.

Every single VO is aces. I haven't heard a bad performance yet.

I'm looking forward to getting involved with the Gray's and Braithwaite's. Given what I know about Rockstar games, I bet they'll both turn out to be absolutely enormous assholes and we'll have to kill 'em all which drives the gang back west. That's just my speculation.

This game is just so much, it's hard to load it up and figure out what to do. But the variety of criming is great and going out on jobs with my gang members is a lot of fun because of all the extraneous dialogue and character building we get during those missions. I'm struggling to make money though. I figure once I finish donating perfect pelts to the camp/trapper, those will sell for a good amount of cash.

Dominoes is the most interminable mini-game I've found so far.

That's it, my review of RDR2 up to chapter 3.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Major spoilers for the climax of RDR2, do not click this if you don't want to be spoiled!

No matter what choices you make, Micah kills Arthur.

Why would you click this???

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Every state in RDR2 is really a mishmash or collage of various states put together with, New Hanover being both Nebraska, Oklahoma and Arkansas and Ambarino being Colorado and Idaho, Montana except Lemoyne which is just staright Louisiana. Just Louisiana. Everything in that state, every single thing is based on Louisiana specifically. Bayous, New Orleans, Segregation, Riverboats, the Mississippi river, and the red clay is common throughout the deep south.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Every state in RDR2 is really a mishmash or collage of various states put together with, New Hanover being both Nebraska, Oklahoma and Arkansas and Ambarino being Colorado and Idaho, Montana except Lemoyne which is just staright Louisiana. Just Louisiana. Everything in that state, every single thing is based on Louisiana specifically. Bayous, New Orleans, Segregation, Riverboats, the Mississippi river, and the red clay is common throughout the deep south.

Okay, cool. I was wondering if I was getting towards the East Coast at all, and that's a big old nope then. Good to know, I don't know why it bugs me, but it does.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's more maddening because real places do exist in the game.

While the states aren't as 1 for 1 as Lemoyne, it is pretty easy to imagine what they're replicating. You basically have New Austin standing in for the American Southwest and the most eastern parts of New Hanover standing in for Appalachia. And then there's a Colorado stand-in in the north. Once again, it's not 1:1, but it gives this rough analogue for the United States if you subtracted California and the east coast cities that co-exists with real America.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's more maddening because real places do exist in the game.

While the states aren't as 1 for 1 as Lemoyne, it is pretty easy to imagine what they're replicating. You basically have New Austin standing in for the American Southwest and the most eastern parts of New Hanover standing in for Appalachia. And then there's a Colorado stand-in in the north. Once again, it's not 1:1, but it gives this rough analogue for the United States if you subtracted California and the east coast cities that co-exists with real America.

Everyone says its appalachia but it makes more sense geographically as the ozarks

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
What's Blackwater supposed to be?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

skooma512 posted:

What's Blackwater supposed to be?
Blackwater, Missouri. It's a real place, surprisingly. Supposedly, it even looks practically the same.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Blackwater, Missouri. It's a real place, surprisingly. Supposedly, it even looks practically the same.

I heard Dallas.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lucas Archer posted:

Okay, cool. I was wondering if I was getting towards the East Coast at all, and that's a big old nope then. Good to know, I don't know why it bugs me, but it does.

Closest you get is the northeast of the map being Appalachia inspired. The map is essentially the middle of the US, with the great lakes excepted.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Can't be the real blackwater, the bank is on the wrong side of the street. (It is very close)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

Despite the name, it's almost a 1:1 copy of 1899 Dallas.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I heard it was supposed to be St Louis but that never seemed right.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

So if I wanted to jump into online now, any tips or advice? I play it on Xbox and I miss the game but don’t really feel like doing the story a third time.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Online doesn't hold a candle to the main story, story or mechanics wise. The only thing worthwhile about it is that people will take it very seriously and get mad when you kill them.

If you're serious, do all the dailies you can. Save gold. Buy Collector as your first role because it will make you a tremendous amount of money. Eventually get the rest of the roles because they improve your inventory space. Gold is REALLY hard to get unless you build up a daily streak (just do 1 a day to keep it going), but you'll eventually get more than you know what to do with. So don't give rockstar more money.

