Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

VectorSigma posted:

Logitech G560.

The screen sampler was bugged and hitched badly for me until a fix came just last month. Here are the lights in action:

https://i.imgur.com/yIuz4xW.mp4

Just like Philips AmBX I had 10 years ago. That slowly died as the software support was crappy. There was a great third party program that made it work amazingly though (Aurora synaesthesia) , but only under XP.
I still have the kit somewhere.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

CubanMissile posted:

I would find that too distracting but it's still pretty neat.

Same. It's a neat niche thing, but I deffo wouldn't try to watch anything busy on it.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you’re moving around a lot and don’t really care about the looks I’d go grab a big collapsing/picnic table from Costco.

To step it a bit up from that aesthetically maybe go with a really cheap setup from the IKEA desk bar, but it won’t be nearly as rugged as one of those injection molded tabletops.

If you’re moving that often pretty much any “real furniture” you use is gonna look like poo poo after a year or two.

Whattup, sorry I'm bad about checking posts sometimes. My desktop is sitting on a Lifetime height adjustable folding table. They are about $50, real sturdy and can take quite a bit of weight. I'll be buying a second one. I could even set the height down real low if I wanted and sit on a zafu or bean bag.

muskrat posted:

What are you running on the Thinkpad? Looks like an old school console... OpenBSD?

The Operating System is GNU/Emacs: the extensible customizable self documenting display editor!

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 13, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

excellent bird guy posted:

Whattup, sorry I'm bad about checking posts sometimes. My desktop is sitting on a Lifetime height adjustable folding table. They are about $50, real sturdy and can take quite a bit of weight. I'll be buying a second one. I could even set the height down real low if I wanted and sit on a zafu or bean bag.

Yeah, I noticed after the fact but never bothered to change it because phone- that’s like the premium version of my rec.

definitely the discerning bird person’s choice 👌🏼👌🏼👌🏼

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Need to lower these desktop standards a bit:

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X and nVidia Quadro RTX 4000. Cheap desk from IKEA, expensive aircon from Kickstarter :3:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Industrial rack mount cases are going to be the new big thing

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

MrMoo posted:

expensive aircon from Kickstarter :3:

??? does it do anything special?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

shrike82 posted:

??? does it do anything special?

It takes 5 years to ship :lol:

It’s supposed to be small, quiet, and have good wifi control. It is however 40lbs, not a split so still noisy, and very much a 1.0 app with broken scheduling and bizarrely no server side storage of temps, no web app either. Looks ok I guess.

The rack mount is for the MLB, I don’t actually have a desktop. Although I do have an empty Dan A4 case sitting around. RTX Voice does cover up for its noisy rear end fan.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Tried to make things a bit nicer now that I have to work from home. Really need to tidy up some of those cables.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That third screen on the right looks like it's blocking an amazing view. 😼

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Why is the cat behind the screen and not in front?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I just moved, so I have more space, and I'm also working from home. I'm thinking of upgrading to a motorized sit/stand desk. What's the current recommendation for those?

I've been looking at this set of legs on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071KGDGNK/

And an Ikea table top, I guess?

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Granite Octopus posted:

Tried to make things a bit nicer now that I have to work from home. Really need to tidy up some of those cables.

For a minute I thought you had an Earth Crisis poster om your wall

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

shrike82 posted:

Why is the cat behind the screen and not in front?

He becomes too annoying in front, constantly kneading his bed so that it interferes with my mouse. He also enjoys looking out the window unobstructed :3:

And of course he still gets constant pats throughout the day so don't feel too bad for him

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I just moved, so I have more space, and I'm also working from home. I'm thinking of upgrading to a motorized sit/stand desk. What's the current recommendation for those?

I've been looking at this set of legs on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071KGDGNK/

And an Ikea table top, I guess?

I got a dual motor set of legs in January and am using an Ikea table top. It turns out that was a really great investment, just in time for the coronavirus.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

SamDabbers posted:

I got a dual motor set of legs in January and am using an Ikea table top. It turns out that was a really great investment, just in time for the coronavirus.

Dang, that's pretty cheap for a dual motor! Is that the exact model you bought in the Amazon link? The control panel looks a little different.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

frogbs posted:

Dang, that's pretty cheap for a dual motor! Is that the exact model you bought in the Amazon link? The control panel looks a little different.

Yeah, they updated the control panel since I got mine. This one has two presets and USB charging ports while mine has four presets and no USB charging ports. The motor controller/power supply and leg mechanism looks the same though.

The manual says it's rated to lift 270lbs so I tested it with my 170lb meatsack before setting up my PC. It lifted me all the way up to the max 51 inches without struggling or any hint of instability. Dual motors are totally overkill.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Granite Octopus posted:

What kind of VESA stand, laptop holder, etc. are you using? This is making me really want to look in to clearing off my desk and reclaiming some room.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

SamDabbers posted:

Thanks! Yeah looks like this is the equivalent on amazon.ca:

https://www.amazon.ca/VIVO-Management-Adjustable-Workstation-DESK-V103E/dp/B073K1JSW7

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I have that very one. It has been nice.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

SamDabbers posted:

The manual says it's rated to lift 270lbs so I tested it with my 170lb meatsack before setting up my PC. It lifted me all the way up to the max 51 inches without struggling or any hint of instability. Dual motors are totally overkill.
I have a pair of JBL 530 Studio monitors (40 lbs), a dual monitor mount (10 lbs), two monitors (30 lbs), the acacia table top is 40 lbs, and some accessories at about 10 lbs. If I set down some equipment or lean on the desk in standing position that will all add up enough to make me uncomfortable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

necrobobsledder posted:

I have a pair of JBL 530 Studio monitors (40 lbs), a dual monitor mount (10 lbs), two monitors (30 lbs), the acacia table top is 40 lbs, and some accessories at about 10 lbs. If I set down some equipment or lean on the desk in standing position that will all add up enough to make me uncomfortable.

