Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

To be honest I'd join Cerberus. Humans first!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
IIRC the big difference from the books and the show is height, 'cause Naomi is supposed to be like 6'5" on account of growing up in space but there just aren't that many 6'5" actresses out there

Bobbie's also supposed to be noticeably larger but Frankie Adams looks like she could beat the poo poo out of anyone so you barely notice

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, I feel like a lot of the descriptions refer not necessarily to base skin tone but to sun exposure. You can be naturally dark skinned but still have it be "paler" based on sun exposure and such. So I always assumed someone with pale skin simply meant they lived inside with only artificial light.

You can be dark skinned, but still pale, or paler. Same applies for redness, its much more prominent in white skinned people, but you can still see it in people with very dark skin.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Daniel Radcliffe confirmed as the new Alex!

https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/1283823006922375168?s=19

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Daniel Radcliffe really does play an excellent weirdo so I am unironically on board.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Time to goonrush twitter to make them offer him a role?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Daniel Radcliffe had a wonderfully self-aware guest role on Bojack Horseman, second only to Jessica Biel ("B-list?" "No, Biel-ist. Like Jessica Biel!" "... I feel like we're saying the same thing."). It sucks that he's had his struggles with addiction during his time in the public eye, but it's great that he's at a point now where he only takes on passion projects. Can't say I really see how he'd fit into an Expanse role, but it'd be a welcome appearance.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Haven't read any of the books and awful at reading english, so bear with me please.
He is clearly described as white or as pale skinned in the books? Do the books use 'white skinned' as a description at all or they are 'ultimate tolerant' in this matter and only use shades?

btw looking at Strait at several life photos he does appear more white IRL than in the show. While on others he's the hottest spanish guy alive (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQotq6A7_f0jWzP20BKfHHaf7s6uxERLRwORg&usqp=CAU). Maybe that's the tan or the eye squint he does for the show, or make up? Can't quite put my finger on it

The books use 'white skin' exactly once, and it's describing Amos' neck specifically (so that reads like something they forgot to edit out.) In every other circumstance, a character is either 'pale-skinned' or 'dark-skinned.' Dark-skinned characters are often also equated to 'deep brown' which is the go-to phrase of the authors when describing darker skin tones. A lot of 'pale-skinned' characters have red or blonde hair. In English writing, it's generally seen as bad form to say 'white-skinned' or 'black-skinned' because it's inaccurate unless the character is, like, an albino or a Drow. The only descriptions we seem to get of Holden's physicality at all are in the first two books, where he's described by himself and Miller as 'pale-skinned' and Holden considers himself having the looks of a 'Montana farm boy' and otherwise being 'generic' in the face of someone like Naomi, who is mixed-race. He's never clearly described as white, and the only person who is is Amos - is Amos the only white guy in the future? And, for the most part, Amos is described as 'pale-skinned.'

The tweet chain that one came from is interesting because the Corey boys say that people thought Amos was black. But Amos is clearly described as having red hair in the books, so, that's more a fault of people not paying attention. But you can see why people think that, given that, in the novels, ethnicity is often equated directly with location in a form of shorthand, and Baltimore - in 2020 - is predominantly black. Sometimes, the authors get around it by having Holden think something like 'Whenever Holden saw Alex, he was always surprised he didn't have a Punjabi accent' which is, uh... 3.6 roentgens. Not great but not terrible.

In the books, we don't get much information on Holden's family at all. Just about all the information we get is: he grew up in Montana, he has eight parents and here are their names, he was a genetic mix of all eight of them. So, I think we can presume that he's a mix of them all equally. So, if Holden has eight parents - one African, one Hispanic - and the rest of them are white, then I'd wager Holden would be more 'pale' than 'dark.' That's not even mentioning that there's a wide-range of skin tones across African and Hispanic ethnicities - like, not all Africans are Sudanese dark and not all Hispanic people are swarthy. More to the point, I don't buy that Holden - if he grew up with such a cosmopolitan family - would be so weirded out by Naomi's African/Asian mixed features. In the first novel, he only starts considering her attractive when he's drunk! Otherwise, he thinks that she's weird looking (and it's not related to her Belter features, which he rarely - if ever - mentions.)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah, The Expanse is fairly diverse for a work of fiction written by a bunch of white guys, and the casting is deliberately made as diverse as can be filmed in Toronto (pretty good in fact!). Alot of modern sci fi trends towards these kinds of diverse casts of characters because it's a logical extrapolation of global trends. If anything, it's Hollywood that has serious issues with diversity.

