Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
My big beef with the RE3 remake is that Nemesis just feels like a retread of Birkin, but done worse. In original Resident Evil 2, Birkin started out as a pretty recognizably human enemy, but as you progressed and damaged him more and more the G-Virus clearly was remodeling his body into an animalistic predator. This was a pretty gradual process which occurred over about 5 different stages, with even in-between stages shown during the introductory sequences to some of the fights. He was a wonderfully depicted foe, and each new form upped the ante in an exciting and believable way. The Remake captured all of these aspects wonderfully, and the modern graphics allowed for his more monstrous forms to be reinterpreted into some truly marvelous body-horror designs.

Nemesis, on the other hand, retained his humanoid form for the majority of the original game. As you fought him, and defeated him, he gradually became more and more battle-damaged, giving that same sense of history you'd get with Birkin, but it came across totally differently. While Birkin was become an increasingly vicious animal, Nemesis just kind of falls apart, his internal parasites spilling out of him. It's horrifying in a totally different way. And he doesn't stop, and he's clearly intelligent, and gives across much more of a relentless Terminator "why won't this drat guy just DIE already" sort of tone. His final form at the end exemplifies this, he's been dealt unbelievable amounts of punishment over the course of the game, and it results in this putrefying lumbering thing still just coming towards you. It's not even recognizable as remotely human anymore except for a stray leg coming out the side. But it's still coming after you! Nemesis is a great villain, and it's only because of the cat-and-mouse relationship you develop with him over the course of the entire game. He's the Tom to your Jerry, complete with you blowing up dynamite in his face and poo poo like that.

Remake Nemesis on the other hand just completely throws that out the window. As a humanoid foe he's great. Humanoid Nemesis in the remake is nearly perfect. Sure he has scripted moments, which I could do with or without, I don't feel like their presence adds much but it certainly doesn't take anything away from the experience. I think he really shines in the open chase scene, because he comes across literally like a boss-encounter dropped into a normal gameplay area, which is exactly how he should feel. Anyways so you do that, and you have the flamethrower fight with him which I was a big fan of as well. But once you blow up the subway the entire Terminator tone is dropped in favor of him turning into a huge animal like Birkin. He gets set on fire, dropped into the water, and then you wait ten seconds and BLAMMO he's suddenly Birkin form 4 with fins. There isn't the same menace as OG Nemesis, and there isn't the buildup and development of his transformations as Birkin has. And don't get me wrong, it isn't a bad design in and of itself. It's very cool and monstrous, and the fight is fun, but my issue is with them dropping the unique tone OG Nemesis had, and replacing it with an inferior Birkin knockoff. My beef with the final form is pretty much the same thing, he just turns into a huge flowering flesh tower. It's just Salazar from RE4 but with Nemesis's toothy grin instead. They just never give Nemesis a chance to build his own identity in this game, and it's just disappointing after they did Mr. X and Birkin both such justice in the RE2 remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I like Dog-esis, but agree that he should've only showed up for that one lab fight. The first forced Nemmy fight is him with the flamethrower, so the fight at the bridge should've been shirtless Nemmy with an emphasis on tentacle whips and throwing hands. As it is, it feels not only like he transforms too soon, but also you have to do the same fight twice and dog mode doesn't have enough depth to it for that to work.

I think that, despite the crushing difficulty on Nightmare and up, final form Nemesis in the remake is actually an improvement over OG final Nemmy. The final battle is largely spectacle in these games, and RE3make mostly gets that. Think of Birkin on the train or Evie in the attic. You can die, sure, but those aren't really fights with mechanics and stuff, just big flashy deaths for your villain. On normal, Final Nemesis kind of perfectly encapsulates this: everything about the fight is about looking big, crazy and climatic. It's probably my favorite finale in the series, not because it's a good boss but because it's a great set-piece. Nemesis becoming this expanding sea of flesh flooding into the room is the logical extreme of a foe that's supposed to feel ever present and unkillable (even if they don't pull that off as well as I'd like). And the railgun is hilarious. That's why I really hate his huge damage output on higher difficulties: he goes from being a victory lap to one shotting you too suddenly.

I am glad that when the remake does Nemesis well (like the first hour or so) it does him really well. Too bad they fumble about halfway through so he's doomed back to being second fiddle to Mr. X again.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Didn't the original RE3 game randomize the Nemesis' appearances? Been forever since I played it (original launch) but if memory serves that was one of the things that made him so intense and dreadful. My recollection of him is hauling rear end all over the map running from him and then, once I was safe, trying to remember wtf I was doing before he chased me and worrying about how to get back there. In addition to having to fight my way back to that spot and dealing with dodged/respawned enemies.

In the new game, he shows up at exactly the same places every time which robs the game of some of its tension.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Didn't the original RE3 game randomize the Nemesis' appearances? Been forever since I played it (original launch) but if memory serves that was one of the things that made him so intense and dreadful. My recollection of him is hauling rear end all over the map running from him and then, once I was safe, trying to remember wtf I was doing before he chased me and worrying about how to get back there. In addition to having to fight my way back to that spot and dealing with dodged/respawned enemies.

