Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I didn’t think you were being a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Somberbrero (2): Spokes, Roydrowsy
Spokes (2): Somberbrero, dmboogie
dmboogie (1): Scientastic
Roydrowsy (1): sandnavyguy

Not Voting (1): Tommu

With 7 alive, it's 4 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 18th, 2020 at 3 a.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 8 hours.

What even is this box

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
Sorry, reading day now

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

Initial thoughts: spokes pinged me as being really pro text yesterday which I think is more of a towny thing in reflection.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

sandnavyguy posted:

I wish I could say we could use the Text debate to drill into people for voting out a townie, but imo Text was too performative NOT to be the pick which made it so scum would not have to very far to twist their words or capitalize on the inertia.

Agree with this statement. Text made day one super easy on scum.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

dmboogie posted:

i think textbook’s flip reflects poorly on science and i find it interesting that no one is bringing that up

I know this is 4 pages back but this REALLY pings me on dmboogie.

Science push on textbook was fine day one and his reaction was as about as good as any for a day one case

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

Scientastic posted:

DMB claiming my case was bullshit should have happened yesterday, he was happy to let two townies have a fight and sit back and not make any substantive comments

##vote DMBoogie

Will read more in a bit

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

I legitimately can't think of a single point roy has made which seems a bad thing imo.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Tommu posted:

I legitimately can't think of a single point roy has made which seems a bad thing imo.

Exactly.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
so let's say we flip roy. if roy is town, who would you think was scum? if roy flips scum, who would you think was town?

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

Somberbrero posted:

so let's say we flip roy. if roy is town, who would you think was scum? if roy flips scum, who would you think was town?

Without a deep read its entirely a null read on other players either way for me.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Tommu posted:

Without a deep read its entirely a null read on other players either way for me.

that's sort of my feeling, other than maybe making sng look better if roy flips scum, so that's not great.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
##unvote

I’m gonna be busy through mid-morning PDT tomorrow, but will hopefully catch our Euro and Aus pals online. My thoughts on Somber aside, I don’t want to be absent a big chunk of the discussion with my vote sitting on somebody at L-2 with (probably) 2 scum alive. (I’ll be thoroughly stunned if neither somber nor Roy is scum but I’ll be present for minimum 12 hours leading up to deadline so no reason to risk it) See y’all in the morning.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

dmboogie (2): Scientastic, Tommu
Spokes (2): Somberbrero, dmboogie
Somberbrero (1): Spokes, Roydrowsy, Spokes

Not Voting (1): Spokes

With 7 alive, it's 4 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 18th, 2020 at 3 a.m. EDT -- that's in about 22 hours, 49 minutes.

What even is this box

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Spokes posted:

I don’t want to be absent a big chunk of the discussion with my vote sitting on somebody at L-2 with (probably) 2 scum alive

We are in D2, and we haven't executed any scum yet, it seems odd to me to be speculating about how many scum there are, and odder still to be taking the number of scum into account when making voting decisions

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Somberbrero posted:

What's your point here? That we shouldn't flip Roy?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Scientastic posted:

And if so, is that because you think he's town, or because you think he's scum but that we would struggle to learn anything from his flip?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Scientastic posted:

my point is that it's risky because tomorrow we could be right back where we started.

by my count actually everyone has expressed support for flipping roy, yeah?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Somberbrero posted:

I don't think you have

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

my point is that it's risky because tomorrow we could be right back where we started.

I mean... I have some objections to that plan

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Scientastic posted:

I don't think you have

Oh, I didn't? Weird. I'm okay with it as a plan b. I'm going to reread my conversation with Spokes and see how I feel.

If I had to pick a third candidate it would be boogie lol

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Nothing else to add, Roy?

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I am gonna need a little time. I’m an admin at a school, trying to prepare for Covid insanity. I’ve little pockets of time here and there to check in, but won’t be able to do much if substance until after 2:00 (it’s a little after 11 now)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Roydrowsy posted:

I am gonna need a little time. I’m an admin at a school, trying to prepare for Covid insanity. I’ve little pockets of time here and there to check in, but won’t be able to do much if substance until after 2:00 (it’s a little after 11 now)

Well, we have time to wait I guess.

##unvote

I do feel like the Spokes case would be easier to push if he is town. Wouldn't it be easy for scum to take advantage of me if I'm wrong?

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

dmboogie (2): Scientastic, Tommu
Somberbrero (1): Spokes, Roydrowsy, Spokes
Spokes (1): Somberbrero, dmboogie, Somberbrero

Not Voting (2): Somberbrero, Spokes

With 7 alive, it's 4 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 18th, 2020 at 3 a.m. EDT -- that's in about 13 hours, 51 minutes.

What even is this box

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I am around.
Give me a little time to look some things over, and I will see what I can contribute, as a lot of you are eying me with suspicion

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Scientastic posted:

We are in D2, and we haven't executed any scum yet, it seems odd to me to be speculating about how many scum there are, and odder still to be taking the number of scum into account when making voting decisions

I agree with you -- and like IS said on day 1, yeah that's usually the case but if there's 3 scum then today is lylo (very unlikely and probably even proven false by the votes that have been cast already today) and I don't think there's only one scum.

