Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Who is Raven murdering here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Looks like Essa Rios’s tights but idk if that’s him

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

Who is Raven murdering here?

It is indeed Essa Rios. They wrestled several times but this is from this match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuucHzeMG58

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

MysticalMachineGun posted:

This feels a little unfair to Edge - he had multiple Cena and Undertaker feuds, and was top champ on SmackDown! for a long time. He and Orton teaming up was a proper two main eventer team... for that era.

It reads accurately to me. Sure he feuded with those guys, but he was never truly as much as he could have been thanks to his first run being cut off so quickly. It was only after Wrestlemania where Edge was allowed back in, and they proceeded to run Cena vs Edge so many times it really was just dull to see. After that, Cena and DX ruled Raw and most of the company’s marketing while Edge mixed it up in the small pond with Undertaker and Batista being the big names.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
In a company like WWE I think Edge did unbelievably well for a guy with the body of a 13 year old.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

In a company like WWE I think Edge did unbelievably well for a guy with the body of a 13 year old.

Historically theres been people in the WWE who did much much much worse with the body of a 13 year old.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Historically theres been people in the WWE who did much much much worse with the body of a 13 year old.
dude

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

SiKboy posted:

:popeye:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Lol

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SiKboy posted:

You're working some rough chuckles these days.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SiKboy posted:

the darkest :lmao:

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

So I learned my dad used to enjoy the AWA in the 70s or so. Can someone tell be more about it, especially during that era? We're especially trying to figure out the Japanese babyface? on that he liked. It's not Tiger Mask and he thinks the guy's name is Kobiyashi.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Maigius posted:

So I learned my dad used to enjoy the AWA in the 70s or so. Can someone tell be more about it, especially during that era? We're especially trying to figure out the Japanese babyface? on that he liked. It's not Tiger Mask and he thinks the guy's name is Kobiyashi.

way off Kobiyashi but it could be Masa Saito

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masa_Saito

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Maigius posted:

Are you sure it's the 70s? Jumbo Tsuruta had a reign as the World Champ in the 80s.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

was it Strong Kobayashi? Wrestled in the AWA from 1970-1972, no idea if he was a babyface though

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

That’s an industry term for “add sugar to.”

Thank you for this.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

The Berzerker posted:

Thank you for this.

I didn’t want to “Stop the Multiverse” to explain it, so good ol Mitch would have to suffice.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Lamuella posted:

Think of it like this: people are still doing stand up comedy online. Most compensate for the lack of audience by working around it and not leaving awkward pauses. I've seen one or two of compensate for the lack of audience with canned laughter, and unless you're using it to highlight artificiality it ALWAYS sounds like poo poo.

I actually copied AEW and asked the other comics on the lineup to sit around the camera haha

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Is there a "canon" listing of Okada-Tanahashi matches that encompasses their story? And are any of them considered head-and-shoulders above the others?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

FakePoet posted:

Is there a "canon" listing of Okada-Tanahashi matches that encompasses their story? And are any of them considered head-and-shoulders above the others?

Not exactly what you asked, but John Carroll from the Wrestling Omakase podcast has recently done a series on their Patreon covering all 14 singles matches they've had, from Okada's last match in Japan before going on excursion in 2010 through to their G1 match last year in Dallas. Personally I think you'd get a very good idea of the whole series just starting with the 12/2/2012 watch at New Beginning which was their first match for the IWGP Heavyweight title.

So that'd be 12/2/12, 16/6/12, 4/1/13, 7/4/13, 10/8/13, 14/10/13, 4/1/15, 4/1/16, 12/8/16, 4/5/18, 10/8/18, 23/9/18 & 6/7/19.

I'm sure there's good tag matches along the way that also build the story but just sticking to their singles matches will take you many hours.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

yoshi hashi/okada is bad but I feel like not watching wrestlekingdom 6 would do a disservice. tanahashi/suzuki is pretty good also, just to see the post match walkout.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FakePoet posted:

Okada vs Tana at WK 10 was absolutely incredible.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 18, 2020

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

forkboy84 posted:

Not exactly what you asked, but John Carroll from the Wrestling Omakase podcast has recently done a series on their Patreon covering all 14 singles matches they've had, from Okada's last match in Japan before going on excursion in 2010 through to their G1 match last year in Dallas. Personally I think you'd get a very good idea of the whole series just starting with the 12/2/2012 watch at New Beginning which was their first match for the IWGP Heavyweight title.

So that'd be 12/2/12, 16/6/12, 4/1/13, 7/4/13, 10/8/13, 14/10/13, 4/1/15, 4/1/16, 12/8/16, 4/5/18, 10/8/18, 23/9/18 & 6/7/19.

I'm sure there's good tag matches along the way that also build the story but just sticking to their singles matches will take you many hours.

