Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It wouldn't be the first time. Last year was Help where I first used the Boobaga strategy.

Which is that the M I needed to defeat Omega in 7 Thundagas happened to make the lowest damage roll 8008.

And year before that was maximum punch to defeat Omega with rapidfire on a monk.

Every year I seem to have one stupid high level omega fight in my mad lust for triple crowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Thought about it and I think the Great Sea Trench would be better. Seems more useless if you don't have a time mage or geomancer to make it less annoying. Monk is ok because they need help.

So! Post a pic of you beating the triple goblin jerks to get credit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Triple crown?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Run 7 - Job Fair - Blue Mage / Summoner / Beastmaster / Ninja - Complete!

Well this was fun and nice and easy. Finally a summoner after years and years and years of waiting (even before the job fair, I got it). So much waiting. Nothing was difficult in this run, so I went for a bunch of toxxes.

Bufuman posted:

Oh, that reminds me that I had an idea for a toxx myself.

It's time for :smugwizard: Magical Bufu's Magical :toxx:

* The condition for this one is simple: Obtain every magic spell in one run. White, Black, Time, Blue, Summons, and Songs. Dark Arts are exempt, but if you're a masochist you're welcome to go for it.
* The classes required to actually USE the spells are not mandatory, but obviously Blue Magic will require a Blue Mage or a randomizer run with Learning.
* Donation amount is $5 for every run with all spells, up to a limit of $100. (I wanted it to be more, but I have more bills to pay than I did in previous years thanks to Real Life Bullshit)
* Proof requested: Ideally shots of your magic screens, but for simplicity's sake I'll accept a shot of just the Time magic list to cover White and Black too (since you need to get their final spells to get access to Meteor). For most lists with multiple pages (White/Black/Time just barely require two pages in certain versions IIRC), I'll go by the honor system and accept single shots at the bottom of the list. Blue Magic will require shots of all pages though.

Was glad to get a blue mage for this, but it was expensive! I was out of money constantly whenever new levels of magic became available.

Mustached Demon posted:

I came up with a hopefully fun :toxx::

I'll donate $10 for every run, up to $100, that defeats Fork Tower for no reason other than to beat up rug wizard. So that means no white mage, black mage, mystic knight, or any other job that might benefit from holy or flare that I forgot/don't know about. Post a screenshot of the rug wizard dying along with a link to your player profile.

So get to smacking rug wizard (with magic damage)!

Mustached Demon posted:

Thought about it and I think the Great Sea Trench would be better. Seems more useless if you don't have a time mage or geomancer to make it less annoying. Monk is ok because they need help.

Hopefully this still counts even though completing the above Toxx was technically a reason!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:toxx:

I'm adding another late toxx because gently caress it. $1 for every normal kill of the Tyrannosaur in the Moogle Cave, without exploiting its Undead status. That means no Phoenix Downs, no Healing Items, just a regular fight. The limit will be $25. Quote this or something of mine so it's easier to see, if you please.

Edit: It'll have to be the honor system unless you feel like recording the entire fight I guess.

Took care of this with you on Discord!

palindrome posted:

I'll put up a toxx for charity. Also for a weak page snipe.

A little side-game I like to play is to keep everyone at the same experience level. After all, it's only polite to let Lenna catch up after you clear the pyramid and she rejoins your party, levels behind. But, what if... you finished the game with everyone at the same EXP level? No, really, the exact same number of EXP. How is this possible without hacks? The proof is left as an exercise to the reader.

:toxx: I'll pledge $50 each for the first 2 people ($100 total) that can submit a post neo-exdeath "THE END" party screen where all four party members that have the same amount of EXP. :toxx:

I did it just for the hell of it during an easy run composition, not because I have ocd or obsess over FF numbers.

This was pretty fun. Just needed to get everybody together before going to Ronka, and then once again after Lenna rejoined.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Poque posted:

Run 7 - Job Fair - Blue Mage / Summoner / Beastmaster / Ninja - Complete!
This was pretty fun. Just needed to get everybody together before going to Ronka, and then once again after Lenna rejoined.

Nice going, same experience challenge is open for 1 more.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I have Blue/Red/Ranger/Dragoon and I'm stuck on Omega. Is there any gimmick kill short of just absurdly leveling?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

palindrome posted:

I'll put up a toxx for charity. Also for a weak page snipe.

