Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Or this for that matter:

But yeah, Toei’s English spellings can’t always be taken as gospel (and not just when it comes to Precure either).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In movie news, it appears Miracle Leap has been rescheduled for October 31 while the main movie won’t be happening until next year:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

Or this for that matter:

But yeah, Toei’s English spellings can’t always be taken as gospel (and not just when it comes to Precure either).

:black101:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

What if the Twin Love Guitar really was an axe?!?!?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Related to my earlier post, a recent new teaser for Miracle Leap has come out showing a preview image for the main movie at the end, it seems to involve giant sweets and a city that’s either frozen or flooded:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qQjLBX3kVoU

Considering it won’t be out until next year it might be cool if it took place post-series as kind of an epilogue chapter.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So in addition to there being a Precure cameo at the end of the most recent VS movie, there was also a Kirameiger version of Star Twinkle’s second ED (including an introduction by KirameiRed and Cure Star):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nF-1lrknyB8

Any idea what the original source for this video was (like was it a commercial, a special, etc)?

Off the subject, Healin Good 15: That was a cute episode. The fight was a little contrived, but it was amusing how Nodoka couldn't transform (again) because she was fighting with Rabirin. I also liked Latte chewing out Nodoka and Rabirin for not getting along. Her life was literally at stake there!

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 12, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, as mentioned a while back there were a pair of audio dramas released in the early days of the franchise in which the Futari gang did a crossover with the Dekarangers and the Magirangers respectively. Well, I finally managed to track them down:

Futari Wa and Dekaranger: https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm10468296

Max Heart and Magiranger: https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1030604

Couldn’t tell you what they’re about as I only have a slight knowledge of Japanese and very little information is available online (the Dekaranger one appears to be Christmas related though) but there you go.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

So unless I'm reading this wrong, the next Healin' Good Precure episode is going to be a crossover with Ojamajo Doremi? Or there will at least be a cameo appearance?

https://twitter.com/Doremi_staff/status/1284323567962734592

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 18, 2020

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah looks like it, episode 16 will have a witch apprentice?! Hash tag "looking for the witch apprentice".

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

So unless I'm reading this wrong, the next Healin' Good Precure episode is going to be a crossover with Ojamajo Doremi? Or there will at least be a cameo appearance?

https://twitter.com/Doremi_staff/status/1284323567962734592

Well that’s an unexpected crossover. Is the Doremi series currently still going on in Japan? And in any case, is it worth watching?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Doremi ended in like 2004 or thereabouts? But they have a movie coming up so it's probably related to publicity for that.

edit: I looked it up - it ended in 2003 but they had some OVAs through 2004 and as far as I know that's the last they've been on screen.

I haven't seen it but it's very popular.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Makes sense. I forget, is this the first non Sentai crossover Precure’s ever done (aside from a few real life comedians guest starring in an episode of Fresh and Smile respectively and some mascot character making a cameo in the Happiness Charge movie that is)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 18, 2020

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Doremi really is a series I need to get around to watching considering almost everyone that's watched it raves about it

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I've watched Doremi. I will rave about it. It's REAL good.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Crunchyroll put up a history of Magical girls video on Youtube and I have somes issues with including the fact it didn't mention Nanoha at all and it's bit on Precure was pretty suspect (Call the three shows after Futari Wa unsuccesful is unfair as Max Heart and Yes did real well, Splash Star and Go Go). Also skipping from Sailor Moon to Card Captor Sakura is a hell of a skip cause Rayearth is an important show for a lot of reasons and even if I don't think Utena is a magical girl show enough do that you do need to mention it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Cardcaptor Sakura and its sequel(?) the Clear Card Arc worth watching? I was thinking of checking it out at some point.

Also was it based on a manga like Sailor Moon was? If so, which version is better?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 19, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It is based on a manga, i think the anime is better. The anime leans into a weird agegap side relationship less and has some really good original characters

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

It is based on a manga, i think the anime is better. The anime leans into a weird agegap side relationship less and has some really good original characters

Cool, so what exactly is the “Clear Card Arc” that came out about 2 years ago? Is it supposed to be a sequel or something (and is it any good)?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sequel. Its about as good as the original but its not finished in manga or anime form, so some of its threads arent resolved and probably wont be anytime soon. Plus its very much written assuming theres been a 20 year gap for the viewer instead of one directly to the other. A lot of its early runtime is just spent reintroducing characters and letting them show off.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's why I find the Clear Card anime to be worse version of Clear Card as it spends more time on reintroducing characters and flashback to the first series that it doesn't introduce the real plot till the end of the series. It also lack a lot of the visual flair of the first series too

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Re: Healin' Good/Doremi

https://twitter.com/mahonuma/status/1284636120572035072

looks like it was just the Doremi girls appearing on a poster. still cute

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

Sequel. Its about as good as the original but its not finished in manga or anime form, so some of its threads arent resolved and probably wont be anytime soon. Plus its very much written assuming theres been a 20 year gap for the viewer instead of one directly to the other. A lot of its early runtime is just spent reintroducing characters and letting them show off.

