Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

normal teenagers who aren't weirdos with no friends post tons of pictures of themselves on social media though

And when it's time for them to run for office, the presidential race won't be about who has less dementia, but who has fewer nudes online.

The kid on the cover of Nevermind is an early case study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

The_Franz posted:

normal teenagers who aren't weirdos with no friends post tons of pictures of themselves on social media though

I read that post as more along the lines of “maybe you should think twice about posting thousands of pics of your kid online before they’re old enough to meaningfully consent” which seemed like a fair point but maybe I’m giving HN too much credit here?

Chunks Hammerdong
Nov 1, 2009

dads friend steve posted:

I read that post as more along the lines of “maybe you should think twice about posting thousands of pics of your kid online before they’re old enough to meaningfully consent” which seemed like a fair point but maybe I’m giving HN too much credit here?

I think this is the right sentiment, while at the same time almost certainly giving too much credit to an HN poster.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

blisseyGo 1 hour ago [–]

thugs? They have "POLICE" on their chest.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Oneiros posted:

blisseyGo 1 hour ago [–]

:hmmyes:

how downvoted did this get?

e: oh poo poo wait did I read that wrong?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Oneiros posted:

blisseyGo 1 hour ago [–]

AGC

(A good comment)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

AGC

(A good comment)

unintentionally. the author is all over the rest of the thread defending the feds and complaining that portland has defended into lawlessness, the mayor and pbb helpless in the face of the terrifying terrorist organization known as antifa.

---

blisseyGo 2 hours ago [–]

Those are federal property and feds have full rights to do this. Also a lot of people who are being arrested are from another state. That's been the case for at least 45 days now. There's a point where the feds have to step in since the local people in that area are being terrorized. I have friends in that area and they are all planing to move out of the city because the Mayor, DA and Governor have been useless for a long time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oneiros posted:

unintentionally.
That's what people mean when they say "A Good Post" / "A Good Comment" / whatever.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

abtinf 7 hours ago [–]

> All our current attempts at creating rigorous moral frameworks lead to intuitively immoral behaviour under some circumstances.
Objectivism does not.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

fritz posted:

abtinf 7 hours ago [–]

> All our current attempts at creating rigorous moral frameworks lead to intuitively immoral behaviour under some circumstances.
Objectivism does not.

I mean, insofar as it does so in all circumstances not just some?

:shrug:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

lazyjones 1 day ago [–]

The bullying/mobbing aspect of Cancel Culture should explicitly be made illegal. I don't understand how people don't recognize it as what it is: idealogical "cleansing" in the same way the Nazis, Mao, Stalinists did it. Simple employer protection as suggested doesn't go far enough, the intent to harm one's career on ideological grounds must be punished.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Nazi's are "bad" but if you support everything they stood for it's just an idealogy and you shouldn't lose your job over it... ?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

fritz posted:

lazyjones 1 day ago [–]

The bullying/mobbing aspect of Cancel Culture should explicitly be made illegal. I don't understand how people don't recognize it as what it is: idealogical "cleansing" in the same way the Nazis, Mao, Stalinists did it. Simple employer protection as suggested doesn't go far enough, the intent to harm one's career on ideological grounds must be punished.

lol he didn't even qualify it my saying "it's kinda like" or something. just straight up saying that the libs are doing what Nazis et all did. does this guy think that stalin just called people out on twitter and called it a day?

e: in Soviet Russia, culture cancels you!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

otherprob 22 minutes ago [–]

The bigger problem is that technology advancements gravitate at the demands of the noisiest, with the most social gravity.
Yes there are a lot of smart people at FAANG and Cloudflare corp.
There are a lot of just as capable folks not driven by job addicted meme.
Technically there’s no reason the web couldn’t be replaced with 1:many via Wireshark key sharing based access control to local content.
But via Wall Street, along these very particular rules, is how we are told to trade information. How is that not a planned economy?
Not just by doing what we’re clearly interested in doing naturally.
Make no mistake: big corp isn’t making us login at gunpoint. “They” didn’t do this. “We” did this.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

Technically there’s no reason the web couldn’t be replaced with 1:many via Wireshark key sharing based access control to local content.
What?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
be your own host

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

tailscale, but somehow also a CDN but also decentralized

feels vintage, like ‘rewrite google search in c’

mystes
May 31, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

tailscale, but somehow also a CDN but also decentralized

feels vintage, like ‘rewrite google search in c’
Oh, ok. Assuming they meant "wireguard" when they said "wireshark" at least makes it just sound stupid rather than timecubeesque gibberish and there are actually other distributed encrypted vpnlike systems like cjdns that are aimed approximately in this direction.

