Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I know double posting is in poor taste, but I wanted to separate the cigar I'm smoking from that: Alec Bradley Magic Toast Toro.

It's fine. Toasty, sweet, mellow. Mild/medium and not very complex. It smells a lot better than it smokes, imo. I'm not a huge fan of Alec Bradleys, and the whole time I was smoking it, I wished it had been a Nica Rustica instead - hits the same notes but better in most ways. Surrogates Cracker Crumbs also hit the toasty/sweet profile for me, but with a bit more punch and pepper. If you like those toasty & sweet profiles but want to give your palate a break or just plain old want something a little easier, it's a good buy. Just not really for me.

E: a shameful, shameful snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

Hell yeah for spicy smokes! I'm a big big fan.

If I can take a sec to share some experience for folks willing to dive in to Habanos, I hope this can save some time/confusion/headache:

Global demand for Habanos exceeds production capacity. I've heard a bunch of rumors about how this impacts the nitty gritty of manufacturing, but there are a few "for sure" things that should be known:

1) Because of this demand, cigars don't get their traditional "rest" period after being wrapped. Cigars are live cultures, and this rest period is so the fermentation can continue its work. If you have a smoke that tastes like ammonia or has a super effervescent sharpness to it, it's a sign that it needs to rest. The important take-away is that if you get a box, check the code on the bottom. It'll have a date format on there, make sure it's at least 1 year old, preferably 2.

2) This demand impacts QA, if you don't have a PerfecDraw, get one. Some boxes are totally fine, some are geficht, and there's no "real" way to know until you're sucking a golfball through a crazy straw. The PerfecDraw pays for itself super quick, even on non-Habanos! Every time I grab a Habano, I make sure I have the PerfecDraw on me.

Regarding which ones to check out, I've kicked around a bunch of marcas and vitolas on a budget. There is definitely a "Cuban profile" and each marca touches it in different ways. Hay, salty/ocean air, light wood, and a mineral flavor are all parts of the terroire of Habanos. If you're balling on a budget, I have a list for you! And luckily these are in lower demand than the big popular ones so your odds of getting a decent box code are somewhat higher:

1) Por Larranaga Montecarlos: These are long, skinny, and are very much a "core" kind of Habano for me - the blend has a similar profile to H. Upmann, Montecristo, and my best recollection of Romeo y Julieta. On the milder side, creamy, and the mineral & salty flavors are very present. If you don't like lanceros or panetelas, though, skip these.

2) H. Upmann Regalias: Similar to above, these are permanent members of my humidor. If you want an entree to the marca, these are purestrain Upmann, and it'll give you an idea of what everything uplabel is. Like the PL Montes, they are creamy & mineral-y, but I remember them being a little more robust in profile.

3) Jose L. Piedra Cazadores: Don't get the smaller ones. These are mixed filler (long & short filler) and cheaper than a date with me. The filler construction also means that they burn faster than an equivalently sized long filler. With that out of the way, they punch way above their price point. Creamy, smooth, and mild they're kind of a diet Romeo y Julieta. I try to keep a 5x5 of these in my humidor because friends love smoking a Cuban, and you don't have to worry about throwing money away for a fun experience for a friend. I like these especially for not knowing what I feel like smoking because I know it'll be a good time. Use a punch if you can.

4) Ramon Allones Small Club Corona: Petite coronas have a special place in my heart, but these are worth every puff. If you want to see what the spicier side of Cubans is like without shelling out, these are a great way to start. Another member of the marca, Ramon Allones Special Select are the big brother and a ton of folks like having them in the humidor. If you overall like the direction, Partagas & Bolivar are good ones to try experimenting with. Bolivar #2s en tubos are favorites of mine.

Edit 5) Quintero y Hermano[/]: This is a great, mellow, medium body mixed filler cigar. It piques into spicier territory from puff to puff, and construction issues require a PerfecDraw, but goddamn am I enjoying the one I'm smoking this instant. Incredibly cheap, very yummy. Peanut butter, pear, wood, ocean air.

There are oodles of good ones to check out if you're willing to hit the $7+/stick range, but these guys should all be doable at $5/stick or less. There are a ton of samplers, too, that are very much worth checking out! Especially if you can find a coronas sampler, it should be a super good shot.

[b]A quick word on custom rolls:
tons of places have these and I generally regard them as fun experiments. There aren't really any good ways to determine if they are actually made in Cuba. If you're super into "Cubans" over a good cigar, just save your energy for something worth being a dork about.