It mostly seems worth speculating on to draw potential conclusions about who might be trying to protect their scum ally.

That said, my point was just that I didn't want somber to be eliminated while I wasn't here. I feel like he and I have had a lot of back and forth but nobody else has really commented on my case against him (and vice versa). So if people suddenly start agreeing today that's fishy to me and I want to be around for it. Which, now I am. hello!

I still have a good amount of suspicion on boogie, and at first I had the same issue at this point that Somber has with Roy except more so: certainly suspicious but what does a flip tell us and how do we avoid being back here tomorrow?

I think a scum flip on boogie certainly makes somber look more suspicious in theory. But after reading back through I don't know if somber would have fought that hard to protect a fellow scum. I think, assuming boogie is scum, that Somber could be a townie who already had beef with me and thought I was pushing boogie on shaky evidence and fought back hard--occasionally with shaky evidence of his own, to be fair. Or boogie may be town and Somber is scum who tried used me as an easy target, which is what I suspected with my case on him initially.

But if we do let boogie go another day and take out someone else, and THAT player flips town, suddenly we have a 5-player lylo where boogie is either scum or a potentially non-participating townie.

So I still suspect Somber, still suspect Boogie, still suspect Roy. Sci and Tommu seem town to me. It feels like SNG has posted a lot less today after being pretty heavily involved day 1, but his case on Roy seems solid. SNG was a pretty big critic of textbook but also so was almost everyone because textbook made it very easy for townies to suspect them and scum to pile on. That said: two of my suspects, Roy and Boogie. were both not on the Text vote. This feels like it should be a point in their favor as a town case, but it was such a runaway train that they could have just held off and chosen not to vote so they could point to it later as a town thing. I don't want to give them credit for that--and full disclosure, it should be said that I also wasn't on the vote.

Boogie has two votes today with solid rationale from two people who have pretty strong pro-town reputations. This feels like a spot where he should be very alarmed, and we've got nothing.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

So, I guess first and foremost the biggest case against me is that I haven't done enough for any of your satisfaction.

It isn't like everybody is slamming down big moves around here. Not that my life makes a difference, I signed up to the game and I'm going to honor that commitment to the best of my ability, but having not read or played a game in five years, I have to be honest I'm a bit rusty. Work requires mental energy, and so looking for minute details and scum slips, especially when out of practice, isn't easy.

I am getting called out a lot for my position in the whole textbook thing. In a nutshell - I felt a little bad for Textbook when people started to throw votes that way, and felt less good about it when they started to panic like a newbie. I turned out to be right, and somehow that makes me more suspicious than everybody who saw Textbook flailing about and acted like it was a scum move. People realized Textbook was flailing about, because at least one player (Somber claims this but I can't find it) tried to give them advice about not flailing like a newbie, then still voted them out as scum anyhow.

sandnavyguy posted:

Text, I appreciate that you came under heavy heat, and I agree that everyone’s jumped on your bandwagon pretty quickly. But, the best way to come out of this would not to be as performative, because even if you are town, building up such a staunch defense and so rapidly is pinging people like crazy

I feel like Sand is town. It seems like a lot of what they have done, was for the good of everybody, even if their conclusions about me are false. Also, giving advice to somebody who could potentially be town - would be a pro-town thing to do.

One way to look pro-town would be to claim that you did the same thing as Sand did... having not actually done it.

Somberbrero posted:

somber also spoke with text trying to offer them different options, which text rejected. somber is scum.

is that about right?

As far as Scientastic goes, I've not had much to say about them after naptime.
This was not an oversight.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Somberbrero posted:

I think you're wrong. I've gone back and forth on you but scientastic was correct to push you as a candidate. Your reaction was disproportionate, which means you're either just a volatile/nervous town player as Roy said, or you're nervous scum. Town players have a responsibility to scum hunt and that's what scientastic did.

I get why you don't agree with that interpretation. That's fair. However, it would be helpful if you could try to understand where it's coming from. I don't mean to come across as patronizing or condescending, I just think there's some miscommunication happening.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I think that Sand is town, and has done some of the most pro-town thinking in the game, again, even if I disagree with their current conclusions. (Maybe Scientastic was overestimating your abilities?)

Tommu hasn't had much to contribute, but for the most part, I am getting pro town feelings about them.

Scientastic - I feel better about now than I did day 1, but I don't have anything confirmed.

I don't have a strong read on Spokes. They started out all over the place, but I think the more they play, the more they get the hang of the game, the more helpful they are trying to be.

Boogie hasn't done much of anything in the game. If it comes down to them being lynched at the end of the day, I'd be okay with that. But, obviously not my first choice.

Most likely to be Scum:
Somberbrero

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

OK, I think I won’t be voting for Roy

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I also won’t be around for deadline, as I will be sleeping.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Spokes posted:

Boogie has two votes today with solid rationale from two people who have pretty strong pro-town reputations. This feels like a spot where he should be very alarmed, and we've got nothing.

