Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag
"A bug-out bag or BOB is a portable kit that normally contains the items one would require to survive for 72 hours when evacuating from a disaster, although some kits are designed to last longer periods. Other names for such a bag are a 72-hour kit,[5] battle box, grab bag, go bag, GOOD bag (get out of Dodge), personal emergency relocation kit (PERK), or quick run bag (QRB).

The focus is on evacuation, rather than long-term survival, distinguishing the bug-out bag from a survival kit, an aviation or a boating emergency kit, or a fixed-site disaster supplies kit. The kits are also popular in the survivalism subculture"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EJQQPKHtJw

This thread is for posting your personal bugout bag as well as theorycraft different gear load outs for different types of apocalypse. This is my personal bugout bag:

It contains:
-High Quality nylon backpack
-Trekking Poles & Gloves
-10x10 camping tarp
-Ultra-lite compact sleeping bag
-SOS mylar groundsheet/tarp
-550 paracord, lots
-Sawyer Mini water filter
-Hunters GPS
-Food drybag
-Small roll of Gorilla Tape
-First aid kit, mostly anitbacterial and bug ointment
-small pot
-119 Buck Knife
-3 bandannas
-Spool of high test fishing line
-Fishing hooks
-Compass
-Bug Hat
-Ferro rod
-Electronics drybag with portable battery pack and 1TB SSD full of essential files.
-Toothbrush
-Extra Socks

What is in your bugout bag? Do you have a route planned to escape your city?

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I haven't put one together but it's definitely on my list of things to do. For anyone who's looking for a bag, Walmart bought Moosejaw a couple years ago and they just came out with this line of backpacking gear called Lithic that's supposed to be not garbage. I'm thinking I'm gonna pick up on of these as they are cheap and stealthy looking.

https://www.walmart.com/cp/lithic/9549605

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Biohazard posted:

I haven't put one together but it's definitely on my list of things to do. For anyone who's looking for a bag, Walmart bought Moosejaw a couple years ago and they just came out with this line of backpacking gear called Lithic that's supposed to be not garbage. I'm thinking I'm gonna pick up on of these as they are cheap and stealthy looking.

https://www.walmart.com/cp/lithic/9549605

oh wow those prices are absurd! be careful picking up one of those ultra-huge packs though. it is tempting to fill it to the brim, and you really need to keep a bugout bag under 25lbs. you dont realize how hard it is rucking a heavy pack all day until you end up having to do it

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

How good of a knife are we talking about budget wise? I used to have a decently sized Bowie knife, think Rambo II, and in the handle was a compass built in, fishing wire, some hooks in a small baggie, and a few sticks of matches that lit on most surfaces. Actually me being 12 at the time, 37 now, that was the first thing I ended up using. What would be a good enough compact wet stone to keep it sharp?

How feasible would it be to instead of keeping a physical pack itself packed to the brim, but having smaller caches put in disparate locations depending on the emergency? (hurricane, etc etc). Or is that veering towards a little too doomsday prep?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jiro posted:

How good of a knife are we talking about budget wise? I used to have a decently sized Bowie knife, think Rambo II, and in the handle was a compass built in, fishing wire, some hooks in a small baggie, and a few sticks of matches that lit on most surfaces. Actually me being 12 at the time, 37 now, that was the first thing I ended up using.

there is a lot to be said about knives! i like the buck110 because its simple, full tang, and hefty enough to baton firewood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD-Rjj0L0AA

when getting a knife the price isn't necessarily what you want to look at. there is a lot of "tactical" garbage with survival kits in the handle and poo poo that is pure trash. you just want just a nice solid piece of steel, avoid folding knives as they cant be used for batoning wood.

Jiro posted:

How feasible would it be to instead of keeping a physical pack itself packed to the brim, but having smaller caches put in disparate locations depending on the emergency? (hurricane, etc etc). Or is that veering towards a little too doomsday prep?

this feels like a bad idea. what if someone finds your cache and steals it? what if you have to escape along an unexpected route?

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 17, 2020

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Just the top one. I guess I'll grab a knife, a lighter and a jacket too.

Weka fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 17, 2020

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rutibex posted:

this feels like a bad idea. what if someone finds your cache and steals it? what if you have to escape along an unexpected route?

Like I was debating on just using storage places where you toss your junk just a couple of small ones.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jiro posted:

Like I was debating on just using storage places where you toss your junk just a couple of small ones.

like in different parts of your home? yeah that makes sense for like emergency food. but its good to have a single bag you can grab at a moments notice for when you get an alert on your phone that a nuke is 30min away or something

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
As far as a recommended knife for a bugout bag, or really for all outdoors uses, it's hard to go wrong with a Mora Companion.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

is this the de facto prepper thread, or is there a for-real prepper thread elsewhere on SA?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pmchem posted:

is this the de facto prepper thread, or is there a for-real prepper thread elsewhere on SA?

:shrug:
if one exists I don't know about it.

