Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Acerbatus posted:

it's not fun.

I actually think the boss battles are alright but I wish random encounters were gone entirely.

I don't quite wish those were totally gone because I am really getting some enjoyment out of the puzzle elements of the random battles, especially when you solve one in the last second but I definitely think there are too many and I don't like the weapons breaking part of that equation. The weird thing is that once I got into the third chapter of the game (after the cruise ship and Bobby/Bob-omb's sacrifice) there haven't been a lot of fights. The desert gives you a car that you can use to just plow through all of the Boos and Pokeys therein without having to fight them, and there aren't a whole lot of fights in the third temple so there was a good 3-4 hours of gameplay where I had maybe a handful of random fights. IMO the way they should have handled them is instead of having wandering random encounters, all of the enemies in the field should be handled in the field (like all of the Paper Macho enemies, or how they are after you get power bumps) and then all of the puzzles would be at preset locations, like the boss fights but with regular Joes using the ring system and instead of purchasable upgrades that you have to go back and buy again occasionally, just a good old RPG weapon mechanic where you can have a few boots or hammers equipped at once but they never break. Heck, you could even turn the fire/ice flowers or tail or mushrooms into equippables instead of items so you have to choose whether you want to have a heal equipped or more attacks, or if you want only jumps and a basic hammer, or whatever. I think weapon durability was probably the worst game design choice in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or they could make a proper paper mario RPG again, but... :smith:

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah bug fables is a really good complimentary game to play alongside the new paper Mario

eh. It's missing a lot of the polish that makes paper mario great.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rip bobby :'(

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Acerbatus posted:

Or they could make a proper paper mario RPG again, but... :smith:

bold statement: I don't think this game would have been any better if it were a regular turn-based RPG than it is right now, and I think if a few minor changes were made to how the battle system in this game works, it could be even better. I think the writing and world-building in this game is on par with the first two Paper Mario games and fixing the battle mechanics wouldn't have changed that, in the same way that making Sticker Star a traditional turn-based RPG wouldn't have made it on par with those two (although the battle system in that game is a whole lot more broken).

I think because the battle system for Sticker Star and Color Splash were so broken a lot of people have just made the connection that the reason the older games were better is because of their battle systems but I don't really think it was ever about that. Honestly I think this game makes an excellent case for Paper Mario games completely excising random encounters entirely and probably being better off as a whole because you can either have a more interesting puzzle mechanic for the bosses like we have in OK or a little more development of the action in the field, ala the super-sized Paper Macho enemies like King Blooper or the giant Pokey. So far all of my favorite moments in this game are when it's functioning more like an adventure game than an RPG.

Actually what they really should do is take this engine and format, toss all of the RPG mechanics and turn it into Paper Zelda. This game already takes a lot of cues from BotW and the "silent hero travels around with chatty fairy occasionally giving him advice" is very Ocarina of Time. Switch out the Hammer for a sword, add a few more traversal mechanics like a Hookshot or some Pegasus Boots and you've got Paper Link! I don't think any of the previous formats could have done a Zelda game (unless they too were turn-based, which doesn't seem very Zelda to me IMO) but you could definitely make everything you need with this one.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Water volumental boss fight is pretty cool you guys. The system is now reaching quite a bit of strategy into it, you have olivias volumental summons, 1000 fold attacks, extra move/attack blocks, chests, etc. it’s proving to be quite a lot to think about on the fly which I enjoy quite a bit!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 19, 2020

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Shogun Studios is just incredible

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I do enjoy the Paper Macho fights quite a bit, honestly. I don't think I'd want a game consisting of just them (or, well. I don't want this game to be just them) but I do like the on-the-field battles contrasting with the shifting puzzles.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carlosologist posted:

Shogun Studios is just incredible

Who knows what's ahead but it gave me that same feeling like hitting the 8bit tribute section thing in Odyssey

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LiefKatano posted:

I do enjoy the Paper Macho fights quite a bit, honestly. I don't think I'd want a game consisting of just them (or, well. I don't want this game to be just them) but I do like the on-the-field battles contrasting with the shifting puzzles.

Same and the squid boss on the Princess peach cruise ship was my favourite so far. I'd reply that battle again no problem.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Al-Saqr posted:

Water volumental boss fight is pretty cool you guys. The system is now reaching quite a bit of strategy into it, you have olivias volumental summons, 1000 fold attacks, extra move/attack blocks, chests, etc. it’s proving to be quite a lot to think about on the fly which I enjoy quite a bit!

Yeah! I just finished that and while I felt like I had a much better hang of it than the Ground volumental boss fight I also could tell I wasn't doing it as optimal as I could be. Made me wanna go to the battle dealie and fight him again and I NEVER wanna re-fight bosses outside of character action games.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Goddamn the music in Snifit City goes in.

