Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

When they say they support liberty and the individual and all that poo poo, what they mean is that they support a moral order where the strong can do whatever they want to the weak. They love the idea of suffering and sometimes even think they deserve it for not being stronger when it happens to them.

Which is exactly why gun nuts are so deathly afraid of being a victim. The crime wasn't what wronged them, they wronged themselves by being weak and they deserved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

The Glumslinger posted:

In 2013/4 Dems still controlled the Senate

Yeah that makes sense. I was thinking 2010 I guess.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1284162207232733185

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

VH4Ever posted:

Sure, Rhenquist, and he was Chief Justice. Just look at the video of him administering the oath of office in early 2005, dude's barely standing up. He died shortly after.

You might want to go check who ran the Senate in early 2009. We'll wait.

Dreaming of a world where RBG & Breyer both retired in 2009, and the Senate took 5 minutes to repeal the clusterfuck of a bill the requires USPS to prefund half a century of pensions for no good reason at all.

Just imagine.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

e: nvm

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 17, 2020

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

The Glumslinger posted:

In 2013/4 Dems still controlled the Senate

I think you both have a point. They didn't believe the idea, at the time, that McConnell would literally never allow another SCOTUS appointment. Whether or not this was naive is up for debate, but even what he did in an election year was absurd and unprecedented. Once it was clear that he was willing to go that far, it was too late.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Most countries have retirement ages of around 75 for judges and it's loving embarrassing that all liberals can do now is hope that this women whose had multiple surgeries the past few years and rather frequent bouts with cancer doesn't die because she was to arrogant to not retire back in 2013 despite frequent calls from law professors/scholars for her to do so.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 17, 2020

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Christ kemp sucks poo poo

https://twitter.com/deitaone/status/1284104563746799620?s=21

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

loving douchebag gasbag

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Monaghan posted:

Most countries have retirement ages of around 75 for judges and it's loving embarrassing that liberals can do now is hope that this women whose had multiple surgeries the past few years and rather frequent bouts with cancer doesn't die because she was to arrogant to not retire back in 2013 despite frequent calls from law professors/scholars for her to do so.

https://twitter.com/richardjwolf/status/1284159269122846721?s=19

It's going to be a long six months.

Better light up the notorious RBG candles!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

“Urges” so hes not officially mandating it. So this means nothing.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

No, dont listen to *those* people telling you to wear a mask! They don't know what they're talking about.

Listen to *me*, I'm saying wear a mask! I know what I'm talking about!

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

"We stand with both African Americans and the cops but definitely mostly just the cops"

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1284174712386576385?s=20

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Rainbow Knight posted:

i said that it was either that they care more about notoriety or profits, and my initial take was that someone feels that their financial interests are being threatened so i brought up notoriety because it would be an absurd comparison

They're not profiting from it. Even if they were, what you are proposing is still dumb because their current and future work would be compromised.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:10bux:

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1284173037101776898?s=20

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Djarum posted:

She just needs to live 6 months.

The Republicans already stole the Supreme Court. It happened. What makes you think this matters and/or they won't just steal her seat too?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mat Cauthon posted:

Looks like official results are in from the NY primary.

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1284144985651249154?s=19

gently caress yeah, great news.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

The Republicans already stole the Supreme Court. It happened. What makes you think this matters and/or they won't just steal her seat too?

I mean, if Biden is the president and the senate switches around a bit, she might get a good replacement.

But yeah, they did, we all watched it happen

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Aspirational whiteness/I came here the right way/I'm not lazy like them. There are a ton of minorities that would probably be republicans if not for America's tradition of white supremacy, so it's no surprise that a small number of them underestimate or misidentify where they sit in the racial hierarchy. There were a ton of stories back in 2017 or so about confused trump voters getting dragged away by ICE while screaming that there must be some mistake because they're one of the good ones. Even ICE itself has a huge number of latinx agents going around black-bagging people and working the camps.

Also abortion

For some religious people abortion trumps all other concerns

See what I did there

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1284157468109451264

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/AlecMacGillis/status/1284166099735646210?s=19

https://twitter.com/JessforDelaware/status/1284176048507293697?s=19

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Mat Cauthon posted:

https://twitter.com/richardjwolf/status/1284159269122846721?s=19

It's going to be a long six months.

Better light up the notorious RBG candles!

Yeah once it hits the liver you're basically hosed. Just ask Steve Jobs.

Oh, wait...

Mat Cauthon posted:

Dreaming of a world where RBG & Breyer both retired in 2009, and the Senate took 5 minutes to repeal the clusterfuck of a bill the requires USPS to prefund half a century of pensions for no good reason at all.

Just imagine.

Yup. I blame Harry Reid, I mean, HE formed the agenda back then, right?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

nerve posted:

I'll never not be furious with RBG
:shrug: seems like if she makes it to retirement under a Biden administration with a Dem Senate then... she was right?

sexpig by night posted:

she is, genuinely, one the greatest villains in modern american politics. She's literally so focused on her very racist 'brand' that she couldn't even retire with dignity and now we get real good odds of trump getting to cram a judge through in fuckin October
Circling back on your earlier post about threatening to attack Obama with charges of sexism and bigotry if she was forced into retirement, I'd still love to see a source. It's one I hadn't heard and is extremely hosed up if true. Still think it may be possible you've confused her with DWS who did threaten Obama with those attacks if she was forced out of the DNC spot during his presidency.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Didn't she already have liver cancer?