Beardless posted:

As far as a recommended knife for a bugout bag, or really for all outdoors uses, it's hard to go wrong with a Mora Companion.

i assume there is some reason this would be superior over a steak knife from the dollar store?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes, moras are shitloads more useful and durable

I have them all over the house and in my camp gear and poo poo, but this one is my recent favorite

Not the best for cutting up veggies or whatever, but can't be beat for utility knife work. Way better at opening boxes with that 90 corner edge than a regular knife.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

pmchem posted:

There's not one in TFR (although occasionally prepping related stuff comes up there in various threads) and I don't know where else one would be.

I don't have a bugout bag because I live in the middle of nowhere and any disaster that would cause me think about fleeing would probably be like, continent destroying, so I guess I'll just die.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

my kinda ape posted:

There's not one in TFR (although occasionally prepping related stuff comes up there in various threads) and I don't know where else one would be.

I don't have a bugout bag because I live in the middle of nowhere and any disaster that would cause me think about fleeing would probably be like, continent destroying, so I guess I'll just die.

I've thought about doing one in GIP and had mod approval to do so. Maybe I'll migrate it here instead.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rutibex posted:

cool; no offense, was just asking if some other thread had went down the rabbit hole of bunkers, etc. not that I plan on making one. I'm moving soon and need to stock emergency supplies.

There is also good info here: https://www.ready.gov/kit

and of course, amazon is full of retail emergency kits for any number of people and circumstances

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'll be honest, I kinda asked cyrano if TFR was leaking but apparently not!

The basics of prepping/bug out bags kinda lines up with alot of camping backpacking so it seems like we're as good a fit as any! Welcome!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Elmnt80 posted:

The basics of prepping/bug out bags kinda lines up with alot of camping backpacking so it seems like we're as good a fit as any! Welcome!

I mean if a pandemic is spurring the creation of a great outdoors subforum, you just wait for the missiles to start flying. People will be trying to find printouts of the prepper thread!

Fallout the video game --> Fallout the thread

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Rutibex posted:

i assume there is some reason this would be superior over a steak knife from the dollar store?

The handle's more comfortable for actually using it, the steel's better, and it comes with a sheath?

Beardless fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 18, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pmchem posted:

and of course, amazon is full of retail emergency kits for any number of people and circumstances

if you get a pramade kit its best to go through it and replace the jank pieces with something good. those things tend not to come with the best items in some areas where its kind of important. for example most will have only a flimsy big space blanket for a tarp, when a quality tarp is your most important shelter item (besides your clothes :v:). its also half the reason you want trekking poles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0x80S06yR0

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rutibex posted:

like in different parts of your home? yeah that makes sense for like emergency food. but its good to have a single bag you can grab at a moments notice for when you get an alert on your phone that a nuke is 30min away or something

Nah nah nah, storage spaces like the ones you rent out for moving and stuff. You can rent out ones that are as small as a closet.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

pmchem posted:

I mean if a pandemic is spurring the creation of a great outdoors subforum, you just wait for the missiles to start flying. People will be trying to find printouts of the prepper thread!

Fallout the video game --> Fallout the thread

Honestly as someone that lives in hurricane land, having good sources of that kind of knowledge readily accessable is invaluable. And like I said, there is a bunch of crossover with outdoors stuff.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jiro posted:

Nah nah nah, storage spaces like the ones you rent out for moving and stuff. You can rent out ones that are as small as a closet.

:eyepop:
thats actually a very solid idea

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

My bug-out bag has enough RadBlock, or potassium iodide pills, for two people. Because I live close enough to a nuclear power plant, the government sent them to me for free! They don’t expire for over a decade, so it’s such a small, easy thing to add to the bag that doesn’t need replacing often.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
thats actually a very solid idea

See that's what I thought as well!

I have it in my head to have some supplies just kinda spread around either the state or region Clothes, gear, etc etc, refreshed every once and a while during vacation road trips.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Metaline posted:

My bug-out bag has enough RadBlock, or potassium iodide pills, for two people. Because I live close enough to a nuclear power plant, the government sent them to me for free! They don’t expire for over a decade, so it’s such a small, easy thing to add to the bag that doesn’t need replacing often.

i donno how i would feel about the government sending me a bottle of RAD-X

Jiro posted:

See that's what I thought as well!

I have it in my head to have some supplies just kinda spread around either the state or region Clothes, gear, etc etc, refreshed every once and a while during vacation road trips.

i looked up the prices, and you can get those locker type storage for as little as $10 per month. it wouldn't even be very expensive to have a few of them. though this plan does feel a bit more "secret agent" than "survivalist"

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
How about 72 hour kits?

https://youtu.be/RGx_JSOHaO0

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lol at this video. it brings up a good point thats worth discussion. "bugging out" in a camper trailer seems like the ideal way to go, but its actually super dangerous. if you can drive into a "remote" location than so can everyone else. sure you might be able to find some out of the way logging road and set up there, but now you are extremely vulnerable and you look like an inviting target for raiders or authority types that are trying to prevent bugging out

if you want to go truly remote you need to get your supplies down to what will fit on your back. If you hike a day or two into the bush (without following any trails) than you are much safer from any human interference. if it takes you a day over rough terrain to hike to your bugout location it will take raiders the same effort, and they won't bother. they will stick to the roads.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rutibex posted:

i donno how i would feel about the government sending me a bottle of RAD-X

i looked up the prices, and you can get those locker type storage for as little as $10 per month. it wouldn't even be very expensive to have a few of them. though this plan does feel a bit more "secret agent" than "survivalist"

True, and it just kind of encourages the more paranoid parts of myself. Thanks for the knife advice. I wonder what would be the best kind of pants to stow away. Mix of some good true denim, and some workout pants?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Denim is okay only if you stay completely dry. if it rains, or snows, or you fall in a creek, you will get hypothermia if it's cold. pure cotton isn't that good.

