Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Poque posted:

:toxx: $1 up to $50 for every screenshot of a game over against Calofisteri :toxx:

I mean, you can't just let Calofister do all the heavy lifting. Maybe you might accidentally move the cursor to the right and hit your own party? Nah, drain and the O.G. knife (you kept that right) will do the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I'll put up a toxx for charity. Also for a weak page snipe.

A little side-game I like to play is to keep everyone at the same experience level. After all, it's only polite to let Lenna catch up after you clear the pyramid and she rejoins your party, levels behind. But, what if... you finished the game with everyone at the same EXP level? No, really, the exact same number of EXP. How is this possible without hacks? The proof is left as an exercise to the reader.

:toxx: I'll pledge $50 each for the first 2 people ($100 total) that can submit a post neo-exdeath "THE END" party screen where all four party members that have the same amount of EXP. :toxx:

I did it just for the hell of it during an easy run composition, not because I have ocd or obsess over FF numbers.

palindrome fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 15, 2020

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

Wait, zombied party members don't count as undead for drain attacks?
Nope, Zombie != Undead and it checks the target only. And White Wind works because White Wind is great. Vampire is great too because of the GBA bug but it still has a chance to whiff.

Oh, I tried out Assassin's Dagger for random healing (hey, helpful for MP at least) but at a Red Mage w/ comparable level it still had minor damage which is bad mostly because of Maelstrom (if you're lucky with the last digit and fast enough you can catch the Sap). And iirc Mini has crits even though it's not exactly the Brawl/Fists weapon type so that's out for the same reason. Also, you can't really get Zombie out of Sleep so not the best, you'd just want to keep level in mind if you had Assassin's Dagger/wanted to risk the Death Sickle (Death Bow has a special death iirc). I guess you could reflect Ancient Sword on a free turn since Bone Mail is immune to Old?

Actually, now that I think about it there was no reason for me to Time Slip that Zombie because Old doesn't work that way on characters (it does stats instead of levels which I'm guessing doesn't include armor's Evasion which is Magic Evade%?). Actually, I didn't check if any of that armor had Magic Evade% lol, I checked weight and agility.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 15, 2020

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Way to go! I'm currently banging my head against that wall...

Actually, gently caress it. :toxx: $10 for everyone who quadzerks sandworm (up to $50)

(including Poque :))

I got bored after finishing the ultrafilter toxx

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

DalaranJ posted:

The Perfect Crime
:toxx: $20 up to a maximum of $200 for each person who can show me,

Post one screenshot showing your classes. You cannot use a thief at any time during this challenge.
Post one screenshot showing your item list containing the following items:
1. Titan's Glove
2. Genji Armor
3. Kornago Gourd (or 2 if you have a beastmaster)
4. 3 Gold Hairpins

(Reminder: There is a gold hairpin in Barrier Tower, and one in the Pyramid, don't forget to pick them up.)

Funny story: Cracking the Wonder Wand doesn't reset the drown timer against Gogo. That one took me a few tries.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Poque posted:

:toxx: $1 up to $50 for every screenshot of a game over against Calofisteri :toxx:

https://imgur.com/a/R2stppG

There, all fifty, in different arrangements of row, position, mini, toad, and break to be visually distinct.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are 4! possible orderings of the characters, and 2^4 possible row configurations. Each character can either be hit with break or not, and one of mini/toad/normal. So the total number of possible game overs against Calofisteri is 4! * 2^4 * 2^4 * 3^4 = 497664. This is really just scratching the surface.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
That's also not counting any combinations involving zombies (can you have a mini or frog zombie?)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ultrafilter posted:

There are 4! possible orderings of the characters, and 2^4 possible row configurations. Each character can either be hit with break or not, and one of mini/toad/normal. So the total number of possible game overs against Calofisteri is 4! * 2^4 * 2^4 * 3^4 = 497664. This is really just scratching the surface.

If break would stop loving missing I could try a little more.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

PMush Perfect posted:

Funny story: Cracking the Wonder Wand doesn't reset the drown timer against Gogo. That one took me a few tries.

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1283588446322413571

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There, all fifty, in different arrangements of row, position, mini, toad, and break to be visually distinct.

I'm losing my mind laughing at this, incredible work!

Okay so let's try this again...

