Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

AxeManiac posted:

They can still shoot you with great accuracy when you shoot off their heads

I was being literal, you can stealth-knockout them with the Strand just like you can with MULEs :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

CJacobs posted:

I was being literal, you can stealth-knockout them with the Strand just like you can with MULEs :ssh:

i usually chose to stealth knock them out with explosive grenades

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I snatched up guns and wasted any skeletons I ran into. Your odradek will point towards the Combat Veteran, I didn't run into skeletons unless I went towards him but I played on normal and have no idea if they get more strategic or aggressive on hard. Other people have said you can use your strand to insta-kill them if you can get behind them.

Combat veteran spoiler: I wasn't a fan of the first combat zone but I actually really liked the WW2 and Vietnam era levels. It helped that I knew what I was supposed to do, I spent like 5 minutes trying to exit the first area and looking for any kind of trigger/button prompt before I decided to try using the guns lying around to shoot things. I liked how each environment was very different. The trenches are narrow and claustrophobic, the bombed city is open with random bits of cover or buildings to work around, and the forest in Vietnam is full of grass and trees to try and hide in. By the third combat nightmare I was pumped to go beat up Mads Mikkelsen.

I loved the Vietnam level especially. Hiding in the tall grass picking off the skeletons one at a time like the Predator.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rabidsquid posted:

i usually chose to stealth knock them out with explosive grenades

You say that, but have you seen the animation for doing a stealth takedown on them? It's pretty drat rad.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I'm really digging the cooperative road building. When I started in Central Region there was nothing. Now the entire place has a nice smooth road to drive on.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 20, 2020

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's no way for two people to play on the same server is there?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not really. The most you can do is form a Strand Contract with a player you've connected with, basically 'favoriting' that player so their structures will appear in your game more often.

Technically there IS a way to add specific people to your Bridge Links but it's pretty unlikely: When you die, you will see the bodies of other people who have died recently floating around in the Seam, and you can float up to them and touch them to add em to your Bridge Links permanently. You could hypothetically get together with a friend and intentionally die in the same spot, which might plop their body in the Seam in your world and vice versa. You also could hypothetically have your friend stick some cargo or supplies in a specific share locker at a facility, and if it appears for you and you take it then it'll add you to each others' Bridge Links.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 20, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Pawn 17 posted:

I'm really digging the cooperative road building. When I started in Central Region there was nothing. Now the entire place has a nice smooth road to drive on.

Spent most of yesterday completing every auto-paver on the map, including a few by the craftsman which don't seem to actually go anywhere. Not sure if that's the most efficient way of doing things since they seem to (slowly) degrade from timefall, but this game draws out the completionist in me. Also been trying to 5-star everyone as fast as possible even though the stars don't seem to actually do anything. Got everyone in the first zone, second one is taking a bit longer since nobody had much to deliver to either the film director or cosplayer. Probably just need to wait for orders to refresh.

Is there any point in having lethal weapons outside the Combat Veteran fight? Mules can be a pain in the rear end but I assume I'll just get a game over or something if I run into their camp and start shooting them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Spent most of yesterday completing every auto-paver on the map, including a few by the craftsman which don't seem to actually go anywhere. Not sure if that's the most efficient way of doing things since they seem to (slowly) degrade from timefall, but this game draws out the completionist in me. Also been trying to 5-star everyone as fast as possible even though the stars don't seem to actually do anything. Got everyone in the first zone, second one is taking a bit longer since nobody had much to deliver to either the film director or cosplayer. Probably just need to wait for orders to refresh.

Is there any point in having lethal weapons outside the Combat Veteran fight? Mules can be a pain in the rear end but I assume I'll just get a game over or something if I run into their camp and start shooting them.

Roads are ridiculously durable so you don’t really have to worry about them falling apart once they’re built.

5-starred preppers will have a pretty high random chance of having a gift for you every time you complete a delivery to them, either an item or resources, in addition to special items or blueprints you may have gotten from them at a lower relationship level.