This game's world is just so great.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
This song on the CD you find for the DJ Toad in the temple is straight up Initial D Eurobeat and it kicks rear end

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So people have gone back to the toad radar place after getting the alert accessories right?

Because if memory serves, going there after getting, I want to say, the second alert accessory? would probably be a big help for people getting sick of regular battles.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think the battle system is fine as a nice distraction from adventuring and whatnot but god it becomes downright terrible when you have encounter after encounter after encounter. The ninji house is misery incarnate despite being a fun theme.
Dozens of battles against Ninji's who counter the hammer, so it's just making straight lines to jump on the entire time. I was told I missed 3 ninja masters and to try again and gently caress that.

Also I didn't see if this was addressed but the Ninjis stay defeated on your second lap to get all the Toad ninjas.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

garfield hentai posted:

Also I didn't see if this was addressed but the Ninjis stay defeated on your second lap to get all the Toad ninjas.

Also the Ninjis only counter the regular 2×2 hammer, you can use the throwable hammer and if you need to do a 2×2 attack the tail works

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

it is maddening how hard it is to play paper mario 64 in this day and age. even if you dust off a wii console with the eshop version, it still has graphical effects that couldn't emulate properly

project 64 (the newer non-malware version) with the angrylion or hatcat plugin runs it perfectly

at least.. so far.. i haven't gotten to anything that doesn't work

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I've mentioned how I was hoping they'd have some kind of gallery that gives you real life instructions for the origami creatures you fight, and it seems almost a crime that they do have a gallery, and an in-universe book on how to fold them, but you're unable to actually read the book yourself; Olivia just reads it and does it on her own.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://twitter.com/DrAraxxor/status/1284761549660274688

https://twitter.com/DrAraxxor/status/1284761632707448832

Man, they clearly had fun making this game. And proud of it too given how much they're willing to show off or show you again.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Yeah you can tell this game was made with a lot of love and fun. It's just so charming in every corner. Was just watching my boyfriend play a little and I only just noticed that the full name of the boss VR machine shortens to BAMF. It's the best that they managed to sneak that one in.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Super early and all but I just got done talking to Ol Grandsappy and I was not loving expecting that ending, I actually busted out laughing

What the hell is this game :allears:

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Finished the Red Streamer, and man, the bosses in this game rule!
Gameplay-wise they're super neat and interesting. I remember reading the spoiler that most of them are normal objects, like pencils, but that first major boss had so much personality, it's not an issue.
Really happy to see the accessory mechanic, wonder what choices I'll have down the line.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I love that there's multiple battle themes now. Liked what I heard of the sea battle theme.

Also wow, wasn't expecting that from a Paper Mario game, let alone a modern one. Rest in peace Bobby. :smith:

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Araxxor posted:

I love that there's multiple battle themes now. Liked what I heard of the sea battle theme.

I'm so loving happy about that. One thing I never understood about RPGs is that they just keep tormenting you with one theme, often in games that are 50+ hours long. Original MOTHER had plenty, and sequels (on SNES and loving GBA of all things) had almost a hundred combined!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Vookatos posted:

I'm so loving happy about that. One thing I never understood about RPGs is that they just keep tormenting you with one theme, often in games that are 50+ hours long. Original MOTHER had plenty, and sequels (on SNES and loving GBA of all things) had almost a hundred combined!
depending on the developmental circumstances, composing new tracks for a game can be really hard and/or expensive. Some games (like origami king) have expansive osts but you'll notice the large majority of games don't.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm very thankful that the Ice Dungeon is short.

A small blessing.

Araxxor posted:

Also wow, wasn't expecting that from a Paper Mario game, let alone a modern one. Rest in peace Bobby. :smith:

Character Spoilers

Go back and get your photo taken in Shogun Studios. :unsmith:

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I think someone earlier mentioned Ninji House having too many battles? I'm guessing it's about the floor panel room, and in that case I have a tip: get enemies to run after you. Attacking enemies one-by-one results in simple battles, but having them gang up on you (I had 3 battles in the said room, against one, and then, I think a group of 4 and 5 enemies) gives you a wave battle, which have a high chance of containing a circle. A sort-of high-risk/high-reward mechanic, where the reward seems to be time more than anything else.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The one thing I genuinely do not like about this game is the characterization. Every character outside of Mario and Olivia just feels so...generic. Most notable with the NPC and enemy types.

The game's great in almost all aspects except for the fact that there's nothing compelling about even a single Toad, Goomba, Koopa Troopa, or Bob-Omb. I find it hard to give a poo poo about anybody in this game. Everything interesting that happens is situational or environmental, which is fine, but rather strange for such a colorful world as Mario's.