In the new game, he shows up at exactly the same places every time which robs the game of some of its tension.

He wasn't randomized precisely. He would show up at set locations (which could vary depending on the paths through the game you took) and if he wasn't taken down he would keep showing up until he stopped stalking you at which point he wouldn't show up until the next spawn location.

Basically he was a bit more like Mr. X from RE2make except you could take him down. It's why people were hoping RE3make would give him more to do.

That said he shows up a lot more often in RE3 than RE3make, both because RE3 has more areas and because he doesn't devolve into Boss Monster Form as early.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 11, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, he wasn't randomized, as such, but there were so many Nemesis encounters that it was easy for to feel like he was. I think it was something in the realm of 12 to 14 encounters over the course of the game? Many of which offered you optional solutions to take him out without directly fighting him.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
As much as I liked RE3, it definitely didn't make me feel like I was in danger like RE2 did. For most of my first run of RE2, it seemed like death was just behind most corners and I needed to haul rear end to survive. In RE3, I felt more comfortable looking around, appreciating the environments, and was much less hurried.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Crowetron posted:

I like Dog-esis, but agree that he should've only showed up for that one lab fight. The first forced Nemmy fight is him with the flamethrower, so the fight at the bridge should've been shirtless Nemmy with an emphasis on tentacle whips and throwing hands. As it is, it feels not only like he transforms too soon, but also you have to do the same fight twice and dog mode doesn't have enough depth to it for that to work.

I think that, despite the crushing difficulty on Nightmare and up, final form Nemesis in the remake is actually an improvement over OG final Nemmy. The final battle is largely spectacle in these games, and RE3make mostly gets that. Think of Birkin on the train or Evie in the attic. You can die, sure, but those aren't really fights with mechanics and stuff, just big flashy deaths for your villain. On normal, Final Nemesis kind of perfectly encapsulates this: everything about the fight is about looking big, crazy and climatic. It's probably my favorite finale in the series, not because it's a good boss but because it's a great set-piece. Nemesis becoming this expanding sea of flesh flooding into the room is the logical extreme of a foe that's supposed to feel ever present and unkillable (even if they don't pull that off as well as I'd like). And the railgun is hilarious. That's why I really hate his huge damage output on higher difficulties: he goes from being a victory lap to one shotting you too suddenly.

I am glad that when the remake does Nemesis well (like the first hour or so) it does him really well. Too bad they fumble about halfway through so he's doomed back to being second fiddle to Mr. X again.

I think it was a case of capcom being too sensitive to feedback. If you remove the horror presentation aspect of Mr.X and just focus on what he offered as a gameplay challenge he was essentially a soft time attack mechanic, he forced you to deal with enemy encounters on a time limit instead of at your leisure, still even that inevitably got whining as an unfair mechanic. Having a nemesis that is balls to the wall chasing you through every major area was probably just assumed to be untenable.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 12, 2020

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

lurker2006 posted:

I think it was a case of capcom being too sensitive to feedback. If you remove the horror presentation aspect of Mr.X and just focus on what he offered as a gameplay challenge he was essentially a soft time attack mechanic, he forced you to deal with enemy encounters on a time limit instead of at your leisure, still even that inevitably got whining as an unfair mechanic. Having a nemesis that is balls to the wall chasing you through every major area was probably just assumed to be untenable.

Apparently, the two remakes were made consecutively so I dunno how much feedback they had to go on. I honestly feel a lot of the rougher patches of the RE3make were the direct result of a Capcom exec coming in halfway into production and saying "Hey, we're taking half your budget and funneling it into a Dead by Daylight knock-off no one asked for."

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its a bummer they took from the having good ideas budget but left the having bad ideas budget intact

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Crowetron posted:

Apparently, the two remakes were made consecutively so I dunno how much feedback they had to go on.
I think you mean concurrently there. The two remakes were made at the same time by different teams, although Resistance was outsourced to yet another third party team altogether.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I think you mean concurrently there. The two remakes were made at the same time by different teams, although Resistance was outsourced to yet another third party team altogether.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Regarding the Revelations games, I played them both on PC and honestly, while the singleplayer campaigns were good (Rev. 2 being the better one) most of my playtime in both has been spent in co-op Raid mode. It's such a satisfying take on the "pure action" extra modes like Mercenaries the series has had; I guess watching numbers go up in Resident Evil is fun. Rev. 1's Raid Mode becomes way too much of a grind after a while though. The amount of experience it takes to level up skyrockets, and I've never played the big bonus stage because I'm still way too underleveled.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I couldn't get into Rev 2's raid mode because you have to level up each character individually. Oh did you just unlock a super sweet new character? Gotta start over from the beginning if you want to play him. Otherwise it was super fun.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You end up having to upgrade grind one gun a level in Rev 1, knowing you have to discard it for something a little bit better. Even better if you don't find the special gun with huge stats and end up underpowered. Finish ten missions to add one extra bullet to your gun. You are not improving your character any more at this rate.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I just don't like the premise of how Rev 2 did it's raid mode. It just felt so dull. An arena mode basically with respawning enemies and then you get about 3 items at the end.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I would've liked playing as Rev2 Claire in Rev1's super large final raid map.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

