Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Congratulations! You deserve it. Enjoy being eminently more employable!

Now get your GCP certs next.

Thanks for all the advice re: anonymous chat servers folks, appreciate it!

NGL, the only reason that I haven't sent out applications yet is that I have been drinking since roughly 6PM and while I'm not drunk, I don't trust myself not to make a few typos in my cover letters. I did put it on Linkedin though, so I expect by this time tomorrow I'm going to have gotten a bunch of spam from recruiters that have a position requiring 10 years of experience with Terraform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Update to the above is that this guy has been doing a load of work for a client and not logging any of it through our ticketing system so that it can be rebilled, and we found out when he gave my colleague a test account in his name to log into at this customer, the Outlook inbox was full of discussions and requests for support, none of it tallied up with any support tickets and so we were massively underbilling for the services we were provided.

Problem has solved itself.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm getting asked to do more big, stupid, risky maintenances whose effect would be a cosmetic no-op.

lol is this loving real. Third thing this week. No way: I can't believe I need to have this struggle over whether my time should be wasted or not.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

On a company conference call that I could barely pay attention to because I'm on a call with a client and vendor, but I managed to catch this line "Our engineers are true IT Warriors"

Yeah, I know you expect us to work 24/7/365, thanks for reminding me I'm in MSP semi-hell (at least I'm getting paid well and I generally wiggle out of working stupid hours)

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

RIP Cloudflare

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Clownflare

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Everybody panic

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm working late on some bs and we've got a critical open for our website, and we use Cloudflare. RIP indeed.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Seems like some stuff came back up, other stuff still down

Also: https://www.digitalattackmap.com/

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Speaking of MSPs I'm interviewing for a jump into management at one in Montana. Nature and skiing! Thats good! MSP. Thats bad. Management. Thats good!

I guess we'll see!

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

this is marketing garbage, do not take it seriously

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I don't know where to put this, but I've found possibly the dumbest thing ever.

I found a windows server with teamed NICs that were acting as a network bridge between 2 switches dividing a network in half. There was no fathomable reason for this to be a thing other than the guy just wanted to try it out.

Another engineer was trying to decomm the server but any time he turned it off would lose access to everything, he asked for help and it took me a bit to figure it out because I was ruling out everything else.

The whole time I was thinking "There's no way someone was dumb enough to do this" and yup, someone did it.

that's my story of not finding :tenbux:

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

LochNessMonster posted:

Whenever something breaks at $MEGACORP I usually have $THEBUSINESS on line 1 asking me what the hell is going wrong, how this could happen and how I'm going to make sure we are never going to get any downtime ever again. To be as transparent as possible about outages I've setup a post mortem page on our wiki that shows a detailed description of what went wrong, how it could've happened and actions we're taking to improve this (links to Jira and all). When outages happen I share this with management and teams we're supporting via mail and slack channels.

Still I get managers asking me stuff like "that post mortem stuff is all fine, but you still have outages so it doesn't work. I need you to freeze all production releases during my next marketing campaign that lasts 2 months". I usually tell them that they don't own the process nor the infra and we're not putting dozens of dev teams on hold because he's going to run a a campaign and thinks 99.99% is not enough uptime. If he wants to add a 9 he can allocate his budget to the infra/platform teams and they'll start working on that. It probably doesn't help that the company only just started working in an Agile way and most of the management is struggling hard with adjusting to it. It's always been more of an authoritarian organisation and now all of a sudden you have these self organizing teams.

For me this seems to be a recurring issue and no matter how well I try to explain the incidents, processes, solutions and planning we do to prevent them, I don't think I ever get the point across. Next time we have an incident (even though there's 4 months in between) I get escalations saying "see, LochNessMonsters platform is DOWN AGAIN!!!". Fun fact is that half of the time the escalating managers team broke something in a release, but that's still my issue because how is it possible that devs can break a production environment? Even though we have a clear seperation of infra/platform/application responsibilities.

How do 'mature' organizations deal with people complaining about downtime, even though it's well within limits of the SLA?

