Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
From white water to lakes, lazy rivers, and ocean navigation, this thread is for those small water craft that you use to get around. Pictures, discussion, help buying, ideas, anything you think fits is fair game.

Instead of a long OP, I'll just drop some handy getting starting links here:

How to Choose a Kayak
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/kayak.html

Getting Started Basics
https://paddling.com/learn/category/getting-started/basics/
Lifting a canoe, picking a life jacket, lots of good getting started stuff here

Kayak Terminology
https://www.nrs.com/learn/kayak-terminology-beginners-guide

Army Corps of Engeineers Waterway Maps
https://www.usace.army.mil/locations.aspx
These can be fantastic for finding cool waterways and keeping you clear of wing dams and out of danger

Country Specific Pages
https://www.americancanoe.org/default.aspx
https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/
https://www.paddlecanada.com/

Ask questions, share pictures, tell us about your great waterways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I use two Kayaks:

This one is a smaller Emotion brand I picked up from REI for around 300. I use it in creeks around here, since a lot of times I'm having to drag over low water and it takes a beating. Simple and cheap. It tracks pretty well and the chair isn't bad.

2nd one is a12 foot Hobie Mirage Outback:

This one is fantastic for big water and has been down the entire length of the Mississippi river no issues. It's one of the older Hobie so the seat is the old bad kind. They've updated it since on their new ones. It's also heavy as hell. The fin system on Hobie Kayaks is worth the price and the ability to keep both hands free while moving forward is fantastic.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh sure, just ignore the boat thread i made <:mad:>
Anyway-

Packraft supremacy. No need to learn how to actually navigate rapids and other swift water hazards, just get an overpriced pool toy and bumper boat through it all.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Epitope posted:

Oh sure, just ignore the boat thread i made <:mad:>
Anyway-

Packraft supremacy. No need to learn how to actually navigate rapids and other swift water hazards, just get an overpriced pool toy and bumper boat through it all.

(I didn't see your thread...I suck)

I much prefer the calm creek float to waste away a weekend:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Na just joshin ya. I hope more people post about boating. Boating boating boating.

I haven't taken a lazy river ride like that since moving away from Indiana. Lots of good ones in IN, and warm water so no stress if you tip over.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
These Oru folding kayaks are pretty nifty, though expensive. https://www.orukayak.com/products/beach-lt

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Finally, the return of the kayak thread. Mods are asleep, post small boats

I've got a Perception Tribe SOT and a Perception Rhythm sit inside that have served me well for the last few years but I've been mulling over buying a pedal drive. Mostly because I am extraordinarily lazy but also I've got some shoulder and back problems that make paddling a chore sometimes. I'm assuming that Hobie is still the gold standard for pedal drives but I'm wondering if any of the other manufacturers are starting to catch up. I know Perception started making a pedal drive a few years back but it seemed to be pretty widely panned. Has anyone managed to close the gap with Hobie or are they still just absolutely killing the competition?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a Zephyr 155 sea kayak that Ive taken on a number of multi day camping trips in/around Algonquin and French River.

Always a blast, but especially back when I was a big idiot baby and didnt know what I was doing on the water. There was nothing quite like the exhilaration of paddling out into heavy chop after a day of goofing off and almost going over because I was too tired to fight the waves. Ahh good times!

I havent had the chance to take her out in the past year, by which I mean I havent made the time because I got into other stupid weekend hobbies, but just a few weeks ago I pulled her out of the shed and did a little cleaning and tidying of the deck lines and washed a winters worth of critters out of the cockpit so I definitely want to go visit a lake sometime soon.

