Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

also I've noticed the following, not sure if it applies to everyone but so far I think it checks out: when following someone, they will move at YOUR pace instead of you following at theirs. So if you're walking, they'll walk. You sprint, they sprint. Hell, I think if you call your horse they'll do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

blue squares posted:

Kinda weird first post in this thread, not gonna lie

Nah i think its a valid question. Dismemberment is one of the best forms of combat feedback.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I want them to patch in New Game Plus. It would be fun to play with all the skills from the beginning.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I want them to patch in New Game Plus. It would be fun to play with all the skills from the beginning.

Same, I'd like to do a full Japanese-audio Kurosawa filter playthrough like that.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

Are there beheadings in the game?

I haven’t seen any limbs flying so I don’t think dismemberment is a thing in the game.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

also I've noticed the following, not sure if it applies to everyone but so far I think it checks out: when following someone, they will move at YOUR pace instead of you following at theirs. So if you're walking, they'll walk. You sprint, they sprint. Hell, I think if you call your horse they'll do the same.

This applies on horseback as well. I’ve gotten to places too quick and it cut off the dialogue so careful if ur worried about stuff like that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Romes128 posted:

I haven’t seen any limbs flying so I don’t think dismemberment is a thing in the game.

It’s been seen in trailers and pre-release videos and I feel like I’ve seen a couple of dudes die from losing at least a hand and clutching at the stump, but I’m usually too busy slicing up the next guy to pay that much attention.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Romes128 posted:

Special moves can dismember and there are scripted beheadings. It's not very common, however.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's a tip that I think is pretty important: You can use multiple resolve orbs at once. If you're very low on health but have a lot of resolve, mash the down d-pad and it'll use multiples in one burst without having to wait. You also can use resolve and fiddle with your equipped ninjitsu during special moves where you don't have control, or those sword-locking animations with bosses.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Anyone else find combat much more difficult on Kurosawa mode?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MrMojok posted:

Are there beheadings in the game?

Sometimes when you kill an enemy, some of their limbs will be cut off and sent flying. I'm not 100% sure if heads are a part of it, but I've definitely sent arms flying.

E: here is a picture

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

*presses triangle to mount horse*

*accidentally slices horse in half*

:stare:

Oh. Er. Sorry horsey.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

VanillaGorilla posted:

Special moves can dismember and there are scripted beheadings. It's not very common, however.

Shoot I haven’t gotten any special moves yet, tho I’ve seen some on the quest rewards for stuff I didn’t do yet.

Does anyone know if you lose your unfinished side quests if you progress through the story? I’m hoping side quests can be done at any time like right up until the end. I don’t wanna be locked out of anything by progressing the story.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

KonvexKonkav posted:

For those of you just walking into every mongol camp and challenging them, do you play on hard mode? I tried this on hard mode but it usually ends up with me getting curbstomped by the whole camp at the same time afterwards. I think normal mode reduces the number of enemies that attack you at the same time somewhat and it becomes more mangeable. On hard mode however, stealth is much more attractive but maybe I just suck.

The game has a TW3 like difficulty curve where the beginning seems really hard until you get Standoff +2 and the Kunai upgrades, at which point everything suddenly becomes a complete joke and you finish every Mongol camp atop a pile of 12 dead bodies at the main entrance.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh man, I just had a guy in a stronghold give up and yield, I didn't know that could happen. If you take out the leader in front of any mooks they'll recoil like WOAH DID HE JUST KILL OUR BOSS but this time one dude just straight up ran like hell and never came back. Possibly the most intelligent video game enemy I've ever seen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This is one of those games where players instinctively try to dodge a lot but actually if you stand still and just perfect parry everything it's totally valid

Except the unblockable attacks obviously

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Oh man, I just had a guy in a stronghold give up and yield, I didn't know that could happen. If you take out the leader in front of any mooks they'll recoil like WOAH DID HE JUST KILL OUR BOSS but this time one dude just straight up ran like hell and never came back. Possibly the most intelligent video game enemy I've ever seen.

Shoot them in the back like the cowardly dogs they are.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I very much do NOT enjoying parrying in any video game, so the combat was really rough when I started out. After I found/unlocked more upgrades the combat has been a lot smoother, but it's still not quite as fun as single braincell killing machine Kassandra in AC Odyssey for me.

edit: Also gently caress me man you're a legendary warrior or whatever, you should be able to land from way higher without dying. That drives me insane

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Unfortunately I think the perfect parry in this game is a little too weak compared to basically everything else you can do for a much higher risk, even when upgraded. I think was a mistake to have so many attacks appear as unblockables at the start because now you make the player want to dodge + use the literal EZ mode ghost tools that 1-shot everything than play like an honorable warrior, except when that's mandated by the duels.

Also, and this is CRITICAL, the perfect parry sound is not cool enough. Bloodborne, GoW, and Hellblade all absolutely nailed this recently which makes its weak presence here somewhat disappointing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sekiro's CLANG may be the single best sound effect in video games period, barely edging out over resident evil 4's head-explosion sound

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Oxxidation posted:

sekiro's CLANG may be the single best sound effect in video games period, barely edging out over resident evil 4's head-explosion sound

Nope, it's the mikiri counter sound. So satisfying.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Although I agree the perfect parry sound isn't cool enough, the follow-up slashes and death animations are pretty drat good. I also am at that level where I can attack so efficiently I let the animation hang until another mook is close enough to fight, straight up samurai cinema.

