Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m4SCUaBHS8

Evergreen video on how video games treat the Eastern Front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

sorry wrong thread

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

been making all my friends watch the spook who sat by the door and it feels like time very well spent

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i love films

https://twitter.com/JHWeissmann/status/1284338642979348480
https://twitter.com/JHWeissmann/status/1284542423155318784
https://twitter.com/JHWeissmann/status/1284546747071700992

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I like eyes wide shut better anyway

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I don't really like 2001 myself, I can appreciate it is a marvel of its time but I just didn't enjoy it.

The book is great though.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

if i remember correctly, this thread has never discussed the moral complexity of the dukes of hazzard. On one hand, the duke boys act as robin hood figures, fighting against the corrupt local government. On the other, the general lee is named after general lee, and sports a confederate flag. Can the maoist nature of the duke boys struggle be reconciled with the iconography of their mighty steed, the famous '69 charger?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/BeijingPalmer/status/1284301706650685440?p=v

i just realized that the reason i hated burning so much was because it was basically this except i appear to be the only person to have come to this extremely obvious conclusion based on the evidence that was presented

come to think of it this is also a pretty common twist in basically anything that could be called a mystery particularly procedural police shows so i seriously doubt just seeing the trope play out by itself does poo poo to affect peoples perception of the cops

i think prisoners comes the closest to playing it in such a way we could see the cop analog as a bad person rather than just misguided but what a surprise we end up with a secret double twist that ends up making him the hero anyway

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
That could actually be a really interesting movie and I think I've seen a few things that move in that general direction. Rectify is at first about whether a longterm death-row inmate is guilty or not but resolutely refuses to solve the mystery and regards it as irrelevant. Paul Auster's City of Glass features a detective getting embroiled in a mystery he never solves. And I could swear I've seen a french or Swedish film about a detective becoming obsessed with a case that everyone else, including the victims, has long stopped caring about.

(And how many classic detective mysteries could play out like this, given the genius detective's solution which is patched together from a haphazard of clues that could implicate nearly anyone?)

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

nonathlon posted:

Rectify is at first about whether a longterm death-row inmate is guilty or not but resolutely refuses to solve the mystery and regards it as irrelevant.

I loved Rectify and I hated this. I want my fictional mysteries SOLVED. Actual real life is full of unsolved mysteries and unknowable things enough already. Never showing the answer to a fictional mystery is lazy and performatively pretentious.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

So Relic took a bunch of movie tropes and Pro- Nazi revisionist history for their story line. gently caress, I regret getting these games on a gobble bundle several years ago now

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

i just realized that the reason i hated burning so much was because it was basically this except i appear to be the only person to have come to this extremely obvious conclusion based on the evidence that was presented

what's your theory with Burning? (i assume the 2019 korean film)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah like at least enemy at the gates remembered to occasionally remind people the nazis were the bad guys, coh2 is verging on just being straight nazi propaganda

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mobile suit Gundam is superior to 2001.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I loved Rectify and I hated this. I want my fictional mysteries SOLVED. Actual real life is full of unsolved mysteries and unknowable things enough already. Never showing the answer to a fictional mystery is lazy and performatively pretentious.

I'm not going to say that you're wrong, I understand it and was perplexed myself as the series headed to an end. But I came around to their viewpoint: whatever happened that night might be unknowable and wouldn't alter what happened afterwards. The afterwards was what they were interested in, what they wanted to explore.

I will grant that having even the suspect be unclear what happened was a bit of a stretch.

In summary: Rectify, cool.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

starkebn posted:

I watched "The Fall" last night due to people talking about it either here or the RLM thread. Is give it a solid "I enjoyed it". The locations and costumes were very cool, and the little girl was really charming.

On a technical level, it’s an incredible movie. Absolutely gorgeous. On a personal level, I hated it. It was basically 2 hours of this dude being really mean to a little girl and I couldn’t enjoy it at all

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

foks, we have to destroy fandoms

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Anyone else feel a benevolent disassociation with their childhood self? At least when sufficiently drunk? I'll go to war with an orange transparent chainsaw to defend Lil' Ghost Leviathan and anyone reminding me enough of them and their innocent playing with gender roles, love of Power Rangers and Action Man in both cheaply animated and even cheaper live action form.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

come to think of it this is also a pretty common twist in basically anything that could be called a mystery particularly procedural police shows so i seriously doubt just seeing the trope play out by itself does poo poo to affect peoples perception of the cops

i think prisoners comes the closest to playing it in such a way we could see the cop analog as a bad person rather than just misguided but what a surprise we end up with a secret double twist that ends up making him the hero anyway

i wouldn't compare the main character in burning to a cop though. he was conducting an investigation yeah, but he was also a poor working-class farmer getting totally dominated by a weird narcissistic rich dude, who liked to play little mental games with people as he drifted into and out of their lives stirring poo poo up. whether he was right or not didn't seem to be the thing the film was focusing on

similar story but cast the main character explicitly as a cop? that sounds like some compelling cinema to me

God Hole has issued a correction as of 05:16 on Jul 20, 2020

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Finally done with Cerebus. Woof. The tediousness increases in tandem with the insanity.

At least I got to see the lengths a crank was forced to go to in order to conduct a proper public breakdown before the internet made it easy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

nonathlon posted:

I'm not going to say that you're wrong, I understand it and was perplexed myself as the series headed to an end. But I came around to their viewpoint: whatever happened that night might be unknowable and wouldn't alter what happened afterwards. The afterwards was what they were interested in, what they wanted to explore.

