Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

FilthyImp posted:

I feel like we're a few weeks to going back to the old Hollywood model where Disney just straight owns AMC and Paramount picks up Regal or something.

I've said it before, I'd be okay with this if A24 got to own its own personal chain and one was located near me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've said it before, I'd be okay with this if A24 got to own its own personal chain and one was located near me.
drat. A24 pairing up with Landmark Theatres and just having one or two screens always play one of their films would be choice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So this morning I went down to walmart, and in the 50 cent bargain bin was a movie I'd heard a lot about but never seen: Apocalypse Now. Got home and put it in. I think that is the single most exhausting movie I've ever seen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

So this morning I went down to walmart, and in the 50 cent bargain bin was a movie I'd heard a lot about but never seen: Apocalypse Now. Got home and put it in. I think that is the single most exhausting movie I've ever seen.

Dont worry, theres a 5 hour long cut of the film that will take that exhaustion to a new level

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Was it the Redux version (3 1/2 hours)?

e;f,b because I didn’t refresh the tab

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Some immediate reactions:

My first and foremost gut reaction: that nighttime scene at the American-held bridge under attack is one of the most surreal things I've ever seen.

Kilgore was low-key one of the more haunting things about the movie for me, I think. More horrifying than Kurtz, in my book. People in the movie at least acknowledge that Kurtz is a lunatic. No one seems concerned about Kilgore.

Kurtz... bored me, honestly. He just didn't have the presence he was built up to have, for me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That seems fair. He was authentically phoning it in and all. I think people realising the Vietnam war wasn't all sunshine and roses was already radical at the time.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

FilthyImp posted:

drat. A24 pairing up with Landmark Theatres and just having one or two screens always play one of their films would be choice.

Landmark is already owned by the same people who own Magnolia.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cythereal posted:

My first and foremost gut reaction: that nighttime scene at the American-held bridge under attack is one of the most surreal things I've ever seen.

Kilgore was low-key one of the more haunting things about the movie for me, I think. More horrifying than Kurtz, in my book. People in the movie at least acknowledge that Kurtz is a lunatic. No one seems concerned about Kilgore.

Kurtz... bored me, honestly. He just didn't have the presence he was built up to have, for me.

If you can find it (no idea if it's streaming anywhere or not) you should watch Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse, the documentary about Apocalypse Now's filming.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Chairman Capone posted:

If you can find it (no idea if it's streaming anywhere or not) you should watch Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse, the documentary about Apocalypse Now's filming.

Seeing that really explains Brando's performance. That they managed to get anything out of that mess is incredible.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That seems fair. He was authentically phoning it in and all. I think people realising the Vietnam war wasn't all sunshine and roses was already radical at the time.

Was Apocalypse Now the laziest Brando's ever been? I know he refused to learn his lines and was filmed in shadow to hide how fat he'd become. I believe Island of Dr Moreau is a close contender.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

davidspackage posted:

Was Apocalypse Now the laziest Brando's ever been? I know he refused to learn his lines and was filmed in shadow to hide how fat he'd become. I believe Island of Dr Moreau is a close contender.

It has nothing on The Score. That's the one where he refused to put on pants for a wide shot and kept saying that he wouldn't be directed by "fuckin' Miss Piggy" so Oz had to give notes to De Niro and have him casually mention them to Brando like they were his idea.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Cythereal posted:

I rewatched Apocalypse Now recently, and it was quite different in tone to my memories. The things that I remembered were the quotable lines ("Charlie don't surf") and moments of action. But on rewatch it was so different, like a hallucination or slowly going crazy. Even the French plantation had that feel - everyone here is deluded and Willard can only silently observe.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think thats why the film works, it never feels totally real and becomes more unreal as it goes. Kilgore is great because the comedy eases you in and the the comedy vanishes and all you are left is the grimness.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Probably, but Coppola managed to make that perfomance iconic, while Dr Moreau was actively sabotaged by Brando's antics

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Barudak posted:

I think thats why the film works, it never feels totally real and becomes more unreal as it goes. Kilgore is great because the comedy eases you in and the the comedy vanishes and all you are left is the grimness.

Kilgore never felt like comedy to me. I picked up immediately that he was crazy, completely detached from the reality of killing in favor of being obsessed with surfing. The whole movie was a slow, unnerving descent into madness.

