Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

WaltherFeng posted:

A weird little detail I never paid attention to before. Some Shinra employees including managers live in the slums.

That's a bit ironic.

It makes sense that a bloated bureaucracy like Shinra would have a bunch of "manager" titles that don't actually pay much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Logical1234 posted:

As somebody who just finished this game, I have one thing to say.

Cloud is such a loving dork. It’s kinda amazing

you leave him alone hes a good boy! :colbert:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think there's a door on the first floor you can't open

There is but it (like every door you can't open) is a shitter. This is cannon (like my shitter).

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
you poo poo in a cannon?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

WaltherFeng posted:

A weird little detail I never paid attention to before. Some Shinra employees including managers live in the slums.

That's a bit ironic.

Why's that? Being explicitly labeled a "Middle Manager", who is nevertheless, a full on corporate bootlicker, is an overtly political statement.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao at this scene where (chapter 9 spoilers) Cloud gets the hand massage. I went for the expensive one and Cloud is just walking around in a daze afterwards.

Cloud is so good in this game.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

Moola posted:

Your acting like I think Cloud being a dork is a bad thing. I’ll take a dork who can be badass, over a badass who has less depth than a cardboard box.

Cloud has a personality! And one I can enjoy with only slight ribbing. Socially awkward Cloud is best Cloud

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Replaying the original after the remake gives a bit of light to how his lines should read in text. It makes for a much more delightful game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Moola posted:

He's doing his best.

Ytlaya posted:

lmao at this scene where (chapter 9 spoilers) Cloud gets the hand massage. I went for the expensive one and Cloud is just walking around in a daze afterwards.

Cloud is so good in this game.
It's amazing how many people had the joke go completely over their head and were like "man this is so weird, who gets a HAND massage?"

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

That's a bit ironic.

Do they? I know a lot of people early on were visiting the slums as a tourism thing (they have a name for it and everything)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
There are Shinra managers taking the last train to the slums in Episode 1 and IIRC one of them meets his spouse / relative in the station implying they commute to work by train.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is the status effect materia (Binding IIRC) worth leveling up?

In general what are some of the best materia? I have a pretty wide variety and not nearly enough slots to use them all (though from what I understand it seems like I'll have a large number of slots by the end-game; I currently only have like 7 total between my weapon and accessory).

WaltherFeng posted:

There are Shinra managers taking the last train to the slums in Episode 1 and IIRC one of them meets his spouse / relative in the station implying they commute to work by train.

I imagine part of it is related to where the Shinra employee is working; there are still plenty of employees in the slums for various reasons.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Is the status effect materia (Binding IIRC) worth leveling up?

In general what are some of the best materia? I have a pretty wide variety and not nearly enough slots to use them all (though from what I understand it seems like I'll have a large number of slots by the end-game; I currently only have like 7 total between my weapon and accessory).

I imagine part of it is related to where the Shinra employee is working; there are still plenty of employees in the slums for various reasons.

To answer your first question: yes. Sleep in particular is a very powerful status effect both for helping to control a crowd which is important in later chapters when there are some real rear end in a top hat enemies, as well as fixing the monster in place so you can nail 'em with a high level spell. The other status effects aren't quite as important but I imagine there are times when they might come in handy in a pinch.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kongming posted:

The fastest way to do that stagger challenge is to use Barret’s overcharge, each hit counts so you get like 4 credits per use.

Ok thanks. It was the only challenge that wasn't building up, now I am close I think only need few more attempts.

Just got the Shiva vr battle and did that with Cloud. Pretty fun and most challenging boss so far. Luckily I had the elemental materia + fira but the my basic attacks kept showing reduced but when Shiva was staggered it was showing weakness.

