Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't know what your intent with this post is but it comes across as extremely lovely. We know that things suck here.

Duzzy's a good dude, he's just German and stereotypes stereotype when he stereotype stereotypes.

A very fact driven society, I'll give that to the germans. Reminds me of, like, half my extended family. Don't ever leave us, Duzzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Fallom posted:

Thanks for the reminder that America has Big Number while other countries have Low Number.

Sorry if I seem cranky but we're suffering and dying from a pandemic that is going almost completely uncontrolled in our country so forgive me for reacting like a Syrian schoolchild being told that American schools have Coke Freestyle machines.

Yeah, I didn't mean to do the dumb shaming-routine that Europeans have loved to do over the last couple of decades, I came across that info-graphic and genuinely had one of my balls drop out of my pants at the fact that we're still considering this an uphill battle over here with those numbers, while the administration in the US is staging press conferences where weights are lifted off pick-up trucks with a TRUMP-ADMINISTRATION crane.

We've now had three separate spikes in the last six weeks that all have been courtesy of capitalism and stupidity and that continue to jeopardize our efforts to deal with the pandemic, the scale of how much worse it is in the US on account of Trump's idiocy just broke my brain a bit more.

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't know what your intent with this post is but it comes across as extremely lovely. We know that things suck here.

My "intent" with this post has been the very same of the majority of posts I've made with regard to the comically-evil incompetence of the Trump administration over the last couple of years.
If it was perceived as holier-than-thou pontificating, I apologize, it wasn't meant that way.

If you perceived it as such based on my previous discourse regarding the upcoming general election, I get it. Please understand that I'm not trying to antagonize you with everything I'm posting.
We're sortakinda all together in this shitbucket, and I just had a moment of abject surprise and anger at the current state of Trump's "leadership" in something that the rest of the world has been able to suppress by wearing loving masks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey, if that's what you meant then I believe you. I'm just warning you that it can come across as "look at how stupid you Americans are" rather than "I had no idea how bad you had it". It's hard to read tone over the internet :)

tankfish
May 31, 2013
As a map nerd that really puts the numbers into perspective. So thanks for it Duzzy.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I appreciated the post as a way of seeing just how badly the US is handling it.

The worst is seeing people who continually go "well, we must reopen, because if the economy goes down then we end up with a bunch of starving/homeless people" and thinking it doesn't have to be that way. But the US is gonna be the US :sigh:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey, if that's what you meant then I believe you. I'm just warning you that it can come across as "look at how stupid you Americans are" rather than "I had no idea how bad you had it". It's hard to read tone over the internet :)

I've spent the last 8 years in this subforum by mostly making GBS threads on the comical ineptitude of my country's armed forces, ranting about slow-cooking meat on a smoker, and burning my genitalia on account of not using nitrile gloves when handling chilis.
I'm fairly sure that just because I've occasionally been pointing out that universal healthcare should be what the entire planet should be doing, "my persona" in here isn't based on "look at how stupid you Americans are". But thanks for the warning ;)

That said...y'all Americans are pretty goddamn stupid these days.

And this is coming from someone that has had back pain for 10 straight days on account of riding their new non-double-suspension bike and it feels like they're taking more hits in the backside than when they were in the service :)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Portland just became a no-fly zone: NOTAM

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Madurai posted:

Portland just became a no-fly zone: NOTAM
Not a pilot, but that's a no drone zone, right? That small of an area and only up to 1000 feet seems like they're not worried about planes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've spent the last 8 years in this subforum by mostly making GBS threads on the comical ineptitude of my country's armed forces, ranting about slow-cooking meat on a smoker, and burning my genitalia on account of not using nitrile gloves when handling chilis.
I'm fairly sure that just because I've occasionally been pointing out that universal healthcare should be what the entire planet should be doing, "my persona" in here isn't based on "look at how stupid you Americans are". But thanks for the warning ;)

That said...y'all Americans are pretty goddamn stupid these days.

And this is coming from someone that has had back pain for 10 straight days on account of riding their new non-double-suspension bike and it feels like they're taking more hits in the backside than when they were in the service :)

I challenge you to a smoker duel

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I challenge you to a smoker duel

gently caress you, that time has passed.
I haven't had the luxury of owning a smoker in like 4 years. I'm the cynical old man ranting about "the good old days" now.

You're the GiP Slow-Cook-King, and you've had the title for quite a while.

(I can still do some mean jerky, though)

:)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

God dammit I'm sorry everyone. I'm just a horrible rear end in a top hat and all I can do is yell at people because I'm a worthless sack of poo poo trying to bring everyone down to my level. Nice meltdown. gently caress everything.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Fister Roboto posted:

God dammit I'm sorry everyone. I'm just a horrible rear end in a top hat and all I can do is yell at people because I'm a worthless sack of poo poo trying to bring everyone down to my level. Nice meltdown. gently caress everything.

Nah you're not an rear end in a top hat, you're just angry, scared and worrying like every other fucker on the planet that isn't an idiot is.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hexyflexy posted:

Nah you're not an rear end in a top hat, you're just angry, scared and worrying like every other fucker on the planet that isn't an idiot is.

Basically this, also chill and be kind to yourself

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Not a pilot, but that's a no drone zone, right? That small of an area and only up to 1000 feet seems like they're not worried about planes.