Have some cool water photos on the phone from my last trip, Ill have to see if I can remember to pull them down when I get a chance.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
hello kayak thread

i use an ultimate 12 by native watercraft

https://nativewatercraft.com/product/ultimate-12/

i've had it for ~11 years and i love it. stable and comfortable, tracks incredibly well and light enough for me to carry easily with my gear as well if necessary. picture is from last saturday on a local pond but i'm usually out on a tidal river.

this was from 2 weeks ago at the last navigable start of the river 11 miles from the mouth, further up it becomes all salt marsh

i started as a kid using an old great canadian canoe and continued using that with friends into my 20s but after everyone got married or died or moved away i bought a 17ft wooden kayak, used it for a few years and realized i wanted something a little more durable and bought my 12' native. during spring summer and fall i try to get out 3-4 times a week but probably average 2.5 over the course of those 9 months

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
2 weeks ago in the "swamp" section at the end of the river. 1 mile from the put in you can take a left and paddle 10 more miles to the mouth or you can take a right and paddle a few miles into the swamp
https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/UyZq5z2_ruet7v7xRnLTJsf0Xy6CfM10QsiIGmjrRdY/https/i.imgur.com/LjdVGoj.mp4

one of the bridges you paddle under on the river
https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/CymowVJgNRtN5YVUP1qwt1WPRXYwWlzMkRAvQJepTAQ/https/i.imgur.com/Q2L8D4N.mp4

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

So I've been meaning to buy a kayak for years because whenever I rent one I have a blast, any suggestions? I live in Charleston SC so it will primarily used in marshland and intra-coastal water but I wouldn't mind being able to go into the harbor (at least on the edges) or even ocean water. I'm thinking a sit on top would probably work best for me.

The option to fish off of it would be nice as well.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

lamentable dustman posted:

So I've been meaning to buy a kayak for years because whenever I rent one I have a blast, any suggestions? I live in Charleston SC so it will primarily used in marshland and intra-coastal water but I wouldn't mind being able to go into the harbor (at least on the edges) or even ocean water. I'm thinking a sit on top would probably work best for me.

The option to fish off of it would be nice as well.

i am so completely in love with the ultimate 12 and honestly believe it's one of the best investments I've ever made. tunnel hull, comfortable seat and very durable
but i've used it exclusively for over 10 years now so i'm sure there are others here who may know more about variety.

https://nativewatercraft.com/product/ultimate-12/

new one costs $749 and they're made near you in north carolina

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Speaking of buying a kayak....how do you do it right now?

Like, everywhere is sold out, sun dolphin went out of business I thought, and from what little I've read the plastics come from overseas so even the US manufacturers arent making much right now.

I've been wanting to buy one, but literally can't find any in stock that arent 1. over $1k, 2. Lifetime walmart specials, or 3. Those fold-able or inflatable ones.

it suckssss

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Like, everywhere is sold out, sun dolphin went out of business I thought, and from what little I've read the plastics come from overseas so even the US manufacturers arent making much right now.

I've been wanting to buy one, but literally can't find any in stock that arent 1. over $1k, 2. Lifetime walmart specials, or 3. Those fold-able or inflatable ones.

it suckssss

depends where you are but around me there are still shops selling used ones and rental places that routinely sell their older models at a discounted price. and buy for what you need like don't invest in a 17ft ocean kayak if you're going to be paddling on ponds and slow rivers and vice versa

also craigslist can be good

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

hey anyone want a free wilderness?

i found this while hiking around a local cove yesterday, its still tethered to the old floating dock

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 17, 2020

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
Hey can I post in this thread about how loving excited me and my partner are to go do some kite surfing next week? I guess a board is kind of a little craft?

If not just tell me and I'll go away.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Epitope posted:

I haven't taken a lazy river ride like that since moving away from Indiana. Lots of good ones in IN, and warm water so no stress if you tip over.

Floating the water through turkey run state park is fantastic. Great views, perfect water, good swimming.

occluded posted:

Hey can I post in this thread about how loving excited me and my partner are to go do some kite surfing next week? I guess a board is kind of a little craft?

If not just tell me and I'll go away.

:justpost:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

it suckssss

I ran into the same problem and ended up finding the 1 local shop with a couple options in stock. Ended up with a current designs solara 120, a bit more than I had hoped to pay, but it's worth it to have something. I could have saved a bit of money by going with a old town heron 11xt, but since the plan is to normally use it on Puget sound, I liked the extra piece of mind having 2 sealed bulkheads.