I didn't know to get the elemental materia on your weapon the dual slots have to be on the weapon itself so I tried to do the fight with the iron sword since it has higher magic dmg but I had the materia on my accessory. Btw if you have elemental materia on your sword is that damage going off your strength stat or magic? Also I am guessing weapon level affects materia slot/linked slots and the amount of slots you get?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hell House was probably the hardest boss fight I've had yet; had to blow a lot of items on healing and regenerating MP. I had trouble figuring out what to do when he puts up the shield and spent a long time on the final phase. Is there a way to check an enemy's status after you've already Assess'd them, or do you have to cast Assess again? I was just trying to figure out what he was weak against at different times through trying different spells (though I only had Fire/Ice spells on my characters at the time).

Aerith can really tear poo poo up if she casts a spell the enemy is weak against due to her Arcane Ward thing. I like how Arcade Ward actually lasts long enough to definitely be worth it most of the time. Usually a double cast of the highest level magic the enemy is weak against (currently -ara spells, don't have -aga yet) does like 4000-5000 damage total.

When a summon is out, is it best to spend AP on using its skills? It's not clear to me how they compare with using the AP on, say, casting magic or something. And that's ignoring the double-ATB-bar summon abilities.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hitting the touchpad brings up the assess information again. It updates to show changes in enemies too.

Also there's no harm in retrying battles, it puts you literally within sight of the trigger to start it, so you can go into one, realize the enemy is weak to wind and attacks with fire or whatever, retry, add those materia and go into the fight better prepared now.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 16, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

When a summon is out, is it best to spend AP on using its skills? It's not clear to me how they compare with using the AP on, say, casting magic or something. And that's ignoring the double-ATB-bar summon abilities.

This is very much a case-to-case matter.

If you're trying to stagger a pressured enemy and choosing between a Focused attack vs a summon ability, then maybe the Focused attack would be a better choice.

Casting an attack spell that hits a weakness vs a summon ability that doesn't? Spell most of the time.

Two offensive abilities that take up 1 ATB bar each vs a summon ability that takes two? Tough one.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
One of the problems with the battles when it comes to the summons is that it's hard to tell what the special moves really achieve as you'll probably be paying attention to what your player-controlled character is doing. I haven't really watched YouTube fights of games I'm actively playing before but it's the best way to actually figure this stuff out. I'm not going to play an hour of a chapter and spend 10 minutes building up a summon to have a mess around with Hell House, for example.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Marmaduke! posted:

One of the problems with the battles when it comes to the summons is that it's hard to tell what the special moves really achieve as you'll probably be paying attention to what your player-controlled character is doing. I haven't really watched YouTube fights of games I'm actively playing before but it's the best way to actually figure this stuff out. I'm not going to play an hour of a chapter and spend 10 minutes building up a summon to have a mess around with Hell House, for example.

Chapter 10 starts with a boss fight so theres that at least

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm almost at that part on hard mode, maybe I'll take the opportunity...

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Are the vr battles with chedley all solo and is there a way to remove your party members like you could in ffx.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ulio posted:

Are the vr battles with chedley all solo and is there a way to remove your party members like you could in ffx.

You can equip the party members you don't like with the Frog Rings.

The VR battles work the same way as the Colosseum extra battles, some are solo, some aren't.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

bewilderment posted:

You can equip the party members you don't like with the Frog Rings.

The VR battles work the same way as the Colosseum extra battles, some are solo, some aren't.

Thanks for that, the little side content so far has been fun in this game. Is there more stuff to do later on as in side content?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
After you beat the big monster at the start of chapter 10, Aerith asks if it lives in the sewer. Does she think it maybe commutes in?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It actually lives on the plate, got a nice little bungalow.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Aerith and Cloud moments in sector 5 when they first meet is so wholesome. Aerith trying to get Cloud to show some emotions while helping other people.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

"Well, look who it is. Talk about a coincidence." is somehow my favorite line in the game. The delivery is so spot on with her body language.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Marmaduke! posted:

After you beat the big monster at the start of chapter 10, Aerith asks if it lives in the sewer. Does she think it maybe commutes in?

