Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bull3964 posted:

A.P Bio Season 3!

I liked AP Bio but not enough to subscribe to something just for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mooseontheloose posted:

They aired on Viacom Networks via Comedy Central but I do wonder has the rights at the moment.

I think US distribution of KitH is with AMC Networks at this point.

Edit: Amazon announced a revival of the show this spring, so they may have some skin in the game, as well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RBA Starblade posted:

I liked AP Bio but not enough to subscribe to something just for it

That's my take, I guess I'll just go back to mourning it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could just torrent it

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Newsradio and Psych movie 2 on the free tier would entice me to sign up for Peacock.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TV Zombie posted:

Newsradio and Psych movie 2 on the free tier would entice me to sign up for Peacock.

Psych 2 is in the free tier.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/vulture/status/1284160217014575106

Good for him, but also :smith:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Paul Simms was only 26 when he created Newsradio and he worked on the Larry Sanders show before that. Makes me feel like a piece of poo poo.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

So I want him to pass peacefully. But I also want Jeopardy to be filming at the time, because he says he says that he has a 30 second speech that his producer knows to save time for if he gives the signal.

I don't know man. All these guys on long running shoes are supposed to live fory. I need them to live forever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

oh jay posted:

So I want him to pass peacefully. But I also want Jeopardy to be filming at the time, because he says he says that he has a 30 second speech that his producer knows to save time for if he gives the signal.

I don't know man. All these guys on long running shoes are supposed to live fory. I need them to live forever.

I am consistently amazed that Johnny Gilbert is like 93 years old.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

oh jay posted:

Can't imagine the show without him, was it always with him? I've never so much as seen a guest host before.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

Can't imagine the show without him, was it always with him? I've never so much as seen a guest host before.

He took over in 84. The show had been on the air for ~20 years at that point.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Timby posted:

I am consistently amazed that Johnny Gilbert is like 93 years old.

listen to him here at 95 years old, he sounds better than people 20 years younger than him, it's incredible

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/jeopardy-announcer-johnny-gilbert-on-what-makes-the-show-special/vp-BBYt9uy

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Paul Simms was only 26 when he created Newsradio and he worked on the Larry Sanders show before that. Makes me feel like a piece of poo poo.

I’m rewatching Frasier and I discovered last night that I’m 2 years older than Kelsey Grammer was in season 1 :stare:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He took over in 84. The show had been on the air for ~20 years at that point.

Close. :eng101: The first incarnation ended in 1975 after beginning in 1964. The current syndicated incarnation began in 1984.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Medullah posted:

Rewatched Fringe for the first time since it's initial run.

Season 4 is the best season by far.

Season 5 is still awful.

John Noble deserved so many awards and accolades. The scene where he plays both Walter and Walternate sitting in the hallway discussing Peter and their lives was seriously one of the best TV scenes in my viewing history.

They really should have just ended it after Season 4.

That show made a ton of bold choices and has never received the celebration that it deserves. All the characters start out in a period of transition and don’t become their full selves for maybe half a season, and a ton of characterization is done by showing us alternate versions of them—older, younger, from over there, alternate-timeline over-there, etc. And they never soften the horror and shame of what Walter did to Walternate and his home. I kept expecting more to be revealed about why everything was hosed up over there, but it was 100% what Walter did. It’s amazing.

AND they weren’t afraid to get goofy sometimes, like with Leonard Nimoy’s ghost inhabiting Olivia.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
For more John Noble awesomeness, watch Sleepy Hollow

A show that deserved to be better. I don't think I ever finished it

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
John Noble was the best part of Sleepy Hollow and Fringe. Period.

In general, John Noble fuckin' owns.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sleepy Hollow is definitely a show that got worse the further along it got. Season 3 started with a soft reboot and then had a weird thing where they kept doing flashbacks to Crane's time in the war but they dropped the actors who played his wife and the pre-headless horseman so somehow all of his stories never involved them anymore. Also seasons 1 and 2 were very much Christian apocalypse and then in s3 all of a sudden everything involves fake Sumerian.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And then there was the inexplicable crossover episode with Bones

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love corporate synergy. It's why there was a Family Guy/Bones crossover as well

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I just can't muster the same enthusiasm for Sleepy Hollow after reading about how lovely the show was to Nicole Beharie. Shocking I know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a scene in the Fringe finale between Walter and Peter and it's so drat wonderful, I rewatched it the other day and I still get a little teary eyed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

There's a scene in the Fringe finale between Walter and Peter and it's so drat wonderful, I rewatched it the other day and I still get a little teary eyed.

The one with Walter and Astrid was also a doozy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

After Sleepy Hollow did the soft reboot in season three they did it again in season four.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And Fringe had the guts to drop poo poo when it wasn’t working. At the start of season two, they introduce a new fbi agent who’s interested in the fringe stuff and apparently studies ancient texts while doing her own secret stuff, but she never shows back up after the second episode. Then later the pretty good Kevin Corrigan shows up in a recurring role, has a fight with the main characters about something, and just fucks off for the rest of the season and is never mentioned again.

