Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Retro Futurist posted:

*banging on the table*

SHOOT! OUT! SHOOT! OUT! SHOOT! OUT!
It'd be stupidity verging on nihilism

we'd be legends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

tpink posted:

Now we’re talking, phew.

##vote tpink - this sounds like the reaction of someone who doesn't have a dayvig to me~

Steak, I would highly advise against shooting cheese sandwich today - I really don't see the scum angle to burning a dayvig like that.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow, so based on the softclaims, that's at least 4 players with a dayvig. that just makes me more confident that at least 1 scum player would have one too

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Lol

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

same.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Power of Pecota posted:

##vote tpink - this sounds like the reaction of someone who doesn't have a dayvig to me~

Steak, I would highly advise against shooting cheese sandwich today - I really don't see the scum angle to burning a dayvig like that.

That was in response to Steak committing to shoot cheese sandwich, silly.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

*banging on the table*

SHOOT! OUT! SHOOT! OUT! SHOOT! OUT!

It honestly looks like that may be the way this game unfurls.

Do we want to get together before lunch and just (don't write gush in each other's faces, don't write gush in each other's faces) gush all over the place?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Mr. Steak posted:

wow, so based on the softclaims, that's at least 4 players with a dayvig. that just makes me more confident that at least 1 scum player would have one too

Five by my count - cheese sandwich, you, me, Opop, and Andy (also Spoonsy previewing before submitting this)

If anyone wants to go on record that they don't have a dayvig as town I'll reconsider where I'm coming from, but setup-wise town dayvigs are mildly pro-scum (odds are higher they're hitting town by the numbers) and scum dayvigs are incredibly pro-scum (you can just straight-up skip LYLO/MYLO if you get there). I'm thinking town has them and scum doesn't - even if we figure out that's the gimmick pretty early on, it turns into who's bluffing about having a dayvig.

tpink posted:

That was in response to Steak committing to shoot cheese sandwich, silly.

I get it, but if you have a dayvig and you see that cheese sandwich and Steak have them too, why is that your reaction? As soon as cheese used his, my thought was "there's got to be a bunch of these floating around" since I have one too, hence my question to Andy.

I don't agree with cheese's move, but I don't see how shooting a random person who you know won't flip as scum out of the gate is the play as scum. Getting excited seeing town turning on each other for poorly used dayvigs? Now that's scum paper.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Spoonsy posted:

It honestly looks like that may be the way this game unfurls.

Do we want to get together before lunch and just (don't write gush in each other's faces, don't write gush in each other's faces) gush all over the place?

Also probably obvious from context in my last post, but I think we can and should slow this down and play it rather than going all Free Fire (2016). I'm expecting some itchy gusher fingers at the end of the day because it'd be silly to expect anything else, but I think a gush-off right away is a good way to lock in a town loss.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Power of Pecota posted:

Also probably obvious from context in my last post, but I think we can and should slow this down and play it rather than going all Free Fire (2016). I'm expecting some itchy gusher fingers at the end of the day because it'd be silly to expect anything else, but I think a gush-off right away is a good way to lock in a town loss.

Oh, agreed. High Noon will be at some point tomorrow evening.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Power of Pecota posted:

I get it, but if you have a dayvig and you see that cheese sandwich and Steak have them too, why is that your reaction? As soon as cheese used his, my thought was "there's got to be a bunch of these floating around" since I have one too, hence my question to Andy.

You're again misinterpreting my post, even after I clarified it - my reaction wasn't "oh wow, Steak has a dayvig too," it was "oh, Steak said he's committed to shooting cheese." I don't know why that's so unclear to you.

Power of Pecota posted:

I don't agree with cheese's move, but I don't see how shooting a random person who you know won't flip as scum out of the gate is the play as scum. Getting excited seeing town turning on each other for poorly used dayvigs? Now that's scum paper.

Ummmm how do you (or cheese for that matter) know that sandnavyguy won't flip as scum?

