Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Finally i got the game!
Paper loving mario!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Finished three streamers now, and I feel the game is a bit, not repetitive, but kinda? It's been the same elemental dungeon, get elemental power from elemental boss, office equipment boss dungeon, kill equipment boss, remove streamer for three worlds. Sure, the minute to minute exploration is different and varied, but the overall structure of the game seems a bit rigid

Also, I really wish weapons/enemies had visible stats. I'm just stocking up on my best hammers/boots and using them everywhere because going with anything lesser risks not killing the enemies in a single turn.

Finally, gently caress Boos.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't understand how people can see Olivia mourning the death of Mario's hat's green brother, Sweet Sap Loggins, and

and come to the conclusion that this is a bad game.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Got to Toad Town. As in, I was right about to enter it, saw the background and decided to save. So far, I really like it! It was a bit slower to start than Color Splash, but by the time Toads appeared, the pace picked up.
The whole Toad collecting aspect is something neat. Color Splash hid them in some clever places, but since they were all mandatory, those places were usually pretty easy. Dunno what they give me other than the crowd thing, but it's a neat idea for a secret collectible.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Every Toad rescued gives you one Toad Point, which lets you unlock concept art.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Toad Tracking accessory on or off???

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

mancalamania posted:

Toad Tracking accessory on or off???

Off the first time you're in a new area, on afterwards

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My favorite Toad that I’ve found so far is the one that was on Overlook Mountain. He was buried deeper than his buddies, and his line that he was buried deepest because they feared him and now he was out for vengeance had me dying

On the point that the streamer quest is repetitive in structure, hasn’t that always been the case? Star Spirits in 64, Crystal Stars in TTYD, Pure Hearts in SPM come to mind. I get that there aren’t partners or OCs but even saving the generics has its charm.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I don't mind the streamer quest being repetitive since the bosses are a hoot to fight against and all the environments are different and all have had some fun stuff you only do once, which means the game doesn't become stale.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah "the story follows a structure" is the weirdest criticism I've seen yet. No poo poo it does. The specifics are different every time so what's the problem?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Game is good though not without some small flaws.

Just don't go looking around for opinions from Paper Mario fans because hoo boy the fanbase is as much a garbage fire as it's always been.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Yeah "the story follows a structure" is the weirdest criticism I've seen yet. No poo poo it does. The specifics are different every time so what's the problem?

Maybe they mean that the story doesn't do any of the more unusual setups?

Like the detective wrestling saga, or the part where the boss steals your body after what seems to be the final fight, or the time where a world is destroyed mid-chapter in SPM. Not that this is necessarily better, but repeating the basic structure without any surprises seems like playing it safe.

Didn't play OK though, so no idea if that's true.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Torquemadras posted:

Maybe they mean that the story doesn't do any of the more unusual setups?

Like the detective wrestling saga, or the part where the boss steals your body after what seems to be the final fight, or the time where a world is destroyed mid-chapter in SPM. Not that this is necessarily better, but repeating the basic structure without any surprises seems like playing it safe.

Didn't play OK though, so no idea if that's true.

It's not.

Right after the blue streamer you get cut off from going to the next area and have to detour to a different part of the world to find a derelict creepy cruise ship and solve the mystery of what happened to the people on board, then you get some actual story telling that I'd compare to TTYD and a few side areas before finally being allowed to enter the next area.

TOK is like Color Splash in that it gives you TTYD like settings like Glitz Pit etc, but due to the unique characters being missing it has to work around it and give Mario mysteries to solve in that setting. It's more scooby doo that way??? If it makes sense.

Also I want the song on youtube that plays in Shogun Studios main area post the blue ribbon, it's so good and makes me think of Goemon games.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Jesus Christ this game is just a joy to look at

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
I had never played a paper Mario before and so far I'm liking it. Just finished the red steamer and started the blue area. My main complaint so far is that I wish I could speed up the text, and that battles seemed a bit easy at times but I'm guessing that's going to ramp up now that I'm past the intro area essentially.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There is indeed a structure, but 64 and TTYD fell under that as well without being formulaic. And I'd say the same applies to Origami King as well, as the minute to minute actions are pretty different so far. Of all the criticisms I might have of this game, I definitely don't think that's one that applies.

vlad3217 posted:

I had never played a paper Mario before and so far I'm liking it. Just finished the red steamer and started the blue area. My main complaint so far is that I wish I could speed up the text, and that battles seemed a bit easy at times but I'm guessing that's going to ramp up now that I'm past the intro area essentially.

