Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
This 5gb bug fix patch has really put a damper on my morning as someone with very slow internet. I didn't even get to play until the 15th because the preload took so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's a triple A game about hiking who's narrative heights' peak with each and every character saying "Maybe I am my name sake, after all. Goodbye." The popular media response is mostly fair and we fans are the crazy people.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The devil is in the details.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
The ultra-repetitive dialog annoyed me alot (especially how the game has to pause for a bunch of it, shutup Deadman I'm riding a zipline) and the cutscenes were mostly interminable. Also I wish there was more use for some of the cooler late-game weapons.

Still, when the plot got out of the way, the gameplay ruled, and there are a couple of pure gold cutscenes such as Deadman in the shower

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Quick question, If I'm trying to farm stars on someone, do I have to take deliveries from them, or take deliveries from other preppers/cities to the person whose rep I want to increase?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hipster Occultist posted:

Quick question, If I'm trying to farm stars on someone, do I have to take deliveries from them, or take deliveries from other preppers/cities to the person whose rep I want to increase?

Bring stuff to the place you need more stars at.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Hipster Occultist posted:

The delivery description usually shows a photo and the name of the intended recipient whose rep will be influenced.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I know this will vary depending on play style but how much gear should I be carrying. I initially started with what the game gave you, 3 ladders, two climbing anchors 2-3 pccs, etc. but when I got weapons and started adding them on I realized my basic load out was leaving me little room for cargo. What a good initial baseline for gear to carry?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you're not trail blazing you might just carry one box of laders, maybe a rope, just to bail yourself out of weird trouble. Once I was on network I was barely plopping anything without being like now is the time to build more zip lines or now is the time to build a ladder trail to the top of something important.

PCC mostly if you're are planning on getting into a pitched battle for the mailbox.

If you're trail blazing or going off network that's when you start wanting a couple ladders and ropes and PCCs and raw materials for PCC stuff to build infrastructure ad hoc.

If you find yourself craving a ladder or rope and you're all out you can also usually find some Mules or Terrorists if you aren't already near an on network source of ladders. They aren't really rare enough to carry out of base once you get going.

e. for idiot

zedprime fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 17, 2020

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Zikan posted:

I know this will vary depending on play style but how much gear should I be carrying. I initially started with what the game gave you, 3 ladders, two climbing anchors 2-3 pccs, etc. but when I got weapons and started adding them on I realized my basic load out was leaving me little room for cargo. What a good initial baseline for gear to carry?

Check the map and look at where you're going through. If you're planning a trek through mountains, then you'll want to bring ladders and ropes. If you're going through MULE country, then you'll want weapons and/or decoys. It's worth keeping some sort of blood weapon for BTs in case you need to get through an area, but if captured you can always run or you'll get stuff given to you for use against the catcher.

Also on the map you can move to the right and it will tell you what the hazards are for that delivery, so that can help you change a loadout .

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Codependent Poster posted:

Check the map and look at where you're going through. If you're planning a trek through mountains, then you'll want to bring ladders and ropes. If you're going through MULE country, then you'll want weapons and/or decoys. It's worth keeping some sort of blood weapon for BTs in case you need to get through an area, but if captured you can always run or you'll get stuff given to you for use against the catcher.

Also on the map you can move to the right and it will tell you what the hazards are for that delivery, so that can help you change a loadout .

Also also don't forget that on the map you can (correct me anybody) hold down the touchpad and use the gyro in the controller to angle the map to get a better sense of the topography instead of just the bird's eye view. You can spot the peaks and passes through hills and mountains that way or spot rifts and canyons.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

Change the stick dead zone in the options, you don't need a new controller!

I've toyed with that before but at this point, the deadzone would basically be the entire zone I'd want for anything less than "full blast." I also really miss the control sticks not being polished smooth, I can still remember it having grip nubbins.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Khanstant posted:

I've toyed with that before but at this point, the deadzone would basically be the entire zone I'd want for anything less than "full blast." I also really miss the control sticks not being polished smooth, I can still remember it having grip nubbins.

I pretty much did put it up to full blast and it worked. For some reason this game is really sensitive to stick drift. Still had an annoying problem placing ladders and climbing anchors, though.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Lobok posted:

Also also don't forget that on the map you can (correct me anybody) hold down the touchpad and use the gyro in the controller to angle the map to get a better sense of the topography instead of just the bird's eye view. You can spot the peaks and passes through hills and mountains that way or spot rifts and canyons.