I have some guides and more advice if you get into it.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 21, 2020

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Zesty posted:

Online doesn't hold a candle to the main story, story or mechanics wise. The only thing worthwhile about it is that people will take it very seriously and get mad when you kill them.

If you're serious, do all the dailies you can. Save gold. Buy Collector as your first role because it will make you a tremendous amount of money. Eventually get the rest of the roles because they improve your inventory space. Gold is REALLY hard to get unless you build up a daily streak (just do 1 a day to keep it going), but you'll eventually get more than you know what to do with. So don't give rockstar more money.

I have some guides and more advice if you get into it.

Cool thanks. My camp is in Gaptooth which is cool for me since it’s such an underused area in the story mode. Did a Bonnie mission which I thought was awesome since she was missing from the main story part of the game. Seems like I just need to spend time grinding out dailies and stuff to make money and buy the roles.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah, here's the other stuff I always spam as well.

:d: Ability Card Loadout (SA post link)

:d: Hunting/Fishing Guide, which you're probably already good on. (steam guide)

:d: Picking the best horse, for online (steam guide)

:d: Outfit Warmth calculation (steam guide)

You probably have an idea what weapons are useful, but here's what I use with that tank build:

- Bolt: Medium range, but can do short or long in a pinch. Aim for the head, your default weapon. Add a scope for the extra range, but don't actually fire through it. Treat the bolt like a hard hitting, slower repeater.
- Rolling Block: Long range sniper, body shots can one-shot those not building any tankiness.
- Sidearms: 2 Sawed-off shotguns. Close range. I can't find much of a use for pistols but I frequently would miss my Pump shotgun. 2 sawed offs are a suitable alternative.

A lancaster repeater is an okay substitute for the Bolt, if you REALLY like repeaters. I tried really hard to make it my primary medium range weapon, but the bolt simply outshines it.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 21, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I did not know this but General Schofield shot himself in the head with one of his eponymous revolvers. I suppose it's appropriate that Boy Calloway and Dutch both prefer the Schofield.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Thanks Zesty, I'm only rank 6 after going through the initial stuff last night and I have 1 ability card which is the first Dead Eye one you get so I took Paint it Black. Bought Collector and I'll play some more tonight.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Rockstar are really slowballing the online portion of this game. I was expecting them to try milking the players, but they seem like they don’t want our money.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Ability Cards will draw XP from pretty much every activity, so you can always swap out unupgraded ones when you're doing things that don't require those abilities - picking weeds or slaughtering the wildlife? Swap out. Doing a delivery run, story or free roam mission? Put in the good one(s), even if they can't/won't gain from the XP.

Turning in collections gives XP - I just max-upgraded all but the five cards I'd already done, when I turned in all the max-amount collections on Sunday. I could also afford the upgrades, as I got stupid amounts of cash from it.

If they ever do another Outlaw Pass, that works the same way - any XP gain counts - and just randomly stooging around you'll get the level-up ding as "oh hey you also got a bunch of free poo poo".

If. :smithicide:

I'm back to having actual poo poo to do in-game, now that I can loot shiny things again. Cleared most of Bayou Nwa, all of St Denis, all of Scarlett Meadows from the train tracks south, Blackwater and the country north/west up to Oji dam, then back to clear Strawberry before ganking a couple cougars for the daily. (Since pelt despawning was in full swing. Still kill gators, for meat/teef/gently caress gators reasons.)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I spend way too much time wandering around taking photos...

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 21, 2020

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Dick Trauma posted:

I spend way too much time wandering around taking photos...

She looks like a posed mummified corpse on display that you can get your picture taken.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Please do not steal my business plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Managed to get two distant deliveries completed last night, using my "low amount of goods" strategy posted earlier. From the mudflats outside Black Belle's shack, first went to Wallace Station, and the next to Bacchus. Both times the pathfinding wanted me to run the wagon right through Valentine gently caress you game there's a limit as to how stupid-ballsy I'm gonna play.

Otherwise, collected some, murdered wildlife and random assholes, managed to get into a high-speed horse T-bone in St Denis (dude was murdering all the cops, luckily either he considered it a legit accident or was too busy FTP'ing to murder me, while I reloaded my birbs and gator skin onto the HORF).

Already maxed out my capacity for Cardinal Flowers lol. Chocolate Daisies are probably 50% full, and Wild Rhubarb.is just started.