Aside from that tho, A+ game!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

They do look generic but i don't think the character writing is lacking at all.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If you didn’t like the hipster colored pencil case boss, you hate fun. I’ve seen people complain that the bosses since Super Paper Mario have lacked personality but lol they managed to give personality to a colored pencil case, good one Nintendo

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The weirdest argument I've seen is that this game has completely unoriginal bosses because "seriously a boss is colored pencils?" but like...

Name one other game where you fight a case of colored pencils or a tape dispenser.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Yeah, the first time I heard it I was a bit worried since they made Thing jokes since Sticker Star, and while they were sometimes fun, I wasn't looking to yet another "3d real-life object" thing, but having beaten two Streamer bosses, holy gently caress they're great

Also
BIG BAND TCHAIKOVSKY REMIX HELL YES

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
This game is good but I feel like it would be strictly better if the ability you get to defeat “weaker” enemies on the field was just always present as a thing. Thus, you’d still have guaranteed and “set” ring battles that intermittently occur and for the overworld “random” encounters you could either choose to enter normally to do the ring puzzle and get more coins as a reward or just defeat them on the field and keep the pacing up if you don’t feel like engaging in the battle system at the time.

The lack of xp is definitely something I feel and considering I usually don’t need 400 coins or whatever as the battle reward I’d love the opportunity to do something that feels better than either avoiding enemies on the overworld or doing the 100th ring puzzle again and again. They get harder, but they never get more depth of things to do nor is there character customization so there really just needs to be less of them overall in the game given that.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah didn't someone mention a while back that you could permanently upgrade your stats with coins? Is that actually a thing, because I just beat the Water Vellumental and I've seen nothing like that in the game so far.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah didn't someone mention a while back that you could permanently upgrade your stats with coins? Is that actually a thing, because I just beat the Water Vellumental and I've seen nothing like that in the game so far.

They were mistaking accessories for stat ups. Getting heart containers levels up your strength though for what that's worth.

Also finished the purple streamer and uh... what the hell happened there devs? Did they figure not enough people played color splash so they just reused entire areas and songs? The pirate chant for captain T.Ode isn't even a remix of the chant from Color Splash, the skull head island is where you fought Wendy and found the pirate captain in Color Splash (it even has the holes in the skull you punch out) and the Fan Thing even gets reused for a third time.

It's so bizarre because I was expecting maybe it was just a reference, like Port Prisma would get namedropped as being nearby but nope- it's just recycle'd settings.

It's not that major though, just strange.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well that's good to know, no point in hoarding coins then.

But what the hell should I be using them on? I've got all the charms that are unlocked so far, I'm lugging around a ton of weapons and I still have 23000 coins.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Der Shovel posted:

Well that's good to know, no point in hoarding coins then.

But what the hell should I be using them on? I've got all the charms that are unlocked so far, I'm lugging around a ton of weapons and I still have 23000 coins.

Go to the pier behind tbe red warehouse building in Toad Town and hit the barrel. There is a mole who sells collectibles of the bosses you've beaten. Also some toads you rescue sell collectibles. Throw some money to toads in battles and they solve a part of the ring puzzle for you.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The weirdest argument I've seen is that this game has completely unoriginal bosses because "seriously a boss is colored pencils?" but like...

Name one other game where you fight a case of colored pencils or a tape dispenser.

The boss fight is so fun that I can't honestly give a gently caress that it's "just" a colored pencil case.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So is the game worth giving a shot if I think I may like the battle system? I do hear there is a lot of good regardless

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think the most criminal thing about the game is that it's just boring.

Every combat is either "Oh this is trivial" or "I have no loving idea how to even begin with this," with very little in between in terms of puzzle. In terms of actual combat since nothing hits hard and you've got a gigantic pool of HP as well as unlimited money for a billion fire flowers so it's not as if beating the puzzle matters anyway. They've somehow managed to make action commands boring as well! There are only two in the game, hammer and jump and they're both "Hit A at the right time" challenges. Part of the reason the original turn based games didn't get boring was that they were ready to play with their action commands and make them different for the kind of moves you were using.

I didn't go in expecting the original Paper Mario games but when combat isn't a) interesting and doesn't b) serve a purpose then I'm unsure why I should find it compelling or want to do it.

The humour has got a smile out of me in a few places but beyond a couple of moments, I'm more just annoyed by Olivia popping out unprompted every 10 seconds to make an inane comment telling me to solve a puzzle I've already solved just by looking at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

YoshiOfYellow posted:

They've had at least two games before this that went full-boar with Paper Mario meaning 'the whole setting is literally paper', so I think in that context just having major villains be things you use with paper in the real world is kind of unoriginal, especially when the main villain's gimmick feels more thought out and clever, at least to me.