Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

yeah they're cool
is the combat pretty xcom/wasteland style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

jesus WEP posted:

is the combat pretty xcom/wasteland style?
i’ve played a bit and it’s more like a jrpg tactics than xcom/wasteland. the turns are kind of hosed too (enemy acts every other turn so if you have 4 dudes on one big dude he acts 4 times for every full squad worth of actions). also the health/strength of a unit are the same iirc

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i love how in the deadly premonition games York just walks in on some insanely hosed up situation going on and just nonchalantly starts smoking a cigarette

dude is nonchalant as hell and I love it. "I've always wanted to tell you... you're one crazy guy."

time to get a latte and do some tasseography with the foam pattern

e: also harry had the right idea, gas mask all the time

psiox fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 17, 2020

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

GOG have Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War as a freeb at the moment if turn-based strategy is your bag

https://www.gog.com/game/warhammer_40000_rites_of_war

burning swine
May 26, 2004

subnautica is real good

in case the info is helpful to anybody, I was having problems with really, really low framerates in some areas (the ship, kelp forests) despite a high end system (3900x, 2080ti). Whilst googlin' I saw someone mention that the game apparently has some optimization issue resulting in poo poo performance when hyperthreading is involved. Solution: after launching change the process affinity to use only even numbered cores. I figured this was BS, but I tried it anyway, and lo and behold everything is smooth as butter now. Weird poo poo

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i finished god of war 2018. it was good. not sure what i’ll play next. maybe witcher 3 finally

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

every time i try to get into witcher 3 i get deeply put off by it. i think the biggest issue is that geralt is a fuckin dumb bland boring character, and you have to put up with his generic voice saying predictable poo poo like the whole game

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i liked the Witcher 3 but it does have some issues. towards the end I just decided to stop doing the (previously enjoyable) side quests because there were just too loving many. plus some of the basic sidequest types get really repetitive - you'll lose track of how many ghosts of women who died tragic deaths where you have to find their bodies and then do a fight where you have to trap them a bunch of times with magic. that being said, I only reached that point after like 50-60hrs of gameplay. there's a lot to like too

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i think my biggest issue with the witcher series is they're all really bad games

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have played the first few hours of witcher 3 like 4 times

there's nothing obviously horrible about it, it just doesn't grab me for some reason

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 21, 2020

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it's a quality game, don't let the usual parade of "well actually it's bad" discourage you from giving it a shot

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I bought a GPD XD plus android (lmao) emulation portable shaped like a 3ds. it’s such a blatant rip off but it’s also really cool and good.

I mainly use it to play Mario golf 64 in bed and for that it owns

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

ghost of tsushima owns.

for some reason it wasn't really clicking with me at first, but after playing for a while it clicked and now i'm loving it. the camera is a bit of an issue sometimes and i feel like the fov could be wider but its still a pretty good game.

its kinda like Far Cry With A Samurai

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I want to play it so fuckin bad

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I want to play it so fuckin bad

:same:

i keep buying used ps4 games tho and i need to stop my backlog is absurd rn

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so many 3rd person games have this stupidly tight field of view then rush enemies at you from every direction

the bad camera made me absolutely hate the ff7r demo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

all games these days have poo poo default fields of view because they're designed to run in 720p on a 34" tv ten feet away. in some first person shooters it can be as low as 50 degrees. makes me sick real fast.

proper fov is 90 degrees on a 16:9 monitor and 115 degrees on a 21:9.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

qirex posted:

so many 3rd person games have this stupidly tight field of view then rush enemies at you from every direction

the bad camera made me absolutely hate the ff7r demo
gow2018 i feel avoided this problem but then again it had a dedicated button for doing a 180

i think i might do yakuza 0 before Witcher 3 now but appreciate all the takes from my posting pals

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

proper fov is as wide as the slider will let you go

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I hated the Witcher 1 and 2 but the quests in Witcher 3 are like the gold standard of anything. If you don’t like them then you probably aren’t really into those kinds of games to begin with

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Uptime Sinclair posted:

gow2018 i feel avoided this problem but then again it had a dedicated button for doing a 180

I hate that button, it always disorients me

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

ghost of tsushima owns.

I'm about 20hrs in and it is almost 100% the Tenchu remake I wanted. There are so many amazing parts that complete the whole, but even with the story being somewhat of an "afterthought" regarding authenticity it still holds up and looks amazing as gently caress.

e: the photo mode alone deserves a loving award

https://twitter.com/jimprov/status/1284687864895344646

https://twitter.com/jimprov/status/1284531090221301760

https://twitter.com/jimprov/status/1285028066620841989

Video Nasty fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 22, 2020

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I just finished playing Cuphead. It was very entertaining and good to pick up for a half hour in between meetings.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

proper fov is as wide as the slider will let you go

I played something recently (I think it was the rise of the triad remake) where the FOV slider had about 10 named presets, the largest was called "quakecon" and it was 180 degrees

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

burning swine posted:

I played something recently (I think it was the rise of the triad remake) where the FOV slider had about 10 named presets, the largest was called "quakecon" and it was 180 degrees

hell yes

i used to play q3a at an fov of like 110-120 and it was perfect

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Whatever fov half life 2 launched with made me sick as gently caress, I'd play for an hour and then I'd have to lay down

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I hated the Witcher 1 and 2 but the quests in Witcher 3 are like the gold standard of anything. If you don’t like them then you probably aren’t really into those kinds of games to begin with

I've bounced off witcher 2 and 3 multiple times. they're really good games, but just not my thing

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I feel it'll be the same for cyberpunk 2077

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Whatever fov half life 2 launched with made me sick as gently caress, I'd play for an hour and then I'd have to lay down

yeah that game is like 60-70 degrees by default.

i don't understand how people play the games with that narrow of a fov but i assume they are much slower and shittier at it than i am.

these people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3pQ0oO_cDE

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm agonizising over ghosts of tsushima though, that is 100% my poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_iU_gnn28U

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
samurai and mongols, how can I not play that poo poo

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
my dream game is like natural selection mod + paradox map game

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i got drunk and spilled beer all over my htc vive and it doesn't work now. i don't really feel like debugging the issue.

should i buy an index

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
do you still use it a lot

be honest

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I've bounced off witcher 2 and 3 multiple times. they're really good games, but just not my thing

I feel that. I haven’t actually finished any of them. Witcher 2 I stopped because it is bad and I moved country in the middle of three and haven’t played it since.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

this but for nu hitman

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i got drunk and spilled beer all over my htc vive and it doesn't work now. i don't really feel like debugging the issue.

should i buy an index

throw it in the garbage where vr belongs

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

should i buy an index

I hear indices are real good but the 3-4 month wait is killer. im interested in the new hp set but i imagine if its any good supply will be just as constrained

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i really hope PSVR2 is a real thing and that it will be amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

throw it in the garbage where vr belongs

elite dangerous is cool as gently caress in vr