Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

MrMojok posted:

About this poo poo in Portland... I guess Barr and cronies have scoured the books trying to figure out how to make snatching people off the streets and throwing them into unmarked vehicles, as "legal" as possible, and what they've come up with is some kind of perversion of law to ostensibly defend "federal sites" using ICE and border patrol, services closely aligned with his ideological... uhh... thinking?

And it does seem pretty clear that Portland is a testing ground to see how people react, and to see how Oregon fares with legal challenges on this, or something like that. Trump must be thinking that if he can do this all over the place and incite violent response, rioting, etc., that maybe it will win him some votes, or something insane like that?

Or is he thinking that by provoking enought civil unrest, he can postpone the election? He can't, but we have already witnessed several instances of Trump thinking he can do things, that he can't. Impossible to know what goes on in his smooth, walnut-sized brain.

It is more than a little scary, though.

There is no 4 dimensional chess going on, it's literally just "they're opposing me, arrest them".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Very cool to see American Gestapo in my lifetime and for it not to be an exaggeration.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Donald once again proves that he's the biggest little whiny, petulant, petty piece of poo poo.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/17/politics/white-house-portraits-clinton-bush-trump/index.html

White House portraits of Bill Clinton and George W. Bush moved from prominent space to rarely used room

quote:

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The official portraits of former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush were removed from the Grand Foyer of the White House within the last week, aides told CNN, and replaced by those of two Republican presidents who served more than a century ago.

White House tradition calls for portraits of the most recent American presidents to be given the most prominent placement, in the entrance of the executive mansion, visible to guests during official events.

That was the case through at least July 8, when President Donald Trump welcomed Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador. The two stood in the Cross Hall of the White House and made remarks, with the portraits of Clinton and Bush essentially looking on as they had been throughout Trump's first term.

But in the days after after that, the Clinton and Bush portraits were moved into the Old Family Dining Room, a small, rarely used room that is not seen by most visitors.

That places the paintings well outside of Trump's vantage point in the White House. In their previous location, the pictures would have been seen daily as Trump descends the staircase from his third floor private residence or when he hosts events on the state floor of the White House. Now, they hang in a space used mainly for storing unused tablecloths and furniture.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The portrait of former President Barack Obama is not expected to be unveiled for a formal ceremony during Trump's first term, a sign of the bitter relationship between the 44th and 45th presidents. Trump has accused Obama of unsubstantiated and unspecified crimes, and has questioned whether Obama was born in the US for years.

Trump has -- less frequently -- similarly disparaged Bush and Clinton. In his book, former Trump national security adviser John Bolton wrote Trump "despised" both Bush presidents, and people familiar with the conversations say Trump has lambasted George W. Bush as "stupid." Trump has similarly castigated Clinton, the husband of his 2016 presidential rival, Hillary Clinton, and suggested he was a bad president.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Can't wait for the Nazi Nation to wake up and crow about this

Arcella posted:

Very cool to see American Gestapo in my lifetime and for it not to be an exaggeration.

It wasn't an exaggeration before either

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hexyflexy posted:

That was very interesting, depressing, and matches up with a lot of what I've observed over my life. Well worth a read.

What exactly was very depressing about this piece? I'm not American, so I'd be very interested in your perspective on this.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Milo and POTUS posted:

It wasn't an exaggeration before either
It was if you're white.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

That was even quicker than I thought it would be.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1284440763837939712?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Missouri loves company.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

oh my god these idiots that did the twitter hack are talking to the media

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/technology/twitter-hackers-interview.html

quote:

The interviews indicate that the attack was not the work of a single country like Russia or a sophisticated group of hackers. Instead, it was done by a group of young people — one of whom says he lives at home with his mother — who got to know one another because of their obsession with owning early or unusual screen names, particularly one letter or number, like @y or @6.

@fart gonna get gulaged

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've already worked this into a lecture slide for my pseudoscience course this spring (if I am employed)

https://twitter.com/andishehnouraee/status/1284237474831761408?s=20

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bored As gently caress posted:

Donald once again proves that he's the biggest little whiny, petulant, petty piece of poo poo.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/17/politics/white-house-portraits-clinton-bush-trump/index.html

White House portraits of Bill Clinton and George W. Bush moved from prominent space to rarely used room

quote:

The Bush portrait has been replaced by that of William McKinley, the nation's 25th president, who was assassinated in 1901, and the Clinton portrait has been replaced by one of Theodore Roosevelt, who succeeded McKinley, three people who have seen the portraits this week tell CNN.
Trump has shown more of an affinity for those predecessors than his more recent ones.

There are some highly inappropriate remarks to make here.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

That Works posted:

I've already worked this into a lecture slide for my pseudoscience course this spring (if I am employed)

https://twitter.com/andishehnouraee/status/1284237474831761408?s=20

Even the original one seems like it's being...I guess you could say, gerrymandered, into looking innocuous as possible. Those are some incredibly arbitrary cutoffs between the color shades - 620? 1070? 1622?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That is truly impressive but still not even close to the time series they put out a few weeks ago with an inverted Y-axis

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Porfiriato posted:

Even the original one seems like it's being...I guess you could say, gerrymandered, into looking innocuous as possible. Those are some incredibly arbitrary cutoffs between the color shades - 620? 1070? 1622?

Yup. It uses a continuous color gradient then flips to red above the arbitrary cutoff making it look like theres only specific hot spots instead of poo poo getting higher and higher leading up to the red etc.