I will grant that having even the suspect be unclear what happened was a bit of a stretch.

In summary: Rectify, cool.

I think Rectify was one of the top 10 shows of the 2010's, and that is a stacked category. I don't regret the time I spent watching Rectify over the years it was airing. It was a beautiful loving show. But I won't recommend it to people and I'll never rewatch it again because I'm still pissed that they never resolved the mystery. I'll never stop being upset about that. What would it have hurt?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

yeah this plot is like 40% of all SVU episodes for instance. also this plot plays out twice in bong joon-ho's memories of murder

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Aglet56 posted:

yeah this plot is like 40% of all SVU episodes for instance. also this plot plays out twice in bong joon-ho's memories of murder

I only remember bits and pieces of SVU from my mom having the TV on all the time for cop shows, but I remember the main character in that one being a raging rear end in a top hat even more so than other cop shows and it would try to justify his behavior even when the show points out he was going after someone innocent.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Zerilan posted:

I only remember bits and pieces of SVU from my mom having the TV on all the time for cop shows, but I remember the main character in that one being a raging rear end in a top hat even more so than other cop shows and it would try to justify his behavior even when the show points out he was going after someone innocent.

Isn't there a plot development at some point that a lot of Stabler's cases are voided because of his brutality? If so, a rare point of self-awareness

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

nonathlon posted:

Isn't there a plot development at some point that a lot of Stabler's cases are voided because of his brutality? If so, a rare point of self-awareness

I think that's the point where I was no longer able to suspend my disbelief enough to just turn my brain off whenever someone put the show on.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Zerilan posted:

this is true and i avoided looking at it until i was watching the show again in like 2016 and i came to the revelation that the only character i really liked was because it was chris meloni and he's hot

still hard to stay off cop shows because an hour procedural is the easiest possible media to consume lol

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Zvahl posted:

this is true and i avoided looking at it until i was watching the show again in like 2016 and i came to the revelation that the only character i really liked was because it was chris meloni and he's hot

still hard to stay off cop shows because an hour procedural is the easiest possible media to consume lol

Really liked him in Happy (still need to watch s2 of that).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
One of the criticisms leveled by Citations Needed against the specific kind of "forensic copaganda" show is that it presents this image of the police using forensic techniques to detect and discover "clues" that they might never have seen before, and/or that they use the techniques to narrow down a list of multiple suspects by eliminating people who couldn't have done the thing that the clues say happened.

The problem is that in reality, what cops end up doing, assuming that they use forensics at all, is to use these things to instead create a pile of circumstantial evidence against the one person that they already suspect did it.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Zerilan posted:

Really liked him in Happy (still need to watch s2 of that).

oh he's great in everything, i just have this compulsion to be drawn towards well-acted scumbag performances, and coming to SVU right after Oz really helped that with Meloni

it's just harder to recognize 'scumbag but cop' as coded in american tv for obvious reasons and so that one kinda slipped by til I thought about it, unlike your jack gleeson joffrey performances and the like which are excellent but telegraphged

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Columbo is the only one I can think of who always goes against the circumstantial evidence

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Matlock, I guess?

Remember when a defense attorney was the good guy?

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Fleetwood posted:

Columbo is the only one I can think of who always goes against the circumstantial evidence

jessica fletcher

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ikanreed posted:

Matlock, I guess?

That's also another thing that was identified in copaganda: we did have a period in television where defense attorneys were the protagonists of TV shows, until the shift in the 90s (especially with the "law" half of Law & Order) to where prosecutors become the good guys.

And that sort of juxtaposition can get really ugly when it portrays defense attorneys as murderer-defending scumbags, or defense attorneys using "legal trickery" to get their clients off (and having that depicted as a bad practice), or even that prosecutors are the ones that are "outgunned" by high-powered defense attorneys (which can sometimes happen when facing large corporations, but lol the New York office is not going to be starved of resources going up against petty criminals or individual actors).

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Aglet56 posted:

Memories of Murder loving rules, the most fascist gently caress up cops

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ikanreed posted:

Matlock, I guess?

Ace Attorney, and that's more based on the Japanese legal system that's even more obviously hilariously lopsided

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

an actual dog posted:

Memories of Murder loving rules, the most fascist gently caress up cops

It's so good. The cops are scumbags and lazy dumbasses basically bullying village idiots into confession.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ace Attorney, and that's more based on the Japanese legal system that's even more obviously hilariously lopsided

The treatment of criminal defense attorneys compared to prosecutors though both by the court system and public perception felt real accurate in those, if particularly heavy-handed at points. Iirc a scene in the first has the crowd openly booing Phoenix after some bad looking evidence is shown and includes a kid asking his mom if defense attorneys are bad people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

what's your theory with Burning? (i assume the 2019 korean film)

that haemi isnt dead she just split because she was being hunted down by loan sharks this extremely plausible possibility is explicitly brought up and in addition to fitting with her character and lifestyle it also explains why no one wants to talk to jongsu about it because for all they know hes working for them

the evidence implicating ben for anything is circumstantial as all hell his weirdass story about burning greenhouses sounds like something he made up to try and impress jongsu at least that was my interpretation of it at the time so my read on jongsus investigation was that he was being a dumb credulous goon trying to prove a shitthatdidnthappen story rather than a reflection on anyones economic circumstances