Or news copters, I guess.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

stealie72 posted:

It is a 1 nautical mile/2000 yards zone, 1000 feet high no flight zone centered on the Portland Justice Center.There are exceptions for UAS/Drones operations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hexyflexy posted:

also there is a real "poor dumb americans" streak to people's reactions to our current Mass Death Event, from some people outside of the US and some others inside it (couched in terms about bad states or bad individuals), and it's reasonable to be angry about that. it's a kind of bootstraps just-world thinking.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

If it was anyone else, I would have suspected some lovely driveby posting but it was Duzzy and I immediately figured his intentions were good and as far as I'm concerned, Duzzy could spam Goatse in this thread and I'd still give him a pass.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

also there is a real "poor dumb americans" streak to people's reactions to our current Mass Death Event, from some people outside of the US and some others inside it (couched in terms about bad states or bad individuals), and it's reasonable to be angry about that. it's a kind of bootstraps just-world thinking.

When I'm in a bad mood my dumb brain takes that stuff as bragging to people in the middle of a crisis even though I know that's not always the intent. I'm angry and upset that it's happening and I feel ever more powerless to do anything about it, especially now that I've been called back in to work with the "It's a Democrat hoax!" chuds and was exposed twice in my first three days out after sheltering-in-place for 4 months. I'm sorry I lashed out at Duzzy but this is all driving me a bit crazy.

Now I have enough coffee in me to realize that this is all a little :ironicat: coming from an American. If we make it through this I'll at least have a better sense of perspective.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 18, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

For me at least it's basically all :stonk:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

gently caress you, that time has passed.
I haven't had the luxury of owning a smoker in like 4 years. I'm the cynical old man ranting about "the good old days" now.

You're the GiP Slow-Cook-King, and you've had the title for quite a while.

(I can still do some mean jerky, though)

:)

I'm just disappointed I never got to take on all comers in a big smoking battle in the States. It doesn't even matter who does best, because everyone who attends wins.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

For me at least it's basically all :stonk:

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/1284596294615531521

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1284597899880542210

I mean, it would be the funniest loving thing in the world laughing about how absolutely terrible Donnie and his sycophants are at politics. But unfortunately, that accompanies people dying, so.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's truly amazing how bad they are. And I say they, and not him. But him too

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
That map Duzzy posted is loving wild, I knew things were bad for y'all but hadn't realized quite how bad they were. It was a good post. It's really loving weird being in NZ where people are basically already acting like the pandemic is ancient history, all we hear from the media is some one liner each day about new numbers, which tbh stops really meaning much. It feels really hosed being so unaffected while half the loving planet is still in a raging pandemic.

Also, what the hell is happening in Minnesota, Portland etc re the protests? Or the Seattle CHAZ? Our news media literally stopped reporting on it weeks ago, I guess since everyone put the black square on their Insta or whatever the gently caress, they felt like their job was done :rolleyes:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

facialimpediment posted:

I mean, it would be the funniest loving thing in the world laughing about how absolutely terrible Donnie and his sycophants are at politics. But unfortunately, that accompanies people dying, so.

As the saying goes, "The enemy of an unthinking uncaring infectious particle responsible for economic and health catastrophes is my enemy."

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

facialimpediment posted:

I have the best viruses! :chaostrump:

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That map Duzzy posted is loving wild, I knew things were bad for y'all but hadn't realized quite how bad they were. It was a good post. It's really loving weird being in NZ where people are basically already acting like the pandemic is ancient history, all we hear from the media is some one liner each day about new numbers, which tbh stops really meaning much. It feels really hosed being so unaffected while half the loving planet is still in a raging pandemic.

Also, what the hell is happening in Minnesota, Portland etc re the protests? Or the Seattle CHAZ? Our news media literally stopped reporting on it weeks ago, I guess since everyone put the black square on their Insta or whatever the gently caress, they felt like their job was done :rolleyes:

If I have to listen to one more wanker at work talk about how we need to reopen the borders "at least to Australia so I can see my family" I'm going to do someone an injury.

Or if I have to listen to my family complaining about how Jacinda is trying to kill small business.

Put everyone who wants to open poo poo up on a plane, leave them in the states for a few months, and see if the survivors change their tune.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Zeddary/status/1284508379470344193?s=19

What in the wide world of sports is going on here?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Larping.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

The Last Of Us 2 cosplay gone horrifically wrong

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It's like when you're a recruit and you get all your kit for the 1st time and you put it all on to go for a march or whatever and realise its a bunch of annoying bullshit and you made a huge mistake :haw:

E) or like, every airsofter ever

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It's like when you're a recruit and you get all your kit for the 1st time and you put it all on to go for a march or whatever and realise its a bunch of annoying bullshit and you made a huge mistake :haw:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
"We The People" tattoos are great for telling you everything you need to know about a person and none of it is ever good.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
yoooooooooooooo

0:33

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1284673373734350848

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

All the military surplus stores must have trouble keeping xxxxxxl+ sizes in stock holy poo poo.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

I wonder if he has a pouch for tater tots, or maybe a hotdog?

Also why carry two guns up front like that? Seems like a good way to lose control of one or the other.

Edit: looked closer at the pic, didn't notice the sloppy three point harness, goddamn somebody needs to offer classes on hot to use all this gear.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 19, 2020

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I for one am glad the aspiring right wing death squads of America are visibly incompetent at violence

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
This is my favorite
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1284508173815050240?s=20

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Ah yes, the elite squad known as The Baker's Dozen.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ah yes, the elusive meal team six

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Squeal Team Six