This chapter may be helpful (or may not): https://landing.google.com/sre/sre-book/chapters/embracing-risk/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

uniball posted:

this is marketing garbage, do not take it seriously

How's Akamai's data ?

https://globe.akamai.com/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MF_James posted:

I don't know where to put this, but I've found possibly the dumbest thing ever.

I found a windows server with teamed NICs that were acting as a network bridge between 2 switches dividing a network in half. There was no fathomable reason for this to be a thing other than the guy just wanted to try it out.

Another engineer was trying to decomm the server but any time he turned it off would lose access to everything, he asked for help and it took me a bit to figure it out because I was ruling out everything else.

The whole time I was thinking "There's no way someone was dumb enough to do this" and yup, someone did it.

that's my story of not finding :tenbux:

that's actually pretty amazing

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
At the risk of being tarred, feathered, and run out of town, Windows is a platform capable of doing strange, wonderful and terrible things. And do it with stability.

In my experience the problem with Windows is that it is accessible. The Windows GUI is friendly and juuuuuust intuitive enough that someone with a little bit of knowledge can fumble their way through an implementation and call it good. When it then bites them in the rear end due to misconfiguration, lack of testing, etc, they say "Ah, Windows sucks! It's unstable!" at which point the *nix fanboys swoop in and say "See?! I told you! Linux is better!"

IIS on Windows is stable as gently caress*
SQL Server on Windows is stable as gently caress.
Clustering on Windows is weird as gently caress. But stable.
Exchange on Windows is a huge kludgy mess. But stable as gently caress.
Sharepoint on Windows is... I don't know what it is. But it's stable at massive scale.

There are a zillion problems with the Microsoft ecosystem, from licensing to patch management, to third-party-cum-MS-product bolt-ons, and Microsoft can be pants-on-head stupid. But doing weird poo poo with the Windows platform and having it be a stable and resilient thing is totally possible and should be considered the norm.

*your code is bloated and doesn't release connections and memory handles properly. Fight me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I admin'd an .NET application running under IIS with a clustered SQL Server backend for 11 years and I would agree with all that. It was stable as gently caress and performed well even with the moderate amount of traffic we got. The only real problems we had to troubleshoot were developer induced ones by doing stupid rear end poo poo in the code or writing really bad queries on the SQL backend. Otherwise the stuff just ran and ran and ran.

I've moved on to a different team, but the application is still chugging along just fine with essentially the same configuration.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The biggest problem with Windows was letting people use it.

The second biggest problem with Windows was letting 3rd parties build software for it.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

The second biggest problem with Windows was letting 3rd parties build software for it.

Completely agreed. And a corollary to the latter is Microsoft's astounding efforts to maintain backwards compatibility. Which was an incredibly smart thing to do business-wise, since businesses don't have to upgrade their software every time a new release of Windows arrives. And is an incredibly awful thing to deal with...because businesses don't have to upgrade their software every time a new release of Windows arrives. (Can you imagine if Microsoft just said "hey guys by the way Win 10 2009 will only run 64-bit software kthx"?)

That's not to say you can always take a program from Windows 3.1 and run it on Windows 10, but the fact that you might sort of be able to, or at least you wouldn't rule it out immediately as a possibility, is incredible. (Didn't Microsoft or someone just release File Manager from that era and it runs?)

Not to say that Windows or Microsoft are the greatest, there are a whole lot of hosed up things (move all the Control Panel stuff into Settings or just give up on Settings, Microsoft, loving poo poo or get off the pot and stop having everything split across two places), but they deserve credit for creating a pretty stable environment that manages to deal with a whole lot more hardware than Apple does and, if set up correctly, can run things well without babysitting.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to do this loving migration of 15 year old software to a new Server 2019 box and it's going to suck balls why couldn't you have just said all old software won't work anymore on Windows 10 Micro$haft!! FUCKIN WINBLOWS!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The Fool posted:

I can't speak for some of the more complex things in here because I'm just a minnow, but at my job we help clients who have sometimes 2 dozen add-ins for Office products. Outlook just crashes and burns when there's these janky third party add-ins communicating with DMS servers and email archive servers and poo poo.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Back when I first started working in an IT job, I was under the false impression that the only way to resolve file locks on a Windows file server was to reboot the server. This is what happens when you give a 22 year old an admin password and tell them to "run this poo poo".