And as far as sound effects go, they nailed the sheath - it sounds metal on wood as opposed to metal on metal like a lot of media. Satisfying.

Things:
Shake the sixaxis to do a chibirui (i think that's what it's called) where you shake the blood off the sword
Level up your Ronin gear to unlock every cool straw hat there is

Re: Fall Damage
There's a skill for that, it lets you execute a roll (circle x2) before falling to negate fall damage unless it's a lethal fall as far as I can tell. Like, off the map. Or through geometry you can't scale that you can kinda tell after you play enough video games

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Macaluso posted:

edit: Also gently caress me man you're a legendary warrior or whatever, you should be able to land from way higher without dying. That drives me insane

There’s an upgrade option that helps with this. It’s not just zero fall damage but you get to hit O to roll at the bottom of falls.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Macaluso posted:

Buy the skill that lets you hit the dodge button to roll while landing, you can fall MUCH further without even taking damage if you do the roll.

edit: beat by a full minute. I bring shame to the quickdraw samurai arts.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Also let me say, if they played this a little looser to go with the color palette, I think they could've had a more interesting narrative. Imagine if we had the full Kill Bill spray of blood to go with the movie ninja poo poo and unblockable anime super moves. Play the character a little more like a Yakuza game character... I don't know.
Khan really is good, but I keep waiting for him to go a little more over the top, and it hasn't reached that yet. He's great, though.

Also, biggest lol so far from me:
An archer was shooting me so I climbed a guard tower to fight him because I was out of arrows. I pressed square, and Jin proceeded to launch himself off the tower and do the full Sekiro stealth kill Link-from-Zelda downstab on a baddie way down below in the forest. Cut to immediate cutscene, so immediate it cut off the sound effect of the enemy death, of disappointed Uncle for being a sneaky dipshit. The smash cut was straight up comedy timing

Nobody has gotten any dismemberment right? What about stealth kill through the paper wall? I got a weird stealth kill when I was climbing a tower where the animation was available while climbing - Jin finished the ascent, then took out his katana (not the stealth kill tanto) and did the anime cut-down to him. Was weird.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 18, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Heavenly Strike will dismember arms when it connects.

Assassinating through walls will only trigger after a cutscene late in Act 1, despite the presence of many Mongols standing behind paper thin walls beforehand.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Heavenly Strike will dismember arms when it connects.

Assassinating through walls will only trigger after a cutscene late in Act 1, despite the presence of many Mongols standing behind paper thin walls beforehand.

Speaking of walls, you can standoff with someone on the other side of a wall. In one instance it was an enemy on the other side of a settlement wall, and I teleported to him to fight. I wast even that close to the wall.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I like this game. My perferred method now is softening up a target area with some assassinations along the perimeter, infiltrating, and directly confronting the leader if possible.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

the_enduser posted:

Where was this at? I need all the hats!

Wanderer's Straw Hat location:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hJrPWIe3E4

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I very much do NOT enjoying parrying in any video game, so the combat was really rough when I started out. After I found/unlocked more upgrades the combat has been a lot smoother, but it's still not quite as fun as single braincell killing machine Kassandra in AC Odyssey for me.

It's magical realism and unfortunately the fall damage is just realistic.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
If you get the roll while landing to negate fall damage technique, you can jump off a cliff and be fine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Game’s pretty

https://twitter.com/jacsnoodleboy/status/1284537038360977409?s=21

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
love to ride through fields

these dudes all got a death wish

guess i'll write haiku

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

drat i gotta get me a hat

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I just got an interesting bug happen where I pulled up on some mongols already engaged with another samurai, challenged them and then stood holding triangle for like 10 seconds until i was like ok uh gently caress it and released it only to swipe at a dead guy lying prone on the ground. Cue me for the next 4 minutes trying to break the sequence somehow and return to the normal scenario only to watch my character continue to swipe at the dead guy on the ground and stumble around in and out of the frame like some dumbass until I managed to mash buttons and return to the game proper.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought the parry window was too short at first but now I'm into it and parrying fools left and right (literally)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

precision posted:

This is one of those games where players instinctively try to dodge a lot but actually if you stand still and just perfect parry everything it's totally valid

Except the unblockable attacks obviously

Is the reason that dodge and roll are the same button just because you're not supposed to do that and just parry? I suck at parrying.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In my experience the roll isn't useful because it puts you out of reach completely. It's an escape button, not a strafing tool.

The dodge-slash move is good though, not as good as parrying but good

I'm pretty sure parrying is just thoroughly OP

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Might have to turn my difficulty up to "Hard" because goddam, once you get Heavenly Strike it you can just carve your way through dudes. Those giant shield guys aren't even really a threat anymore.

I can see how folks can criticize the game for being very open-world formula, but the world is so cool to run around in I'm not minding at all. It's very, very good at landing the fantasy they're going for - just like Spider-Man, which was also a very formulaic game in many ways.

I think the thing I'm most excited for about this game is...holy poo poo, they're doing this on hardware that is so loving old. I can't wait for October/November because we are going to see some poo poo in the open world genre over the next few years (assuming we all survive) as all hardware shifts over to crazy fast SSD's and capable CPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The one time i fast traveled was to see how fast the loading time was because someone had mentioned they were pretty fast (they are). The rest of my playthrough so far has been riding from place to place and yeah this island is a joy to explore.

I’m glad you can swap gear freely even in combat. I use the traveler’s attire while riding to clear a little more of the fog then switch to something else during combat.