A little side-game I like to play is to keep everyone at the same experience level. After all, it's only polite to let Lenna catch up after you clear the pyramid and she rejoins your party, levels behind. But, what if... you finished the game with everyone at the same EXP level? No, really, the exact same number of EXP. How is this possible without hacks? The proof is left as an exercise to the reader.

:toxx: I'll pledge $50 each for the first 2 people ($100 total) that can submit a post neo-exdeath "THE END" party screen where all four party members that have the same amount of EXP. :toxx:

I did it just for the hell of it during an easy run composition, not because I have ocd or obsess over FF numbers.

JibberJabberwocky posted:

4zerk run just got past sandworm. Took about 20 tries at level 45. Was going to give up and go back and grind to 50 on mini dragons when I got a lucky one in. I immediately went out saved tented then went back to the library and healed at the pot, then saved in a second slot, then copied my save as a backup, before continuing.

I've done this before, so I feel it's all downhill from here. I might even grind enough to try to get Shinryu. I don't think Omega is doable but I bet you can brute force Shin. I also haven't run away yet so I can go for the 0 power chicken knife.

I have two :toxx:es of my own as well.

1) :toxx: challenge $30 donated for anyone else who completes a 4 zerk run. $40 for a double crown and $60 for any triple crown 4 zerk run, to a maximum of $600
You can just show me your #victory screenshot / link me to your run page (and show me screenshots of any optional boss kills). This one's retroactive so anyone who has ALREADY completed a 4 zerk run can go ahead and let me know and I'll make it happen.

2) :toxx: challenge I will donate $20 to a maximum of $600 for proof of your geomancer hitting Exdeath with Gaia's Bell. Show me your geomancer with it equipped and a pic of the attack and we're golden.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I think I'm done for the year, but the 0 power chicken knife challenge still has 11 spots open

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Nix Panicus posted:

I have Blue/Red/Ranger/Dragoon and I'm stuck on Omega. Is there any gimmick kill short of just absurdly leveling?

There's the 3x reflect ring -> dualcast thundara on party strat to avoid counters, and white wind isn't reflectable so you can still heal up easily. Also just in general, blue mage gives you enough staying power that you can pull out a win at fairly reasonable levels as long as you don't get unlucky with encircles.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Cattail Prophet posted:

There's the 3x reflect ring -> dualcast thundara on party strat to avoid counters, and white wind isn't reflectable so you can still heal up easily. Also just in general, blue mage gives you enough staying power that you can pull out a win at fairly reasonable levels as long as you don't get unlucky with encircles.

I'm on the steam version, 3x reflect ring does not avoid counters

Plus, one reflected atomic ray pretty much heals up from the thundara casts

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nix Panicus posted:

I'm on the steam version

I would not waste your time then, every good strategy is invalidated by that garbage version.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

I would not waste your time then, every good strategy is invalidated by that garbage version.

So next year just get an emulator version then

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Nix Panicus posted:

So next year just get an emulator version then

Yeah. It's nice to have the accessibility of a mobile version but they went backwards in terms of quality of life updates and "patched" some things that were quirks rather than bugs (though there were some bugs!)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I love this.

I think that's 2 left for my toxx?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

apophenium posted:

I'm excited about this Fiesta!!! I registered for a Pure Chaos Risk run. My first risk!

I also want to do a :toxx: challenge:

I'll donate $2 for every victory with Bartz named ACAB, BLM, George, or any related name, up to $100. Let's have fun and help people!

Mustached Demon posted:

Read the thread too late to get a picture of beating up goblins, but I did get Meteor. I cleared all the normal game dungeons. Ignore the spells, I spaced and bought all the level 4 spells despite not being able to use any of them

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mustached Demon posted:

I beat fork to get a second Aegis shield.
I beat this to get your money.

I had already grabbed the 'fourth' lithograph so I don't even have any legendary weapons left worth selling.
For added bonus points, I did not use the lamp, I used zenigage.

e: Ahh, flame ring sells for 25k, so not actually a net loss for team making it rain.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 20, 2020

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Arrrthritis posted:

You're insane. I'm going to add $6 from this one, although I never expected for anyone to go for Omega with goblin punches - so it kind of feels like I should donate more from this.

Seriously though - impressive stuff!
Thanks, I appreciate it!