Which is why I think Kurtz being such a weak part of the film really hurt it. For the epicenter of the madness, he was just a quiet guy with no presence or gravitas, he didn't even feel crazy or unnerving to me. The final shot of Willard, half naked and covered in blood, staring out at the crowd as they kneeled before him had more power in three seconds than Kurtz's entire part in the film.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

nonathlon posted:

I rewatched Apocalypse Now recently, and it was quite different in tone to my memories. The things that I remembered were the quotable lines ("Charlie don't surf") and moments of action. But on rewatch it was so different, like a hallucination or slowly going crazy. Even the French plantation had that feel - everyone here is deluded and Willard can only silently observe.
"Like a hallucination" was how I felt about Apocalypse Now after watching it for the first time. The madness of the story was echoed in the production, and it spilled through onto the screen in a way I've never seen since.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

never liked any iteration of the Heart of Darkness story. Painting native ppls as just a canvass for the white hero's emotional state always gave me a bad taste.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Cythereal posted:

What went on behind the scenes was also exhausting as well.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I wonder if somewhere out there is a script that made Apocalypse Now the origin story for Chop Top from Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What went on behind the scenes was also exhausting as well.
Reportedly Hopper gave Laurence Fishburne, who was 14 years old at the time, heroin.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Kilgore never felt like comedy to me. I picked up immediately that he was crazy, completely detached from the reality of killing in favor of being obsessed with surfing. The whole movie was a slow, unnerving descent into madness.

Which is why I think Kurtz being such a weak part of the film really hurt it. For the epicenter of the madness, he was just a quiet guy with no presence or gravitas, he didn't even feel crazy or unnerving to me. The final shot of Willard, half naked and covered in blood, staring out at the crowd as they kneeled before him had more power in three seconds than Kurtz's entire part in the film.

I disagree none at all with Kurtz. When I finally saw the film for the first time after years of cultural osmosis it felt like by far the weakest aspect of the movie. The film still works, but you're right the intensity is coming from everything but Kurtz.

As for Kilgore he is so detached from the killing its farcical, like you somehow believe he cannot die because he is so certain of his obsessions and so blase about the killing. As death tightens on the characters as the film progresses you become very aware of that lie. Its been a long time since I watched it but my memory was thinking of Kilgore as less the soldiers fighting but the people with "vietnam era veteran" hats envisage themselves to have been if they got sent.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Tenet is now TBA
https://twitter.com/loudmouthjulia/status/1285251274355736577?s=21

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Good, gently caress you Nolan.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

nonathlon posted:

The plantation scene really kills the pacing of the redux/final cut movie but I think it thematically works if you view the French as ghosts.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Cats & Dogs 3! It's real!

quote:

It's up to Roger the Dog (#MaxGreenfield) and Gwen the Cat (#MelissaRauch) to thwart the im-paws-ibly diabolical scheme of an evil parrot (#GeorgeLopez) determined to restart the war between cats and dogs!

Hashtags in the youtube description are also real!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct5mQYE3Xk4

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It just made me think of the song “It’s raining men” and made me think Cats and Dogs 3: It’s Raining Men should be an absurdist disaster movie where they have to set aside their differences to weather the rain of men

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Regal has been sticking to a 7/31 planned reopening date, this will probably push that back.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Cythereal posted:

I never understood that thought about Apocalypse Now being an exhausting movie...

...until I watched it in the theater. I saw the (then-new) restoration of the theatrical cut when it played at the Castro in San Francisco and holy poo poo, now I understand why. It's just bombarding you with fever dream imagery and a wall of sound from every direction.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Tars Tarkas posted:

Cats & Dogs 3! It's real!

Hashtags in the youtube description are also real!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct5mQYE3Xk4

So after all this time the cats and dogs are teaming up against birds?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

davidspackage posted:

For Superman he learned zero lines; everything he says in that movie was hidden somewhere on the set for him to read, including on the baby's diaper.

Brando had a weird thing where, when he would show up on set, he'd begin to suggest weird or dumb things to put into the movie and his performance, and if a director went "uh huh, sounds great, we'll try that!" he decided that guy was a doormat and would literally turn the rest of time he was on set turning the director into a shell of a man. If the guy told him "go gently caress yourself, Marlon, hit this mark, do the lines, deal with it" he'd actually do the (minimum amount of) work required of him.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

davidspackage posted:

It could have been a contender!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ror posted:

It has nothing on The Score. That's the one where he refused to put on pants for a wide shot and kept saying that he wouldn't be directed by "fuckin' Miss Piggy" so Oz had to give notes to De Niro and have him casually mention them to Brando like they were his idea.

Oz and Bobby also had to deal with Edward Norton on that one. It's amazing the movie turned out enjoyable.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Presumably Edward Norton at least let Frank Oz be in the room to direct. I don't remember him and Brando having a scene together, though maybe I'm forgetting something.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think all three of them have one or two scenes together, but I don't think there are any with just Brando and Norton. I need to watch that again, I remember it being a really good little film that takes it's time and the twists and turns actually make sense.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was just wondering whatever happened to George Lopez.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
New Mutenets

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

im surprised they dont dump New Mutants on streaming, now is the best time since "We don't need no education" in gregorian choir can be the "Schoooools out....forever!" of 2020

since they are all death traps now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Honestly I would pay the $30 or however much they're charging for new release movies on streaming just out of pity for the poor movie. It's been through so much.