The red streamer area is a bit of an extended tutorial unfortunately, but the game stops holding your hand as much past that point. For one, enemies come pre-jumbled instead of showing you the solution first.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it is maddening how hard it is to play paper mario 64 in this day and age. even if you dust off a wii console with the eshop version, it still has graphical effects that couldn't emulate properly

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It's like the best looking game on the N64. Probably has the most assets

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

I took this exact same picture.

Just beat the red streamer stuff and goddamn this is fun game to look at and wander around and it's way funnier than I expected even having seen most of the Paper Mario series usual writing.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Some concept art for OK.

We were loving robbed.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It really does suck that Nintendo started being super restrictive on the amount of creative license they can have with character designs. Intellectual property can be super loving weird though. The mobile game FF Brave Exvius ran into similar issues when they tried to make a unique tonberry character and Square nearly slayed their asses for it.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

They axed all the cool Yoshi's Island characters, it was an absolute bloodbath

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Man I absolutely cannot solve these battle puzzles at all; I'm not sure if it's some spatial awareness or puzzle solving issues on my part, but I'm not seeing any patterns or anything to help and I'm not making any progress on improving. Story and art so far is great, I just really wish the battle system was a little more accessible and traditional.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

skaianDestiny posted:

Some concept art for OK.

We were loving robbed.
Not that i disagree but concept art is always cooler than the final product and that's not unique to paper mario

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

skaianDestiny posted:

Some concept art for OK.

We were loving robbed.

This reminds of the concept art from Color Splash where at some point in development the rock, paper, scissors guy was the same type of ghost as Doopliss from TTYD.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Electric Phantasm posted:

This reminds of the concept art from Color Splash where at some point in development the rock, paper, scissors guy was the same type of ghost as Doopliss from TTYD.

If you go back and look at it they're all Toads in Color Splash, it's just they had to keep making it more obvious it was a Toad until they said gently caress it it's some rear end in a top hat with a dumb hat.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

skaianDestiny posted:

Some concept art for OK.

We were loving robbed.

Maybe I’m missing the joke but isn’t most of that in the game already? You can definitely dress bobby Bob-omb up in most of that in the photo studio at least

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
One of the big names in paper Mario fandom ‘Arlo’ has a very big following has posted his impressions of the game:-

https://youtu.be/G1EY2yu15RQ

He likes it a lot!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Bullet hell ballet. Oh my goodness. :allears:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pollyanna posted:

I don't understand how people can see Olivia mourning the death of Mario's hat's green brother, Sweet Sap Loggins, and

and come to the conclusion that this is a bad game.

it's not fun.

I actually think the boss battles are alright but I wish random encounters were gone entirely.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

skaianDestiny posted:

Some concept art for OK.

We were loving robbed.

Some of these are definitely in the game

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Araxxor posted:

The red streamer area is a bit of an extended tutorial unfortunately, but the game stops holding your hand as much past that point. For one, enemies come pre-jumbled instead of showing you the solution first.

Yeah I started a little of the next section and it's definitely a big jump to suddenly have to figure out not just the moves but the right shape. Sometimes I see it real quick, sometimes not so much.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Acerbatus posted:

it's not fun.

I actually think the boss battles are alright but I wish random encounters were gone entirely.

same, with this didnt have the random encounters, by area two im just skipping ring poo poo and going right into the fight

I do like the boss battles

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

bug fables is so good

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Spellman posted:

They axed all the cool Yoshi's Island characters, it was an absolute bloodbath

Yeah they should bring these guys back plus the Doogans.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

bug fables is so good

Yeah bug fables is a really good complimentary game to play alongside the new paper Mario

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The boss fights in this game are really fun please tell me everyone agrees and I'm not just weird

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

The boss fights in this game are really fun please tell me everyone agrees and I'm not just weird

They’re really fun!

It took a couple tries to wrap my head around it especially when I’m trying to get the 2x attack or chests but I like them a lot you’re not alone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blue streamer boss fight felt easier to me than red for some reason, perhaps just getting the hang of it. Definitely needing less time to solve the puzzles in normal encounters too.

I said there was little incentive to encounters earlier but I've changed my mind. Especially the big wave battles give you a ton of coins to keep you well stocked with high level boots and hammers. The accessories so far seem pretty meek though.

Ps. Buy the royal ticket!