WHAT?

Dang it.

I played this game to completion back in December and the terrain and locations are still very vivid in my mind's eye in a way that almost no other game has been. Since then I've played HZD, Yakuza 0, Dad of Boy, Days Gone, Etc and none of them are holding the headspace that this one has done, geographically.
I have no idea why that has happened.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

God drat what is this game doing to me. Whenever I had a plan on a thing to do I got just got led down a path of endless distractions and never ended up doing the thing I had planned. Along the string of these distractions, I found the musician today and got a sweet harmonica out of it, very nice!

Some questions though:

Is there a way (maybe later) to get rid of BTs permanently? Right now it's really annoying to go back and forth between some of the outposts for deliveries and having to sneak through the same areas every time. I did defeat a squid at one point but the area got the BTs back pretty soon after, so that doesn't seem to help very much.

Can I get Sam to lie down in the water on purpose without having to exhaust the stamina and hope he stumbles and falls into the water? Sometimes letting the stream carry me is way faster, so I'd like to do it intentionally.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I got the hovering sled thingie from the weather station, am I being a dummy for not using it? It sucks up chiral crystals like a vacuum cleaner, and I'm struggling to justify making one trip with it when I could just make 1.5-2 trips with the bike.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The thing seemed way too likely to cause hilarious yardsales so I never used it until postgame where it caused a hilarious yardsale and I haven't touched it since.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shinmera posted:

God drat what is this game doing to me. Whenever I had a plan on a thing to do I got just got led down a path of endless distractions and never ended up doing the thing I had planned. Along the string of these distractions, I found the musician today and got a sweet harmonica out of it, very nice!

Some questions though:

Is there a way (maybe later) to get rid of BTs permanently? Right now it's really annoying to go back and forth between some of the outposts for deliveries and having to sneak through the same areas every time. I did defeat a squid at one point but the area got the BTs back pretty soon after, so that doesn't seem to help very much.

If you want a reliable way to avoid BTs, you'll need to build roads and eventually a zipline network. Also eventually you'll be able to check weather and see where timefall is, and you can plan trips around those areas or see if it clears up. Though some story missions you're gonna have to go through BT areas no matter what.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
You're supposed to use it as a hover-skateboard

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

zedprime posted:

If you're trail blazing or going off network that's when you start wanting a couple ladders and ropes and PCCs and raw materials for PCC stuff to build infrastructure ad hoc

if you are off network you absolutely do not need building materials for infrastructure since you can't build outside of the chiral network

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

After hooking up the mountain knot, is that a decent time to take a break and go build road and stuff? I feel like I've unlocked a ton of poo poo now

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

CJacobs posted:

Giant Bomb's coverage of Death Stranding was abysmal and I was really disappointed in them given how they usually acknowledge and swerve around personal bias in reviews, especially Dan acting like a literal pouting child

"Death Stranding" is an automatic timeout in Dan's twitch stream chat lol

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, I'm partway through chapter 3 and they just went "Whoops, Fragile's fast travel thing isn't working. Go move cargo from the northeast to the souhwest, also Fragile's by the distribution center if you want to talk to her." I see her icon on the distro center's console, but no mission for Sam- is there actually an interaction somewhere, or should I just go to port knot and start the next story mission?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I had a brain fart when the game was trying to tell me about entrusting cargo. Why would I ever want to do that? What purpose does it serve? Why wouldn't I just deliver it myself through the postman terminal I'm connected to? I'm talking about the first one you see in the game on your first link mission. What is entrusting and why is it a thing?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Entrusting cargo is when you're at a terminal, have lost cargo for a different location, and just want to get rid of it instead of making a trip to deliver it where it's supposed to go. It then gets put into a shared locker, and other players have the ability to take it the rest of the way if they want.

You get a lesser amount of likes for doing it, and some more when/if the cargo actually gets delivered to it's final location.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Oh ok. I guess my terminology was backwards.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, I'm partway through chapter 3 and they just went "Whoops, Fragile's fast travel thing isn't working. Go move cargo from the northeast to the souhwest, also Fragile's by the distribution center if you want to talk to her." I see her icon on the distro center's console, but no mission for Sam- is there actually an interaction somewhere, or should I just go to port knot and start the next story mission?

