Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Remember when road bikes were pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
most modern derailleurs are vile looking, tbh

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'm enjoying this everesting record competition between bored cyclists, Bertie just claimed it on a 13% climb.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

cebrail posted:

Remember when road bikes were pretty

I remembers

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Someone had a Vitus for sale here and I had to resist because those were considered some of the most noodly frames ever made and I like 2 mash

It's one of the best looking bikes ever though smh

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I'm enjoying this everesting record competition between bored cyclists, Bertie just claimed it on a 13% climb.

Phil Gaimon just getting increasingly despondent day by day is v funny.

Fuckin Bernal will get it next week just you watch.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I’m watching the women’s virtual Tour, it’s quite weird but I appreciate the chance to be nosy about riders houses.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Are there any indications that the new season is going to go ahead as planned? I'm trying to decide if I get the sports tv package back on (first world problems) but cycling is the only thing I really would be getting it for.
I just can't tell if Europe is stable enough yet. They're not melting down like USA but the sporadic outbreaks and local lockdowns must be causing some concern with the governing bodies.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Are there any indications that the new season is going to go ahead as planned? I'm trying to decide if I get the sports tv package back on (first world problems) but cycling is the only thing I really would be getting it for.
I just can't tell if Europe is stable enough yet. They're not melting down like USA but the sporadic outbreaks and local lockdowns must be causing some concern with the governing bodies.

Strafe Bianche is still on for August 1. I think we are going to get racing at least for a while. If there is an outbreak within a team or the whole peloton though? Lol.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Exactly, like we might get the first couple of races and then they find a few riders have it and that's it until next year.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The Tour will happen no matter what.

Outside of that, no idea. Theres a few places going into a 2nd local lockdown all over Europe now so we could have some weird situation where races get re-routed to avoid a locked down town.

The calendar being so packed makes it inevitable that theres going to be an outbreak. So many riders crossing all over the place.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Will American riders be allowed in Europe?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

Will American riders be allowed in Europe?

If they're not already over there... Likely not.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A TV channel called TV2 here in Denmark has been doing a series of what they call 'Tour De Ja-vu" where they look back on all kinds of stuff that happened in the Tour over the years, mostly with a focus on Danes, but also a bit of other subjects.
So of course the topic of doping has come up a lot, since doping was as big of a part of the Tour back in the 90s as it was.

It's quite interesting to rewatch these things, because they ride in a completely different way compared to today.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Aside from the UCI plans, every race is also dependent on national, regional and local regulations. The city of Hamburg for example just cancelled all 2020 races including the Cyclassics. That can happen for every race including individual stages of stage races.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
That's what makes it so uncertain, but even if 50% of the races go ahead maybe they'd consider the season a success?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Depends on which races. If the Tour happens, everything else is secondary.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Feel sorry for Pedersen really. Imagine winning a shock world championships and not getting to ride in the jersey at all.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
When this year's gets cancelled he can wear it next year

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

serious gaylord posted:

Feel sorry for Pedersen really. Imagine winning a shock world championships and not getting to ride in the jersey at all.

At the same time he (apparently) didn't like the media attention so maybe he dodged a bullet there

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

GCN have launched a race pass which is £20 for the year at the moment, has the grand tours and most of the big races. What's their commentary like?

https://racetv.globalcyclingnetwork.com/

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wow, I’d do that just so I don’t have to deal with NBC Sports picking whatever commentary they can find.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

GCN have launched a race pass which is £20 for the year at the moment, has the grand tours and most of the big races. What's their commentary like?

I subscribe - and will continue to subscribe - to Eurosport. £20 a year (with frequent offers), other sports, and also works in-browser.

NB: Eurosport own GCN so I imagine the end result will be pretty similar either way if you're only after cycling.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Wow, I’d do that just so I don’t have to deal with NBC Sports picking whatever commentary they can find.

Or joining the race in progress at whatever time they decide because they were airing 300 copper fit commercials instead

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I subscribe - and will continue to subscribe - to Eurosport. £20 a year (with frequent offers), other sports, and also works in-browser.