:thunk:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Power of Pecota posted:

If anyone wants to go on record that they don't have a dayvig as town I'll reconsider where I'm coming from, but setup-wise town dayvigs are mildly pro-scum (odds are higher they're hitting town by the numbers) and scum dayvigs are incredibly pro-scum (you can just straight-up skip LYLO/MYLO if you get there). I'm thinking town has them and scum doesn't - even if we figure out that's the gimmick pretty early on, it turns into who's bluffing about having a dayvig.
I had this thought too. Here's the thing, though: If it's true, the game is winnable today.

- Three more people shoot three other people, at random. It doesn't matter. What matters is that now we have four confirmed town and five unconfirmed. Worst case: 3 scum and 2 dayvigs remaining.

- Again picking at random, someone in the unconfirmed group has to shoot someone else. If they cannot do so, they're scum and one of our remaining dayvigs shoots them. Worst case is that they can, and the random target was the other townie, so: 8 alive, 3 unconfirmed.

- If that worst case comes up, we'll know when none of the remaining unconfirmeds can shoot each other, and oh look, there's all the scum. We vote one out each day.

So... we actually kinda need to figure out if we think it's true or not.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CapnAndy posted:

I had this thought too. Here's the thing, though: If it's true, the game is winnable today.

- Three more people shoot three other people, at random. It doesn't matter. What matters is that now we have four confirmed town and five unconfirmed. Worst case: 3 scum and 2 dayvigs remaining.

- Again picking at random, someone in the unconfirmed group has to shoot someone else. If they cannot do so, they're scum and one of our remaining dayvigs shoots them. Worst case is that they can, and the random target was the other townie, so: 8 alive, 3 unconfirmed.

- If that worst case comes up, we'll know when none of the remaining unconfirmeds can shoot each other, and oh look, there's all the scum. We vote one out each day.

I like it, but that's a pretty large sized if

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

I like it, but that's a pretty large sized if
I'm aware, yes.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

tpink posted:

You're again misinterpreting my post, even after I clarified it - my reaction wasn't "oh wow, Steak has a dayvig too," it was "oh, Steak said he's committed to shooting cheese." I don't know why that's so unclear to you.

Ummmm how do you (or cheese for that matter) know that sandnavyguy won't flip as scum?

tpink, you are voting cheese sandwich because you believe he is scum, correct?

Do you think as scum, his first move in the game would be to immediately shoot another member of the scumteam?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Wait, looking back you're not voting cheese right now - still, signing on with a "now we're talking" on him getting shot at the end of the day is basically the same thing, you're saying you want to see him removed from the game

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
No, I haven't really made up my mind if he's scum, which is why I'm not voting for him yet. On one hand, shooting someone at random an hour into the game is definitely not pro-town play - if you're town, you're still more likely to hit other town statistically speaking, and I don't see how that's helpful obviously. On the other hand, it would be a hilariously dumb opening move for scum to take because there's a really good chance he's going to get voted out or taken out by a vig. All things being equal, though, I don't mind him being taken out of the game if this is the kind of pro-town playing he's going to be doing. :shrug:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Okay, I get where you're coming from there.

Now, do you have a dayvig?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

tpink posted:

:ironicat:

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I’m not going to write an essay on the virtues of dayvigging but that was a shameful waste of a dayvig.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Looking back at sng’s reaction it seemed like he might’ve understood what was coming when he saw the action so without seeing the flip I’m assuming he had one too

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

tpink posted:

No, I haven't really made up my mind if he's scum, which is why I'm not voting for him yet. On one hand, shooting someone at random an hour into the game is definitely not pro-town play - if you're town, you're still more likely to hit other town statistically speaking, and I don't see how that's helpful obviously. On the other hand, it would be a hilariously dumb opening move for scum to take because there's a really good chance he's going to get voted out or taken out by a vig. All things being equal, though, I don't mind him being taken out of the game if this is the kind of pro-town playing he's going to be doing. :shrug:

Is this your pro town suggestion?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CapnAndy posted:

actually i think the worst case there would be 5 scum

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
more seriously tho, this many vig's, even if we're all town, means the scum could also easy win today too

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*easily

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

cheese sandwich posted:

Is this your pro town suggestion?