Also Peter’s secret past and mysterious underworld connections, and a few convolutions in the chain that leads Olivia to meeting Leonard Nimoy at the end of season one seem like they got streamlined halfway through.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

And Fringe had the guts to drop poo poo when it wasn’t working. At the start of season two, they introduce a new fbi agent who’s interested in the fringe stuff and apparently studies ancient texts while doing her own secret stuff, but she never shows back up after the second episode.

Then she got married to a prince.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

But I will never forgive them for not properly doing that Violet Sedan Chair vinyl scavenger hunt. I scoured every loving used record shop in Boston the day it was announced, including two in Walter’s neighborhood on the show where I thought maybe they’d be cute about it, and there wasn’t one to be found. Only two ever surfaced anywhere in the world, and there were supposed to be hundreds.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Then she got married to a prince.

Oh my god I never realized. I bet she dumped Fringe so she could be on USA to do lighthearted drama.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The one with Walter and Astrid was also a doozy.

Rewatching it was great because you know that moment was coming. I loved when Alternate Astrid shows up and he calls her by the correct name. The look on Astrid Prime's face was classic.

Near the end of season 3 when Peter gets hurt, Noble's "Peter!" and "He's my son!" is so heartbreaking.

And while we're talking about mister Noble I have to of course mention his dual role in Legends of Tomorrow as both Mallus and also John Noble on the set of Lord of the Rings, as they have to capture his voice because he sounds so much like Mallus.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
White Tulip was a hell of a Fringe episode

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I’m looking for a new “watch en episode before you go to bed semi awake “ show. I remember liking the first few episodes of Haven. How did that turn out? Worth watching?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

And Fringe had the guts to drop poo poo when it wasn’t working. At the start of season two, they introduce a new fbi agent who’s interested in the fringe stuff and apparently studies ancient texts while doing her own secret stuff, but she never shows back up after the second episode. Then later the pretty good Kevin Corrigan shows up in a recurring role, has a fight with the main characters about something, and just fucks off for the rest of the season and is never mentioned again.

Also Peter’s secret past and mysterious underworld connections, and a few convolutions in the chain that leads Olivia to meeting Leonard Nimoy at the end of season one seem like they got streamlined halfway through.

I think the Kevin Corrigan story had something to do with how an advanced humanoid race was wiped out by some world ending event? I guess it was already done in Assassin's Creed, Halo, Mass Effect, and a billion other games and books, but I was interested in that story.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the Kevin Corrigan story had something to do with how an advanced humanoid race was wiped out by some world ending event? I guess it was already done in Assassin's Creed, Halo, Mass Effect, and a billion other games and books, but I was interested in that story.

I didn’t like the whole first people thing because that plot had been done so much, so I really appreciated that it turned out that all the first people stuff was things that a future Walter chucked in a wormhole because he knew he’d need them

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Khanstant posted:

IIRC Ken Jennings did some guest hosting earlier this year and he’s been the main guy rumored to take over when Alex retires or passes. I’d be okay with that. The guy’s a little bland but he seems like an okay dude.

My personal pick would be LeVar Burton because he’s been doing education-related stuff for decades (not that a trivia game show is education-related per se, but you know what I mean), he’s got a great announcer type voice, and he’s a funny and charming dude.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Popelmon posted:

I’m looking for a new “watch en episode before you go to bed semi awake “ show. I remember liking the first few episodes of Haven. How did that turn out? Worth watching?

Yes.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Most of the 30 Rock special was garbo but kenneth doing an extended ad-read at the camera followed by his soul leaving his body got a genuine extended laugh from me.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IIRC Ken Jennings did some guest hosting earlier this year and he’s been the main guy rumored to take over when Alex retires or passes. I’d be okay with that. The guy’s a little bland but he seems like an okay dude.

My personal pick would be LeVar Burton because he’s been doing education-related stuff for decades (not that a trivia game show is education-related per se, but you know what I mean), he’s got a great announcer type voice, and he’s a funny and charming dude.

I think Ken Jennings would be great, but I don't think the studio would want him since he is pretty outspoken politically. They want the color beige to host the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah I just finished Cursed. It's really really good. It's dramatic and clever, and has a lot of really, really good casting.

It strikes me as one of those completely and totally unironic series, it that it has a sense of humour, but it never laughs at itself. The villains are incredibly smug and punchable, and the heroes are (with one, deliberate, exception) really cool and likeable people. I also love that it goes full on fantasy ham with its setting and world. It's vibrant and fantastic and there's a lot of really, really cool poo poo.

It's also so, so obviously calculated so that every moment has maximum impact, and a lot of it is riffing on the most popular elements of Game Of Thrones. You've got a subplot full of schemers living in a castle, huge shocking deaths, a fantasy uprising led by a heroic young woman, at least two different kids who are out for personal vengeance, viking raiders led by a total Stannis, grimy realpolitik abutting with fantasy ideals...

But I think it's clearly a lot more than that -- and I don't just mean because its actually willing to push the high fantasy elements, frequently and often. It never loses track of its emotional arcs, it's fast paced as FUUUUUCK, it carves out legitimately interesting spaces for the entirety of its massive, massive cast (the show doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word "minor character"), and the overall tragic structure of the narrative lends the entire thing a lot of emotional weight. You know the other shoe has to drop at some point, and that eventually the traditional Arthurian mythology is going to take over the plot, which means everything is that much more compelling, you know?

So yeah. Watch Cursed. It's really really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010