Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Use this thread for general chat and shitposting that doesn't need it's own thread. if you're considering an effortpost, consider making your own thread for it instead.

Do people wear masks outside near you? WA has a statewide mask order and hiking wearing one sucks big time, but since trails are open and it's beautiful outside they're all nuts to butts busy. My mask elastic strap broke 3 miles in to a 7 mile hike last weekend and I had to cut a hole in the mask and tie the elastic back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fortunately most of the hiking trails in my area aren't super busy. It helps I go as early as possible in the morning, so I don't bother with a mask typically. Last hike I went on was 10 miles / 4 hours - I saw 3 people half way through, and then 2 more people entering the trail just as I was exiting.

Do any of you camp solo? What do you do for entertainment? I don't really have any "outdoorsy" friends, but I've been wanting to do more backpacking / primitive camping this year. But camping alone is depressingly boring :(

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
its too loving hot in arizona right now

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

When I was hunting mushrooms this spring the only face coverings I had were neck gaiters. I keep it pushed down when I’m in the woods on our land but between my facial hair and the cloth coloring on the gaiter I looked a little more paramilitary than I would like to look wandering around the woods.

I have a bunch of balaclavas now and wear those as my face coverings since I can put them on at home and they don’t move when I’m out and about. Plus they keep ticks away from my head, somewhat at least.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
When I'm out hiking, generally everyone will throw on their mask when someone else is within a few hundred feet, I'll take mine off if no one is around. I have been trying to focus more on doing less busy hikes to avoid having to deal with crowds.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

Sab669 posted:

Fortunately most of the hiking trails in my area aren't super busy. It helps I go as early as possible in the morning, so I don't bother with a mask typically. Last hike I went on was 10 miles / 4 hours - I saw 3 people half way through, and then 2 more people entering the trail just as I was exiting.

Do any of you camp solo? What do you do for entertainment? I don't really have any "outdoorsy" friends, but I've been wanting to do more backpacking / primitive camping this year. But camping alone is depressingly boring :(

A while back my wife and I car camped while we were driving thru PA on our way to a wedding. The dude in the campsite next to us rolled up in a little motorcycle and somehow managed to pack a banjo, guitar, and fiddle alongside all his camping poo poo. So I guess you could be like my guy and be a one man bluegrass band every night.

MackAddie
Jul 10, 2001

ROFLburger posted:

its too loving hot in arizona right now

Hey, it's cooled down! It's only going to get up to 108 today!

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Do any of you camp solo? What do you do for entertainment?

I camp mostly alone, also out of necessity. I bring paperback books, and my switch. But mostly I make sure I am somewhere I can have a roaring fire. I enjoy breaking down each step of the preparation and perpetuation of a campfire. And then carrying out each task with the scrutiny and passion available only to a human left completely alone with arguably nothing to do.

I recommend bringing a book about primitive camping with you. The older, the better. There is always room to learn more and any idea that springs from it can be tested immediately.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

I think reviving this forum is a lovely idea. I live on twenty acres in the middle of nowhere with terrible internet access, so every day is its own Great Outdoors adventure in its own mundane way. It'd be great to hear about how other goons spend their time outside, and get ideas for trips/activities to do once the Coronapocalypse subsides. I'm already making a list of the State Recreation Areas in Illinois that I've ignored for the last two decades that I'd like to visit and maybe take pictures of once this madness is over. And since dumbbells and barbell plates cost like $500 each on eBay/Amazon right now, taking hikes or going for bike rides definitely sound like the best exercise options left for those who don't want to risk going to the gym due to the murdergerms.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Just since this hit top level, its almost certainly had more new threads and posts than the last month. If you look at all the outdoorsy threads around SA in general, the interest is there, but getting goons to migrate to a central forum for all their outdoor activity needs will be the most difficult part. Seriously :justpost:.

I'm absolutely fuckin estatic seeing activity popping up here and will hopefully enjoy posting about dumb outdoors pursuits for years to come with new outdoors goon friends. :kimchi:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

I've been wanting to do more backpacking / primitive camping this year. But camping alone is depressingly boring :(

Booze, weed, books, camp fires, whittling, masturbation, sketching, exploring around camp, building out camp, meditation

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

MackAddie posted:

Hey, it's cooled down! It's only going to get up to 108 today!

monsoons when

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012
Went up to Muir Woods about a week ago and pretty much everyone was being cool about masks. Most people were chinstrapping it until they got closer and put them over their face until they passed.

Gotta say, loved that place. The whole idea of "national park on rails" is great for families with younger kids.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mud Shark posted:

Went up to Muir Woods about a week ago and pretty much everyone was being cool about masks. Most people were chinstrapping it until they got closer and put them over their face until they passed.