Are you on order 38? What's your cargo? If they mentioned visiting Fragile stop by the private room in the distro center south of Lake Knot City

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Are you on order 38? What's your cargo? If they mentioned visiting Fragile stop by the private room in the distro center south of Lake Knot City

Yup, I'm on order 38. I haven't started it yet, so maybe that's the issue- I thought if there was optional story content related to the fast travel thingie I might skip it by accident. Since my private room in the southern distro center is (as far as I can tell) normal, I'm betting I'm supposed to start the delivery first, then make a stop in the distro center on my way back down?

Edit: Oh yeah, derp- current cargo is a bunch of random poo poo- food and medicine for the guys in the south.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 18, 2020

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Omi no Kami posted:

Yup, I'm on order 38. I haven't started it yet, so maybe that's the issue- I thought if there was optional story content related to the fast travel thingie I might skip it by accident. Since my private room in the southern distro center is (as far as I can tell) normal, I'm betting I'm supposed to start the delivery first, then make a stop in the distro center on my way back down?

You're supposed to pick up the order and take it to South Knot City, you pass through the Distro center anyway and it'd be nice to pop into your room and say hi to Fragile. She's cool when she's not trying to force feed you cryptobiotes. I think the lack of fast travel isn't really relevant and the ability to fast travel comes back after that mission I think

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I dunno what Sam has against cryptobiotes, they're incredibly- you just bleed into a water balloon, munch on one, and you're back in business!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I refuse to eat cryptobiotes, they evolve in the timefall so every one you chow down on is one less that can be studied for timefall resistance. This is definitely my real justification and not something I just decided upon because I actually won't eat them because they're cute little guys

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
tardigrades are too pure to be a disposable food item in a world already this cruel

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I started playing a bit late on the PC release and I'm having a... Weird problem? I'm not out of the first zone yet so maybe it gets better later but... People have already built everything everywhere that's relevant. I was looking forward to the whole cooperative building stuff but it uh... Feels like it's done before I could get to do anything with it. Although even my totally superfluous bridge has been getting likes so I dunno maybe its fine?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I started playing a bit late on the PC release and I'm having a... Weird problem? I'm not out of the first zone yet so maybe it gets better later but... People have already built everything everywhere that's relevant. I was looking forward to the whole cooperative building stuff but it uh... Feels like it's done before I could get to do anything with it. Although even my totally superfluous bridge has been getting likes so I dunno maybe its fine?

Count yourself lucky and get to the central region. That's the meat of the game and I guarantee you won't have every structure you want already built, though there will be a lot of useful ones.

Also some lovely ones. A lot of bridges to nowhere. I had one bridge between the main road and the Waystation near Mountain Knot that was a trap, it looked convenient but it always got my truck stuck or tipped me over the side because of the angle it was at between the road and a pass in the mountain. I ended up making signs you remind me to go around it. In hindsight I should've just deleted it but I forgot I could do that.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Just stared this game and I've never had so much fun delivering packages! I just killed a bunch of BTs feeling real proud of myself then drove my bike right into one I didn't see. I managed to escape the whale thing while throwing grenades at it and collected up all my broken poo poo. The dude at my destination was not impressed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Also some lovely ones. A lot of bridges to nowhere.

Aggressively dismantle useless structures, they clutter up things and may prevent useful stuff from appearing in your world. A number of stupid bridges are placed to collect likes as other players are dragged across them when caught by BTs.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
First day on the job and already I'm a member of the elite.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I refuse to eat cryptobiotes, they evolve in the timefall so every one you chow down on is one less that can be studied for timefall resistance. This is definitely my real justification and not something I just decided upon because I actually won't eat them because they're cute little guys

I wince a little every time at the animation in private rooms where Sam bites one in half and watches the wiggling remains in his hand before he finishes it. Just pop it in your mouth all at once you psycho.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pirate Jet posted:

I wince a little every time at the animation in private rooms where Sam bites one in half and watches the wiggling remains in his hand before he finishes it. Just pop it in your mouth all at once you psycho.

The (private room spoiler) drunk Sam animation where he fumbles the jar and all the cryptobiotes flee before he can catch em makes me happy. Be free little guys :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Today I tried to bypass the BT area before port knot by scaling a really steep cliff. I discovered two things: 1. Sam is incredibly good at climbing, and 2. the game unfortunately places invisible walls around the mountain that prevent you from climbing it. That was a bummer