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

palindrome posted:

Poque posted:

Nice, that's some serious dedication to keep everyone at the same EXP all the way to max level. That must have been thousands of battles of meticulously avoiding death. Or running. What's the best EXP grind spot when going for max? Iron Giants?

The :toxx: is now complete, no further submissions accepted. $100 donated.

palindrome fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 20, 2020

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Alright I finally got to the point in my Advance 5th Job run where I get Krile and see what the fifth job is. I lost Oracle and gained Cannoneer. So this combination looks pointless. You exchange one Advance job for another before you even get the chance to get the first Advance job. All it does is show you a job you won't have, which you could potentially use for planning purposes I guess?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Poque posted:

Yeah. It's nice to have the accessibility of a mobile version but they went backwards in terms of quality of life updates and "patched" some things that were quirks rather than bugs (though there were some bugs!)

My pet theory is that they re-coded the React scripts to trigger based on command rather than effect, which is why Rugwizard gets pissy if you try to bounce weapon spell procs at him.

It's a perfectly fine version overall, with its own plusses and quirks. For instance, Gaia is generally better, Berserkers get their speed glitch fixed finally and autotarget the first target, which is nice and predictable. Ninjas get to do downright silly things with a Dancing Dagger and a Twin Lance. There are some nerfs too, like to Vampire or gravity based Release tricks.

Honestly, the changes to the Rugwizard and Omega are the biggest annoyances (depending on your feelings about the graphical changes, which honestly for my money, turns out mostly a wash), so you're mostly weighing Triple Crowns sans Bards versus convenience.

I had a fun time learning and documenting all the changes and new exploits, and would probably still be running Mobile if my friend hasn't bought me an old DS Lite and FFV cartridge.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I still think Square Enix (or whomever owns the IP) could do a very minimal amount of work and do a re-re-release of FFV. They could include a "fiesta mode" with first party support, do some bug fixes, quality of life improvements, and make some money. How many people would buy the good version on steam? I honestly don't know but the answer is probably very low, so yeah. A community spending $20k a year on donations probably doesn't justify effort spent doing a game release, but it's a fun idea. I guess put microtransactions in it or something, I dunno.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I would straight up spend up to 50 bucks on an actually good version on Steam.

Note that this would require it to basically be a 1:1 for the GBA version, mechanically, plus have some sort of built in fast forward a la FF12.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

palindrome posted:

Nice, that's some serious dedication to keep everyone at the same EXP all the way to max level. That must have been thousands of battles of meticulously avoiding death. Or running. What's the best EXP grind spot when going for max? Iron Giants?

The :toxx: is now complete, no further submissions accepted. $100 donated.

9,999,999 is the max your exp can go, so once you get there a character stops getting exp, so I just had to get them there, not all at the same time.
Fun fact: level 99 requires less than 9,999,999 exp which I wasn't expecting, so I had to keep grinding past level 99 to get there.

It's a little outside the spirit of the toxx, so if one more person finishes the toxx I'll throw in the $50 for it. :toxx:

I tried leveling in a bunch of different places, I didn't want to have to actively think about it while I was doing it, I just wanted to hold some buttons down and fast forward. The candidates that I found were:
1) In the desert portion of the void, if you walk into the sand it pushes you back. I leveled for sandworm using the world 1 desert in the same manner, so this was the first one I thought of
2) Sailing around the world, there are places that you can sail forever without hitting land
3) The next to last floor in the Pyramid of Moore, there is a slide that you can walk up into and it'll push you back down, so you can hold up and move forever.
4) Waterfalls in the cave portion of the void, you can walk up a waterfall and it pushes you back
5) Waterfalls in Istory falls

The random encounters when you are sailing around the world don't give exp, they must have thought of this one.

I wanted to think and interact with the game as little as possible while grinding, so the most important thing was how often I needed to heal and how long it would take me to heal.
Option 1 has Landcrawlers which use Maelstrom, so every few fights I needed to heal someone. There is no sustainable healing option, so after a while you would need to leave to restock on items.
Option 2 only has enemies that don't give exp. Square must have thought of this one
Option 3 had relatively low exp, in the worst case a single lamia queen would give everyone 175 exp, other encounters ranged from about 500-1000 exp. Elixirs can drop and be stolen from Zephyrus, the drop/steal rate vs the damage you take is enough to sustain grinding indefinitely.
Option 4 has enemies that can petrify you and some enemies that just hit pretty hard, so it required frequent healing as well. It does have elixirs as a drop, so that helps with sustainability, but eventually you're going to have to make a supply run.
Option 5 Alchymia can cast death if you kill her frog first, I didn't try this over a long enough timeframe to know how sustainable it is, Alchymia also drops Elixirs and it is a rare steal from Tonberrys.