Absolutely works for my purposes; I was at the Dallas show, which was a lot of fun (the Archer/Ospreay opener as far as the tourney matches was also just a ton of fun).

Also my first live wrestling show, as I grew up somewhere that wasn't big enough for any, though we definitely watched it growing up.

Thanks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

Okada vs Tana at WK 10 was absolutely incredible.

You should watch WK9 first if you're gonna watch that one. Hell, just watch like the last 2 hours of both cards.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

saffi faildotter posted:

was it Strong Kobayashi? Wrestled in the AWA from 1970-1972, no idea if he was a babyface though

That's the guy. Dad was impressed with his moves

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
If you only watch one Okada/Tana tag, make sure it's the December 2013 Okada/Nakamura vs. Tanahashi/Naito match.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Why was The Kat fired from WWF? I'm relistening to some of the last Retro Raws and Nitros and I remember - and th podcast confirms - that she was all over TV for a year or two. Then she's just...gone.

I know she was Lawler's girlfriend and he left over her firing or something but I'm not sure how all this is connected.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

NikkolasKing posted:

Why was The Kat fired from WWF? I'm relistening to some of the last Retro Raws and Nitros and I remember - and th podcast confirms - that she was all over TV for a year or two. Then she's just...gone.

I know she was Lawler's girlfriend and he left over her firing or something but I'm not sure how all this is connected.

He quit when she was fired.

I went to her Wikipedia because I seemed to remember something about it but then:

Uhhh I don’t think I’m gonna trust either of those sources.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

From an interview with JR:

Jim Ross posted:

On why Carter was let go: “So the issue was that, as I remember it because I had never had one person come to me and say, ‘Man, JR, you gotta talk to Stacy. She’s just busting our balls, you can’t work with her and she knows a better way to do anything. And she’s got a little taste of the spotlight now, she’s being carried away with it’-type thing, whatever. Nothing. It was just that Vince came out of the blue, said, ‘You know, I’m getting too many complaints about Stacy and I’m not gonna tolerate it. And I want you to let her go today.’ Boom, it was that quick. So, I didn’t have any — I tried to discuss it. But basically some of the producers, the writers, whatever. I think they were the culprit in this matter. Because for whatever reason, she was challenging their authority or their decision-making, or their creativity or whatever. Anyway, that was the reason I was given.”

On breaking the news: “I told Jerry, ‘Look, I feel bad about this deal. I don’t agree with the decision.’ I didn’t agree with it then, I don’t agree with it now. But that’s the marching orders that I got from the headquarters. So you’re a soldier, you follow the damned orders. You take the guy’s money, you do what he says. So I did. And I even told Jerry, ‘Well maybe, do you wanna tell her? I’ll tell her, don’t get me wrong, but maybe it comes easier from you, I don’t know. I want to make this as easy for both of you as I possibly can, tell me how I can help do that.’ So I think he told her, as I recall. So that’s kind of how that deal worked.”

So it sounds like code for 'kevin dunn didn't like working with her,' I guess?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Probably more like code for 'she wouldn't sleep with Dunn'.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CarlCX posted:

From an interview with JR:

So it sounds like code for 'kevin dunn didn't like working with her,' I guess?

Setting aside Jerry Lawler's... issues, it does sound like he and JR are really close, which is nice.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Lawler quit in protest then Kat had an affair with either Trevor Murdoch or his tag partner on the indies (not Lance Cade). She's married to Kizarny now.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

That’s scummy as hell but it also led to the JR/Heyman announce team, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

That’s scummy as hell but it also led to the JR/Heyman announce team, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

that team owned :allears:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I guess this is as good a time as any, but what the gently caress was Kizarny? I only remember the name from years ago and then I saw a brief clip of some idiot at a carnival on the latest OSW review.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I guess this is as good a time as any, but what the gently caress was Kizarny? I only remember the name from years ago and then I saw a brief clip of some idiot at a carnival on the latest OSW review.

some idiot at a carnival

Answered your own question

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Randaconda posted:

that team owned :allears:

I loved them clowning the poo poo out of each other even if it only lasted a few months. And they got to call the greatest Wrestlemania together.

Oh, and thanks for the Kizarny explanation?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Basically his gimmick was meant to be "weird carnie with dark circus of the bizarre". They did months of promos for him, debuted in January 2009, had his last TV match in February 2009, and was released by March 2009.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Was he known by another name elsewhere? Like someone that actually was worth a poo poo in TNA or something? Or is it just that it's been a running joke over the last ten years or so? Because I know I've heard the name a bunch of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Was he known by another name elsewhere? Like someone that actually was worth a poo poo in TNA or something? Or is it just that it's been a running joke over the last ten years or so? Because I know I've heard the name a bunch of times.

absolutely a running joke