:toot:

I saved before G2, G3, and Super Tyrant. Those being the only places I died as well. I'm ecstatic right now. There were a couple close calls where I thought I was going to lose all progress.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The sewers with G Adults is always fun time

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

WaltherFeng posted:

I lost three grenades, a knife, and got poisoned down there. Just just inched by.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I always forget where the "Save RIGHT HERE" parts of the game are and wind up getting wrecked, especially if I've been doing well to that point.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

WaltherFeng posted:

as long as you know where you're going and accept you're going to lose some grenades it's not too bad. it just sucks for leon that he is more likely to get grabbed and also gets way more value out of saving his grenades.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

for anyone who might be interested in this sort of thing Carcinogen finally did a 100% no damage run of RE4. also apparently he doesn't really enjoy RE4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly can't imagine doing something like that, like my brain tries to picture me doing it and literally can't. It's not even like it's a legendarily difficult game, it's just so specifically centered on relatively slow and methodical movement while being constantly mobbed and shot at.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh man and I just realized that would put the dynamic difficulty at the absolute max

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Oh man and I just realized that would put the dynamic difficulty at the absolute max

If you play on professional, it wouldn't matter.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcIN8rhuUms

carcinogen is a god gamer and doesnt need to worry about that

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can someone give me any tips on playing RE1 Remake for the first time seriously. I’ve never completed any of the tank control RE games. What difficulty should I play on? I want to finally get through it as Jill before finally playing RE3 remake in a week or so.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'd choose the middle of the three options for your first time through (iirc they translate to very easy, easy and normal). Very easy is literally no challenge so only pick it if you're in it for the story and exploration, and normal is pretty punishing so could be frustrating if it's your first tank control RE.

Oh and if it's the HD remaster try using the alternate movement option, that gives you camera-relative movement (like in Devil May Cry) on the stick and tank controls for finer movement on the dpad.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 18, 2020

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s pretty much business as usual, conserve ammo and healing items as much as you can. You’ll gain the ability to burn a limited amount of zombie corpses, choose carefully and burn the ones that occupy areas you backtrack through frequently. They come back as tough and fast Crimson Heads. Jill is the right choice for a first play through. She has extra inventory space and gets help from Barry in some areas, and has a lockpick.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thanks. It is indeed the HD version on Switch. It blows my mind how good this game looks still. I got it when it was new on GC but was too much of a scared baby to get very far back then.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
When you get the shotgun, always aim up close and try to blow up their head. Stops Crimsons from forming and saves ammo. Help your guys during boss fights and get rewarded for it.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can someone give me any tips on playing RE1 Remake for the first time seriously. I’ve never completed any of the tank control RE games. What difficulty should I play on? I want to finally get through it as Jill before finally playing RE3 remake in a week or so.

If you stab a zombie in the head with a defensive knife and then decapitate them, you can loot your knife from the zombie.

Zombies can't bite you on stairs, but will try to vomit on you which is much easier to dodge in the... Three, maybe four areas that's relevant.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

When I played through RE1make I did the Jill playthrough on Easy ("Hiking") and the Chris playthrough on Normal ("Mountain Climbing"). If you are going to do two playthroughs I would recommend increasing the difficulty in RE1 - Chris is slightly harder because he has a more limited inventory, but it's also going to be a much easier experience because you already know where everything is and how to deal with the monsters.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
That said those old keys can really put you into tricky situations as Chris. (Im so bad at remembering you need to pick those up so I end up making things really difficult)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

WaltherFeng posted:

That said those old keys can really put you into tricky situations as Chris. (Im so bad at remembering you need to pick those up so I end up making things really difficult)

The biggest change with Chris and keys is that you can't get the shotgun earlier - with Jill you can take the one in the trap room and Barry will save you, if you take it with Chris you get toasted.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you route it right you don't even need to get that shotgun as Jill, you get both the grenade launcher from Forest and the assault shotgun from Richard anyways

E: Actually, I'd have to look at my little cheat sheet but iirc you don't need it as Chris either

site fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 20, 2020

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

site posted:

If you route it right you don't even need to get that shotgun as Jill, you get both the grenade launcher from Forest and the assault shotgun from Richard anyways

E: Actually, I'd have to look at my little cheat sheet but iirc you don't need it as Chris either

Yeah that's not the "main" shotgun. I didn't even know there was an assault shotgun in REMake. I've only played it once, recently.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I remember a goon shared some resi 6 gameplay footage that highlighted the ridiculous action movie antics a high level re6 player can achieve and I wish I could find it, any chance it rings any bells?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

site posted:

this is a good post for me to post my periodical reminder that RE1 and RE2 specifically are basically puzzle games. of course the entire series benefits from planning your routing to some degree or another but the first two games that's basically the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The main thing I'm picking up from watching pieces of this Carcinogen RE4 run is there was way more treasure than I ever knew about hanging on ceilings in that game. I knew about the gas lanterns under the village and most of the bird's nests, but drat they hid a lot of treasure right above your head in that game. I think I missed 99 percent of it the first time I played it.