In the end I always went back to the Pyramid, the exp wasn't great but you could run a comparatively long time between heals and stock up on Elixirs while you're at it.

If you have a reliable automatic healing option one of the others spots is probably better, but for mindless zerker grinds it is hard to beat the Pyramid

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
We had to restart because my laptop broke, which is okay because my kids can do all the grinding and stuff. We were at the part of mergeworld where you can go to the rift.

My one 7 year old just told the other "don't buy weapons, remember? We're monks: ONLY TRUST YOUR FISTS!"

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Do they know the other part, where police will never help you?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Nix Panicus posted:

Do they know the other part, where police will never help you?

No, they've just seen the gang tag over my shoulder.

When they were three one escaped their grandfather's attention and wandered off, police brought them home. So I don't want them to be paranoid of police just yet.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, hey, you also toxxed against this, I did it.

JibberJabberwocky posted:

2) :toxx: challenge I will donate $20 to a maximum of $600 for proof of your geomancer hitting Exdeath with Gaia's Bell. Show me your geomancer with it equipped and a pic of the attack and we're golden.

DalaranJ posted:

I also did the gaia bell toxx after forgetting last time..

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Run 8 - Job Fair - Monk / Black Mage / Ninja / Freelancer - Complete!

This wasn't too bad, but it was intended to be as such so I could complete the All Jobs toxx. Woo! Turboleveling to 61 was interesting to beat Omega, but I had some buffer left over to do so.

ultrafilter posted:

Same :toxx: as last year. Use all twenty regular jobs and I'll donate $20 plus your job fair expenses (up to the total price of one of each regular job). Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon. There is no requirement to do this in exactly five runs, but more than that is a lot of FFV.

Job fair jobs:
Geomancer ($1)
Blue Mage ($4)
Summoner ($4)
Beastmaster ($1)
Ninja ($4)
Monk ($1)
Freelancer ($2)

Great toxx! Ended up doing 8 runs this year and the only job I got more than twice was Geomancer, and that was for the four-geo run.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Jose Valasquez posted:

9,999,999 is the max your exp can go, so once you get there a character stops getting exp, so I just had to get them there, not all at the same time.
Fun fact: level 99 requires less than 9,999,999 exp which I wasn't expecting, so I had to keep grinding past level 99 to get there.

It's a little outside the spirit of the toxx, so if one more person finishes the toxx I'll throw in the $50 for it. :toxx:

I tried leveling in a bunch of different places, I didn't want to have to actively think about it while I was doing it, I just wanted to hold some buttons down and fast forward. The candidates that I found were:
1) In the desert portion of the void, if you walk into the sand it pushes you back. I leveled for sandworm using the world 1 desert in the same manner, so this was the first one I thought of
2) Sailing around the world, there are places that you can sail forever without hitting land
3) The next to last floor in the Pyramid of Moore, there is a slide that you can walk up into and it'll push you back down, so you can hold up and move forever.
4) Waterfalls in the cave portion of the void, you can walk up a waterfall and it pushes you back
5) Waterfalls in Istory falls

The random encounters when you are sailing around the world don't give exp, they must have thought of this one.

I wanted to think and interact with the game as little as possible while grinding, so the most important thing was how often I needed to heal and how long it would take me to heal.
Option 1 has Landcrawlers which use Maelstrom, so every few fights I needed to heal someone. There is no sustainable healing option, so after a while you would need to leave to restock on items.
Option 2 only has enemies that don't give exp. Square must have thought of this one
Option 3 had relatively low exp, in the worst case a single lamia queen would give everyone 175 exp, other encounters ranged from about 500-1000 exp. Elixirs can drop and be stolen from Zephyrus, the drop/steal rate vs the damage you take is enough to sustain grinding indefinitely.
Option 4 has enemies that can petrify you and some enemies that just hit pretty hard, so it required frequent healing as well. It does have elixirs as a drop, so that helps with sustainability, but eventually you're going to have to make a supply run.
Option 5 Alchymia can cast death if you kill her frog first, I didn't try this over a long enough timeframe to know how sustainable it is, Alchymia also drops Elixirs and it is a rare steal from Tonberrys.