Lethal weapons aren’t a game over but they generally cause more problems than they solve. They are useful against BTs in combination with other items you already have.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You don't automatically get a game over. Remember the early mission of taking the body to the incinerator? That's what you have to do.

Lethal weapons can be good against BTs if you fire them through a blood cloud.

Edit: Not putting behind spoilers since it's in the varoius item descriptions.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 20, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lethal weapons can be non-lethal if you go for the legs to stumble and then run up to punch, which results in a sweet Popeye style cartoon man action punch. You really, really shouldn't do it though. Not worth the risk or cruelty!

Use them to finish off BTs after softening them up with a blood grenade to make em all red colored instead.

Edit: also, lv 1 lethal weapons are loud and make your BB upset. Lv 2 of each gun adds a silencer, even the non lethal ones.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 20, 2020

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'm playing through this again on PC and I'm having a weird problem where it's like the mouse has a deadzone? Like when I move the mouse it won't move the camera until I've traveled a bit. It's not quite lag because it stops when I stop, it just doesn't go when I go. Keyboard controls go instantly when I touch them. It's just the mouse/camera behaving like this.

My friend thinks it's related to graphics/graphic lag. I'm on a 2060 and I've tried every combination of graphics settings low-high and DLSS on/off and it still happens so I don't think it's that.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Caved and bought the game finally last night. Just up to the point where I have a bike and have had to deal with a few mules either by parry-> take downs or just bike ramming them. Virtual package delivery a lot more fun than I expected it to be.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CJacobs posted:

Lethal weapons can be non-lethal if you go for the legs to stumble and then run up to punch, which results in a sweet Popeye style cartoon man action punch. You really, really shouldn't do it though. Not worth the risk or cruelty!

The camp outside the film director inconvenienced my by like, 10 minutes once. Unacceptable. If they do it again they're all ending up in the tar pit.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

CJacobs posted:

You say that, but have you seen the animation for doing a stealth takedown on them? It's pretty drat rad.

Time to replay that level. Glad I waited until PC to 5 star everything too

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, I really wish that order 65 was a cutscene instead of, like, 3-4 back-to-back janky boss fights.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Are some of these online thingies populated from play-station or did tons of people just populate some shards heavily in first few days. I also wonder if like, you enter a shard with signs and stuff with 50-400 freaking likes, throwing your own down seems as if throwing it down to a "dead zone" in some way? Throwing stuff down in seemingly naked/fresh areas seems to get more responses.

Anyway, what I'm really wondering is why nobody but NPCs be liking my bridge or ladders.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
why one thing or another turns out to be a viral sensation in the world of DS makes no sense other than something being put in a clearly convenient place very early. It also seems to have a snowball effect where if something is popular it shows up in more peoples games. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The one I really didn't get was the ladder I put by the entrance to the Collector to reach his bunker from the surface. Nobody liked it ever, which seemed less about players' actual opinions and more about whether it was ever shared with any other players.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That's one that a lot of people do so I think it's pretty diluted as a shared item

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I feel like my top liked things were upgraded recharging stations or Timefall shelters at random spots on non-road paths or sort of near bunkers. I think those are not common enough that they actually get into peoples games and the act of stopping at one and staying there for a second encourages people to actually hit the like button.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So I couldn't play for 2 days or so and when I logged back in today I got 50k likes from people using my roads. Build those highways if you want likes people, for real.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I feel like my top liked things were upgraded recharging stations or Timefall shelters at random spots on non-road paths or sort of near bunkers. I think those are not common enough that they actually get into peoples games and the act of stopping at one and staying there for a second encourages people to actually hit the like button.