If I had to design something to minimize how you would interpret an obvious dataset I'd have done nearly this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stultus Maximus posted:

Forty‐five should keep a teleprompter in his breast pocket?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Porfiriato posted:

That was even quicker than I thought it would be.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1284440763837939712?s=20

Well at least Jackson county has a mask order in effect.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Stultus Maximus posted:

I feel pretty strongly that Roosevelt would despise Trump for being a dodge drafter alone and then you could just start adding up stuff after that.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely.

Whatever you want to say about T. Roosevelt, he was a man of action.

Trump is like the opposite of that. Whatever adsorbs action like a black hole, that’s what Trump is.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Flikken posted:

Well at least Jackson county has a mask order in effect.

Does anyone enforce these orders?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Thwomp posted:

Absolutely.

Whatever you want to say about T. Roosevelt, he was a man of action.

Trump is like the opposite of that. Whatever adsorbs action like a black hole, that’s what Trump is.

An Office meeting.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The movie version of quicksand?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Donnie ain't no fuckin Bull Moose.

You can say a lot of things about Teddy. Horribly racist, expansionist, warmonger...but a coward he was not.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
A fat sack of poo poo dyed orange.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Stultus Maximus posted:

Does anyone enforce these orders?

Lots of places are booting you if you aren't wearing one

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Donnie ain't no fuckin Bull Moose.

You can say a lot of things about Teddy. Horribly racist, expansionist, warmonger...but a coward he was not.

Dude wore a monocle because he was a fan of bare knuckle boxing, and got his retina detached one day after entering the ring. He was a loving scrapper, at every level :v:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Icon Of Sin posted:

Dude wore a monocle because he was a fan of bare knuckle boxing, and got his retina detached one day after entering the ring. He was a loving scrapper, at every level :v:

Also, he got shot in the chest while giving a speech, then finished the speech before getting it looked at. He was fine.

Although honestly the most violent president was probably Andrew Jackson.

Someone pulls a revolver and tries to shoot him? Not only does it misfire, Jackson starts beating the poor bastard half to death with his cane.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Icon Of Sin posted:

For a near sighted asthmatic he was a hard man.

Invaded Cuba with like 8 sets of extra glasses.

His son getting killed in WW1 totally broke him though.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

A fat sack of poo poo dyed orange.

A turd with hair

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Flikken posted:

Lots of places are booting you if you aren't wearing one

I meant from the government. My city has a mask order but plenty of businesses don't give a poo poo.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The region I live in currently has relaxed restrictions as long as the 7-day-rolling average stays below 35 new infections per 100,000 residents, most other states in Germany have that threshold at 50. That means we get to go to work with localized restrictions like masks and social distancing. It also means that all the people that don't have the privilege of working from home get to work with similar containment measures in place.

Increased restrictions go into effect once we go above that number of 35 new infections.

There are currently two "counties" in Germany that are above the 50 new-infection-threshold that "suffer" from increased regulations.

On the first of July, America had more than ONE THOUSAND counties well above that threshold.

https://twitter.com/stejormur/status/1278366130009186305

And that was more than two weeks ago, before the spike really kicked in. Jesus Christ.

:ohno:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Thanks for the reminder that America has Big Number while other countries have Low Number.

Sorry if I seem cranky but we're suffering and dying from a pandemic that is going almost completely uncontrolled in our country so forgive me for reacting like a Syrian schoolchild being told that American schools have Coke Freestyle machines.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 18, 2020

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Lol the USA loving SUCKS. Our ravenous horde of larping conservative shitpumps are going to drag the standing world hegemon down into the dumpster fire of history

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

And that was more than two weeks ago, before the spike really kicked in. Jesus Christ.

My favorite story along these lines is that Israel freaked out and shut down their schools after their country spiked to... 1929 in a day. That's like a fifth of Florida and DeSantis is keeping everything open.

Even our well-managed state is averaging about 600/day and poo poo is getting worse. Other countries are freaking out if they hit 150!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grip it and rip it posted:

Lol the USA loving SUCKS. Our ravenous horde of larping conservative shitpumps are going to drag the standing world hegemon down into the dumpster fire of history

The rising seas will put out the fires you chowderhead

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The region I live in currently has relaxed restrictions as long as the 7-day-rolling average stays below 35 new infections per 100,000 residents, most other states in Germany have that threshold at 50. That means we get to go to work with localized restrictions like masks and social distancing. It also means that all the people that don't have the privilege of working from home get to work with similar containment measures in place.

Increased restrictions go into effect once we go above that number of 35 new infections.

There are currently two "counties" in Germany that are above the 50 new-infection-threshold that "suffer" from increased regulations.

On the first of July, America had more than ONE THOUSAND counties well above that threshold.

https://twitter.com/stejormur/status/1278366130009186305

I don't know what your intent with this post is but it comes across as extremely lovely. We know that things suck here.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grip it and rip it posted:

This is going to be looked back on as the event where the US permanently ceded its overall global dominance to China.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't know what your intent with this post is but it comes across as extremely lovely. We know that things suck here.

i think they're trying to explain it to other non-usians, and giving voice to their own horror, and i don't think either of those intentions are bad

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

fuckin RIP Arizona holy smokes

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nude ANTIFA commando is the superhero we never knew we needed. Mildly :nws: https://twitter.com/donovanfarley/status/1284410621283328000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Rumors coming in that a second LHD has hit the building.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Just heard thirdhand that a global stop work has been issued to NASSCO because the Kearsarge is on fire in a Norfolk availability.