I hope that's helpful! Can't wait to hear everyone's expeditions into Habanos-land.

Quoting you because of the snipe / this is good info.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I want to constantly post in here because cigars are a new hobby for me so I’m still super into it but have very little to contribute. With that in mind, enjoy a long rambling post about my experiences so far!

Most recently I smoked an Alec Bradley Mundial which I thought was decent to good, Don Pepin Garcia Black which was interesting and had moments where I loved it, and a Partagas Robusto which was sort of meh the whole way through. I’ve gotten less attentive to recording what cigars I’ve smoked and I know I’m missing some which is now a weird brain itch I need to resolve.

I mostly buy samplers, and sometimes I’ll buy a repeat if I really liked all the cigars or if it seems like a steal, so I’ve temporarily organized my cigars into “I’ve smoked this before” or “I haven’t smoked this” to make it easier to find a new cigar to try. I also have a smaller Tupperware I jammed all my Oliva and Perdomo into. How do you guys typically categorize/organize your cigars?

On the sampler/lower end cigar side of things Perdomo followed by Oliva are my current favorite brands. I have been looking for cigars I can get for ~$3 because I’m new and want to try a lot of cigars before I start going into the higher end stuff. I’ve ended up with quite a bit of both which is why they got their own box. Rocky Patel has been a disappointment in this regard, to me. The Vintage 1990 and 1999 are good and I did enjoy the 2006 but the rest of the Vintage series and Decade, 15th anniversary, Royale, Rosado, etc. have been underwhelming. I have a The Edge sampler coming so this will be Rocky’s last ride (at least on the budget end).

Brands that have been hit or miss for me are Espinosa/601, Gran Habano, La Aurora, Camacho, and Alec Bradley.

My least favorite brands are CAO, anything by J Fuego, and honestly most of the RyJ I’ve tried (their low end and exclusives for Famous Smoke).

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I definitely know the feeling about posting. The best excuse to post is to talk about whatever cigar you've just smoked, lol. Also, in terms of keeping track of what you like, I have a spreadsheet. I record the brand, the specific cigar, the shape, the band, the length, the origin, the wrapper, binder, and filler. Then I give a 1-10 rating, and add notes on the experience. It seems a little ridiculous, but it has seriously helped me keep track of the things I've really enjoyed. I have a second sheet on the spreadsheet where I keep track of what's in my humidor, tracking ins and outs so that I know what I've got and whether or not I want to think about re-ordering anything.

That said, I don't have much in the way of organization inside my humidor atm. Especially after the cigar swap my buddies and I did it's a loving mess in there. I think my next move will be to find some modular shelves/stackable trays to put in there to keep things better organized.

One thing I've found over the course of tracking all this is that man, I've never been truly impressed by a Gurkha. I liked their Aged Cabinet Connecticuts, but only when I got them $65 for a 20 pack, rather than at full price. Everything else has been pretty so-so. They mostly taste good when they're smoking right, but it can be such a struggle to get them to smoke right. It's such a contrast to something like My Father, where everything I've tried has been consistently excellent and beautifully constructed.

NewFatMike posted:

Cuban info

This is excellent info, and will be going into the OP. Also now I'm thinking I should get a PerfecDraw. So many accessories!

Kenning fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 13, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Glad to help friendos!

Also, if that method of review sounds nice I put together the quickest possible Google Sheets thing for y'all to make your own copies of to build up a review database.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Bon66x57NTFFD6BGgZHToruVdddg0czMTM-EBw3jBco/edit?usp=sharing

I broke it down so that when you sort through the responses in a spreadsheet or whatever you can add filters and things like that (e.g. I want things that are 4+ in strength or whatever).

Just make sure that when you make a copy, you go to "Responses" and designate a spreadsheet destination.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’ve bought so many samplers I have a stupid stupid amount of cigars so I’ve been trying to lock up the box of duplicates/cigars I’ve smoked so I don’t have to keep opening it and rifling through a bunch of cigars I know I’m not going to smoke.

For tracking purposes I use an app called Cigar Scanner, I’ve just gotten lazy about it. It’s more clicks than something like Excel but it has a journal, favorites, wish list, humidor tracking, and a social feed. A lot of the information about the specific cigars can be wrong (e.g. something listed as a maduro when it’s a natural) and the app can be a little slow sometimes but overall it has all the features I want. You can also access it through a browser on a PC. I sell enterprise software so I’m used to the extra clicks and slow response time hah.