Gotta say, loved that place. The whole idea of "national park on rails" is great for families with younger kids.

Are the shuttle buses still running for it? Or is just on site parking?

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Are the shuttle buses still running for it? Or is just on site parking?

We paid the $8.50 or whatever for parking and didn't want to hassle with the shuttle anyway, but I'm pretty sure they aren't running them right now. Probably easier to limit the number of visitors through parking since there are very few ways in and out of the immediate area.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hi all! Live in Denmark, on my second year of a BA in cultural and natural heritage interpretation. Also known as 'dirt fondlers', our eventual job is to enable the public to have meaningful experiences with and in nature. I do foraging, iron age reenactment and some hiking in my spare time.

I'm pretty stoked about this forum, and I will ask a lot of questions - you're welcome to ask me back.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

This forum is a good idea. I look forward to reading a bunch of outdoorsy junk while sitting outside.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Get a dog, and maybe some better friends.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've got 2 dogs! They're poor conversationalists, though.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I've been spending a lot of time outside. I've been taking my kids on bike rides and out in my garden.

My garden has a great golden digger wasp living there. She's so drat cool. Imagine a regular old wasp, but scale her up 30% and give her bright orangey colours on her legs and abdomen. She's dug half a dozen holes near my shed, and she's gonna go find a bug, paralyze it, then put it in one of those holes, lay her eggs, then fill it in. She looks a bit scary, but she's not aggressive.

While biking I've been keeping an eye out for edible wild stuff. This time of year there are tons of mulberries, wild carrots, and sumac everywhere. I see tons of raspberries and wild grapes that aren't ripe yet. (I'll pick the raspberries when they are ready but I'm not quite so confident in picking wild grapes because I don't want to gently caress up and poison myself with the wrong small round fruit.) Yesterday though? I skidded to a stop and doubled back because I was pretty sure I saw a patch of garlic growing next to the bike path. And sure enough, there it was. A bunch of garlic about to flower. How'd it get there? I dunno.

My kids and I also saw a mink down by lake Ontario. It caught a fish while we watched. :3:

Outside is awesome.

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

Tias posted:

Iron age reenactment

Oh that's cool! I used to be kinda into the anarchist primitive skill scene, which is maybe uh I dunno if it's a meaningful categories, but stone age and pre contact American technology. Scandinavians really produce some of the best research and reenactments (tho my crowd never wanted to think of themselves as reenactors, they basically are). Why is it? Is there just a general interest in heritage and traditional skills encouraged in the school system there? If you're up for it, I think TGO could use an ancient tech thread! I would be so down to share what little I know about tanning hides, foraging and herbalism.

Jimbozig posted:

My kids and I also saw a mink down by lake Ontario. It caught a fish while we watched. :3:

That's such a dream of mine. How lucky... Also so cool your kids were with you, they'll always remember that

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

HamAdams posted:

A while back my wife and I car camped while we were driving thru PA on our way to a wedding. The dude in the campsite next to us rolled up in a little motorcycle and somehow managed to pack a banjo, guitar, and fiddle alongside all his camping poo poo. So I guess you could be like my guy and be a one man bluegrass band every night.

god that would piss me off so much. people didnt come to hear you play music no matter how good you are

one lady in yellowstone with a guitar had a very beautiful voice but 45 minutes into her 'performance' I told her to stfu and i dont feel bad about it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
that and they always want to bust out the instruments around the campfire at midnight after drinking and you need to get up early the next morning to start hiking

Sab669 posted:

I did my first solo backpacking trip earlier this year, surprisingly wasn't really an issue with loneliness or boredom, even going to bed at night alone in the middle of the wilderness. Spending all afternoon reading on my second day wasn't quite as good as advertised though because it was super windy and the lake I was at had no fish anyways so I didn't have a ton of entertainment options (also had torn up my heels so doing some exploring wasn't as inciting)

I dunno if I"d roll up to car camp by myself, maybe if it was someplace with great dayhiking nearby, but I'd probably rather plan a backpacking trip even if it was a short hike in to camp

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017

Jimbozig posted:

My garden has a great golden digger wasp living there. She's so drat cool. Imagine a regular old wasp, but scale her up 30% and give her bright orangey colours on her legs and abdomen. She's dug half a dozen holes near my shed, and she's gonna go find a bug, paralyze it, then put it in one of those holes, lay her eggs, then fill it in. She looks a bit scary, but she's not aggressive.

This is the stuff of my nightmares... 😥

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
we hiked a bit around De Soto yesterday (Nebraska side), picked up dinner from a greasy spoon in Missouri Valley (pop. of 3,000 - no one was wearing masks whoops!), and then drove to the even more middle of nowhere, pulled over on a gravel road, and kicked back with dinner and games until we could see the Neowise comet.

