Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still relevant:

Been looking for a job, this is loving evergreen holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

LifeSunDeath posted:

jfc shut the gently caress up. I'm CPR certified and have been for many years, if put in a situation where I had perform actual CPR I have little doubt I'd gently caress it up...also the success rate for manual compression is very low, AED's are the biggest factory in saving someone who's gone into cardiac arrest...but saying something like you said to someone who was in an emergency and did the right thing...you're just a bastard.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the guy who tried to put his opponent's wife's hand in acid his hand through his friend's chest, at a party

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm Gen X as gently caress and find it a little weird that outside of starting to see ads and other marketing clearly aimed at my generation that Gen X is kind of generally ignored. We were like a placeholder generation or something.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Labeling generations is a dumb ambiguous practice. I manage to be both Gen X and millennial because of how bad the definitions are.

ok Millexxial

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm Gen X as gently caress and find it a little weird that outside of starting to see ads and other marketing clearly aimed at my generation that Gen X is kind of generally ignored. We were like a placeholder generation or something.

go gently caress yourself with your razer scooter you gen x gently caress.

i wish i could find the outburst im trying to refrence its from broad city when illana gets fired from that start up non profit or something.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

CaptainSarcastic posted:

why don't you go read Infinite Jest about it

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Private Cumshoe posted:

Why, is it good?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Why, is it good?

I thought it was funny, apparently it wasn't supposed to be though, it's gen x as gently caress though hence the really dumb one liner

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Starting? You guys had a loving huge footprint in the 80s and 90s and to this day a huge chunk of the nostalgia market is squarely based on poo poo you guys valued. Do you really think Millennials grew up with Ghostbusters, G1 Transformers, or goddamn She-Ra? Do you think DOOM coming back now was a coincidence? What the gently caress did you think Grunge and Alt.Rock were? Ready Player One is entirely based on Gen-X backwash. Did you grow up very far outside the US or are you somehow even more boring than all the poo poo I just described?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Private Cumshoe posted:

Nobody actually finishes that.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

mind the walrus posted:

Starting? You guys had a loving huge footprint in the 80s and 90s and to this day a huge chunk of the nostalgia market is squarely based on poo poo you guys valued. Do you really think Millennials grew up with Ghostbusters, G1 Transformers, or goddamn She-Ra? Do you think DOOM coming back now was a coincidence? What the gently caress did you think Grunge and Alt.Rock were? Ready Player One is entirely based on Gen-X backwash. Did you grow up very far outside the US or are you somehow even more boring than all the poo poo I just described?

There's a lot of ~early millennials~ that grew up with those things because boomers were making GBS threads out the nuclear family child requirements at the cyclic rate again. I mean, it's already been said that generational delineation is dumb, but there's another example to throw on the pile.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

mind the walrus posted:

This is a bit much.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

To be fair all the Gen X 80s media nostalgia sucks poo poo.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Kenning posted:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Remulak posted:

Nobody actually finishes that.

Well yeah the ending isn't that good

Kenning posted:

this too

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Private Cumshoe posted:

I thought it was funny, apparently it wasn't supposed to be though, it's gen x as gently caress though hence the really dumb one liner

You telling me a book called Infinite Jest isn't supposed to be funny?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

You telling me a book called Infinite Jest isn't supposed to be funny?
The author was a sad genius who committed suicide, so there was a tendency to enshrine it in amber. It's eased off, which ironically makes it easier to appreciate the book now than it used to.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Gen X'ers in their 50s tend to be boomer as gently caress in my experience. :shrug:

Is it generational or just age? I have no fuckin' idea.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really hope it's not age.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mind the walrus posted:

calm the gently caress down

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ok.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
No one's taking DOOM from me. Especially not the olds who claimed it cause Columbine.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

mind the walrus posted:

Typical Gen X, such slackers!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'll be damned if you're going to poo poo on loving Ghostbusters. What's next, BTTF?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMBylNJQEbg

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Seriously some of y'all are getting as cranky and deranged as the boomers you mock.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I was talking mostly about hearing lovely 80s music piped into grocery stores instead of lovely 70s music, seeing unfortunate callbacks to 80s styles in kids' clothing, and poo poo like that.