Smoking a La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor right now. It’s really good the draw is just a little tight. I don’t know if it was the coffee I was drinking interacting with it but the first half almost had a berry flavor or something going on. It wasn’t bad though. The second half that has gone away (I also finished the coffee) and it’s really great.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 13, 2020

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
This thread needs more images of smoking goons. I’m atm enjoying an Oliva V.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

C/p from the other thread that I posted in without noticing cause it got bumped:

I smoked a Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary Champagne toro tonight. It was definitely a very relaxing smoke compared to the spice-bombs I had this weekend. Burned nice, well constructed. Creamy taste, with a bit of an almond/marzipan thing going on. I think I might try a smaller size, especially if I can get it for a discount, as a nice cigar to share with people who aren't big smokers, since it was quite pleasant and very mellow. It lasted over an hour, and I think I might have preferred it as like a 30-45 minute smoke, since there wasn't much development.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

I smoked a Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary Champagne toro tonight. It was definitely a very relaxing smoke compared to the spice-bombs I had this weekend. Burned nice, well constructed. Creamy taste, with a bit of an almond/marzipan thing going on. I think I might try a smaller size, especially if I can get it for a discount, as a nice cigar to share with people who aren't big smokers, since it was quite pleasant and very mellow. It lasted over an hour, and I think I might have preferred it as like a 30-45 minute smoke, since there wasn't much development.

I feel exactly the same way and if I have friends over who aren’t into cigars I will give them one as a good “starter” cigar. I bought a little tin of the cigarillo (purito I think Perdomo calls it) size if I want a short mild smoke.

I smoked a Man O’ War Virtue which is an Ecuadorian Connecticut, it was good but I am starting to feel that most Connecticut wrappers are a bit too mild. The Ecuadorian Connecticut wrappers seem to have a bit more spice to them but even that starts to get a little bit boring towards the end of the cigar. My favorite one in recent memory was the Leaf by Oscar Connecticut.

It’s possible I’ve just slagged my taste buds so badly from smoking too many cigars though. My butane finally showed up after being lost in transit for a while so I am now smoking a a second afternoon cigar because I got to test out my table lighter. This time I went with My Father The Judge and I was expecting it to be more intense than it is.

Edit: This review, https://cigardojo.com/2018/03/my-father-the-judge-toro/, sums up exactly how I feel about The Judge after smoking it. Probably my least favorite My Father cigar to date.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 14, 2020

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Trip report: cigar page dot com order

Overall: OK I guess.

I ordered a box of Roma craft cromagnon and a few five packs. The five packs were in their own zip locks with no added humification.

The box was previously opened so they could add a boveda pack that was bone dry by the time it got to me. I'm also pretty sure that this was not the original box that these cigars came in. A 2011 box date doesn't match up with crystal clear cellophane.

Wouldn't surprise me if they switched the boxes to avoid manufacturers marking boxes to catch distributors selling to them in violation of pricing contracts (which is a thing they do I guess?)

I hope they don't suck when I go to try them in about 3 months.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ah, too bad about the packaging. When I got 3 boxes of My Father cigars from them a month or so ago they came in very good condition. I smoked one that night that was fabulous. Hope yours do okay.

Tonight I smoked a Hoyo la Amistad Gold from my AJ Fernandez box press perfecto sampler and hot drat that was an incredible cigar. This one had a fairly loose pull, so I was smoking too hard to start it off. Once I realized that and slowed down a bit it developed this incredible toffee-and-chocolate flavor, with a rich cedar aroma to the smoke. When I pulled there was this amazingly sweet taste to the smoke right on the tip of my tongue, and in the back third there was a sort of toasted coconut/walnut character that came out. It was so good I smoked it down to about a half inch, and only gave up because the ash was getting precarious. I will absolutely be getting more of this cigar. It was ultra-mellow, without any noticeable pepper once I figured out to slow down the smoke a bit, and it stayed lit nicely. Might qualify as another cigar to share with new smokers in the Rothschild size.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Dramatika posted:

Add Fox Cigars to that list in the OP - I just got my first order from them and I'm super impressed.