"Wireshark key sharing" sounded like they were sharing session keys for SSL traffic for some bizarre reason.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 20, 2020

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

mystes posted:

Oh, ok. Assuming they meant "wireguard" when they said "wireshark" at least makes it just sound stupid rather than timecubeesque gibberish and there are actually other distributed encrypted vpnlike systems like cjdns that are aimed approximately in this direction.

"Wireshark key sharing" sounded like they were sharing session keys for SSL traffic for some bizarre reason.

Oh. Don't you share your SSLKEYFILE with your buddies for shits and giggles?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
fdschoeneman 2 hours ago [–]

According to the Ars piece, the outsourced fact checkers claimed an opinion piece was false because all of the facts in it were cherry picked:

"The researchers found that the post by the CO2 Coalition was based on cherry-picked information to mislead readers into thinking climate science models are wrong about global warming."

This is not a logical argument. Facts are correct or incorrect, whether they're cherrypicked or not.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

foobar_ 3 hours ago [–]

I'm not insane ... you are just the type of person who will defend roman numerals. Maybe you just have OCD.
1. Socrates is mortal
2. Mortals die
3. Socrates dies
Deduction is really like amazing. Holy poo poo we really proved something spectacular here. I guess you would be really impressed if I used tau and sigma and defined death with vietnamese alphabet.
Almost the entirety of calculus was derived from problems related to physics. Volumes were calculated for doing engineering. Mathematics != Thinking. The last time I checked both logic and critical thinking were branches of philosophy.
All good mathematicians are physicists or engineers. Heck some even learnt maths on their own. All mediocre mathematicians write textbooks and hide behind notations. Come to think of it they remind me of OO programmers in their utter arrogant mediocrity. Most abstract mathematics is like the definition of protocols/interfaces and other platonic garbage. I suppose this debate will never end. Plato vs Aristotle, Deduction vs Induction, Analytic vs Synthetic ....

animist
Aug 28, 2018

fritz posted:

foobar_ 3 hours ago [–]

I'm not insane ... you are just the type of person who will defend roman numerals. Maybe you just have OCD.
1. Socrates is mortal
2. Mortals die
3. Socrates dies
Deduction is really like amazing. Holy poo poo we really proved something spectacular here. I guess you would be really impressed if I used tau and sigma and defined death with vietnamese alphabet.
Almost the entirety of calculus was derived from problems related to physics. Volumes were calculated for doing engineering. Mathematics != Thinking. The last time I checked both logic and critical thinking were branches of philosophy.
All good mathematicians are physicists or engineers. Heck some even learnt maths on their own. All mediocre mathematicians write textbooks and hide behind notations. Come to think of it they remind me of OO programmers in their utter arrogant mediocrity. Most abstract mathematics is like the definition of protocols/interfaces and other platonic garbage. I suppose this debate will never end. Plato vs Aristotle, Deduction vs Induction, Analytic vs Synthetic ....

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

e: originally asked for context of the above, but managed to find it, and the whole thread clarifies the idiotic point pretty well (https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=23913295):

foobar_ 1 day ago [–]

No one uses mathematical notation for practical purposes. This is just like the medival music notation which is neither practical nor what modern composers use, which is more visual in nature. Infact modernism is a rejection of medievalism.
I think in the future programming will force all mathematicians to code or give out simulations. Most mathematical notation was intended to be throwaway by the original authors, thats why there are so many notations. Trying to find relevance in them is a pointless exercise. Much like 80x20, tabs vs spaces ... most of the original intent is lost and what survives is guff meant for ceremonious purposes.

foobar_ 1 day ago [–]

What I am trying to convey is writing software is better than writing maths, just like medieval music notation vs modern notation. Programming is better than proving because most proofs are mere tautologies or artificial constraints. This is why theorem provers in code rely on term rewriting.
A triangle has a sum of 180 ? Well how about if you push the triangle inside out. In code you can easily run a more complex simulation which gives you all possible values of the sum ... which is why ascertaining useful facts like 180 ad-nausea is boring at best. In fact most mathematics if it can't be simulated can't exist.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 23, 2020

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

incredible that anyone bothered doing maths before the computer, really

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am still very much dwelling on the koan of the angle sum of an inside-out triangle.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
new troll interview question: please write an algorithm to invert a triangle

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
this tbh

meanwhile this whole thread is loving :stonk::captainpop::chanpop::yikes::mrwhite::prepop:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=23918763

quote:

This seems like something specific to the individual. Maybe this isn't the job for you, but there's probably enough people "made of different stuff" that could handle it? I feel like there's a subtext in this discussion that "nobody can handle it" or "you have to be a monster to work this job" but that's just not true.

