Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The weirdest argument I've seen is that this game has completely unoriginal bosses because "seriously a boss is colored pencils?" but like...

Name one other game where you fight a case of colored pencils or a tape dispenser.

Keep in mind this is also a series where one of the most beloved boss fights is against a steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Troy Queef posted:

Keep in mind this is also a series where one of the most beloved boss fights is against a steak.

I hosed that up a couple of times, cooking that steak was tough.

Color Splash was alright, although I hated rock, paper, scissors. It got so boring after a while.

One thing I can appreciate about Origami King so far is having puzzles based around forcing you to run out of confetti. Like in the Tower before the Colored Pencil boas, you are forced to run out of confetti then have to figure out how to get more before you can progress. Clever, there was nothing like that in Color Splash. There were also tons and tons of spots you needed to color that were really difficult to discern which was just bad design. Thankfully they fixed that issue with this one.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Natural 20 posted:

I think the most criminal thing about the game is that it's just boring.

Every combat is either "Oh this is trivial" or "I have no loving idea how to even begin with this," with very little in between in terms of puzzle. In terms of actual combat since nothing hits hard and you've got a gigantic pool of HP as well as unlimited money for a billion fire flowers so it's not as if beating the puzzle matters anyway. They've somehow managed to make action commands boring as well! There are only two in the game, hammer and jump and they're both "Hit A at the right time" challenges. Part of the reason the original turn based games didn't get boring was that they were ready to play with their action commands and make them different for the kind of moves you were using.

not that I don't disagree with your overall point (I do wish there was a little more variety in the action commands) but the attack items also have action commands. They don't tell you that but I hit A out of instinct before firing a fireball and I got an "Excellent".

mandatory lesbian posted:

The boss fight is so fun that I can't honestly give a gently caress that it's "just" a colored pencil case.

Yeah all of the streamer bosses are "just" office supplies but it's like when you were playing as a kid with whatever you had handy and had to give them really big outsized personalities to match. Honestly I sort of wish they had withheld those bosses and showed off the Vellumentals instead because while giant fearsome origami beasts are really cool, the surprise of the final bosses being Office Supplies after all of the yelling at you they do would have been hilarious.

Der Shovel posted:

Well that's good to know, no point in hoarding coins then.

But what the hell should I be using them on? I've got all the charms that are unlocked so far, I'm lugging around a ton of weapons and I still have 23000 coins.

I bought all of the accessories ASAP and ran out of coins right as I entered Shroom City because the accessory store has three fairly expensive ones. I've also bought all of the collectables that I've seen, which hasn't been a whole lot but they are pretty expensive (the one in Shogun Studios is like 10k!)

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Keep an eye out on notications, I picked up most of my accessories around Shroom city time as they were 80% off.

You can check notifications on the main/left most pause screen page.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also if you're coin rich and lazy, the toads do a good job solving harder battle puzzles when you can't be assed.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Vookatos posted:

I'm so loving happy about that. One thing I never understood about RPGs is that they just keep tormenting you with one theme, often in games that are 50+ hours long. Original MOTHER had plenty, and sequels (on SNES and loving GBA of all things) had almost a hundred combined!

Like Ampp said, it's really a case of not really having the production values to make that many a lot of the time. And expecting that many variations Origami King has for every game is nuts. (A lot of RPGs that even have multiple normal battle themes don't have as many versions as OK or the Mother series does. Like maybe 1 or 2 at most.) Though like, just 1 or 2 more extra normal battle themes would help a lot yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cm4zNQD5gY

This one is probably my favorite version, and that bassline is so good.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I justed started it up and it's already dripping with charm. :allears:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
This isn't a question I posed to the thread but I was wondering if there was ever a point to not just spam 1000-Fold Arms in boss battles.

I got a somewhat rude answer to that question! :V

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope they release the soundtrack somewhere

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, the game shows showcases early on that you can't blindly spam the magic circles, as I too have learned. Fortunately the game doesn't overly punish you for being a bit experimental in boss fights.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Al-Saqr posted:

Water volumental boss fight is pretty cool you guys. The system is now reaching quite a bit of strategy into it, you have olivias volumental summons, 1000 fold attacks, extra move/attack blocks, chests, etc. it’s proving to be quite a lot to think about on the fly which I enjoy quite a bit!

Yeah I just got to this point and I’m loving the game. And That first boss fight was really fun.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

LiefKatano posted:

This isn't a question I posed to the thread but I was wondering if there was ever a point to not just spam 1000-Fold Arms in boss battles.

I got a somewhat rude answer to that question! :V

The second Vellumental clowned me when I tried to use that or the earth velljmental attack while it was flying. I wish I had done better in that fight...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The green streamer boss probably has a easier way of doing it but holy poo poo is it tense. Spoilers for the stuff around it but the cut out soldiers genuinely creeped me the hell out and I kinda loved it. For whatever reason they made me think of TTYD's shadow queen with how unnatural they are when moving and them just being so tall and jerky.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The second Vellumental clowned me when I tried to use that or the earth velljmental attack while it was flying. I wish I had done better in that fight...