So I checked out Fox Cigars after seeing this post, and noticed they had Oliva Connecticut Reserve boxes for 35% less than any other site, and free shipping. Ordered on Saturday, they show up Monday with an Oliva Series O and two Series G thrown in as well.

gently caress my wallet.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is it normal to spit while smoking cigars? My cigar smoking friends in college made it sound like it was the normal thing to do, but how the hell does that work when you're smoking inside? They claimed the spit contained tar and it was harmful to swallow it.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I spit when I smoke cigars too, one of the old tinderbox forum threads said it had to do with an allergen within the tobacco.

I normally smoke outside only.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

Is it normal to spit while smoking cigars? My cigar smoking friends in college made it sound like it was the normal thing to do, but how the hell does that work when you're smoking inside? They claimed the spit contained tar and it was harmful to swallow it.

Syrian Lannister posted:

I spit when I smoke cigars too, one of the old tinderbox forum threads said it had to do with an allergen within the tobacco.

I normally smoke outside only.

quoting myself from a page back:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Eat some sugar to help take the edge off your nic-sickness. Nicotine lowers your blood sugar, so having something sugary helps to counteract that. If it's real bad I'll put a spoonful of granulated sugar under my tongue. If just sort of bad / queasy I keep those lovely popsicles that come in plastic tubes that cut your mouth on hand, haha.

If you start to excessively salivate or need to spit a lot, that's the first sign your blood sugar is dropping and is a precursor to the nausea.

Having something sugary with the cigar will curb the salvating / need to spit. Root beer and vanilla cream soda pair excellently with cigars if you are a soda drinker.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Having a Partagas Mille Fleur. What a crackerjack little smoke. The burn wanders a little, but it's not really anything that needs correcting.

Firmly medium body; coffee, cream, wood, earth, nutmeg, and some allspice.

Under $5/stick. Super fantastic! Burns on the quicker side, so under an hour of smoking in it for sure.

Payday was today, gotta figure out what to restock the humidor with :shepspends:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

I know double posting is in poor taste, but I wanted to separate the cigar I'm smoking from that: Alec Bradley Magic Toast Toro.

It's fine. Toasty, sweet, mellow. Mild/medium and not very complex. It smells a lot better than it smokes, imo. I'm not a huge fan of Alec Bradleys, and the whole time I was smoking it, I wished it had been a Nica Rustica instead - hits the same notes but better in most ways. Surrogates Cracker Crumbs also hit the toasty/sweet profile for me, but with a bit more punch and pepper. If you like those toasty & sweet profiles but want to give your palate a break or just plain old want something a little easier, it's a good buy. Just not really for me.

I just smoked a Magic Toast Chunk (4 1/2” x 60) and I completely agree. It smelled better than it tasted and was fine but it didn’t do too much for me. Additionally it has entrenched my dislike of large ring gauge cigars even further. Took forever to get it burning well and the draw was too tight. I probably would have enjoyed this a lot more in a smaller ring gauge.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, it takes a special touch to make the girthy smokes very good to me - the Garcias sure make the list.

Having a Hamlet 25th Anniversary in a corona extra or something. My regular home stop, Up Down Cigar, gets loads of exclusive vitolas and blends. I have similar tastes to one of the owners, so it takes a lot of guesswork out.

They just had a Hamlet event, and ran some special. It was a discounted bundle of these, like a half box of freebies and a free ashtray. I thought the ashtray was going to be crappy and plastic but

https://i.imgur.com/cjmA7fp.jpg

Hamlet is an exquisite craftsman, and a competent blender. After all the super heavy spice bombs and a craving for more Cuban flavors, this is really hitting the spot.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
I have some of Hamlets custom rolls from his time working in Cuba. I should dig into a few of them but they are all huge smokes including his “flying pig” which is supposedly a 3.5 hour smoke.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Holy moly! That's gotta be great. One of the freebies I got from this promo was a culebra - never had one before, so it'll be fun!

Tatuaje Havana VI No. 5s and San Cristobal Revelation Prophets were on the pickup today as well. Not all for me, thankfully!

Hopefully you'll post a trip report on that flying pig if/when you smoke it

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’ve had it for 8 years and I still haven’t smoked it. 3 hours is also kind of hard to come by these days :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Had a Nub Connecticut today. I need to be a bit more aggressive in sparking up my Nubs, cause I've had a couple get a bit of the cone shape in the cherry from not getting fully lit in the middle. Still a great smoke though, overwhelming vanilla custard flavor. They're really doing something right down there. Followed up with the Rocky Patel 1990 maduro perfecto, which remains and excellent, reliable short smoke. The only downside with that one is that the pinched tip makes you sort of work to get it started up, which makes me hesitate to share it with people who aren't regulars. Great flavor though, with loads of smoke.