In the end I always went back to the Pyramid, the exp wasn't great but you could run a comparatively long time between heals and stock up on Elixirs while you're at it.

If you have a reliable automatic healing option one of the others spots is probably better, but for mindless zerker grinds it is hard to beat the Pyramid

Cool, thanks for the write-up. I figured this was an exp display issue but it is a valid solution to the given problem which means it is acceptable. Plus it's always interesting to me when coders decide to limit something at 9,999,999 instead of going for the max INT they could display. I guess 9s are more satisfying than 4,294,967,296? I don't actually know what the maximum value is for the SNES system, I imagine they used a pair of 16-bit integers to store exp value in FF5? I barely know what I'm talking about.

I've had a few runs where I've done lots of experience grinding but I usually settle on the "Rokna Ruins" area of the rift, near the chains that you can use as elevators, just before the healing pot in the (rift) phantom village. With a completely auto-berserk team I see your point though. If there are no inputs and no healing then it makes sense to maximize the economy of inputs. I'll have to try some of those areas in the future, appreciate the tips.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

palindrome posted:

Cool, thanks for the write-up. I figured this was an exp display issue but it is a valid solution to the given problem which means it is acceptable. Plus it's always interesting to me when coders decide to limit something at 9,999,999 instead of going for the max INT they could display. I guess 9s are more satisfying than 4,294,967,296? I don't actually know what the maximum value is for the SNES system, I imagine they used a pair of 16-bit integers to store exp value in FF5? I barely know what I'm talking about.

Square-Enix loves its 9s. Do 9999 damage at lv 99 with 9999 HP and 999 MP, gain 9999999 Exp.

It's probably an aesthetics thing, as high as you can get in base-10 without adding another digit.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Back in June, I wrote a tool which allowed one to apply multiple patches to Final Fantasy V Advance.

That tool now has a Windows release, so now I can link it here.

It's open-source!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Aerdan posted:

Back in June, I wrote a tool which allowed one to apply multiple patches to Final Fantasy V Advance.

That tool now has a Windows release, so now I can link it here.

It's open-source!

Can confirm, this is easy as gently caress to use. :toot:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Square-Enix loves its 9s. Do 9999 damage at lv 99 with 9999 HP and 999 MP, gain 9999999 Exp.

It's probably an aesthetics thing, as high as you can get in base-10 without adding another digit.
Exactly. It gives the feeling of "maximum" without adding extra digits and having to worry about display space/font size/etc.

Especially for stuff which is effectively already at the real practical limit. Even though character levels are stored in hex and therefore can be measured up to 255, there's no real point in going through the hassle of adding a third digit everywhere the level is displayed when most players are stopping at 50-60.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Jose Valasquez posted:

$20 up to a Max of $500 per run that uses a 0 power Chicken Knife on NED
Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and one of the wielder attacking NED

I'm always up for making my runs as annoying as possible!

(I got so caught up in getting the screenshot I got Meteored and managed to win with half my party dead with a bard and chemist...)

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

:toot:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

oldskool posted:

Charity needs more money IMO

$15 each for the first 10 runners to give me a screenshot in Library of the Ancients B1 with all 4 characters vulnerable to Level 5 Death, in honor of how many times I've blindly bumbled my way near Byblos and gotten nuked back to wherever I last remembered to save because everybody's level 15.

So far I have:
Serene Dragon
Stanfield
blakelmenakle
Man with Hat
PMush Perfect
Poque

As long as I didn't miss anybody, four slots remain!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

oldskool posted:

So far I have:
Serene Dragon
Stanfield
blakelmenakle
Man with Hat
PMush Perfect
Poque

As long as I didn't miss anybody, four slots remain!

Oh, I got summoner at fire. Let me see if I can grind up to 20.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

oldskool posted:

Charity needs more money IMO

$15 each for the first 10 runners to give me a screenshot in Library of the Ancients B1 with all 4 characters vulnerable to Level 5 Death, in honor of how many times I've blindly bumbled my way near Byblos and gotten nuked back to wherever I last remembered to save because everybody's level 15.

What's up.

Did I earn $20?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

To Protect Flavor
Feb 24, 2016
Spent a while and some gold needles to get dualcast on 1 (one) character. Grind wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I've got 3 mages and some hippy poo poo, so I basically had to go for it at least once.