NB: Eurosport own GCN so I imagine the end result will be pretty similar either way if you're only after cycling.

I had no idea Eurosport owned GCN

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I had no idea Eurosport owned GCN

Discovery owns both as subsidiaries and took over GCN in early 2019. I’m not sure if GCN & Eurosport have a lot of crossover yet but I imagine they’ll be blended together more to save costs

Discovery owns a bunch of stuff - “Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Travel Channel, Turbo/Velocity, Animal Planet, and Science Channel, as well as OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network in the U.S., Discovery Kids in Latin America, and Eurosport, the leading provider of locally relevant, premium sports and Home of the Olympic Games across Europe.”

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Or joining the race in progress at whatever time they decide because they were airing 300 copper fit commercials instead

This is every race that isn’t a famous spring classic or grand tour. NBC is simply grabbing the world feed just like everyone else, and that feed often doesn’t start until long after the grand depart.

Also NBC Sports does carry commercial-free streams with the Aussie broadcasters, and they’re great.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Joining for the last few hours (assuming they ride at the expected speed) is pretty standard, yeah. I think itv4 will even do it with tour stages, but they are a weird bunch.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

https://racetv.globalcyclingnetwork.com/

Need to see how this shakes out for US coverage vs. nbc gold and flobikes, especially for olympics next year.

I had been doing the eurosport sub with vpn, but they've locked that poo poo down so hard it's just too much of an annoyance.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
what the gently caress is this bollocks now?

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1285926318102720515?s=20

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He decided he wanted to make a Landrover Defender, called it the Grenadier, and is using his bike team as an advert for it. Pretty simple.

He also pledged to make it in Britain but has shelved that because it's cheaper to grab a mothballed Mercedes plant in France. They might be trying to push the French market.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Edh-67QWkAINt3Y?format=jpg&name=large

Red and black is probably my favorite color combination so I think these are a step-down, but lots of people hate red and black together.

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:

bicievino posted:

Need to see how this shakes out for US coverage vs. nbc gold and flobikes, especially for olympics next year.

I had been doing the eurosport sub with vpn, but they've locked that poo poo down so hard it's just too much of an annoyance.

As of now GCN doesn't have rights to any of the grand tours for the US market so it isn't really a good option. I'll stick with NBC Gold ad-free streams for what they cover and pick up the rest on Eurosport if I can be bothered to.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the issue is that cycling has multiple rights-holders and NBC only deals with the ASO/UCI. You need FloSports to get the RCS (Italian), Flanders Classics, and other races.

the multiple rights-holders thing is a big issue that needs to get fixed but IDK if anyone in cycling really cares too hard about promoting the non-TDF races. In a sane world you'd bring back the World Cup and sell that as a single UCI-promoted classics package to broadcasters, but nobody's been able to cooperate on that yet.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I’m not sure if GCN & Eurosport have a lot of crossover yet

A fair bit. Dan Lloyd continues to be involved with both, Matt Stephens was doing both for a while but is now concentrating on Eurosport.

moctopus posted:

Red and black is probably my favorite color combination

Red and black can look incredibly sharp (the new Tarmac SL7 for example), but the Ineos kit just looked muddy to me rather than having nice sharp colours.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

colonel tom posted:

As of now GCN doesn't have rights to any of the grand tours for the US market so it isn't really a good option. I'll stick with NBC Gold ad-free streams for what they cover and pick up the rest on Eurosport if I can be bothered to.

Yeah but grand tours suck balls to watch so I don't care. I don't have time to watch boring men's racing.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

moctopus posted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Edh-67QWkAINt3Y?format=jpg&name=large

Red and black is probably my favorite color combination so I think these are a step-down, but lots of people hate red and black together.

Looks too much like Alpecin Fenix.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Black and red as a color combo reminds me of an early 20s male’s first apartment.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Black and red as a color combo reminds me of an early 20s male’s first apartment.

Or at least their bathroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Is anyone else having issues trying to sign up for NBC Cycling Gold? Whenever I try to give them my money, they just throw me to a page that wants me to sign up for a reminder for when cycling is back.