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I missed the File Manager thing but yep :stare: https://github.com/microsoft/winfile

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Microsoft should absolutely start ripping out backward compatibility features from the main Windows release. Have them as optional elements of the LTSC branch if you must, but the devices that people touch every day and go onto the Internet with doesn't need support for an API call that was replaced 15 years ago.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Agrikk posted:

At the risk of being tarred, feathered, and run out of town, Windows is a platform capable of doing strange, wonderful and terrible things. And do it with stability.

In my experience the problem with Windows is that it is accessible. The Windows GUI is friendly and juuuuuust intuitive enough that someone with a little bit of knowledge can fumble their way through an implementation and call it good. When it then bites them in the rear end due to misconfiguration, lack of testing, etc, they say "Ah, Windows sucks! It's unstable!" at which point the *nix fanboys swoop in and say "See?! I told you! Linux is better!"

This isn't really how it goes, and is an unnecessarily charitable interpretation IMHO of any situation you've been involved in where any of this was said. The problem with running windows at scale is the insane management burden it places on you and the overall lack of talent in the windows admin hiring pool. Since you work at AWS you probably don't have this problem, but generally my experience with windows admins is that they either only know how to click around or they know enough powershell to kludge together some unsustainable mess of scripts. I've been pleasantly surprised to find people writing cmdlets -- if someone actually wrote a module my jaw would hit the floor.

When you have a platform that is fundamentally challenging to manage, you run into misconfiguration problems. The *nix fanboys in this scenario are right.

Agrikk posted:

IIS on Windows is stable as gently caress*
SQL Server on Windows is stable as gently caress.
Clustering on Windows is weird as gently caress. But stable.
Exchange on Windows is a huge kludgy mess. But stable as gently caress.
Sharepoint on Windows is... I don't know what it is. But it's stable at massive scale.

IIS is a perfectly fine webserver except for that it runs on windows server, which is the enterprise operating system where the first thing you do on it is uninstall all of the xbox live arcade features. SQL Server is a fine database except it is also expensive as poo poo -- another problem you aren't likely to run into in AWS since you guys pass the per-core licensing model onto the customer.

From a SaaS business perspective the windows ecosystem is a really hard sell because, while it's all fine software, the increased management burden and licensing cost means you're hiring more admins, you're paying a shitload more (you are competing with products that are literally free) for your software, you're paying more for desktop licensing for people to develop your business applications since everyone needs a $6,000/year visual studio license, and you're not really getting anything that you wouldn't get from hiring sufficiently talented people to manage the open source versions of all of these products.

One of my first IT jobs was a junior sysadmin position at a place that was rewriting off of an ancient version of a relic of an application stack (Magic UniPaaS) onto a modern-ish .net framework stack. The project went out of budget pretty much instantly, after having spent 2 quarters re-implementing the absolute basics of the old application stack. The company laid off an entire wing of c# developers, which was insanely hosed up, but also instantly reversed profitability concerns because they were running the same features on the old stack with a fraction of the developers.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

Microsoft should absolutely start ripping out backward compatibility features from the main Windows release. Have them as optional elements of the LTSC branch if you must, but the devices that people touch every day and go onto the Internet with doesn't need support for an API call that was replaced 15 years ago.

Under the hood, a lot of this work is already done. Most 32bit calls are mapped to their 64bit version by a stub DLL (thunking layer) or API wrapper. The reason MS doesn't make this LTSC only is that there isn't a significant split in need for legacy compatibility between big business and the fishing gear store needing to run their legacy accounting software and POS interface on new hardware.

MS should be using their clout to get these vendors to offer an upgrade path, but every time something in that direction happens, it gets saddled with a million dumb unsustainable requirement (metro, windows store, etc) that MS then abandons. The only thing vendors can count on long term is legacy support, so that's what they use.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

quote:

since everyone needs a $6,000/year visual studio license

If you were dropping $6k a year per developer on VS, you were giving some sale's guy some pretty nice vacation bonuses. There's very little reason to use something beyond Professional edition in most development settings and that's like $1200 for initial license and $800 /year after that. Beyond that, get your dev team to take some competency tests and jump through a little bit of paperwork and you'll likely get most of your IDE licenses for free.