Is there a way to actually check for sure? Those stats would be interesting to see. I have no idea because Likes I got for roads and zip line anchors overshadowed everything else.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I suspect roads might be gamed since they're obviously very common and very popular, like there might be a sort of likes/attribution sharing system going on behind the scenes there that's more controlled and rationed than stuff you can place anywhere. If roads worked like everything else then I think everyone would have a full set like immediately after starting them.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I suspect roads might be gamed since they're obviously very common and very popular, like there might be a sort of likes/attribution sharing system going on behind the scenes there that's more controlled and rationed than stuff you can place anywhere. If roads worked like everything else then I think everyone would have a full set like immediately after starting them.

I haven't put down much of anything that wasn't forced by a mission, and mainly did roads and got a ton of likes. I don't know if anyone has bothered to verify if they are organic or just planned/random.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

This game is really amazing but I wish I could turn on the music whenever I want while I'm hiking out there.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Lou Takki posted:

This game is really amazing but I wish I could turn on the music whenever I want while I'm hiking out there.

I would have agreed with here but there are so many moments in the game when the sound-track works as an almost break-through at defining moments I would not at all be surprised if the game offered you some kind of post-story music player you can attach to your suit

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Yeah, when the music does kick in it's very impactful.

I'm super impressed about everything with this game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This is a random thought, but props to the marketing team for putting reviews of less than 10/10 on the posters/ads for the game. So many games only feature perfect scores and it feels a bit pointless, or like they're just showing off. But Death Stranding for example included that 85/100 from PC Gamer, which was a quite critical but very fair review. Being brave enough to list reviews that address the flaws in your product demonstrates confidence that I think is respectable.

Lest we forget the sins of our forefathers

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’m really glad the game seems to be getting a much warmer reception on PC. It helps that the port is fantastic but I’ve generally found that audience to be much more receptive to games that aren’t necessarily for everyone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What's that movie where the poster has a 3 star rating placed in between two characters so you just assume it's a higher rating that has been cut off by the foreground? I respect the combined ballsiness/insecurity of that move.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Lobok posted:

What's that movie where the poster has a 3 star rating placed in between two characters so you just assume it's a higher rating that has been cut off by the foreground? I respect the combined ballsiness/insecurity of that move.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/9/9/9288009/legend-movie-poster-advertising-is-evil

Not even three stars.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Pirate Jet posted:

I’m really glad the game seems to be getting a much warmer reception on PC. It helps that the port is fantastic but I’ve generally found that audience to be much more receptive to games that aren’t necessarily for everyone.

I could be talking bullshit here but I think a lot of PS4 players might have snapped it up on hype or word-of-mouth and without sounding like a tosser it's a fairly high brow videogame that could easily put people off.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

lmfao that's brilliant

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Advertisers can be just the most insidious people it's awesome

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Every time I start to play this game it's suddenly two or more hours later, and every time I have a plan for something I want to do in it next, I get strung up on other things and then never get to what I wanted to do in the first place.

It's amazing and I have not seen a game do that to me since RimWorld and Factorio, and those are very different games from this.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lou Takki posted:

Yeah, when the music does kick in it's very impactful.

I'm super impressed about everything with this game.

The very first delivery where you go to the incinerator, when that Bones song kicks in it's probably my favorite time the music does that out of the whole game. It really really sets a tone for the world at large at the very beginning of the game with that.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Intel&Sebastian posted:

i put a zipline right outside of the distribution center of lake knot city, it was the beginning of my zip line hub, and that thing got over 100k likes in roughly a week. so i am guessing it became the default zip line for a lot of people and that facility is a pretty good central base starting from when you unlock it in chapter 3 until you get done playing the game basically.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I just started trying Premium deliveries and they give me the good brain chemicals but its weird that Time Sensitive deliveries can be extremely challenging but every other category is just "yeah just don't drop anything on the way there" "ok maybe you can drop it a little, as a treat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Trying to avoid spoilers, but is there anything I should know before I get too deep into it? When do I stop dealing with NPC packages and start delivering real player dropped packages, when will vehicles and stuff start showing up? Does the game ever open up? I'd like to know as much about the game mechanically without spoiling anything please.