In terms of long smokes I spent 2.5 hours on a My Father Opulencia. 3.5 hours sounds unbelievable.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

These sticks are dry as hell. I keep my tupperdoor at 65% and it's dropped 3% since I put them in.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, seems like some of the Antillas and Centurions I got need to bed down for a week or two. Cigar maintenance is a funny thing. I think Cigar Page and similar vendors rely so much on fast turnaround and cheaping out on packaging that the smokes aren't all that happy when they arrive.

I'm gonna be ordering those same sticks from Fox Cigar in a month or so to test the hypothesis. Maybe an extra $1/stick is worth the better shipping conditions and samples.

@Kenning, the conical ember was from smoking too fast or too hard, hopefully this will help:

https://tobacconistuniversity.org/faq_smoking_too_hot.php

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

So, I'm aware of the smoking too hot thing, and I've been pretty good at slowing down and letting the cherry catch up on some other cigars. Sometimes though I feel like I'm smoking too hot and I let it cool off a bit and then it feels like I lose all the heat and have to really puff to get it going again, so we get back to smoking too hot. Is this a lighting issue (i.e. I'm not getting an even light to begin with), or should I let it go all the way out and clear off the ash and char and start fresh?

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Dry your sticks out a little before you smoke them. I usually throw whatever in smoking/planning on smoking for the day in a dry cigar box in the AM and smoke it in the evening. Seems to help a little bit but I also keep my sticks a little drier anyway.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

In addition to dry boxing, while smoking I'll frequently take a long, slow exhale out through the cigar then let it rest a minute or two before smoking again.

This can help even out the burn without passing fresh oxygen and fuel to the hottest end parts.

I will also say that Nub hasn't necessarily been my marca of choice for a bad spate of cigars from them, but uhhh there are so many variables that it's hard to pin down hard truths.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’m smoking an AJ Fernandez Indomina and I have to say this is the most pleasant cigar I’ve smoked in a few days. It started off a bit earthy, a little sweet, light note of spices, and caramel. Second half is milk chocolate and coffee with a tiny hint of spice. I’m still smoking it but was so excited I had to come post about.

This is the first Famous Smoke exclusive that seems to be well worth it. You can get them for under $3 a cigar and I might buy a five pack so I can revisit this. If you shop on Famous Smoke or Cigar Auctioneer I would highly recommend checking this out for the price.

I’ve been trying to churn through the lower end sampler cigars I bought because I have a bunch of nicer things coming and I need to free up some space, this was a very pleasant surprise.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I had to pitch an 01 r&j churchill. It was good for about 15 minutes then turned bland as hell. Replaced it with a Diplomatico Espana RE which is better.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Having a Tatuaje Havana VI Verocru. The 4" x 40rg come in 50 cabs and are permanent members of the humidor.

The standard Havana VI blend didn't do much for me, but these guys are great. Devil's Food Cake, red wine, dark chocolate, cereal grains, and salt.

I really ought to pick up a few of the larger vitolas to see how they scale up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Mrenda posted:

Not necessarily for nicotine sickness, although it would work for it, but just as a general accompaniment to cigars, but especially a lot of pipe tobacco I find sugary tea with a bit of milk goes well. Irish/English breakfast tea, one or two teaspoons of sugar to taste, and a drop of milk.

If I'm going to light a pipe tobacco or cigar that I don't already know the flavour of, and so what to pair with it, tea works really well. When you drink it it doesn't add or mount up with the flavours of the tobacco, I feel it almost neutralises them so you get a fresh go at the taste next draw.

Quoting to say that this is an excellent choice. My go-to had been an Old Fashioned with cigars, but I've been having heartburn/not sleeping very well lately so I've not been drinking on weeknights to see if that helps. A simple English breakfast with milk and sugar was an excellent accompaniment with the Rocky 1990 perfecto tonight. Highly recommended for when you're keeping it low key.

Ophidian posted:

Dry your sticks out a little before you smoke them. I usually throw whatever in smoking/planning on smoking for the day in a dry cigar box in the AM and smoke it in the evening. Seems to help a little bit but I also keep my sticks a little drier anyway.