Good news. Check out the battle lab. You can rematch bosses there.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Araxxor posted:

Good news. Check out the battle lab. You can rematch bosses there.

Do you get something for doing this? I knew that but I’m not going to do it just to do better this time.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Apparently clearing everything gets a reward. Probably a trophy or a collectible.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is it possible to be both satisfied and let down by a finale to a game.

Endgame/Final Boss spoilers
It dropped all the creepy cutout soldiers right away which I guess was just Scissors doing. Never explained what the deal with the 1,000fold arms was either and the final boss being random gimmicks was... certainly a choice. I had fun but it felt like such a departure from the rest of the game that I was kind of waiting for one last ring boss fight that never came.

Then it pulled a Sticker Star for a third time in a goddamn row where it kills off the partner character and honestly I'm just sick of it at this point. I like Olivia a lot but they already killed Kirsti. They killed Huey. Stop introducing these side characters then killing them in the finale.

I really liked it, Origami Bowser was insanely adorable and gimmicks were fine- it's just kinda hard to describe how I feel when it literally ends with a QTE battle.

Good game, stumbles at the ending but aside from my minor gripes I'm completely satisfied.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

My hot take is that I've increasingly been wondering whether a traditional level system is really the necessary or correct choice in a lot of rpg's lately given how linear they tend to be: playing ffvii remake I wondered what the point of levels was beyond throwing off the difficulty balance one way or the other if you deliberately went out of your way to do so.

I've been in the camp that was unhappy paper mario has been moving away from traditional rpg stuff, but since at this point the majority of the series falls into that category I've accepted it and am willing to see if it's a smart decision.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
EXP's main worth is as a constant "reward" for engaging in battle. Money varies in usefulness (in most RPGs I feel like it's not useful at all, as it feels like you have enough excess to get whatever you need without much worry; in this one... it kinda varies?), but EXP as a general rule always gets you ever so much closer to getting bigger numbers.

Just check how many people have been saying that battles don't really feel worthwhile in this game in this thread. It's way worse on Twitter!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stuff gets INSANELY expensive in the green streamer area and a lot of big trophies need like 20k to afford so if you want to collect everything you gotta keep that in mind.

That said in the final dungeon I started avoiding encounters because 'there's no more shops here and I wanna see what the final boss and ending is'. I still got into a number of fights anyway though- the music is absolutely incredible for the entire last 'chapter'. Like it's the first time I wanted to see who composed it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

LiefKatano posted:

EXP's main worth is as a constant "reward" for engaging in battle. Money varies in usefulness (in most RPGs I feel like it's not useful at all, as it feels like you have enough excess to get whatever you need without much worry; in this one... it kinda varies?), but EXP as a general rule always gets you ever so much closer to getting bigger numbers.

Just check how many people have been saying that battles don't really feel worthwhile in this game in this thread. It's way worse on Twitter!

Yeah, a constant reward for battles is useful, but it doesn't have to be exp. I already feel like random encounters are a waste of time in other JRPG'S when I am getting exp.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Shogun studios loving rules, please buy the royalty pass for the constant fanfare confetti and “watch out we got royalty here” loooolll

God the way this game forces a smile out of you with little touches like a Disney-sing-along text bubble segment, the music being constantly incredible and the battle music changing and being consistently wonderful. gently caress me this games great it’s exactly the kind of nice Disney storybook movie I needed right now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, a constant reward for battles is useful, but it doesn't have to be exp. I already feel like random encounters are a waste of time in other JRPG'S when I am getting exp.

I generally feel this way about EXP in open world games, which are increasingly featuring EXP and level systems that just feel really arbitrary and could've been replaced with more interesting, thematic progression systems.

But I think they're sticking around for now because a) it's a consistent, predictable reward for battles and quests, and b) players like it when Number Go Up. Even when it's ultimately useless because enemies' numbers keep up with yours, it's still satisfying to see your numbers go up because it makes it look like you're getting stronger.

There are other ways to do that, of course. Lots of games let you make Number Go Up through gear, collectibles, or a bunch of other things that have nothing to do with EXP. EXP and levels are just the easiest, most straightforward way to work in a system like that--the sort of proven standard way to do it--so it's really popular. That's not to say it never serves any purpose (I love JRPGs a lot) but it's definitely shoehorned into places where it doesn't belong, including some turn-based RPGs.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

This game really is gorgeous.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Diamond Island is located underwater, in a section of empty ocean. It's dead center of the four islands, you just have to dive

Yes, I did zigzag across the entire ocean for an hour before finally googling this.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I would agree that leveling up is an increasingly outdated way to reward players, but the problem CS and SS face is that they really don’t reward players AT ALL. Coins you don’t need and more consumable attacks is not a good reward for doing fights and has no directional progression. While I think the combat is fine enough for what it is trying to do there is no reason to engage with it all because there is no method of progression, nothing to work towards. Games to certain extent need either a carrot or a stick for the player but CS and SS have no carrot and a stick that more like a limp twig that is actively trying not to hit you.