I think that's more of a does it live here naturally or did Don Corneo catch it and then force it to live there.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
There's a remix/re-imagining of the Costa Del Sol theme in FF7R that's NOT the jukebox one that I've been humming for the last few days, but I can't seem to find it or what it's named on YouTube. Can anyone help me out?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm doing what I think is the last set of side-quests before the run up to the end of the game (chapter 14). Comments:

- Behemoth fight fortunately wasn't as hard as I expected
- Leviathan VR fight is giving me a lot of trouble. I can't seem to reliably stop it from casting that one huge attack, and that attack instantly wipes out everyone. I might try it again with a Magnify -> Barrier combo so I can keep up defense. I didn't realize until today that you could combine Magnify and heal/buff materia; I've been it with attack magic like a dumbass. Will I get a chance to attempt it with Aerith in my party in the future? The game is making it sound like this is some point of no return where you can't do side content again afterwards.
- I had trouble with the final level of that pull-up minigame until I turned off the sound (the music makes it way harder because you're having to hit the button in a way that doesn't match its beat). Even with the sound off you still can't make a single mistake.
- For a while I thought that Andrea was Rude and was very confused and wondering where he found the time to moonlight as a dancer
- This game is really good and I like all of these characters a lot.

Gameplay questions:
- Is Overpower Tifa's best skill for building stagger?
- When do you want to use Starshower with her?
- Do you ever want to use Infinity Something with Cloud when an enemy isn't staggered (forget the name, that skill that uses 2 ATB bars and does extra damage to staggered enemies and also takes very long to cast and frequently misses the target)? Is Focused Thrust always Cloud's best skill for building stagger?
- Is Focused Shot Barret's best stagger-building skill?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 20, 2020

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I'm doing what I think is the last set of side-quests before the run up to the end of the game (chapter 14). Comments:

- Leviathan VR fight is giving me a lot of trouble. I can't seem to reliably stop it from casting that one huge attack, and that attack instantly wipes out everyone. I might try it again with a Magnify -> Barrier combo so I can keep up wondering where he found the time to moonlight as a dancer

Gameplay questions:
- Is Overpower Tifa's best skill for building stagger?
- When do you want to use Starshower with her?
- Do you ever want to use Infinity Something with Cloud when an enemy isn't staggered (forget the name, that skill that uses 2 ATB bars and does extra damage to staggered enemies and also takes very long to cast and frequently misses the target)? Is Focused Thrust always Cloud's best skill for building stagger?
- Is Focused Shot Barret's best stagger-building skill?

You can do Leviathan up until almost the end of the game - Chadley keeps popping up. At the end you can choose the party you want for it if it's too tough.

For stagger: You'll notice sometimes when you do a lot of damage to enemies suddenly or hit them with certain attacks they go into a Pressured state. When they're Pressured, any skill with Focused in the name builds up stagger extremely quickly (So Focused Shot, Focused Thrust, Focused Strike for tifa). Generally, your best bet is to Pressure an enemy and then use these skills. A strong magic hit an enemy is weak to will usually pressure them, lots of continual damage will pressure them. You can just spam the Focused abilities to get pressure too.

I think Overpower on Tifa is a skill that can put enemies into that state quickly. It's also one of those skills that is stronger when Tifa is buffed with Unbridled Strength btw! The game doesn't tell you this! If you Unbridled Strength twice (changes your triangle move) your normal square attacks and a lot of other weapon skills get additional abilities. This is why she's sometimes doing crazy flips and followups and sometimes isn't.

Starshower does buff your next attack but is itself a really good skill. It does AOE damage, it hits hard, gives her a buff. It's good to use!

Tifa ALSO gets a skill that lets her increase the stagger %, making enemies take more damage from all damage while staggered (Along with her triangle combos which also do this)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A [digital copy] INTO THE [ps4]. ITS [final fantasy 7 remake] AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, [tifa]. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME [anything] BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP [stagger combo]. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE [shinra]’S MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY [socially distancing public space] AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN [socially distancing public space] CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Gologle posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A [digital copy] INTO THE [ps4]. ITS [final fantasy 7 remake] AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, [tifa]. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME [anything] BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP [stagger combo]. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE [shinra]’S MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY [socially distancing public space] AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN [socially distancing public space] CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING

Final Fantasy House returns

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think Overpower on Tifa is a skill that can put enemies into that state quickly. It's also one of those skills that is stronger when Tifa is buffed with Unbridled Strength btw! The game doesn't tell you this! If you Unbridled Strength twice (changes your triangle move) your normal square attacks and a lot of other weapon skills get additional abilities. This is why she's sometimes doing crazy flips and followups and sometimes isn't.

