Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1284227700132057090

OP not the idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Skwirl posted:

The twitter stuff is horrible, but that's probably the healthiest way for anyone to use Facebook.

That's true, I'm probably the dickhead for sharing every video of police violence I come across

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Brawnfire posted:

Well I knew my mom was a Trumper but tonight's conversation was the first time I've seen inklings of sympathy for Q Anon.

I sort of raked her over the coals for it and she claimed she didn't care one way other another, was just "mentioning things she'd seen" but I was listening, she was definitely like "some of the times celebrities say 'pizza' just makes no sense..." and I just

I just don't know what to do

And the thing I hate is I can't tell her she's wrong about powerful people sex trafficking, but I have to somehow try to make her realize that being Encyclopedia Brown about covert Twitter posts is a gateway to insanity, not finding windows into a twisted underground.

What do these "suspicious" mentions of pizza that "makes no sense" even look like?

On a whim, I just did a couple quick searches to see if QAnon had any fun theories about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and their famous love of pizza, and didn't find anything. C'mon QAnon, step your game up.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brawnfire posted:

Well I knew my mom was a Trumper but tonight's conversation was the first time I've seen inklings of sympathy for Q Anon.

I sort of raked her over the coals for it and she claimed she didn't care one way other another, was just "mentioning things she'd seen" but I was listening, she was definitely like "some of the times celebrities say 'pizza' just makes no sense..." and I just

I just don't know what to do

And the thing I hate is I can't tell her she's wrong about powerful people sex trafficking, but I have to somehow try to make her realize that being Encyclopedia Brown about covert Twitter posts is a gateway to insanity, not finding windows into a twisted underground.
you can try to convince her qanon and pizzagate are controlled opposition by the CIA to stop people from investigating the real poo poo

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The first post is 100% to rile up the base and get people to conclude "masks don't work". The second, separate followup post is so when people attack him for obviously implying that, he can point to something none of the base read as a shield.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/kittynouveau/status/1284318448282214401

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dr Christmas posted:

What do these "suspicious" mentions of pizza that "makes no sense" even look like?

Here’s a montage from an insane person

https://twitter.com/cogentmatyi/status/1284262386552250375?s=21

I like the ‘brad Pitt gave us pizza’ one because Qs were going crazy about what it could possibly mean and how it could implement them both. Then someone found a photo from an award ceremony on the same day as her tweet of her and Brad Pitt eating a slice of pizza together.

The fun thing about the Q nonsense is it all got completely debunked years ago, when someone dug up a book called Q which was literally about how to go about with controlling people in this exact manner. And the Qs just blinked and kept going regardless.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

This is the hilarious bit, she's so bad at making her own case. It was like

Her: Some of these people use the word "pizza" in ways that make no sense"
Me: Such as?
Her: One was like "I woke up with pizza on my chest," what does that mean?
Me: That she was probably eating pizza and fell asleep
Her: Sure but why would you tweet about that haha
Me: ...to seem relatable, because it seemed funny, because it was a weird human moment?
Her: It just seems weird
Me: Not to me, if you're a celebrity Twitter is used to try to make yourself seem personable, and people tell stories about dumb gross poo poo they do to achieve that.

And that's about the time I informed her it's pretty hypocritical to deep-dive people's posts to imply they're a secret pedophile after whining a racist was cancelled for saying publicly racist things, in public, at their job, at a place that doesn't want to have a racist saying racist things publicly.

Edit: Yeah, it was the Chrissy Tiegen stuff but drat some of those other ones are kind of hosed up sounding, so that doesn't help either...

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Toddlers & Tiaras was super hosed up

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Toddlers & Tiaras was super hosed up

Is "Toddler" code for pizza, or is it "Tiara"?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Is the dude anti-mask or something? Seems like he's just trying to encourage people to self-isolate with a positive message.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

BrigadierSensible posted:

Is "Toddler" code for pizza, or is it "Tiara"?

is this an attempted joke or are you legit asking

Cat Potency
Aug 13, 2006

Chairman Meow
r/conspiracy is RIFE with screenshot compilations of tasteless tweets at the moment. I've seen lots of years-old Chrissy Teagan and Sarah Silverman tweet jokes being flaunted as "proof" of their complicity in The International Celebrity Global Pedophilia Corporation. I think they're trying to salvage some kind of smoke from the Wayfair debacle in order to save face.

Anyway, I touched the poop on facebook tonight. 'Red', a staunch libertarian, was spouting off about Portland. Pisses me off when libertarians post all day about the tyranny of masks but gleefully defend police brutality. I had to laugh out loud when I read the last underlined bit.

