Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1284714645157281794?s=20

quote:

President Donald Trump’s 82-year-old Commerce Secretary has been hospitalized, according to multiple reports.

On Saturday evening, Fox News reported “Secretary Wilbur Ross resting at the hospital.”
Sources tell FOX News Doctors are just being cautious to make sure everything is ok. Sources say it is not coronavirus related,” Fox correspondent Edward Lawrence tweeted.

CNN’s Jeremy Diamond confirmed the reporting, quoting a spokesperson as saying the medical treatment is for a “minor, non-coronavirus related issues.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

You love to see it.

https://twitter.com/MarxistTwink/status/1284589002696331266?s=19

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sorry, I don't get it...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"Commerce Secretary hospitalized during economic catastrophe". It makes it sound like he was hit by a truck full of money.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

eventually he has to realize that saving people from covid would be good for his polls

right

right!?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fallom posted:

eventually he has to realize that saving people from covid would be good for his polls

right

right!?
Trump is on the record as saying that the only reason COVID even exists is that people are paying attention to it and testing for it

He's only capable of seeing things through the perpective of his life of brand management. He believes that if people can be made to think something, that's the objective truth.

So... no. He thinks this can only be fixed by ignoring it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Fallom posted:

right

right!?

Nope! That goes against everything that has worked for him so far. Tump's approach to governing is "say lots of things but do nothing"

Even his "greatest" accomplishment (tax cuts for billionaires) required no work besides a signature.

He has spent 3.5 years saying "I'm great, America is great, no collusion" without actually doing anything. He saw this pandemic as another Ukraine scandal designed to make him look bad, so he took the same approach as always: deny all responsibility and deflect to the Democrats.

He never wanted to be President and still does not want to be President. He wants to be the underdog to the bitter end.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Wait till schools reopen and kids, teachers and parents start getting virus and people remember Trump was pushing the reopen

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 19, 2020

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Fallom posted:

right

right!?
Even if he does, it's too late. He's already created a culture where covid is a liberal conspiracy created by the deep state and masks are their way of silencing us. He could come out tomorrow saying that everyone should wear masks and 30% of the country would think that he's been bought off by Soros.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She’s so old...I guess I’ve never seen her speak. How many more elections is she going to bother with?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

She’s so old...I guess I’ve never seen her speak. How many more elections is she going to bother with?
until the day she dies, it's too good of a grift

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

She claims this is her last election.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Wait till schools reopen and kids, teachers and parents start getting virus and people remember Trump was pushing the reopen

His supporters won’t realize that it is real until they start getting COVID.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

She's probably out in 2022

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

SirPablo posted:

Another one to make you angry. Phoenix PD is loving trash.

https://twitter.com/ChampPR/status/1284654409159303168?s=19

Jesus loving christ. Cop flat out said they executed this man for opening his door too quickly.

human garbage bag posted:

Civics classes should be mandatory in all schools.

What the hell does this even mean? Maybe we stop arming pigs instead?

Baronash fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 19, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fallom posted:

right

right!?

Saving people from covid will require him admitting he was wrong, so that's a no-go

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1284682516063047681

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

SirPablo posted:

loving Christ. People need to get it through their heads that you shouldn't call the cops at all unless you're fine with someone getting killed.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Why wouldn't those rude people just be quiet for a few minutes so that Nancy could pander and lie to them? For shame.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Trump on his COVID response: "We're doing a job."

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The idiocy is astounding

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SirPablo posted:

Jesus loving christ, the sound of his death rattle as the pigs refuse to even let her near her dying boyfriend makes my blood boil.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jesus Christ. Shrieking "HANDS HANDS HANDS" as the guy complies with your orders and then you shoot him anyway.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/PDXzane/status/...ingawful.com%2F

That dude is crazy

Also, did you see the cop go for his knee with the baton? That's a great way to really gently caress up someone's knee

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/PDXzane/status/...ingawful.com%2F

That dude is crazy

Also, did you see the cop go for his knee with the baton? That's a great way to really gently caress up someone's knee

Big chungus spotted.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Fallom posted:

right

right!?