This is a great idea, and I will be putting it into practice tomorrow.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Just smoked a La Aurora 1495 Connecticut which was excellent. Perfect early cigar, mild to medium, the flavor profile didn’t change a ton but one of the more enjoyable Connecticuts I’ve smoked in recent history. The 1495 Brazil was also really good and one of my higher rated cigars in my journal. The original 1495 was a Sumatra and there is also a corojo and a Cameroon version as well but I haven’t tried any of them.

I’d recommend the Brazil and Connecticut for sure. Nothing mind blowing but definitely quality smokes.

Edit: Smoked a Padron 5000 Natural during my work virtual happy hour. Was pretty good, felt like a traditional cigar’s cigar. I’m gonna need you guys to increase the posting so I don’t start having conversations with myself haha.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 17, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Having an Illusione Rothschild, and I'm very, very happy.

I'm also kinda grumbly because my humidor doesn't love getting a bunch of cigars put in it all at once. Quarantine smoking rate (and concomitant restocking) is really throwing the ecosystem out of whack. Now everything kinda needs to bed down.

Guess our house will just buy stuff once a week and put some aside before restocking to give us a few days' grace. Might want to do the same if you're doing a big restocking trip!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

Having an Illusione Rothschild, and I'm very, very happy.

I'm also kinda grumbly because my humidor doesn't love getting a bunch of cigars put in it all at once. Quarantine smoking rate (and concomitant restocking) is really throwing the ecosystem out of whack. Now everything kinda needs to bed down.

Guess our house will just buy stuff once a week and put some aside before restocking to give us a few days' grace. Might want to do the same if you're doing a big restocking trip!

I have a few single cigar bids out on CigarBid including the Illusione Rothschild and the Tatuaje Havana VI Verocru. I keep on the lookout for the cigars from that list you posted in the previous thread.

Speaking of putting a bunch of cigars in all at once I got drunk (really drunk) for the first time in a while and made some terrible CigarAuctioneer decisions. On the positive side most of the cigars were decent but on the negative side I ordered a stupid amount of cigars that I just barely managed to cram into my Tupperware. I got a 10 pack of Flor de las Antillas, 5 pack of Padron 5000, Ashton 5 cigar sampler, Kristoff 8 cigar sampler, a Perdomo sampler with mostly cigars I haven’t tried, Nub 4 cigar sampler, Villiger 5 cigar sampler, and one bad Famous Smoke sampler that’s my only true regret other than the unnecessary amount of cigars.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Kenning posted:

This is a great idea, and I will be putting it into practice tomorrow.

Lol, I did this and when I checked the humidity in my humidor was 67 and out of my humidor it was 77. Whoops.

Flor de las Antillas maduro torpedo tonight. The box press on that cigar makes it intensely elegant and comfortable to hold. Smokes like hell too, rich and spicy.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Smoked a Nub Connecticut (3 3/4” x 58) and it was really good with my coffee. The Nub sampler came with a larger punch meant for wider ring gauges. I prefer a punch to cutters so maybe this will help with my dislike of large ring gauge cigars.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

It is probably just me but the two master blends 3 robustos I've smoked (the second an hour ago) have kicked my rear end. Even after a full meal I start to really feel it halfway through.

Nap time is nice though.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Kenning posted:

Quoting to say that this is an excellent choice. My go-to had been an Old Fashioned with cigars, but I've been having heartburn/not sleeping very well lately so I've not been drinking on weeknights to see if that helps. A simple English breakfast with milk and sugar was an excellent accompaniment with the Rocky 1990 perfecto tonight. Highly recommended for when you're keeping it low key.

I'm really glad you tried the breakfast tea with a cigar and it worked well. I've never seen the combination discussed anywhere, but it really worked for me, so it was entirely a suggestion based on my own trials. Someone else saying the combo worked for them means it might actually be "a thing."

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Nondescript Van posted:

It is probably just me but the two master blends 3 robustos I've smoked (the second an hour ago) have kicked my rear end. Even after a full meal I start to really feel it halfway through.

Nap time is nice though.

Try drinking more water and a slightly sugary drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I had some friends over yesterday and I smoked a Man O’ War box pressed and a Perdomo Habano Maduro. Both were enjoyable enough but I don’t think I’d seek out either one again. I have one more of each that I can try sometime in the future.