Pretty happy with it so far, been paddling around Whidbey island a bit this week when I have some free time. Seems to track well enough, though I don't have much frame of reference. Looking forward to getting more paddling time in this summer, the toddler makes it tough. I did pick up a pfd for her, so hopefully she likes going out with me.

It's nice to get out on the water, views like this is why I put up with living in Seattle

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

ur in my world now posted:

Finally, the return of the kayak thread. Mods are asleep, post small boats

I've got a Perception Tribe SOT and a Perception Rhythm sit inside that have served me well for the last few years but I've been mulling over buying a pedal drive. Mostly because I am extraordinarily lazy but also I've got some shoulder and back problems that make paddling a chore sometimes. I'm assuming that Hobie is still the gold standard for pedal drives but I'm wondering if any of the other manufacturers are starting to catch up. I know Perception started making a pedal drive a few years back but it seemed to be pretty widely panned. Has anyone managed to close the gap with Hobie or are they still just absolutely killing the competition?

Mod is awake, post small botes anyways!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've got one of the inflatable ones, an Intex Explorer K2, to be carried about 15 miles on bicycle to the reservoir and used for the first time tomorrow morning by around sunrise

I am excited !!

I wish I'd thought to get a gopro chest strap or something today, though. Not that there's gonna be much action but, y'know, nice pictures :shobon:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

it suckssss

It's rough, I'm trying to buy an Ascend H10 or H12 for a nice stable flat water and slow river boat right now, and nobody in the world seems to have one because of production and delivery delays. Should have jumped on it in the spring.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
HELL YES kayaks. I just got a bimini top for my Outback. That was a great decision in the summer heat.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Yeah, Im looking for a $500-700 sit in fishing kayak. Basically I want a river/lake kayak I can throw a rod in every now and again. A lot of the old towns are appealing to me but REI, field and stream, and bass pro shop are all sold out around here. It also sucks that despite being in a large city we have no small local shops - all 3 I could find have gone out of business in the last 2 years.

I wanted to get one last year, but I was waiting for my roof rack to arrive to transport them (ask me about ordering one in *November* that didnt arrive until October of the next year).

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I've got one of the inflatable ones, an Intex Explorer K2, to be carried about 15 miles on bicycle to the reservoir and used for the first time tomorrow morning by around sunrise

I am excited !!

I wish I'd thought to get a gopro chest strap or something today, though. Not that there's gonna be much action but, y'know, nice pictures :shobon:

My fiance and I just tried ours out in New York Harbor for the first time and its a great thing to have for easy trips. We need to go up to VT to pick up a canoe from her aunt but havent yet figured out a roof rack situation for the Sentra if anyone has any tips.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
The Intex Challenger / Explorer are a great way to get into kayaking on the cheap. I've got a couple of them that I keep on hand for guests with some cheap but decent Sea Sense paddles and a few life vests I've picked up from Dick's summer BOGO deals. Like the whole kit would maybe cost you $130 bucks if you timed everything right and you can take them pretty much anywhere. Highly suggest giving it a look for anyone interested in kayaking.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Almost everyone here uses the blow up itiwit paddleboards, I don't think I've seen another brand. They are pretty good though as long as you avoid the very cheapest line.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
The wife and I have had a pair of Perception Tribe sit-on-tops for a few years now. San Diego is a great place to own kayaks. For a while wed go out and follow Chinese tour groups around the La Jolla nature preserve, its just a pain launching through the waves.

Any pointers for punching through?

Heres a picture of the wife at sunset in Mission bay... up for 5 minutes and some imgur expert is correcting me.

https://imgur.com/gallery/xuwviba

e: wtf, how do I embed?