That said some people are self-motivated enough and like the battle system and writing enough that they like those games, which good for them, but I feel as though a lot people need incentive to keep playing through a game and while CS does a better job than SS there is still a big problem there.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RPGs do indeed need some sort of progression mechanic, be it EXP/levels, stat boosts, money, etc. Random battles need to have some sort of concrete incentive to fight them after all, and if there isn't, what's the point? Not to mention, levels provide a good benchmark for players and developers alike, give some character customization potential (if applicable, naturally), and scratch that lizard brain desire to Increase Number. There are some pretty clever ways to define character growth in an RPG, but you can't just forgo it entirely or you end up with Sticker Star :v:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That was not the problem with sticker star, it was actually literally everything else about it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I played Sticker Star a pretty good ways in. I cannot for the life of me remember anything that actually happens in that game. Or any of the places you visit. That game is just a blank spot in my memory.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Personally I loved the Desk Fan from Color Splash's cameo in Origimi King.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

I just finished the red streamer, so far the boss system is really good, I got a little confused at first when I first fought the Vollumental but after practicing it a couple times it at the VR battle practice room it became a lot more understandable, I will say though, I kinda wish they made opening the chests in a boss battle different, because you’re already in mid stride when you open them so it’s impossible to plan to take what’s in the chest afterwards since the rings reset after each turn.

That's not how they work. What's in the chests are active for a while after opening them. You need to know this for the Fire Vellumental fight if you want to clear it quickly without Mario taking too much damage, as the Water Vellumental panel is only available once you open a chest.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

Actually what they really should do is take this engine and format, toss all of the RPG mechanics and turn it into Paper Zelda. This game already takes a lot of cues from BotW and the "silent hero travels around with chatty fairy occasionally giving him advice" is very Ocarina of Time. Switch out the Hammer for a sword, add a few more traversal mechanics like a Hookshot or some Pegasus Boots and you've got Paper Link! I don't think any of the previous formats could have done a Zelda game (unless they too were turn-based, which doesn't seem very Zelda to me IMO) but you could definitely make everything you need with this one.

How would throwing out RPG mechanics get it closer to Zelda? Zelda has basically always been an (action) RPG series, just with equipment upgrades over skill unlocks and stat increases mostly being about health.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Bofast posted:

How would throwing out RPG mechanics get it closer to Zelda? Zelda has basically always been an (action) RPG series, just with equipment upgrades over skill unlocks and stat increases mostly being about health.

Really if you think about it all Mario games are RPGs, since they all have you play the role of Mario.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bofast posted:

The turn-based mechanics

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I remember fighting about whether Zelda is an RPG or not 20 years ago and at this point I think I'll always be on the "it's an RPG side"

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Feel like in 10-15 years we're gonna get a lot of kids talking how this game traumatized them. Jesus.
rip bobby
Also, the desert is loving fantastic so far. Town is a complete sensory overload!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bofast posted:

The term RPG isn't all that exact, really -- I'd call Zelda an action RPG too, but here we're talking about turn-based battles and level-ups and building a character. Maybe JRPG is a better descriptor? Honestly, I don't care if they ever bring back those mechanics, though, I just wish they'd be less shallow about it whichever way they go. I am only just past the red streamer, but I can already see how few accessories there are, and the weapons are only temporary, and the HP UPs seem to be entirely story-limited... It's fine if they don't want to do stats and levels anymore, but then give me big chunky weapon upgrades that cost a lot of gold, or lots of different accessories to change up battles, and an actual reward for doing random battles.

I am not particularly loving the battle system either -- it's not awful, but it's not a ton of fun either, and my brain doesn't seem very good at figuring out what a mess of enemies is supposed to look like so I'm constantly feeling like I've "failed" when I just can't figure out the right way to line everything up. I don't actually mind that they went with a puzzling system for battles, I'm just not crazy about the particular type of puzzle they chose.

Having wrote all that I'm surprised I'm enjoying the game so much, I actually can't wait to play it once I finish work. Everything else is really polished and the characters are fun and the worlds are gorgeous and I like all the out-of-combat gameplay, so I guess having a few meh puzzles to break all that up isn't the worst thing.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
One thing that helped me immensely was when I realized I could press B to cancel any ring changes. Don’t be afraid to experiment!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I am pretty sure I like this game more than the original Paper Mario. I think without nostalgia it is genuinely a more enjoyable game with more charming writing and characters and way better boss fights for the most part.

Not as fun as TTYD but mostly due to ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Paper Mario 64 is in this odd place where I keep thinking 'was it really as good as I remember', debating it in my head a good deal, then deciding 'yeah probably.'

I really could use another play through of it because it really does have a lot of charm even in memories, but I'm not sure how much of that is carried by the art style and unique designs.

E: Btw there's a achievement in this game and a special message you get if you beat the entire thing without equipping any accessories. Just wanted to let you know that to drive you crazy.