Cat Potency has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Jul 18, 2020

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

The phrasing may be a little corny, but hot drat is "I love my friends and want them to be safe" not nearly the worst take to come out of 2020.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

wizzardstaff posted:

The phrasing may be a little corny, but hot drat is "I love my friends and want them to be safe" not nearly the worst take to come out of 2020.

Hate to say it but this is from an unironic Confederate flag dude.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Cat Potency posted:

r/conspiracy is RIFE with screenshot compilations of tasteless tweets at the moment. I've seen lots of years-old Chrissy Teagan and Sarah Silverman tweet jokes being flouted as "proof" of their complicity in The International Celebrity Global Pedophilia Corporation. I think they're trying to salvage some kind of smoke from the Wayfair debacle in order to save face.

Anyway, I touched the poop on facebook tonight. 'Red', a staunch libertarian, was spouting off about Portland. Pisses me off when libertarians post all day about the tyranny of masks but gleefully defend police brutality. I had to laugh out loud when I read the last underlined bit.

quote:

The Tea Party was known for its extraordinarily lawful and orderly protests

The Tea Party is literally one of the most famous unlawful disorderly protests in American history.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Who is the guy in the meme, though? If I'm supposed to share this as if it's from me to my loved ones, is that dude meant to be me? I don't look like that...

*hesitantly turns off monitor*

...oh... oh god. Oh CHRIST

Cat Potency
Aug 13, 2006

Chairman Meow

wizzardstaff posted:

The Tea Party is literally one of the most famous unlawful disorderly protests in American history.

Wrong! Cliven Bundy was a Free Man of the Land!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

chitoryu12 posted:

Hate to say it but this is from an unironic Confederate flag dude.

And you didn't mention this originally because?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

is this an attempted joke or are you legit asking

Twas a bad joke about the Qanon nutjobs seeing any mention of pizza being evidence of child sex trafficking.

The joke was that perhaps the legitimately creepy and bad show Toddlers and Tiaras was perhaps code and was really about pizza.

Sorry.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

nah it's cool i'm running on like 2 hours of sleep

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

The twitter stuff is horrible, but that's probably the healthiest way for anyone to use Facebook.

I recently purged my FB of every page and group that I had ever liked or joined.
Now my feed is a lot quieter, but I also actually see posts from my friends and it feels like it did back in 2007. I hadn't realised how bad it had got until my partner noticed that my feed hardly had any actual Friend posts on it. Now it doesn't feel quite as crowded and attention seeking. I would definitely recommend doing it.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

EL BROMANCE posted:

The fun thing about the Q nonsense is it all got completely debunked years ago, when someone dug up a book called Q which was literally about how to go about with controlling people in this exact manner. And the Qs just blinked and kept going regardless.

What?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Buzzfeed did an okay job covering it even if there aren't too many details, the book stuff starts halfway down.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanhatesthis/its-looking-extremely-likely-that-qanon-is-probably-a

TLDR: Some Italians leftists and anarchists put out a book called Q in 1999 that involved a shadowy figure that sends communications from a secret powerful group and signs them Q. They noted that it was only really popular in small activist circles in the US so they think some leftist was pranking 4chan.

I'm not sure I buy it since there are other possibilities that are just as likely and dumb. I think a random QAnon commenting right-wing streamer got caught accidentally using the tripcode at one point, even if they might have been able to explain it away, and someone else came forward and said it was just supposed to be a little morale booster for Trump people that got out hand. But Q has obviously changed a few times just judging by the writing style, so who even knows now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MizPiz posted:

Is it just me, or do modern FMV games seem bigoted in someway or another? It's not like their all overtly racist or misogynist, it's more like the devs think whatever hang up they have with women or minorities is "worth exploring artistically" without actually questioning it.
I think it's just that the game parts of FMV games are much easier to make than other kinds of games and the movie parts are much cheaper and easier than real movies, so weirdos with ideas they desperately want people to hear can make them even if they don't have the skills or resources for other formats.

chitoryu12 posted:

I read his book, True Allegiance. Dude's a loving idiot but the book is hilarious if you imagine all the questionable gore (a guy shot in the jaw who has his helmet pop off with brains flying in the air) and the militia who disguise themselves as white supremacists and then get mad when they're called white supremacists by the media all narrated in his voice.
For, like, half a second I thought "hbomberguy wrote a book?"

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MizPiz posted:

modern FMV games
This phrase breaks my brain as I cannot conceive of an FMV game being created in this decade.