Jesus christ what are we doing, why does the fate of the world rest on an ancient woman not dying from one of the multitude of cancers she's had

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The Oldest Man posted:

If RBG dies before Biden is in office then the court will be expanded and likely see term limits enacted as well. Right now the chance of that is already high in general with the Federal courts. Mitch knows this and his one and only goal is try to keep what will likely be his legacy intact.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
What's the realistic way of putting in term limits for the Supreme Court without a constitutional amendment?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I mean, the big stumbling block in any post-November nomination is going to be Trump getting his ducks in a row and nominating someone acceptable to the seat.

Plus the closer to 1/20/21 1/3/21 that the Senate confirms someone (assuming Biden wins and Democrats flip the Senate), the more likely that the public will view it as illegitimate and support court packing. Public support is always going to be the stumbling block for packing the court. McConnell or a segment of Senators might view it as too risky, especially when it's RGB and the Democrats are going to immediately be in a position to retaliate.

Now, if it's before November, or Democrats don't flip the Senate...

Edit: OF COURSE Congress and the president have different inaugurations.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 17, 2020

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

The last few sentences about the stick sound like a Cave Johnson quote.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/pamelacolloff/status/1283934311503323136

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Bizarro Watt posted:

What's the realistic way of putting in term limits for the Supreme Court without a constitutional amendment?
There isn't one.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Bizarro Watt posted:

None.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Monaghan posted:

Most countries have retirement ages of around 75 for judges and it's loving embarrassing that all liberals can do now is hope that this women whose had multiple surgeries the past few years and rather frequent bouts with cancer doesn't die because she was to arrogant to not retire back in 2013 despite frequent calls from law professors/scholars for her to do so.

But have you considered if she retired she might not have gotten to see that glowing movie about herself that I can't remember the name of?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Paracaidas posted:

:shrug: seems like if she makes it to retirement under a Biden administration with a Dem Senate then... she was right?

She's unfit to serve just like we'd be saying if she was a conservative justice.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Djarum posted:

If RBG dies before Biden is in office then the court will be expanded and likely see term limits enacted as well. Right now the chance of that is already high in general with the Federal courts. Mitch knows this and his one and only goal is try to keep what will likely be his legacy intact.
Oh word? How does that work, since doing so is well outside of McConnell's actual power?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Grondoth posted:

I mean, if Biden is the president and the senate switches around a bit, she might get a good replacement.

But yeah, they did, we all watched it happen

I doubt anyone good will be put on. Obama literally nominated the guy the republicans told him to nominate and they still hosed him.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Paracaidas posted:

If you roll a set of dice in a crap game and come up seven and win, you weren't "right" to plunk your chips down. Also, if you roll the same dice and come up snake eyes and lose, you weren't "wrong" to do the same thing. You either gambled and won, or gambled and lost. The chips are on the table but the dice are still tumbling so why don't we hold off on congratulating her for her brilliant betting strategy for a few more months, OK?

EDIT

The "right" or "wrong" here was whether it was wise to gamble at all, not as a dependency on winning or losing the bet that was made.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 17, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Paracaidas posted:

Circling back on your earlier post about threatening to attack Obama with charges of sexism and bigotry if she was forced into retirement, I'd still love to see a source. It's one I hadn't heard and is extremely hosed up if true. Still think it may be possible you've confused her with DWS who did threaten Obama with those attacks if she was forced out of the DNC spot during his presidency.

you know what you're right, I was and that's a big ol my bad.

She still refused to step down when it was smart so that's the main issue regardless, but yea you're right I had her and DWS mixed up in that, it seems RBG just said a normal 'nah gently caress that'.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Have we figured out a better answer to why McConnell was able to block Garland, other than "Obama let him?" There was never even a vote. Seems worded to me that the President has to submit a candidate for review by the Senate. I'm still pretty angry at Obama for being unwilling to go into Calvinball territory and proclaim that he submitted a candidate for review and review was declined, therefore his appointment had implicit approval and just... Ram it through. Ultimately force the court itself to decide, likely.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So Trump doesn’t understand what Executive Orders are again.

https://twitter.com/imkahloon/status/1284174070708350979

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Bizarro Watt posted:

One of the more realistic proposals for doing so would make a 18 year term for active justices, after which they would become a "senior justice" in which they would continue to have the title and pay but not hear cases unless they are called to. They could also serve on lower courts if they so choose, which is actually allowed now if the other justices approve.

It's something that has never really seriously been looked at since the Democrats have mostly held a majority so there was little worry of enacting reform and Republicans never had the power to do so and when they did they plotted to take over the courts instead of pushing reform that could hurt them or negate their wins in the long term.