This doesn’t really mean anything, though. Town players can (and to a certain extent should) often not care about votes on them, and scum players who are any good make a real effort not to appear like they care.

I think DMB looks bad for his play so far, but this is not adding to the case, it’s just nothing.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Roydrowsy posted:

I think that Sand is town, and has done some of the most pro-town thinking in the game, again, even if I disagree with their current conclusions. (Maybe Scientastic was overestimating your abilities?)

Tommu hasn't had much to contribute, but for the most part, I am getting pro town feelings about them.

Scientastic - I feel better about now than I did day 1, but I don't have anything confirmed.

I don't have a strong read on Spokes. They started out all over the place, but I think the more they play, the more they get the hang of the game, the more helpful they are trying to be.

Boogie hasn't done much of anything in the game. If it comes down to them being lynched at the end of the day, I'd be okay with that. But, obviously not my first choice.

Most likely to be Scum:
Somberbrero

So is this a process of elimination type deal? Because you don't mention me at all in that post.

Really don't care for how many non-opinions are in here either. Take a stance on Spokes, drat.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I think that post confirms you are a nice person at heart, which is why it is a shame I don't feel much better about you.
I actually have a lot of admiration for your game play as well.

Lets face it....

Sand said that stuff to Text first, and said it better.
You outright acknowledge they could be town (as I had suggested) , and throw out a crumb of goodwill - which works out well for you when they inevitably flipped town.

You later talk about how "textbook absolutely didn't have to be the pick" - but you did pick,
after doing what you could to plant the seeds to ensure you come out of this looking okay.

Like calling yourself too obvious a night kill choice.
What would make you so obvious? I don't pick up on that at all.
I think it is more language planted to remove the idea that you couldn't possibly scum.
It's cleverly executed.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Scientastic posted:

This doesn’t really mean anything, though. Town players can (and to a certain extent should) often not care about votes on them, and scum players who are any good make a real effort not to appear like they care.

I think DMB looks bad for his play so far, but this is not adding to the case, it’s just nothing.

That’s a good point, and it’s kind of a nuance of the game I hadn’t considered. Appreciate it.

I figured I might be misinterpreting something and that’s why I held off on the vote. I’d really like to see a better explanation of boogie’s heavy suspicion on you (Sci) based on what appeared to be a fairly standard day1 with a pretty egregious overreaction from text.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

So is this a process of elimination type deal? Because you don't mention me at all in that post.

Really don't care for how many non-opinions are in here either. Take a stance on Spokes, drat.

My stance on Spokes is that half the time the stuff they post is dumb and confusing.
The other half of the time, they seem to be trying in earnest to figure things out.

All things considered... if had to rank the order in which I thought people should be lynched, Spokes would be third.
You would be first.
Boogie second.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Sci most definitely overestimated me, yes :p

Ok, this changes things. So from the last few statements, we can fairly conclusively pair up Roy and Sci. If Sci is town, Roy is likely town, If Sci is scum, Roy is likely scum in the absence of a redirect or or miller. Given that this game is fairly straight forward, and that the mod isn’t familiar with death miller’s, I’m comfortable banking on the fact that we aren’t having night bingo shenanigans in a 9 person game.

I’m also fairly sure Sci is town.

My suspicion with Roy, as has been pointed out, is based on their lack of posts or content. They’ve given something important here, and the fact they didn’t jump on someone at this point is actually swinging away from scum to town given that scum could easily have pushed for a lunch as polarizing as this day has been, especially if they wanted to sit back and get an investigation in as some sort of cop.

I’m thinking our scum team is Somber and DM Boogie.

Somber, based on elimination and what I feel is a weak case on spokes that you keep clinging to, I’m gonna change my vote.

##vote Somberbrero

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Roydrowsy posted:

I think that post confirms you are a nice person at heart, which is why it is a shame I don't feel much better about you.
I actually have a lot of admiration for your game play as well.

Lets face it....

Sand said that stuff to Text first, and said it better.

You're trying to very neatly move past the point, it's moving the goalposts. First, you say that I had no such conversation with Text. Then when I produce that conversation, it doesn't matter because you think sandwolf did it better.

Roydrowsy posted:

You outright acknowledge they could be town (as I had suggested) , and throw out a crumb of goodwill - which works out well for you when they inevitably flipped town.

And this argument doesn't apply to anyone else who had hesitation about Textbook?

Roydrowsy posted:

You later talk about how "textbook absolutely didn't have to be the pick" - but you did pick,
after doing what you could to plant the seeds to ensure you come out of this looking okay.

I obviously tried hard to get Spokes dunked yesterday. There was little conversation after I voted. When Textbook would rather die than vote Spokes, there's not much I can do to change the vote.

Roydrowsy posted:

Like calling yourself too obvious a night kill choice.
What would make you so obvious? I don't pick up on that at all.
I think it is more language planted to remove the idea that you couldn't possibly scum.
It's cleverly executed.

Clearly I thought my conversation with Text had a larger impact than it did. No matter which way you shake it, I think IS was still an odd choice for the nightkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm not really following your reasoning sand. What don't you like about the spokes case?