:toxx: $5 up to $50 for the first ten unique posters (excluding OFSheep) to show me their game over screen at Calofisteri! :toxx:

EDIT: Adding $10 to this for my non-script-breaking Omega kill.

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 16, 2020

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

And cuz I think it deserves its own post for being loving hilarious:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Is that one of those magic eye things?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ultrafilter posted:

Is that one of those magic eye things?

If you cross your eyes you see faris as a dead frog.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I haven't seen the sprites for dead while in mini form before, that's hilarious.

TheWonderTrickster
Aug 16, 2013

Osci posted:

Based on what happened during my first fiesta year.
:toxx:

$10 per run, up to $30, for anyone who makes it between the fire and earth crystal with a party of 4 bards.
What I would like to see are pictures of Adamantoise and Archeoaevis dying.

Hi I rolled Dancer as my Wind Job and Bard as my Fire Job so I job faired my Water Job into Samurai so I can do this :shepspends:

Now if you excuse, I'll go play with my non Bard Rolls.

Edit:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:toxx:

I'm adding another late toxx because gently caress it. $1 for every normal kill of the Tyrannosaur in the Moogle Cave, without exploiting its Undead status. That means no Phoenix Downs, no Healing Items, just a regular fight. The limit will be $25. Quote this or something of mine so it's easier to see, if you please.

Well last one to take care of for the night thanks to being over-leveled:

:shepspends:

TheWonderTrickster fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 16, 2020

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

You're insane. I'm going to add $6 from this one, although I never expected for anyone to go for Omega with goblin punches - so it kind of feels like I should donate more from this.

Seriously though - impressive stuff!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

berenzen posted:

I have a little bit of expendable cash, so I think I'll make a :toxx: of my own.

I will pay $10 per superboss (to a max of $50 for each, $100 total) for anyone that beats them "legitimately". That means no quickleaking/!calm/!sing/chemist berserking omega, and no berserking/quickleaking shinryu. Basically, fight the superbosses without breaking their script in some way.

It's hard to capture, if you are running bard/beastmaster/time/etc. I'll still accept submissions, just use the honor system.

Looks like this has been fulfilled, but

(Faris was a black mage)

Pre-emptive attack, set Thundaga blade on Krile, everybody else defended. Krile X-Fought, Omega countered with mustard bomb on Faris and doubled-up Lenna with rocket punch. Krile X-Fought again and it died.

I'll add the $10 to the end of my Calofisteri toxx!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Double posting cuzzzzz Run 6 - Pure Chaos - Ranger / Black Mage / Mystic Knight / Thief - Complete!

Went in thinking I'd just do a Pure Chaos and then job fair the whole thing, but ended up with a great composition team. I ended up having too many people who could really benefit from the Chicken Knife, which kind of sucked? Ultimately I settled for giving the Mystic Knight the Chicken Knife, Thief the rear end Dagger, and Ranger the Yoichi Bow. They all used X-Fight.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Win number 3! I might come back to this file to triple crown it later just for funsies. I had SO MUCH DAMAGE. It was really nice. Pretty frail, though, which got me in trouble at times. My only healing was items or Drain. Up next, two runs where I'll almost certainly have to Job Fair the whole thing.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Run 1: White Mage/Berserker/Ninja/Samurai

My store reopened right when the fiesta started and I've been working like 50 hours a week so i've barely had the energy to play this run which was honestly really easy.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

The Perfect Crime

Post one screenshot showing your classes. You cannot use a thief at any time during this challenge.
1. Titan's Glove
2. Genji Armor
4. 3 Gold Hairpins

(Reminder: There is a gold hairpin in Barrier Tower, and one in the Pyramid, don't forget to pick them up.)

I'm comin' for those sweet dollars

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'm comin' for those sweet dollars

what

how

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think the “level 79” has something to do with it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

PMush Perfect posted:

I think the “level 79” has something to do with it.

The Kornago Gourd is from Omniscient.

You know, mister "THAT HIPPIE poo poo AIN'T MAGIC"

I have So Many Questions.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I forgot to post this

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

The Kornago Gourd is from Omniscient.

You know, mister "THAT HIPPIE poo poo AIN'T MAGIC"

I have So Many Questions.

All will be revealed in due time.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

All will be revealed in due time.

Soon...

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

The Perfect Crime

1. Titan's Glove
2. Genji Armor
4. 3 Gold Hairpins

So after I finished ultrafilter's 20 class toxx, I was bored and decided to do a quadzerker run. It was a pretty normal run, did grinding to 42 for the sandworm, coasted until right before the void.