A good example in my mind is Interstellar: a story about grand sweeping themes of human endeavour, and it casts almost exclusively white, and it's obsessed with using imagery from the US heartland. There is like a single mention of India, a single mention of China, and that's pretty much it. Interstellar completely bucks modern sci fi trends, and not in a good way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Well it was made by boomers and gen xers, what do you expect?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah, The Expanse is fairly diverse for a work of fiction written by a bunch of white guys, and the casting is deliberately made as diverse as can be filmed in Toronto (pretty good in fact!). Alot of modern sci fi trends towards these kinds of diverse casts of characters because it's a logical extrapolation of global trends. If anything, it's Hollywood that has serious issues with diversity.

A good example in my mind is Interstellar: a story about grand sweeping themes of human endeavour, and it casts almost exclusively white, and it's obsessed with using imagery from the US heartland. There is like a single mention of India, a single mention of China, and that's pretty much it. Interstellar completely bucks modern sci fi trends, and not in a good way.

Interstellar also decided to make up some bullshit pan-crop epidemic instead of focusing on the real existential threat of climate change (why does it matter if you get off of Earth if all of the crops have already been infected or gone extinct from this thing?)...not related but boy that was a dumb movie.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Interstellar is a dumb movie that's that's trying really hard to pretend that it's clever.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Interstellar was 100% banking on the combination of "oh my god Christopher Nolan!" and "the black hole effect is supposed to be the most realistic one ever!" and that made for a visually interesting but dramatically horrible film.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Don't forget the superb robot.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Interstellar was 100% banking on the combination of "oh my god Christopher Nolan!" and "the black hole effect is supposed to be the most realistic one ever!" and that made for a visually interesting but dramatically horrible film.

Also insane space Matt Damon gets horribly killed.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
It was pretty entertaining even if it was dumb. If you want to see both dumb and unentertaining sci-fi, watch Ad Astra.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah Interstellar had some really cool sequences but was also just incredibly dumb

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Love Zimmer's soundtrack for Interstellar though. The sequence of the spaceship docking with the spinning station was cool as hell. Giant tidal wave planet was very memorable too. Ice planet was less visually interesting as was desert planet. So, we're just missing the rpg jungle planet.

But yeah the drama is... Less good than the actual space set pieces.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Interstellar had an amazing soundtrack, this is one piece I end up listening to several times a year.

But I would argue that Interstellar is one of those films that isn't as much trying to be sci-fi, but more uses sci-fi to tell a story. Like the original Star Trek series- it wasn't really about a bunch of people flying around in the 23rd century, it was using sci-fi as a platform to explore modern society (well the 1960's, which was modern at the time).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Then it's annoying that they kept trotting out Neil Degrasse Tyson and Bill Nye and Kip Thorne all over the interview circuits pimping the movie. Nope, it all comes down to Anne Hathaway crying for her boyfriend.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
How was Matthew McConaughey's character supposed to find Anne Hathaway at the end of the movie, the wormhole appeared to be gone and with no means to get a fix on her position relative to Earth I'm not sure where the hell he thought he was going

I mean I really like parts of the movie and the general idea is super cool don't get me wrong. Ad Astra was way worse.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Tighclops posted:

How was Matthew McConaughey's character supposed to find Anne Hathaway at the end of the movie, the wormhole appeared to be gone and with no means to get a fix on her position relative to Earth I'm not sure where the hell he thought he was going

I mean I really like parts of the movie and the general idea is super cool don't get me wrong. Ad Astra was way worse.

Well, they were in the system for a bit, and probably took a lot of readings of the main stars as well as the constellations visible from that point, so its a matter of a lot of math and computer stuff to compare them to readings we get on Earth.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
"oh hey guys this is going to be a super realistic scifi"

*takes off on a random saturn v rocket*

*lands on a planet with a gravitational pull so hard it warps space time .. takes back off with no fuel issues*

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Then it's annoying that they kept trotting out Neil Degrasse Tyson and Bill Nye and Kip Thorne all over the interview circuits pimping the movie. Nope, it all comes down to Anne Hathaway crying for her boyfriend.