Unrelatedly, there are some posts in this thread that keep making me black out for a few minutes at a time. Not sure what they're about, but could yall dial that down?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tiggum posted:

I think it's just that the game parts of FMV games are much easier to make than other kinds of games and the movie parts are much cheaper and easier than real movies, so weirdos with ideas they desperately want people to hear can make them even if they don't have the skills or resources for other formats.

There's also that the one 'big guy' in FMV games, Sam Barlowe, is the weird kind of 'covert, possibly-unaware misogynist' where everything he makes just happens to have women who all fit the same negative stereotype (specifically, it's deceitful women with him). So not only does the genre tend to gather people with weird views, and not only is that particular weird view fairly commonplace in general, but the one guy that people tend to point at as 'see, this genre can be taken seriously' also shares that particular weird view.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Elysiume posted:

This phrase breaks my brain as I cannot conceive of an FMV game being created in this decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3FnG6JqOMw

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

https://twitter.com/BostonPatrolmen/status/1284208409148035077

Thank you for your example of what disingenuous looks like.

“In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.”

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Buzzfeed did an okay job covering it even if there aren't too many details, the book stuff starts halfway down.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanhatesthis/its-looking-extremely-likely-that-qanon-is-probably-a

TLDR: Some Italians leftists and anarchists put out a book called Q in 1999 that involved a shadowy figure that sends communications from a secret powerful group and signs them Q. They noted that it was only really popular in small activist circles in the US so they think some leftist was pranking 4chan.

I'm not sure I buy it since there are other possibilities that are just as likely and dumb. I think a random QAnon commenting right-wing streamer got caught accidentally using the tripcode at one point, even if they might have been able to explain it away, and someone else came forward and said it was just supposed to be a little morale booster for Trump people that got out hand. But Q has obviously changed a few times just judging by the writing style, so who even knows now.

I can’t remember the specifics or find it amongst all the qanon poo poo on the internet these days but early on when it was just “Q” I remember there was some YouTube conspiracy guy who was pushing Q hard. He was streaming and accidentally bought up either a document or browser window with the 4chan trip and/or posts, something like that, which he quickly hid and played on like it never happened. I think he was also the first one selling Q related poo poo so it all seemed like it was just a grift before it became the current day car crash.

*I’m possibly misremembering this because I’m running on very little sleep but I don’t think I entirely dreamed it.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

DRINK ME posted:

I can’t remember the specifics or find it amongst all the qanon poo poo on the internet these days but early on when it was just “Q” I remember there was some YouTube conspiracy guy who was pushing Q hard. He was streaming and accidentally bought up either a document or browser window with the 4chan trip and/or posts, something like that, which he quickly hid and played on like it never happened. I think he was also the first one selling Q related poo poo so it all seemed like it was just a grift before it became the current day car crash.

*I’m possibly misremembering this because I’m running on very little sleep but I don’t think I entirely dreamed it.

There was definitely something that came out early on that made it clear it all started as a grift. Of course to every Qanon type anything that suggests they might not be 100% correct in their views is part of the vast wide reaching conspiracy so it was ignored by them.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Cleretic posted:

There's also that the one 'big guy' in FMV games, Sam Barlowe, is the weird kind of 'covert, possibly-unaware misogynist' where everything he makes just happens to have women who all fit the same negative stereotype (specifically, it's deceitful women with him). So not only does the genre tend to gather people with weird views, and not only is that particular weird view fairly commonplace in general, but the one guy that people tend to point at as 'see, this genre can be taken seriously' also shares that particular weird view.

Now I kind of want to see The Room-era Tommy Wiseau make an FMV game, for whatever reason.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Regalingualius posted:

Now I kind of want to see The Room-era Tommy Wiseau make an FMV game, for whatever reason.

That’s just Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://twitter.com/LostHers/status/1284238102777798659?s=20

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I don't know what this means. what are massive industries

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mlnhd posted:

I don't know what this means. what are massive industries

Remember how the forums poo poo the bed for about 15 minutes last night because Cloudflare was having issues? This person on Twitter was posting that it was a massive security breach across a bunch of different services but it was just Cloudflare having problems

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i thought Q got its name from q codes, a vocab term used by the CIA.

which they likely got from either watching the area 51 Archer episode or from reading Tom Clancy novels.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Regalingualius posted:

Not fully FMV but you need to check out The Quiet Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

i thought Q got its name from q codes, a vocab term used by the CIA.

which they likely got from either watching the area 51 Archer episode or from reading Tom Clancy novels.

I'm pretty sure it refers to "Q clearance", which is a a clearance level in the Department of Energy or something