The Trump administration has balked at providing billions of dollars to fund coronavirus testing and shore up federal health agencies as the virus surges across the country, complicating efforts to reach agreement on the next round of pandemic aid.

Senate Republicans had drafted a proposal that would allocate $25 billion in grants to states for conducting testing and contact tracing, as well as about $10 billion for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and about $15 billion for the National Institutes of Health, according to a person familiar with the tentative plans, who cautioned that the final dollar figures remained in flux. They had also proposed providing $5.5 billion to the State Department and $20 billion to the Pentagon to help counter the virus outbreak and potentially distribute a vaccine at home and abroad.

But in talks over the weekend, administration officials instead pushed to zero out the funding for testing and for the nation’s top health agencies, and to cut the Pentagon funding to $5 billion, according to another person familiar with the discussions. The people asked for anonymity to disclose private details of the talks, which were first reported by The Washington Post.

The suggestions from the administration infuriated several Republicans on Capitol Hill, who saw them as tone deaf, given that more than 3.5 million people in the United States have been infected with the coronavirus and many states are experiencing spikes in cases.

So....no. Even Senate Republicans are pissed at Trump for being an idiot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Yeah, at this point it's pretty clear the issue isn't that they don't realize that doing something about the pandemic would help their cause but that they're literally incapable of doing something even if they wanted to.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

JesusSinfulHands posted:

The Trump administration has balked at providing billions of dollars to fund coronavirus testing and shore up federal health agencies as the virus surges across the country, complicating efforts to reach agreement on the next round of pandemic aid.

Senate Republicans had drafted a proposal that would allocate $25 billion in grants to states for conducting testing and contact tracing, as well as about $10 billion for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and about $15 billion for the National Institutes of Health, according to a person familiar with the tentative plans, who cautioned that the final dollar figures remained in flux. They had also proposed providing $5.5 billion to the State Department and $20 billion to the Pentagon to help counter the virus outbreak and potentially distribute a vaccine at home and abroad.

But in talks over the weekend, administration officials instead pushed to zero out the funding for testing and for the nation’s top health agencies, and to cut the Pentagon funding to $5 billion, according to another person familiar with the discussions. The people asked for anonymity to disclose private details of the talks, which were first reported by The Washington Post.

The suggestions from the administration infuriated several Republicans on Capitol Hill, who saw them as tone deaf, given that more than 3.5 million people in the United States have been infected with the coronavirus and many states are experiencing spikes in cases.

...I don't loving get it

What do you get out of being an administration official carrying water for this lunatic? Your career in Washington is over after this. You have the blood of thousands of Americans on your hands. It's so easy to become the "good one" in the administration and redeem yourself by coming out publicly. Instead they just obey the Mad King

Is it cowardice? Ineptitude? Groveling admiration?

Trump has utterly doomed his own election, and possibly the election prospects of the entire GOP. The Pandemic will just get worse as he refuses to do anything, and he actively fights the efforts of anyone to stop it spreading, because it will hurt his "glorious economy". He's just going to keep believing it is a made up hoax and ignoring it. It's incredible to me we can't just declare the motherfucker incapacitated: he's clearly insane

He's just so loving stupid, it's unfucking real

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 19, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

...I don't loving get it

What do you get out of being an administration official carrying water for this lunatic? Your career in Washington is over after this. You have the blood of thousands of Americans on your hands. It's so easy to become the "good one" in the administration and redeem yourself by coming out publicly. Instead they just obey the Mad King

Trump has utterly doomed his own election, and possibly the election prospects of the entire GOP. The Pandemic will just get worse as he refuses to do nothing, and he actively fights the efforts of anyone to stop it spreading, because it will hurt his "glorious economy". He's just going to keep believing it is a made up hoax and ignoring it. It's incredible to me we can't just declare the motherfucker incapacitated: he's clearly insane

A lot of them will probably land on their feet, even if only as personalities on OANN or whatever inherits fox news’ cultural space, or as Alex Jones youtube grifters. It will be easy to blame Trump’s failures on Trump after a year or two.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

TulliusCicero posted:

Trump has utterly doomed his own election, and possibly the election prospects of the entire GOP.

