Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Standing farther back and using a telephoto lens will make things look closer and can be misleading. Whether this should pedantically be called "lens compression" or "perspective compression" or whatever does not affect this,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
that's how a dolly zoom works. you zoom the camera while also moving it closer or further away from the subject so that the subject remains the same size, and the world seems to stretch or compress around it

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
who gives a gently caress idiots are flooding beaches in ma because it's been in the 90s this weekend

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mystes posted:

Standing farther back and using a telephoto lens will make things look closer and can be misleading. Whether this should pedantically be called "lens compression" or "perspective compression" or whatever does not affect this,
i’m sorry i did not mean to be pedantic i was a wee bit deep in my doinks earlier and did not really understand properly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
anything that’s not what our eyes normally are is gonna be a bit hosed up

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

anything that’s not what our eyes normally are is gonna be a bit hosed up
:hmmyes:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://youtu.be/q1n2DR6H7mk

watched this on the weekend, a great wee insight into high quality lenses but also the difference between still and cinema

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i’m sorry i did not mean to be pedantic i

oh that's my cue.

ShadowHawk posted:

It looks like a zoom lens,

a zoom lens is a lens with a variable focal length. the lens could be designed to capture a range of wide or narrow angles of view; it doesn't necessarily mean the subject is magnified. there are wide-angle zooms where even the "zoomed-in" end of the range is still wider than normal, and the "zoomed-out" end is nearly a fisheye view. you mean a long lens.

mystes posted:

Standing farther back and using a telephoto lens

a telephoto lens is one that uses the telephoto optical group: a converging lens followed by a diverging lens, which has the effect of projecting the same image as a long-focal-length lens in a shorter physical distance. it is commonly used to make long high-magnification lenses shorter and lighter, but any lens can theoretically be designed with a telephoto group and indeed many wide-angle lenses use one. you mean a long lens.

Jabor posted:

that's how a dolly zoom works. you zoom the camera while also moving it closer or further away from the subject so that the subject remains the same size, and the world seems to stretch or compress around it

this is correct, though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i finally had to put gas in the truck

208 miles between march 5th and today.

wow

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

your hurting the oil industry, jonny

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
obama is weeping at your lack of consumption

he proudly doubled domestic petrochemical extraction, how dare you

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its all good, the supermoto has a 3 drips a day oil leak. not only am i supporting obama's oil industry but i'm putting it back in the ground so palin can drill for it later

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
that’s the spirit :911:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

obama is weeping at your lack of consumption

he proudly doubled domestic petrochemical extraction, how dare you

but at least he believed in climate change

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jabor posted:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

big american reopening mood

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Uptime Sinclair posted:

we’re gonna need a bugger morgue.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Uptime Sinclair posted:

President Beep posted:

we’re gonna need a bugger morgue.

lol

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
today in Friendship Tech Support:

helped 3 different people root their Pelotons so they can do Zoom calls and Netflix from them.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jimmy Carter posted:

helped 3 different people root their Pelotons so they can do Zoom calls and Netflix from them.

how heavy is a peloton and how far did you have to carry them?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jimmy Carter posted:

*australian voice* they did WHAT to their Peloton?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao wait do pelotons run android?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

carry on then posted:

lmao wait do pelotons run android?

it's my understanding that pretty much every "smart" product is either android or rpi

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Roosevelt posted:

how heavy is a peloton and how far did you have to carry them?

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

qirex posted:

it's my understanding that pretty much every "smart" product is either android or rpi

yeah i have seen the interiors of a number of v1.0 tech bubble startup products and it's hilarious how many of them contain either
- a raspberry pi
- an arduino
- a no-name android tablet, or
- all three of the above

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
wa state board of health with a cool infographic

we're hosed probably

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
the in flight entertainment thingies i saw on a BA flight a few years ago were android tablets stuck to the searbacks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

wa state board of health with a cool infographic

we're hosed probably

[img-bugs-bunny-florida]

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

nice uh freedom chart

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

more covid=more liberty

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"surely there will be no unintended consequences for using mistrust of science as a political wedge issue for 50 years" - some republicans in the 1970s

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

"surely there will be no unintended consequences for using mistrust of science as a political wedge issue for 50 years" - some republicans in the 1970s

i tried watching the wallace interview from last night and i had to turn it off

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there is no reason to watch uncut trump yourself when there are tons of people whose job/curse is to do that for you and pull out the most egregious parts

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

just the part where he tries to brag about passing a basic dementia test (not a full battery) is worth watching if only because his exchange with wallace sounds like an onion article when transcribed and i thought it was until i saw the interview clip

https://twitter.com/TVietor08/status/1284846198839336960

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

wallace counting backwards while trump cut him off was the part where i thought it went too far to be real lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
lolling quietly at the people trying to convince everyone that biden's dementia is just as bad as trump's

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

haveblue posted:

lolling quietly at the people trying to convince everyone that biden's dementia is just as bad as trump's

https://twitter.com/newtgingrich/status/1285217266116812807?s=20

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

literal manbaby newt gingrich

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

haveblue posted:

when you have a super strong candidate and definitely aren't going to 2016 it all over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

MononcQc posted:

to make a psychological distinction between work time and personal time to ease the transition from one to the other, since commute is no longer there to play that role

people say this and honestly I respect it, but the distinction between "time where there's people expecting you to be productive" and "time you can spend doing whatever you want" is clear as day for me already