Yeah.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mr. Steak posted:

more seriously tho, this many vig's, even if we're all town, means the scum could also easy win today too
If the scum aren't vigs and if we do exactly my plan, we win.

Big ifs, but the plan itself works.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for the record, in the event anyone decides to vig randomly in case of being nightkilled or whatever, i think it'd be best to target someone who no longer has a dayvig. it'd probably be better for scum to eliminate net vig charges in town's possession, plus the flip of someone who vigged someone else has high potential to be informative

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Mr. Steak posted:

Oh, 100%. This is a chaos setup.

Mr. Steak posted:

for the record, in the event anyone decides to vig randomly in case of being nightkilled or whatever, i think it'd be best to target someone who no longer has a dayvig. it'd probably be better for scum to eliminate net vig charges in town's possession, plus the flip of someone who vigged someone else has high potential to be informative

Strong disagree here from what I was saying earlier balance-wise - with this many vigs I think it's unlikely scum have them. If everyone has a vig period, then for every scum there's effectively a free nightkill, it moves the balance from "can end on D1" to "probably ends D2 at the latest"

CapnAndy posted:

If the scum aren't vigs and if we do exactly my plan, we win.

Big ifs, but the plan itself works.

That makes sense to me - we've got some time to set it up though, I'd be really interested if anyone claims as town without the ability to gush.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

If all these vigs are 100% guaranteed to work (which is crazy) I sorta agree with the Andy idea, but I think only town having vigs seems sorta broken so that's a pretty big leap

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

cheese sandwich posted:

##gush sandnavyguy

Maybe reading tea leaves too much, but sounds from sandnavyguy’s reaction like he knew what that gush action would do?

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Hal Incandenza posted:

If all these vigs are 100% guaranteed to work (which is crazy) I sorta agree with the Andy idea, but I think only town having vigs seems sorta broken so that's a pretty big leap

I dunno, scum having day vigs in addition to night kills seems sort of broken too?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

tpink posted:

Maybe reading tea leaves too much, but sounds from sandnavyguy’s reaction like he knew what that gush action would do?

If SNG had the exact same action he'd definitely know, although it would be hilarious if we all had gushing abilities but they weren't all kills

also I'm not sure if I like Andy's plan - a lot of it hinges on having a setup where town is all/has all the dayvigs, and that seems like it would really gently caress up balance unless there's either a lot of scum, or if some of the scum are vig-proof in some way. Even one scum with a dayvig would make things incredibly murky based on the assumptions so far.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

tpink posted:

I dunno, scum having day vigs in addition to night kills seems sort of broken too?

Maybe there is no nightkill and this is just a secret lights-out nightless game and we just have to figure poo poo out for ourselves

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Epsilon Plus posted:

If SNG had the exact same action he'd definitely know, although it would be hilarious if we all had gushing abilities but they weren't all kills

That’s what I am getting at - I read his response as knowing what was coming, meaning I think he had the same action, so whichever way he flips, it’ll be informative of whether just town has dayvigs or scum too.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I mean unless I'm shot before I do it, I intend on shooting someone before hammer today. Because normal keep your powder dry vig rules seem to not apply here.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Epsilon Plus posted:

also I'm not sure if I like Andy's plan - a lot of it hinges on having a setup where town is all/has all the dayvigs, and that seems like it would really gently caress up balance unless there's either a lot of scum, or if some of the scum are vig-proof in some way. Even one scum with a dayvig would make things incredibly murky based on the assumptions so far.
Absolutely very true, and we shouldn't do it unless we're sure.

First things first: would anyone like to assert that they are town and do not have a dayvig?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tpink posted:

crack theory: there's no nightkill, every player has a vig :tinfoil:

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hal Incandenza posted:

Maybe there is no nightkill and this is just a secret lights-out nightless game and we just have to figure poo poo out for ourselves

oh u beat me to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Oh hi this game started :sun:

I will be back later to read what I missed!