I watched Bush also sink the electoral prospects of the entire GOP. Then I watched the GOP win over 60 seats and retake the House in the 2010 midterms.

Assuming the GOP is doomed after this whiffs of the same hubris which said Trump couldn't win in 2016.

I'd guess the hangars-on who aren't true believers are hoping they can continue to blow with the political winds and find success after Trump is old news. I mean, just look at senators Cruz and Graham - both on record against Trump when that looked to be politically prudent, both flipped when it became clear that doing so would help their own political prospects, and both will probably just flip back if he becomes a political loser.

They'll hang on until the very moment they see a different path which is more likely to succeed (because they have no actual principles).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TulliusCicero posted:

...I don't loving get it

Trump has utterly doomed his own election, and possibly the election prospects of the entire GOP. The Pandemic will just get worse as he refuses to do anything, and he actively fights the efforts of anyone to stop it spreading, because it will hurt his "glorious economy". He's just going to keep believing it is a made up hoax and ignoring it. It's incredible to me we can't just declare the motherfucker incapacitated: he's clearly insane

They think they can thread the needle.

The thing about the Republican base is at this point a significant portion of it is die hard Trump supporters, because you'd have to be to keep identifying as a Republican. They know that their career is over if they come out against Trump at this point. They think that they can ride it out and in 4 years or so they will claim that they were always against him.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I watched Bush also sink the electoral prospects of the entire GOP. Then I watched the GOP win over 60 seats and retake the House in the 2010 midterms.

What? Pretty sure the polls were always on his side back then.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Republicans posted:

What? Pretty sure the polls were always on his side back then.

Double check your dates. Obama was elected in 2008, so 2010 was the first midterm election under his presidency.

It doesn't make sense for polls to have been on Bush's side at that time because he was retired.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TulliusCicero posted:

...I don't loving get it

The White House is full of best of kin or True Believers now.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They think they can thread the needle.

The thing about the Republican base is at this point a significant portion of it is die hard Trump supporters, because you'd have to be to keep identifying as a Republican. They know that their career is over if they come out against Trump at this point. They think that they can ride it out and in 4 years or so they will claim that they were always against him.

That's a big difference. Republicans backed Bush and 2012 Romney as part of the cause, not as personal loyalty. Both Bush and Romney were willing to accept that and to step aside once their stars faded., so the loyalty to the party would persist. Is Trump going to do that? If he doesn't, how much of the base will say Trump failed the Republicans and how many will say the Republicans failed Trump?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Double check your dates. Obama was elected in 2008, so 2010 was the first midterm election under his presidency.

It doesn't make sense for polls to have been on Bush's side at that time because he was retired.

I mean, Bush sank the electoral prospects of the GOP in 2006. It took another massive crisis in the form of the 2008 economic collapse to snatch the White House away from them when it was looking like it would have probably been a sure thing for McCain until about late August, early September of '08.

But you're right otherwise. The Republican Party has gone from the autopsy table to invincible iron-clad control over all levers of government several times within the last 20 years, largely because Democratic voters let their guard down because they get hella rad cases of the goldfishbrains and they forget how evil and incompetent Republicans are and seem utterly shocked by it every time. And it's gonna happen again. If Joe Biden wins in November, they're gonna cheer that evil has been vanquished forever this time and not show up to vote in 2022 and then OH gently caress WHERE DID ALL THESE REPUBLICANS COME FROM WHAT HAPPENED GUYS?!?!

It's like clockwork.

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Trump on his COVID response: "We're doing a job."

USPOL Summer: We’re doing a job

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SirPablo posted:

Cops are like a mythological curse. Sometimes they just come to your door and you die.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SubG posted:

Cops are like a mythological curse. Sometimes they just come to your door and you die.

One weird trick to keep police from crossing your threshold and killing all the firstborn in your home (lambs hate it!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SubG posted:

They test how quick cops draw and shoot reflexes are. Maybe they need to start testing and training how well their panic and restraint reflexes are. If you're the kind of person who, let's say, flinches and screams at a typical summer blockbuster jump scare, then you're probably the kind of person who will panic and blast half a magazine through someone if he opens a door a little too faster than you were expecting, ergo you should not be a loving cop.