The Husky workbench posted above in the thread is rated for 300lbs on top of the tabletop that ships with it. Hand crank only but it’s sturdier and you can get it with locking wheels.

There’s also just getting a tall/“adjustable-with tools and some disassembly” workbench, those seem to be rated for 3k lbs.

Honestly every time I see people putting mechanical lifting desks in their home offices I think about how my ideal would just be to have everything at benchtop/counter height. They make tall office and task chairs for labs and poo poo, after all.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I'm good with the adjustable desk I've got setup now. I'd probably prefer the two USB ports for charging instead of 2 more memory slots for my desk but I'll live for a good while like this. Besides the manual cranking issue, the workbenches I saw weren't as deep as the countertops I wanted and they were rather darn heavy.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Have it how I want it for the moment.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Is that the CTRL keyboard? I just got a Durgod K320 but I didn’t get any backlighting. I was looking at the CTRL for my next one because I like the lighting and the ability to hotswap switches.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Daric posted:

Is that the CTRL keyboard? I just got a Durgod K320 but I didn’t get any backlighting. I was looking at the CTRL for my next one because I like the lighting and the ability to hotswap switches.

It's the ALT keyboard. I had a G915 TKL (same size as the CTRL) for a moment, but decided I'd rather slim it down even further without giving up the arrows for now.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

MrMoo posted:

Need to lower these desktop standards a bit:

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X and nVidia Quadro RTX 4000. Cheap desk from IKEA, expensive aircon from Kickstarter :3:

what is that a jar of? WHAT is that a jar of?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Dude you don’t have to be dick tracy to know that’s watermelon

Weebymelon

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Dick Tracy has never been photographed eating a watermelon.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Rearranged from my floor setup. I'm really cramped for space. But the cool thing is I have the Wacom 16" on a stand so its a neat 3rd monitor to fit in. Great viewing angles. The freaking synth is on the floor. I ordered a padded folding chair to replace this horrible chair from the kitchen. I'm thinking of a second 6 foot table (this is 4') to give an L shaped work space. *edit: Oh and I have no room for my 2nd laptop to keep it within reach while at the battlestation. It sucks

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 20, 2020

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

assuming you program the dx7 with your feet

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

well why not posted:

assuming you program the dx7 with your feet

please don’t bring kink stuff into SA, it never goes well

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The placement of the monitors is not ideal but there's clearly a lot going on here.

What do you use the trackball for?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The placement of the monitors is not ideal but there's clearly a lot going on here.

What do you use the trackball for?

The monitors, i have to crane my neck to see the top ones. Right now I'm just standing up and putting the keyboard on the big infinite jest book.
That is a CST L-trac, at this current time it's hooked up to the thinkpad. 1) I like the scifi future tech glowing blue orb. 2) trackballs are handy.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I heard that putting the monitor on load tempered glass is a big no no, that it's not load-bearing. So the monitor will collapse into the case and break everything if I don't move it.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 20, 2020

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A second table would help a lot, yes. A folding X-stand for the Yamaha would help a ton as well, and they can be had pretty cheap.

I hope the folding chair you're getting is fancy, because I used one for about three months this spring and it made me sit just about anywhere else, as it made all sorts of things go numb, even being padded.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

excellent bird guy posted:

Rearranged from my floor setup. I'm really cramped for space. But the cool thing is I have the Wacom 16" on a stand so its a neat 3rd monitor to fit in. Great viewing angles. The freaking synth is on the floor. I ordered a padded folding chair to replace this horrible chair from the kitchen. I'm thinking of a second 6 foot table (this is 4') to give an L shaped work space. *edit: Oh and I have no room for my 2nd laptop to keep it within reach while at the battlestation. It sucks

One thing I'd consider would be a used office furniture store (if they are open during all this that is) if there is one around you. They often get stuff back from lease or when a buisness folds, and they can have quite a selection of good quality stuff for a fraction of the cost of new.

Koskun fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 20, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Koskun posted:

One thing I'd consider would be a used officer furniture store (if they are open during all this that is) if there is one around you. They often get stuff back from lease or when a buisness folds, and they can have quite a selection of good quality stuff for a fraction of the cost of new.

Nthing this. Folding chairs are not in any way ergonomic. Thrift stores or Craigslist are other good options for better chairs.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

rickiep00h posted:

A second table would help a lot, yes. A folding X-stand for the Yamaha would help a ton as well, and they can be had pretty cheap.

I hope the folding chair you're getting is fancy, because I used one for about three months this spring and it made me sit just about anywhere else, as it made all sorts of things go numb, even being padded.

aw dang. I really liked the trashy 1970s banquet vibe I got from the advertisement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’ve used a rather decent ikea chair (looked it up: MILLBERGET) for like 5 years. It’s $69.99 brand new right now. Sets up in like 15 min, does all the basics an office chair needs to do, very supportive, moves well.

Definitely not in the same league as a HM/Steelcase but I’ve been seriously impressed with it for the price.