How come it hasn’t been finished? Is the manga version still going at least?

Anyway, Healin Good 16: Cute episode. A lot more chill than most of the season, though it did have Batetemoda rapping. The Doremi cameo was limited to just a poster visible in the corner of one of the scenes. Nothing too big, though we get episodes like this once a season anyhow. Next time is a Chiyu focused episode, about her family's hot springs inn.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 19, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

How come it hasn’t been finished? Is the manga version still going at least?

the manga's still going but its going at a rate of about a chapter every two months. its not been finished because CLAMP are all in their mid-50s and are semi-retired.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

the manga's still going but its going at a rate of about a chapter every two months. its not been finished because CLAMP are all in their mid-50s and are semi-retired.

Did they anime version even have a conclusion of sorts? I see it stopped about 22 episodes in.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

Did they anime version even have a conclusion of sorts? I see it stopped about 22 episodes in.

Nope it ended just as the main plot started to get going

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Nope it ended just as the main plot started to get going

Ah, I might just stick with the manga when it comes to that one then. Has there been any word on if they’ll be bringing the anime back at some point (or is that not likely seeing as it’s already been about two years and CLAMP’s semiretired now)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also for those curious, this was the Doremi cameo:

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

And they said Avengers Infinity Wars was the greatest crossover in history...

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

It's time for you to look inward and start asking yourself the big questions: in-universe would that be a poster for a live action movie?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Captain Cappy posted:

It's time for you to look inward and start asking yourself the big questions: in-universe would that be a poster for a live action movie?

:hmmyes:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

Or is that a poster for rival real world event being hosted by the Doremi's meaning they share a world with the healing good's?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If anyone was curious, here’s some more information on the real upcoming Doremi movie that was advertised in this episode:

https://ojamajowitchling.fandom.com/wiki/Looking_for_Witch_Apprentices

This episode also featured Batetemoda rapping for some reason, which was incredible.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 19, 2020

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love PreCure, have watched Madoka and Sailor Moon. Barring CardCaptor Sakura and Utena (which I'm planning to watch some day) are there any other cool, non-ecchi magical girl series I should check out? I briefly tried Symphogear but it felt weird and leery about its protagonists in a way I did not enjoy, if that's a useful barometer.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Android Blues posted:

I love PreCure, have watched Madoka and Sailor Moon. Barring CardCaptor Sakura and Utena (which I'm planning to watch some day) are there any other cool, non-ecchi magical girl series I should check out? I briefly tried Symphogear but it felt weird and leery about its protagonists in a way I did not enjoy, if that's a useful barometer.

Princess Tutu if you want to watch a short self contained one. Its amazing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, the second character song single for Healin Good just released. Featuring a cast version of the OP, a character song from Mimorin and Latte, and a song from all four Cures.

Here’s the former, you can find more on the same channel: https://youtube.com/watch?v=8VLdf-xDBN8

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 22, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Android Blues posted:

Corrector Yui is pretty good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Healin Good 17: This week on Hanasakur Iroha, we get our first Chiyu focus episode in a while. Getting a good look at her family and their business was some nice character-building, and we had a fun character of the day in Emily Smith, a girl from overseas who Chiyu helped to cheer up with some fun and games. We were also introduced to Chiyu's little brother. So Nodoka remains an only child, compared to the others. Next week is, of all things, a Nyatoran episode.

That was a pretty good Chiyu episode and despite the fact that I personally enjoy him, I like that they finally gave Batetemoda a break for once and let one of the other generals have some focus.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 26, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, some (very) brief footage of the Singaporean Futari Wa dub has been found:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N4N7IzNzb94

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Someone needs to raid YTV offices in Canada to find the Canadian Futari Wa dub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Someone needs to raid YTV offices in Canada to find the Canadian Futari Wa dub

You can find it online on a few streaming sites but the version currently uploaded is basically just the English dub track overlayed over the Japanese version. Not sure if the original televised release is still available anywhere though (I know it never got an official home release).

It’s better than Glitter Force at the very least and is basically uncut aside from localizing a few character names/references and adding a new OP and ED. I’d love an official release of it though (or at least replacing the original Crunchyroll version with a higher quality upload with better subs).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 26, 2020