Solvent fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 18, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Use the Direct Link with img tags, like so

Good morning all, biked 10mi to be here and feelin pretty fuckin good. First time with this inflatable on the water too :D

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Ciaphas posted:

Use the Direct Link with img tags, like so

Good morning all, biked 10mi to be here and feelin pretty fuckin good. First time with this inflatable on the water too :D

hells yeah :)

i got out early this morning and paddled to a little island I've been chilling on for a bit now. great day to get out on the water

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I paddled alongside a school of ducks quietly for like 20 minutes and it was the most contented I've felt in a very long time :unsmith:

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
I want to go kayaking despite it being 100 degrees outside but my local river is down to like 3 ft of water and I'm too lazy to drive out to a lake. I keep hoping for the summer thunderstorm season to start but it's been pretty dry so far

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gotten way back into paddling this summer. I used to do a bit of canoeing as a teen and haven't for a while, but this weird summer has forced me back out and I'm really enjoying it. I just did a 6 day canoe trip at the start of this month and it was a blast. It was a really easy trip insofar as the paddling, we pretty much were at one spot the whole time and just day tripping out from there and coming back, but next month I'm doing at least one more advanced trip, hopefully two. Obviously the pandemic has been horrible, but I'm glad its pushed me back into doing the things I actually enjoy.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I built a pirogue a few summers back, posted about it in the Nautical Insanity thread in AI. It's a little plywood canoe.

Build log: https://imgur.com/gallery/4sl1B

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Ciaphas posted:

I paddled alongside a school of ducks quietly for like 20 minutes and it was the most contented I've felt in a very long time :unsmith:

finally home and it was amazing on the river today. i passed 21 canada geese swimming single file into one of the side channels of the river:

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I built a pirogue a few summers back, posted about it in the Nautical Insanity thread in AI. It's a little plywood canoe.

Build log: https://imgur.com/gallery/4sl1B

thats really beautiful and its something i hope to do at some point. my 17ft wooden kayak was built by a local high school that has a program where kids build the kayaks and then sell them at cost. they even took it in a repaired it for free after my first year of beating it up so i gave them $40 to get pizzas of something

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Boats!

Current fishing kayak. Pescador 10'.

Previous kayak.

Prior to that I had a Valley Skerray, 17', that was way too much boat for me. It was good enough to roll, tackle expeditions, and look badass. I was not.

I also have a Wenonah 18' canoe but it rarely goes out as it's a pain to move. I picked it up from a guy who retired and was leaving the state the next day so I got it for a wicked sweet deal.

I've come to realize that portability = more time on the water. I'd love to have a Hobie but the weight on some of them puts them into "ugh" category. That and the $4k price tag.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

post ur tits boats

Delta 14, Yakima roof rack with the Jaylow mounts

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Samadhi posted:

post ur tits boats

It turns out I don't actually have any good pictures of my boat but uhhhh behold my big, ridiculous, heavy sit-on-top. Abaco 13.5 tandem, used mainly for cruising through mangroves and as a base of operations for spearfishing.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Luvcow posted:

thats really beautiful and its something i hope to do at some point. my 17ft wooden kayak was built by a local high school that has a program where kids build the kayaks and then sell them at cost. they even took it in a repaired it for free after my first year of beating it up so i gave them $40 to paqwrwwwwrwwasaget pizzas of something

It looks good in pictures and at a distance, but it's also something where I learned a lot building it and if I did build another one it'd be a lot better. I'd build it with an additional set of ribs to make the bottom fatter through most of the boat, and add another two inches or so to the sides.

loaded up for a week at the family river house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

n0tqu1tesane posted:

It looks good in pictures and at a distance, but it's also something where I learned a lot building it and if I did build another one it'd be a lot better. I'd build it with an additional set of ribs to make the bottom fatter through most of the boat, and add another two inches or so to the sides.

loaded up for a week at the family river house.

my parent's house on the river is collectively known as "the riverhouse" and we all live close enough to help them keep up the yard and dock. This pic is from today from the island (it's an island in the marsh and it's a pain in the rear end and super muddy to walk to so it's basically an island) i paddled to:

my oldest brother came down to the island with our family's pontoon/party boat and our friend came in his new inflatable on the right, a 16.5 bris he got for $600 new this year and something like $1500 for the engine. i took the pic from my kayak as i was heading back and they were setting up to grill. I wanted to ride the sweet spot of the tide back and take out before the put in i launched from got muddy. the river house is 4 miles downriver form the island so i usually launch from a spot only 2 miles away. lets me get there quicker and spend more time upriver where it's much nicer to paddle.