Just out of college in the mid-90s, I worked for a few months at a small local software company in the last throws of death. As a last grasp at survival, all the programmers switched to doing cold call sales. With phones.

I would stare at mutilated children all day long rather than go back to cold calling. I was miserable and I hated every moment of every day until the company (happily, for me) closed up. Yet I know people who somehow think it's perfectly normal to dial random numbers and try to pitch them something. They're made of different stuff.

quote:

Perhaps it's a solution to use brainwave headsets. So whenever the viewer would get too much negative stimulation, the video would stop and the viewer could take a break.

ok going back to reading zerzan now

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

quote:

I was is a dark place after 9/11, both from the trauma of that, and some personal issues. So I spent considerable time on Rotten, Something Awful, and worse. Based on that experience, many would likely do content moderation for free.

was sa really ever as bad with shock pictures as something like rotten.com?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zlodo posted:

the place with a forum named “gently caress you and goatse”

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Rotten had a fascinating encyclopedia of weird conspiracy poo poo.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yes, when those wealthy stockbrokers and extorters of poor nations died, and those twin monuments to extractive imperialism crumbled, a precious piece of me died with them. i think all of us were in a dark place on that fateful Tuesday.

haha jk. seriously though my heartfelt condolences go out to the families of the hard-working cleaners, delivery people, and personal assistants who were caught in the collapse. i hope they managed to find some measure of comfort and stability after the loss of their loved ones.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Zlodo posted:

swap.avi

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

one thing that stood out is the dude insisting on a strict definition of 'snuff film'

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
sure this is dumb take... but I wonder how this poster feels about murder

rabite 38 minutes ago | parent [–] | on: LSD Chemist William Pickard to Be Released from Pr...

Yeah but the giant protests occupying cities for weeks are not about psychedelics sentences at all. They are generally in support of the state of things, funded by hostile billionaires in hopes that small businesses will be destroyed and that any potential competition in the middle class will disappear with them. People aren't asking for lower LSD sentences, they are demanding an end to "racism" and some kind of penance because a career violent criminal with heart disease passing counterfeit currency overdosed on fentanyl while being arrested.

rabite 5 months ago | parent [–] | on: The ReiserFS Filesystem (2000)

Reiser is up for parole this year. The hearing is in March. I myself don't have a lot of public respectability, but if you are a CS PhD or occupy a notable position at a tech company you might be able to mail the parole board. Murdering your wife is detestable but I don't think he will ever find another woman to marry him and I don't think he would commit murder under any other circumstances. I don't think he is a continuing danger to society and the world would benefit if Reiser were allowed to continue his work.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

his work? why would murderfs be a “good” thing in 2020?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

salisbury shake posted:

sure this is dumb take... but I wonder how this poster feels about murder

rabite 38 minutes ago | parent [–] | on: LSD Chemist William Pickard to Be Released from Pr...

Yeah but the giant protests occupying cities for weeks are not about psychedelics sentences at all. They are generally in support of the state of things, funded by hostile billionaires in hopes that small businesses will be destroyed and that any potential competition in the middle class will disappear with them. People aren't asking for lower LSD sentences, they are demanding an end to "racism" and some kind of penance because a career violent criminal with heart disease passing counterfeit currency overdosed on fentanyl while being arrested.

rabite 5 months ago | parent [–] | on: The ReiserFS Filesystem (2000)

Reiser is up for parole this year. The hearing is in March. I myself don't have a lot of public respectability, but if you are a CS PhD or occupy a notable position at a tech company you might be able to mail the parole board. Murdering your wife is detestable but I don't think he will ever find another woman to marry him and I don't think he would commit murder under any other circumstances. I don't think he is a continuing danger to society and the world would benefit if Reiser were allowed to continue his work.

Achievement Unlocked: Long way around saying the N word

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

Achievement Unlocked: Long way around saying the N word

combo with the (((hostile billionaires)))

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
isn’t rabite weev

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

salisbury shake posted:

I myself don't have a lot of public respectability, but

lmao u don’t say???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Neon Noodle posted:

isn’t rabite weev

looking through his comment history, yes.