Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/alteredbits/status/1283883321609670656?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I bet Lorac doesn't even exist.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Trevor Hale posted:

There’s an episode of Rockford Files that I love because there’s a scene where Rockford follows someone in his car for three minutes. A wordless, 3-minute driving scene.

Try imagining that in any show today.
Episode 24 of Neon Genesis Evangelion had just a single frame for two minutes of intense classical music. That's because Gainax ran out of money.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CannonFodder posted:

Episode 24 of Neon Genesis Evangelion had just a single frame for two minutes of intense classical music. That's because Gainax ran out of money.

It wasn't super out of place in anime of that era though

Evangelion frequently had pictures of a building with bugs chirping for at least 30 seconds and poo poo like that. Sometimes they even panned a bit!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The Bloop posted:

Every movie takes place in a society

Curious

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Evangelion frequently had pictures of a building with bugs chirping for at least 30 seconds and poo poo like that. Sometimes they even panned a bit!

Yeah, for another example the original Ghost in the Shell movie is downright famous for having a three-minute sequence that's entirely cityscape shots and soundtrack.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

LifeSunDeath posted:

Oof, Johnny Bravo was a sex-pest.

Just when I thought "sex pest" couldn't become any more meaningless of a term someone had to use it to describe a cartoon parody of toxic masculinity.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Now Pepe le Pew. That dude was a sex pest.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Now Pepe le Pew. That dude was a sex pest.

Just when I thought "sex pest" couldn't become any more meaningless of a term someone had to use it to describe a cartoon parody of toxic masculinity.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, for another example the original Ghost in the Shell movie is downright famous for having a three-minute sequence that's entirely cityscape shots and soundtrack.

But that was the best part!

https://youtu.be/ARTLckN9e7I

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Perestroika posted:

To be fair it's not an Oshii movie if it doesn't do something like this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Bloop posted:

I remember it was super common for anime dubs of the 90s and 00s to add dialogue over sequences like that and pretty much any moment there wasn't someone talking.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I mean, this is basically Johnny Bravo, he's described as much in the pilot episode iirc. Though like many cartoon characters, his personality varies a lot. Though I joked, canonically it's implied he isn't a virgin, and he does get along well with women when he acts like a normal human being for five minutes. (Though the other joke goes that he has absolutely no idea what to do when he actually gets a woman into the bedroom)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember it was super common for anime dubs of the 90s and 00s to add dialogue over sequences like that and pretty much any moment there wasn't someone talking.

I mean, this is basically Johnny Bravo, he's described as much in the pilot episode iirc. Though like many cartoon characters, his personality varies a lot. Though I joked, canonically it's implied he isn't a virgin, and he does get along well with women when he acts like a normal human being for five minutes. (Though the other joke goes that he has absolutely no idea what to do when he actually gets a woman into the bedroom)

only watched the show in passing when it was new, actually didn't remember him being such a creep...but then someone had to go and try and dunk on me for it...anyway, that's life on the big forums.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sanford posted:

Could you explain this a bit more for someone who likes films but doesn’t know how they work? In what way did they change?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBKmmNEEBM4

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just Offscreen posted:

Jesus Christ that episode was fantasic and deeply uncomfortable.

25 years later they made a Black Mirror episode out of it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You want to talk about movies? How about the greatest film series of all time?

Episode 2 memes coming soon

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

starwars memes are far better than starwars.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Sorry to bring sincerity into the thread, but I am absolutely thrilled that someone else remembers this movie!

Many years ago I bought a mini-poster from the original run in Mexican theatres and still have it on a shelf in my home office:

Because, per usual, I'm a massive dork.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Trabant posted:

Sorry to bring sincerity into the thread, but I am absolutely thrilled that someone else remembers this movie!

Many years ago I bought a mini-poster from the original run in Mexican theatres and still have it on a shelf in my home office:

It’s on Criterion streaming right now

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Also surprisingly accurate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3XR9VNcaxA

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Trabant posted:

Doubly not important, unless someone knows of some "Morrissey is a racist boomer" memes, but for some drat reason it's stuck in my head that Alain Delon is the guy on the cover of "The Queen is Dead."

Ahhh there it is

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Tony Phillips posted:

Doubly not important, unless someone knows of some "Morrissey is a racist boomer" memes, but for some drat reason it's stuck in my head that Alain Delon is the guy on the cover of "The Queen is Dead."

Ahhh there it is

Seeing Morrissey become a chud was pretty gut wrenching tbh.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Trevor Hale posted:

It’s on Criterion streaming right now

Good to know, thanks! Although I do have it on DVD.

Ain't got no DVD player though :thunk:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

LifeSunDeath posted:

Seeing Morrissey become a chud was pretty gut wrenching tbh.

He was always a knob.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Trabant posted:

Good to know, thanks! Although I do have it on DVD.

Ain't got no DVD player though :thunk:

https://youtu.be/hwv9ApMMPJE

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

LifeSunDeath posted:

only watched the show in passing when it was new, actually didn't remember him being such a creep...but then someone had to go and try and dunk on me for it...anyway, that's life on the big forums.

Forget it, LifeSunDeath. It’s forums.somethingawful.com.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
I hate to extend another classic meme thread derail but Mr. Robot had a whole 1 hour episode where they only said a few words at the very start and end. It's a great show and I'm really surprised that it wasn't more popular.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Home Movies remains one of my favourite television shows ever. It used to be streaming on Hulu, but I have no idea where it went now.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
HBO Max got it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Steve Holt! posted:

I hate to extend another classic meme thread derail but Mr. Robot had a whole 1 hour episode where they only said a few words at the very start and end. It's a great show and I'm really surprised that it wasn't more popular.

The scene in The Wire where they say nothing but variations on the word "gently caress" for like three minutes straight, well, it certainly demonstrates the diversity of the word.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Adult Swim and Cartoon Network are owned by Warner.

Warner and HBO are under the HBO Max umbrella.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Oh gently caress this is good.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Holy poo poo, flawless

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The bojack horseman episode that took place entirely underwater where there was no words pretty much the entire time was pretty great.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Johnny Bravo isn't a virgin because he had sex with the deer he met on online dating.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I get the gist but could I bother someone for a full translation?

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Vanadium posted:

I get the gist but could I bother someone for a full translation?

You mean it’s all Greek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Nevermind, I figured out how to type words into google translate. I would not have guessed περιμενετε.