At this point, I went to the pyramid and went to the last room that has slidey-stairs, I abused speed up extensively by walking up the slidey-stairs, getting pushed back down, over and over. With Up held down and pushing A it just turboed through fights. One of the enemies you can fight in that room has an Elixir that can be stolen, and I was stealing them at a faster rate than I was getting hit, so once I got low on HP I just elixired everyone and kept going. This got me up to 79, I got bored and decided to go kill some stuff. That's when I got the crazy idea to see if I could steal from Omniscient.

Heist #1: Kornago Gourd from Omniscient
The first question to be answered was if it was even possible to kill Omniscient with 3 berserkers if one of them is using the thief's knife. So I set up my party and held down turbo until I killed Omniscient. At this point I knew it was theoretically possible to do, but it was going to take a long time since I had to get perfect silence procs and also pull off a rare steal.

I killed Omni a few times, then I just got completely stuck in a run. I held down turbo for around 20 minutes and Omni just wouldn't die, so I wasn't sure if I had just gotten incredibly lucky on my first few attempts or incredibly unlucky on the this attempt. I did a few more tries, and kept getting stuck without a kill. At this point I realized this was going to take something more than just holding down the turbo button and hoping.

I had played around with the memory viewer in VBA a bit when I was fighting the sandworm over and over, mostly out of curiosity and boredom, I reset after playing around because I wanted to get a legit kill but I knew I could edit the memory and do things like manually silence Omni, or even kill him (Credit to this guy for mapping out the memory locations for things, I couldn't have done it without him). But again, I wanted to get a legit kill without manipulating the memory.

So I started researching emulators that support scripting and found VBA-RR which supports Lua. I looked at the functions it supported, I could read memory and load a save state, so I started experimenting with scripting out my task.

First, I needed to be able to detect what I had stolen, I sold all of my Potions (the common steal) and emptied out the first slot in my inventory. Then in battle memory address 0x0201C360 would tell me what item is in the first slot. 00 for empty, E0 for a potion, and C5 for the Kornago Gourd. So I could tell whether I was successful stealing, so my first attempt at scripting the fight was to save the state just before the fight, go into the fight, reset if I stole a potion, and keep going until I killed Omni (and reset if I killed Omni without the gourd).

The problem I ran into next was I once again kept getting stuck in neverending fights, after watching what was happening for a while I realized that the fight could get stuck in a loop. Since there is no human input a berserker fight will play out exactly the same every time if all the initial memory state is the same, and something in the RNG for the Omniscient fight can cause the memory state to loop between Returns. So I needed to do something about this. I decided to add a timer to each save state load, if the attempt went more than a certain amount of time I would reload and try again automatically.

I also added some randomness to the start of each attempt, I would wait a random number of frames before initiating the fight to try and find the perfect memory setup to pull off The Perfect Crime. The final piece of the puzzle was removing the automatic restart if I stole a potion. I was never clearing the fight with the potion reset in place. The first steal in an Omniscient fight is almost entirely irrelevant, the chances of killing him with no returns is very small, so there is no point in resetting just because of one bad steal.

At this point I had run a few hundred attempts with various versions of the script, but I was confident that over a long enough timeframe it would work, I just didn't know how long. So I set it up to run overnight, started getting ready for bed, turned my monitor back on just to see how it was going... I poo poo you not I turned my monitor on just in time to see "Stole Kornago Gourd!" followed by a series of successful silences and the kill.

https://pastebin.com/pCcahgJD is the final script for Omniscient, it is a mess but it works.

Heist #2 - Gold Hairpin from Gogo
Gogo was a puzzle. Even ignoring stealing from him, how do 4 berserkers get through the Gogo fight?

The first thing I tried was a straight DPS race. Gogo counterattacks physical attacks with a punch that does somewhere between about 3k and 9999 and after a while he just starts triple casting meteors. I could pretty reliably get him to the point where he was triple casting, so I thought maybe the same strategy as Omni would work. Give someone the Thief's knife, load up everyone else with Mage Mashers, and just pound him. Unfortunately Gogo has 47,714 HP compared to Omniscient's 16,999 so it would take a lot more silences to get through his HP. He also has 99 Magic Evasion compared to Omniscient's 0, so silence is a lot harder to land. A DPS race was not going to work.