At least it isn't as bad as Ad Astra. Guy kills a whole crew so he can tell his dad that they are both pieces of poo poo and then more people die or something. That movie sucked rear end way more than Interstellar.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

WilWheaton posted:

"oh hey guys this is going to be a super realistic scifi"

*takes off on a random saturn v rocket*

*lands on a planet with a gravitational pull so hard it warps space time .. takes back off with no fuel issues*

Eh, that wasn't from the planet's gravity, but rather their proximity to the black hole.

What got me was the whole "transmitting all of the data about the inside of a black hole through morse code" thing at the end. Like, come on.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Interstellar had an amazing soundtrack, this is one piece I end up listening to several times a year.

But I would argue that Interstellar is one of those films that isn't as much trying to be sci-fi, but more uses sci-fi to tell a story. Like the original Star Trek series- it wasn't really about a bunch of people flying around in the 23rd century, it was using sci-fi as a platform to explore modern society (well the 1960's, which was modern at the time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCSH_ZdnEUM

Mu Zeta posted:

To be honest I'd join Cerberus. Humans first!

Part of being of recruiting for a evil organization is making sure to have sexy space uniforms.

etalian fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 18, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fister Roboto posted:

Eh, that wasn't from the planet's gravity, but rather their proximity to the black hole.

What got me was the whole "transmitting all of the data about the inside of a black hole through morse code" thing at the end. Like, come on.

Was that was happening? I thought he was just getting a quick message across so should would realize he was there. From there it sparked the inspiration for the work she did about black holes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

etalian posted:

Part of being of recruiting for a evil organization is making sure to have sexy space uniforms.

If you're some desk jockey and getting flabby do you still have to wear the skintight bodysuit?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

At least it isn't as bad as Ad Astra. Guy kills a whole crew so he can tell his dad that they are both pieces of poo poo and then more people die or something. That movie sucked rear end way more than Interstellar.

Ad Astra had a Space Monkey. so better.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
this is the worst offseason

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Phi230 posted:

this is the worst offseason

At least everybody's done fantasizing how best to kill Alex off...

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Still waiting on the replacement tourney bracket.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

If we need more suggestions to fill it out:

Thor from Stargate
That robot head thing from Lexx
Ascendant Traveller Wesley Crusher

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Organic Lube User posted:

Ascendant Traveller Wesley Crusher

Every time he showed up in Dark Matter I wanted to punch him in the face.

He's got a knack for playing that kind of character.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Saul tigh

Colonel McQueen from space above and beyond

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Every time he showed up in Dark Matter I wanted to punch him in the face.

He's got a knack for playing that kind of character.

I just was beginning an attempt at watching Dark Matter but didn't realize he was in it. Gonna save me a lot of time, thanks.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Interstellar tried to trick everyone into thinking it was a spiritual successor to Kubrick's 2001, but it just ended up being a nonsensical facsimile.

It did make a fun meme, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6CuNsHK7D4

Cojawfee posted:

I really wanted to like this movie, but all I can remember about it now is Brad Pitt floating through space, narrating "what is the point? When will this all end" or something like that and I burst out laughing because that's what I was thinking about the movie.

I just was beginning an attempt at watching Dark Matter but didn't realize he was in it. Gonna save me a lot of time, thanks.

Dark Matter is a good, fun show. :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

He only shows up a couple of times. You should still watch Dark Matter.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I was gonna watch Ad Astra then i saw a trailer where they had space pirates on the moon...in like...the fuckin rover buggies..and i decided to do something more productive with my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Was that was happening? I thought he was just getting a quick message across so should would realize he was there. From there it sparked the inspiration for the work she did about black holes.

Yeah the whole thing was that if they had the data, they'd be able to solve the Grand Unified Theory and be able to do wormhole travel on a mass scale, or something like that. Which would mean that they'd be able to save people on Earth instead of leaving them to die and seeding other planets.

It's a good enough movie as long as you don't think about it very much.