Used the Light Pollution Map app to find an area that was truly dark, and a 40x60 monocular to see it even at 10pm

it was pretty fun! but the kids were up waaaay past bedtime and have been absolute poo poo shows all day today :v:

also holy poo poo are the DeSoto trails overrun with invasive species. pokeweed, horsetail and tree of heaven loving everywhere

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Sab669 posted:

a few years ago we camped out in Sage Creek, SD which has room to pull up your car, but is very primitive and required enough gravel road that the bikers didn't camp there when we accidentally went during Sturgis

but who did show up were lots of single middle aged men, and this is what they, invariably, did:

pull up in the evening, get out a folding chair and watch football on their iPads. Then at dusk, they put cardboard on their headlights, start their trucks, and sleep in their cabs all night.

none of them seemed particularly happy, but anyway, that's what they did for entertainment. football on ipads.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I'm going camping this week! Five whole nights on a very pretty island. I'm currently cooking and freezing all of my meals, since we'll be car camping and hiking around with day packs. I'll post pictures when I get back maybe.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Last night went out to Anza Borrego Desert State Park to see the comet. Also the first time my wife has seen the Milky Way in person so that was neat.

It was still 95F at 11pm.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

The Aardvark posted:

Last night went out to Anza Borrego Desert State Park to see the comet. Also the first time my wife has seen the Milky Way in person so that was neat.

It was still 95F at 11pm.

the comet is really cool! first time I've seen one since the 90s

was not expecting the little triangle it made

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Do any of you camp solo?

Almost exclusively. I fly fish.

all day.

then I drink really good whisky and hot cocoa and fall asleep.

it’s glorious.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Admittedly I've never actually tried it, but I never quite got the appeal of fishing 🤐 particularly the catch and release variety

And sitting around staring at an iPad while camping seems like an odd thing to do, but who am I to judge I suppose.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Admittedly I've never actually tried it, but I never quite got the appeal of fishing 🤐 particularly the catch and release variety

And sitting around staring at an iPad while camping seems like an odd thing to do, but who am I to judge I suppose.

Its a mental challenge and as sad as this sounds, you usually get outsmarted by an animal with a brain the size of a pea that would get caught by a french fry if conditions were right. After a bit you just get in this lovely grove where nothing else exists. Its just you, the water and the fish.

Catch and release lets you enjoy this whole vibe without having to kill the fish if you catch it. I'll usually catch and release with the occasional keeper that I'm in the mood to clean and cook.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What Elmnt said. It’s a puzzle to solve. Also, if you catch a fish on a fly that you tied it feels like this:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Sab669 posted:

*sotto voce-ishly* they are there for anonymous sex

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
There's blue and purple bear poo poo all over our trails and something crashed through the bushes this morning. A few people have been charged by'monster' black bears and I'm reconsidering composting fruit for a few months.

If we didn;t have murderous furry chainsaws in the woods I'd feel much safer camping and hiking solo backcountry. Back home it was just bootfulls of deadly poisonous animals but I wasn't worried by them at all.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello outdoorspeople! There was some chat about primitive DIY stuff recently that y'all might be interested in and we are trying to cross-pollinate with other forums a bit, so if you want to talk about living off the grid or homesteading or building fancy lean-to's or making your own mud kiln to fire your own pots out of slay you dug yourself or whatever here is a thread for that in DIY & Hobbies which may interest you!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944408

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ROFLburger posted:

monsoons when

Never this year )=

lol and order
Apr 4, 2006

Has anyone seen this video? It's of a hunter in Taiga, Siberia who encounters weird sounds at night and shoots at it.

You will need to listen with headphones to hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWdpDGJbXZk

Someone posted timestamps in English:
13:37 Nightfall
14:37 Metal knock (Either that kettle in the collapsed hut, or an ax)
15:27 Sounds like chopping trees with an ax, or something knocks hard on a tree
15:58 The first cry of a man (as if someone is being cut / gnawed)
16:42 The man's scream is heard more clearly
18:05 Again knocking on wood and metal
18:43 An inhuman howl, more like a monkey, is heard
18:53 Female half-tone / half-tone
19:22 Something in between a woman's crying and howling
20:43 Very similar to the sound when a woman hums something with her mouth closed (like a lullaby) + male crying
21:06 A clear "E", as if something noticed Sergei, at the same moment like an imitation of a frog croak. A loud male scream is heard during the shot
23:47 Something in between a man's howling and crying
25:35 Male howl intensifies and approaches Sergei
27:32 The same male howl
28:10 Something howling got close

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Lol at the comments just matter of fact stating those are bigfoot sounds. Obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Blair ведьма Project