Then I thought maybe if my attacks did 0 he wouldn't counter attack. I could stick weak weapons on 3 characters and the thief's knife on another, the idea being the counter attacks would kill my thief knife-r, then the other 3 characters would hit for 0 and he would consider that the same as doing nothing.

0 HP attacks do not count as doing nothing. This wasn't going to work either. However, I did notice that misses DID count as doing nothing, so I went back out of Walse tower, hunted down something that could blind me, and then tried again. I kept the 3 other characters unarmed so that we would be less likely to push Gogo into his Meteor enrage before I could steal, I successfully got through him a few times, but the success rate was very low. Then I remembered that axes and hammers have terrible accuracy, so I stuck a hammer on the other 3 characters and my successful clear rate went way up. Then it was just a matter of doing it enough times to get the rare steal.

Here's a video of the clear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl7aqoJheFE

I was really surprised when Butz whacked him at the end but he still gave me the clear a few seconds later. I guess there's just a certain amount of time you have to be doing nothing and occasional attacks don't reset it? Whatever, I'll take it!

I ended up scripting out this fight too, although once the hammer accuracy part clicked it really wasn't even needed. Here's the script anyway https://pastebin.com/HwepJxaM

Heist #3 - Titan's Glove from Azulmagia
I just reset the fight a few times. :lol:

Heist #4 - Genji Armor from Gilgamesh
I thought this was going to be as easy as the Titan's Glove, but that's because I thought this came from Greg 5 instead of Greg 6 in the Necrophobe fight. Still, at this point getting through Necrophobe was straightforward, so it was just a matter of getting a successful steal on Greg in the 3 turns I had after he appears. It only took ~20 tries? Not as easy as Azulmagia but a breeze compared to Omniscient and Gogo.

The final result:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Writing LUA scripts is a step too far for me, not for any ethical reason, but because I'm dumb as rocks. :shepface:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jose Valasquez posted:

The final result:

:allbuttons:

do uh

do you want a special vanity role in discord for this nonsense

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!
I got monk, summoner, ranger, and samurai. Anyone have any tips? World 2 is getting hard for me

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Zuiko-Digital posted:

I got monk, summoner, ranger, and samurai. Anyone have any tips? World 2 is getting hard for me

Take a look at Enkibot.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Monk: Sorry.
Summoner: Buy Gaia Gear, use Titan
Ranger: Buy the Killer Bow in Quelb, buy as many as you can equip.
Samurai: If it doesn't get hit by Titan and it doesn't get hit by death farm for cash and slam it with Zenigage.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Buy Gaia Gear and cast Titan a lot. Heal with !Animals cos I think that’s around the time Nightingale is most common.

Get Golem in Drakenvale and Carbuncle in Meatfort. It’ll be all the defense you need for the rest of the game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

Monk: Sorry.

Eh, Monk is just a Summoner with huge HP pool in this scenario. :v:

E: unless they did something dumb like playing Natural

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kyrosiris posted:

Eh, Monk is just a Summoner with huge HP pool in this scenario. :v:

E: unless they did something dumb like playing Natural

Meh, they have the single worst equipment set for a Summon secondary. No magic boosts, no Gold Hairpin, they can't even pick up an Air Knife to boost Lapras. They're probably still best off hucking items between Golem refreshes. Maybe they sick around for a last ditch Phoenix, but even then, you have a Summoner, you can just spam Catoblepas to take care of NED's Almagest and nothing else should be giving you the kind of trouble that would require a last ditch Phoenix.

If your levels are decent enough Gil Toss or even Rapidfire might be a better option, the other characters (esp Ranger) make for better backup summoners honestly.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

berenzen posted:

I have a little bit of expendable cash, so I think I'll make a :toxx: of my own.

I will pay $10 per superboss (to a max of $50 for each, $100 total) for anyone that beats them "legitimately". That means no quickleaking/!calm/!sing/chemist berserking omega, and no berserking/quickleaking shinryu. Basically, fight the superbosses without breaking their script in some way.

It's hard to capture, if you are running bard/beastmaster/time/etc. I'll still accept submissions, just use the honor system.

I just got Omega and Shinryu as fairly as possible as one can at level 97.

If this is closed then oh well another triple crown!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

:popeye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

It was closed, but I'll throw another 20 bucks on the pile for true dedication.