The aforementioned media properties I see more as the creative bankruptcy of Hollywood which makes them churn through remakes all the drat time. They have remade so many properties from the 60s, 70s, and 80s at this point that I think it's less generational and more executives thinking they can cash in on remaking The Avengers/The Thomas Crown Affair/Rollerball/The Brady Bunch/Scooby Doo/21 Jump Street/Miami Vice or whatever the gently caress they've decided to reboot.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Seriously some of y'all are getting as cranky and deranged as the boomers you mock.

Calm the gently caress down.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

It isn't, though boomers like to insist it is as if they weren't. FYGM turds to start with.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

mind the walrus posted:

Unfortunately, it seems to be age. I find as I inch closer to middle age, I have to catch myself before I start blurting out stupid poo poo about 'the younger generation."

It sucks, but I'm gonna push through it. I know a lot of it is the way I was taught by my father, so at least I know where the gently caress the crazy is coming from.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mind the walrus posted:

Calm the gently caress down.

exhibit a, your honor

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Being cranky because you're being beaten for needing food to live vs being cranky because the children you're beating for needing food to live aren't going 'Thank you sir, may I have another?'

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

The difference is the media kids consume today really is inferior to the media I consumed as a kid, whereas old people are just cranky.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

you broke my grill posted:

The difference is the media kids consume today really is inferior to the media I consumed as a kid, whereas old people are just cranky.

Not sure if authentic post, joke, or layered meta humor

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Ninja Turtles was so much better than Adventure Time, or what ever the gently caress kids watch now.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Sillybones posted:

Ninja Turtles was so much better than Adventure Time, or what ever the gently caress kids watch now.

It's reaction vids all the way down from here

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

80's stuff can be late Gen-X/early Millennial. The real Gen-X poo poo is 70's, baby. Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Planet of the Apes sequels.

Like how Reality Bites tried to capitalize on fake Gen-X nostalgia in loving 1994 of all times. It's like a marketer saw that it had been 15 whole loving years since My Sharona and figured people were ready for a rehash. And ironically....they were.

you broke my grill posted:

The 1980's had horrible animation and everything was filmed on video tape which looks terrible and can't be upscaled like film. Oh, and the music was too heavy on synths. Kids have much better media today.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Krispy Wafer posted:

Oh, and the music was too heavy on synths.

You'll take my keytar from my cold dead hands

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

tango alpha delta posted:

Unfortunately, it seems to be age. I find as I inch closer to middle age, I have to catch myself before I start blurting out stupid poo poo about 'the younger generation."

It sucks, but I'm gonna push through it. I know a lot of it is the way I was taught by my father, so at least I know where the gently caress the crazy is coming from.

I also have started generalizing about post-millenials but in a "The kids are burning down police stations, gently caress yeah I wish we were that cool" kinda way

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

80's stuff can be late Gen-X/early Millennial. The real Gen-X poo poo is 70's, baby. Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Planet of the Apes sequels.

Like how Reality Bites tried to capitalize on fake Gen-X nostalgia in loving 1994 of all times. It's like a marketer saw that it had been 15 whole loving years since My Sharona and figured people were ready for a rehash. And ironically....they were.

The 1980's had horrible animation and everything was filmed on video tape which looks terrible and can't be upscaled like film. Oh, and the music was too heavy on synths. Kids have much better media today.

I just realized I forgot that video tape ever existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

PathAsc posted:

You'll take my keytar from my cold dead hands

Some of it is good. Like who doesn't get grooving to Van Halen's 'Jump'. But then I watch Lethal Weapon and the jazzy synths they use for dramatic effect are just awful. All 1980's movie or TV background music is horrible. There are no exceptions.