Even if you were using enterprise, only the initial price is $6k, it's $2600 /year after that.

That's all retail pricing too.

I mean, i'm not disputing that running a MS development ecosystem is more expensive, but this characterization is orders of magnitude too high.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

that's actually pretty amazing

If by amazing you mean an absolute loving troll by the previous on-site IT guy, yeah.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Outside of Indeed, Dice, LinkedIn and Craigslist. Is there anything I am missing for IT (non-development) positions?

I miss the Craigslist of the 2000s. Tons of gigs everywhere. :smith:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 19, 2020

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

12 rats tied together posted:

SQL Server is a fine database except it is also expensive as poo poo -- another problem you aren't likely to run into in AWS since you guys pass the per-core licensing model onto the customer.

I mean there’s RDS SQL server but ok

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

EoRaptor posted:

Under the hood, a lot of this work is already done. Most 32bit calls are mapped to their 64bit version by a stub DLL (thunking layer) or API wrapper. The reason MS doesn't make this LTSC only is that there isn't a significant split in need for legacy compatibility between big business and the fishing gear store needing to run their legacy accounting software and POS interface on new hardware.

MS should be using their clout to get these vendors to offer an upgrade path, but every time something in that direction happens, it gets saddled with a million dumb unsustainable requirement (metro, windows store, etc) that MS then abandons. The only thing vendors can count on long term is legacy support, so that's what they use.

Well, here's your problem with the fishing gear store. It's a general issue with vertical market software from real estate to the drivers that control, oh let's pick something completely at random, $500,000 mass spectrometers. Developing a good application with business logic clearly separated from implementation, and a supportable lifecyle as the underlying technology changes from1 6-bit, to Win32, to a .Net flavor, etc. requires professional developers and adhering to best practices throughout.

Guess what the overlap is between developers that know that stuff with developers who have the first clue what the special needs of a fishing gear store are. That Venn diagram is damned near a point. Then sub-select for fishing gear stores willing and able to pay for that. So they end up with someone's nephew cobbling something together and it kinda works. Or the BioPhysics major who picked up some Java in college knows exactly what they want a mass spectrometer to do, but all they know is Java so they use that, but they never thought that locking customers into a specific JRE version has some major downsides 5 or 10 years after the sale. Their bosses don't care because that's five or ten years after the sale and it's an upsell opportunity, not a customer service issue.

This is why it took a highly competent PM three months just to define the scope of our Win7 EOL project for research.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Gabriel S. posted:

Outside of Indeed, Dice, LinkedIn and Craigslist. Is there anything I am missing for IT (non-development) positions?

Angellist if you’re into those. That’s where I shop for jobs.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

jaegerx posted:

Angellist if you’re into those. That’s where I shop for jobs.

I read this as Angler-list and thought we were still talking about fishing stores.
An Angie's List of programmers for fishing stores seems useful though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Who would dare?

quote:

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Mostly site specific position focused on IT client based solutions enabling VIP and C staff to function. Position will be responsible for C-level Support and meeting support. Role will require a “self-starter” mentality and will require pro-active collaboration with Software Engineers, TDs, and senior IT staff to solve for title specific client issues affecting VIP/C level staff. Position to be focused on support for C-Level and meeting support using collaboration tools.

IT Desktop Support Specialist - Electronic Arts

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 19, 2020

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Pay is probably 18/hr

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What do you guys use to store information about IT in general?

Things I would want to store:

Random programming nuggets
Starter switch/router config stuff
Notes on doing things with SSL certs etc

I can store this all on something like dropbox but that doesn't lend well to work machines. Evernote might work. Maybe just an old composition book?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If it's just for me, OneNote. If anyone else might find it useful, it goes in our official doc site, which is currently Confluence.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 19, 2020

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Github or gists. Also my backlog in my shell.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Notion.so

Multi-device support + web browser

Has code highlighting

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Gabriel S. posted:

Glassdoor has been pretty solid for me these last few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The Fool posted:

Notion.so

Multi-device support + web browser

Has code highlighting

This is what we use as a knowledge base. It's really good for that.