Starshower does buff your next attack but is itself a really good skill. It does AOE damage, it hits hard, gives her a buff. It's good to use!

Tifa ALSO gets a skill that lets her increase the stagger %, making enemies take more damage from all damage while staggered (Along with her triangle combos which also do this)

Do you know how long the Starshower buff lasts? I did notice that Tifa flips out sometimes and speculated that it was related to Unbridled Strength.

Is the stagger% skill the one where she dodges first? That skill confuses me a bit, because I don't know how you'd ever use that dodge. She immediately returns to her starting position, so it seems like you'd just jump away and then instantly return and get hit by the enemy's attack (unless you timed things perfectly).

I also fundamentally misunderstood the stagger system. I thought it was just "attacking builds the meter, hitting with weaknesses and certain skills builds the meter more"; I didn't realize you put it into a state which then makes it build fast.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Ytlaya posted:

Do you know how long the Starshower buff lasts? I did notice that Tifa flips out sometimes and speculated that it was related to Unbridled Strength.

Is the stagger% skill the one where she dodges first? That skill confuses me a bit, because I don't know how you'd ever use that dodge. She immediately returns to her starting position, so it seems like you'd just jump away and then instantly return and get hit by the enemy's attack (unless you timed things perfectly).

I also fundamentally misunderstood the stagger system. I thought it was just "attacking builds the meter, hitting with weaknesses and certain skills builds the meter more"; I didn't realize you put it into a state which then makes it build fast.

Her focused strike is where she jumps back, and then dashes forward. That's the skill you want to use when they're pressured. As an added benefit, some skills have an undocumented effect of "refunding" some of their ATB cost, and her focused strike move refunds almost the entire cost of the ability. I guess to compensate, it doesn't build quite as much stagger as Focused Thrust or Focused Shot.

As for Starshower, I believe the buff is only good for the next ability you use, but it was never clear to me if you had to use the next ability immediately after Starshower, or if you could do some auto-attacks in-between.

And yeah, I don't think the Focused [x] moves are very good at all at building stagger UNLESS they're in a pressured state, at which point they build a whole lot of stagger. So the basic flow of fights is generally unloading a bunch of auto-attacks and abilities (preferably weakness magic) to get them pressured, and then have everyone spam Focused [x] abilities to stagger them.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yeah, dont waste ATB on Focused attacks if the enemy isnt Pressured.

Disorder is one of Cloud's best pressuring abilities because it lets you chain together Operator and Punisher mode combos.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 21, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://novacrystallis.com/2020/07/final-fantasy-vii-remakes-second-part-is-in-full-development/

quote:

Other bits found in the 15 page spread note that (minor spoilers) the new character Roche was meant to appear at some point in chapter 14 to do battle. According to co-director Motomu Toriyama, this character has a high chance of reappearing in the next installment.

Additionally, parts like the Madam M massage scene weren’t allowed to go any further in order to keep the rating, and AVALANCHE’s hideout wasn’t added to show that Cloud didn’t have a close relationship with them yet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I too was disappointed when my man Roche didn't leap out of nowhere to Han Solo some Shinra dudes in the final chapter.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope Roche beats a Sephiroth/takes one of their swords off screen and just keeps cutting his way in like Virgil cutting portals in space in the next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well duh, it was super obvious the hand "massage" was just a ratings-friendly handjob metaphor made literal, especially with the camera angles. they did great work turning it into a hilarious scene.

I've said it before but I hope if Roche continues to degenerate as a Soldier like was foreshadowed, that he starts mutating or some poo poo and turns into the Devil Ride enemy that shows up outside Midgar and gets turned into a boss Hell House style.