I go pretty heavy on those microfiber outdoorsy pants from REI and such. Some are even the dad-mode zipoffs that turn into shorts.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Denim is okay only if you stay completely dry. if it rains, or snows, or you fall in a creek, you will get hypothermia if it's cold. pure cotton isn't that good.

I go pretty heavy on those microfiber outdoorsy pants from REI and such. Some are even the dad-mode zipoffs that turn into shorts.

Good point. I was thinking mainly due to denim can be a good tough material and not weigh as much as say, leather.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

I suppose a mask or 2 needs to be added to a buyout bag

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Elmnt80 posted:

I'd much rather have a bug out bag thread here in an outdoors forum. If you google anything about bug out bags or prepping it's going to be filled with chuds and half of the talk is about their guns/weapons/protecting against and fighting humans.

I just made a bug out bag a few months ago but I'm definitely not going to unpack that thing. It's a 70L USMC molle pack not completely full. I have a list somewhere of what I put in there. Probably not the best stuff but I just used what I had on hand and didn't buy anything extra I don't think.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'd much rather have a bug out bag thread here in an outdoors forum. If you google anything about bug out bags or prepping it's going to be filled with chuds and half of the talk is about their guns/weapons/protecting against and fighting humans.

Yeah I'm not into all that tactical "20 ammo caches in the hills" kind of thing. I don't think you should really have a gun on you in a bugout bag, and try not to look like a militia man. my bag is bright blue, it looks like a hikers backpack. Its as much a strategic consideration as anything. Realistically a gun isnt going to save you unless you go poking around for trouble. The best way to defend yourself is to avoid confrontation in the first place.

Also I'm in Canada so putting a pistol in there is a great way to get arrested. No weapons = "i'm just a long distance hiker officer"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm not against having a gun, it's just that the community focuses 50% on weapons and 50% on actual non-confrontational survival.

I just got sick of googling all of this stuff and a lot of it was about surviving against humans. I'd rather have realistic advice like how to survive if the power goes out nationwide or something. It was just wading through videos of that former stuff.

edit: maybe it was just the youtube videos or something but there was a lot. I honestly can't remember but it was enough for me to :rolleyes:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 18, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Actual content. This is copy/pasted from my One Note list of ideas for bug out bag stuff. The * are stuff I had on hand to throw in there.

Main
*Backpack
*Sleeping Bag
*Bivy/Shelter (note: untested and haven't set up before. I can't remember if it's a bivy or tent. I bought it years ago.)
*Tarp

Food
*Cooking Stove
*Cooking Fuel
*Cooking Container
Eating Utensil
Cookware
*Soap

Tools/Survival
*Knife
*First Aid Kit
*Saw
*Multitool
*Poncho
*Fire Starter
*Tinder
*Matches
*Lighter
*Emergency Blanket
*Paracord
*Compass
Radio
*Signaling System
*Gasmask/Filters
*Shemagh
Gorilla Tape
*Gloves
*Shovel
Bug Spray
Super Glue

Water
*Water Carrier/Canteen
*Lifestraw
*Water Tablets

Lighting
*Headlamp
*Flashlight
*Solar Light
*Batteries

Probably a bit much but I just listed everything I thought I'd need. If I ever go through it again I'll cut things down. This is to last much longer than 72 hours.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 18, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What kind of shovel? Those things can be quite heavy depending on what kind you have. I had a small spade in my pack, but I ditched it for weight because it is very easy to improvise a digging tool with a stick or something.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hmm... I can't remember. I think it's a small Gerber folding shovel. Pretty heavy I think

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Also, this is the pack I have. The USMC ILBE rucksack. I was hypomanic for a period of time maybe 5 years ago and bought all sorts of things for this.

I think it's a bit overkill. Like... by a lot. To the point of being not practical at all.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hmm... I can't remember. I think it's a small Gerber folding shovel. Pretty heavy I think

Ah yeah those tiny folding shovels are terrible. If you are going to carry something that heavy a hatchet is infinity more useful imho

Also, this is the pack I have. The USMC ILBE rucksack. I was hypomanic for a period of time maybe 5 years ago and bought all sorts of things for this.

I think it's a bit overkill. Like... by a lot. To the point of being not practical at all.

Having extra space is good, you never know when you will need to pick up a bunch of food supplies or something. lol at the digital camo though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I got it used by the USMC for cheap. Can't remember the cost though, maybe $50, but an equivalent Osprey or something would be like $300. My survival isn't worth that much.

It'd be bad if I set my pack down to piss and lost it in the woods immediately.