Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

greg the peanut posted:

Headphone jacks on disc drives.. what was the point of them supposed to be?

When you used computer cd-rom drives to play redbook audio in the traditional way, you had to have the audio out connected to your sound sound card to hear it, so maybe the headphone jacks were so you could still play audio cds if you couldn't connect the drive to your sound card for some reason?

It took a suprisingly long time for cd player programs to switch to just reading it as data and then playing it back in software by default.

Edit: Like I think the version of windows media player that came with XP didn't even play back audio cd's as data by default. It supported it, but you had to specifically enable it, and before XP windows wouldn't have had built in support for that, so not being able to hear playback from audio cds because the internal audio cable wasn't connected was a common problem.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I think that analog connection directly from the sound card to the cd drive for redbook audio also alleviated a lot of I/O bottlenecks that would have existed at the time. Playing CD audio seems like a trivial thing now, but, doing that entirely through raw IO to a CD drive that probably didn't have DMA to a sound card that might have even been on an ISA bus as opposed to PCI was a huge overhead back then

and its only a dumb rear end that didn't connect that cable -- you can be sure almost every OEM out there would have done it

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Well I learned something. I remember connecting the cable inside the case (to the audio card), but I sure as poo poo never used the headphone jack.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
you can use it as an aux out for your audio cds

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
funny tech poo poo: putting a video game cd in your cd player and hearing the game soundtrack

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Jabor posted:

funny tech poo poo: putting a video game cd in your cd player and hearing the game soundtrack

This is a PlayStation black disc.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

its why i had the psx game n2o, the rest of the cd was just crystal method's vegas
still have it on a shelf here for some reason

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

leper khan posted:

This is a PlayStation black disc.

a lot of ps1 games had redbook audio on them.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I remember some lovely adventure game CD that had some demo tracks of the voice actors' band on it :allears: learned about it in another game that had the feature of automatically playing your audio CDs as background music

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jabor posted:

I'd installed Civilization II on the hard-disk drive so I didn't need the CD-ROM in the drive while playing, but if there was one in there with music tracks on it, it would play them without any checking for which disc it was.

So I once accidentally played Civ II with background music from Interstate 76. It wasn't a bad experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8MElGyS7vE

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'd installed Civilization II on the hard-disk drive so I didn't need the CD-ROM in the drive while playing, but if there was one in there with music tracks on it, it would play them without any checking for which disc it was.

So I once accidentally played Civ II with background music from Interstate 76. It wasn't a bad experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8MElGyS7vE
Half-Life Uplink did this too

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Quake shareware also. SMDH if you don’t hear Odelay every time you see Q1 screenshots.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jabor posted:

lol I remember putting the grand theft auto CD in the stereo in my mum's car

also the banging quake 2 soundtrack

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

also the banging quake 2 soundtrack

i was mad for a little at doom 2016's score for cribbing so much from quake 2, which was by far my favorite 'metal' game soundtrack, but in the end i warmed up to mick gordon

also the interstate '76 soundtrack was, like, pivotal to developing my appreciation of funk. a good game

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

rip if u had a cd player that tried to play track 1

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

makes me think of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_Mode_CD

audio AND data :eyepop:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
bitboys :xd:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

the n-gage

actually i had two of them

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Michaellaneous posted:

the n-gage

surprised there isn't a sidetalkers gangtag

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

psiox posted:

once Jeffy is in charge

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Michaellaneous posted:

the n-gage

Nokia 3650 krew. it could run the ngage games with just slightly less shame

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

fury3 worked this way

ahhhhh fury3

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

p'zone phone

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SideTacin

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

psiox posted:

the guy playing NGAGE while inhaling sports car exhaust

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Carthag Tuek posted:

p'zone phone

/pizza

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

eat pepperoni, m'lord

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A friend has used Ngages for years but has never played a game on one. He has a stockpile of them because they're liable to break.

He also wears a purple velvet jacket all the time so its just a thing I guess.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Agile Vector posted:

eat pepperoni, m'lord

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

3D Megadoodoo posted:

A friend has used Ngages for years but has never played a game on one. He has a stockpile of them because they're liable to break.

strong hel looks vibes

mystes
May 31, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Can you even still use them? I think they predated 3g.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mystes posted:

Can you even still use them? I think they predated 3g.

wät

What does it matter if they predate 3g. They don't predate GSM.

mystes
May 31, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

wät

What does it matter if they predate 3g. They don't predate GSM.
I thought it wasn't possible to use pre-3g phones anymore but maybe I'm wrong? Anyway they will stop working when carriers only support VoLTE in the near future.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mystes posted:

I thought it wasn't possible to use pre-3g phones anymore but maybe I'm wrong? Anyway they will stop working when carriers only support VoLTE in the near future.

GSM is by far the most wide-spread tech and there's no indication that 2G is going away in countries with consumer protections and human rights.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They've shut down 3G and reverted to 2G in Norway.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
In the US it's the opposite. AT&T shut down 2G in 2017, and T-Mobile plans to do so by the end of this year. 3G is being shut down too, AT&T by February 2022 and T-Mobile hasn't announced a date but likely will do so around the same time. The CDMA networks (Verizon and Sprint, the latter of which will just disappear in a few years due to merging with T-Mobile) are on a similar timeline for their 2G/3G shutdowns. LTE is the new baseline for cell service in the US.

EDIT: Also, having 2G enabled on your phone is a bad idea since its crypto is crapto and it has no means to authenticate towers making Stingray-style attacks trivial.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 31, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yes wrote a song for the game homeworld

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

mdk’s end credits sequence was a music video for an obscure French band

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I also had an N-gage. It was actually pretty sweet...

There was this release: https://archive.org/details/N-Gage_Game_Library
But apparently there is no N-gage emulator? I might have even played some Pathway to Glory if it were possible without the hardware...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just remembered that I really loved Hyperspace Delivery Boy on........some form of PDA? I wonder what ever became of that game?

e: oh turns out I was unknowingly being made John Romero’s bitch the entire time https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperspace_Delivery_Boy!

double edit: wow if you’re looking for ancient weird handheld stuff this appears to be the Mecca https://www.oldhandhelds.com

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 1, 2020