Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

jojoinnit posted:

Then again I also loved Tin-Tin

I think that movie is fantastic.
Is it generally dis-liked? That'd be a surprise to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I've never heard anything bad about it. But I've also never seen it... Like most of Spielberg's work in the last decade, really.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Marin Karin posted:

I've never heard anything bad about it. But I've also never seen it... Like most of Spielberg's work in the last decade, really.

:same:

Spielbert's work over the last decade just doesn't feel as urgent to see these days. LIke once upon a time if it had his name attached, it was a must see movie. I feel AI was the last one that felt like a must see and around the time Munich came out, everything just didn't feel like a requirement.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

Spielbert's work over the last decade just doesn't feel as urgent to see these days. LIke once upon a time if it had his name attached, it was a must see movie. I feel AI was the last one that felt like a must see and around the time Munich came out, everything just didn't feel like a requirement.

And what movie came out between them? Terminal, boom.

However I will continue to love the terminal, it feels very low stakes movie for such serious subject matter.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

The constant "THE BIGGEST MOVIE EVER HOLY poo poo WATCH IT NOW OR BE A loving LOSER" trend makes me miss when big directors would do low-stakes movies.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Acht posted:

I think that movie is fantastic.
Is it generally dis-liked? That'd be a surprise to me.

Oh I didn't mean to imply it was hated the way the BFG seems to be but I thought it was wonderful and have never heard a peep about it. It just disappeared like it never existed.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Marin Karin posted:

The constant "THE BIGGEST MOVIE EVER HOLY poo poo WATCH IT NOW OR BE A loving LOSER" trend makes me miss when big directors would do low-stakes movies.

world's changed, netflix killed it. To think of another Tom Hanks movie, do you think something like Larry Crowne would ever get a theater release now?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I still have a lot of affection for War of the Worlds. Mean Spielberg is a precious rarity any more.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

War of the worlds was pretty good up until the end. It’s pretty intense until Deus Ex carona virus.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

jojoinnit posted:

Oh I didn't mean to imply it was hated the way the BFG seems to be but I thought it was wonderful and have never heard a peep about it. It just disappeared like it never existed.

Yeah, now that you mention it... It's a movie I plugged to a lot of parents around me as well. We all sort of know Tin Tin (Kuifje in the Netherlands) from our youth and the movie is a great experience with a kid. Both my son and daughter loved it (they were 8 and 6 at the time).
Not sure why a bunch of my friends and relatives just didn't know it existed.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Invalid Validation posted:

War of the worlds was pretty good up until the end. It’s pretty intense until Deus Ex carona virus.

Isn’t this the ending of every WotW?

I remember more people complaining about the son being alive for no real reason.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

weekly font posted:

Isn’t this the ending of every WotW?

Yes, and is the origin of the in-joke in Independence Day of, "We'll give it a cold" when they give the alien computer a computer virus. In the book, the aliens get sick from Earth germs they have no immunity to.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

weekly font posted:

I remember more people complaining about the son being alive for no real reason.

That too

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Minority Report is still pretty great too.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

oh hey, after listening to the Terminal yt recced me this video about the guy it was (very loosely, not at all really) based on, Sir Alfred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQfXd1YlkS4

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

God Cradle of Filth is 2003? Oof that's made me feel old. It can't be the 20th anniversary in 3 years. It just can't.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Flython posted:

God Cradle of Filth is 2003? Oof that's made me feel old. It can't be the 20th anniversary in 3 years. It just can't.

I'm pretty sure Cradle of Filth existed before 2003, I seem to remember a friend's girlfriend being into them in like 2001.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

jojoinnit posted:

it's not exactly a property americans were clamoring for I dont think and that's where Spielbergs primary audience lies. Also the animation freaked people out for whatever reason. It hit that weird divide of too realistic, but too cartoony looking. It was a fine movie, I think i own it in my giant pile of media, but also its not a movie I really think about too often besides it being a technical spectacle that looks great.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

https://twitter.com/whmpodcast/status/1287137435105792007?s=21

block out your afternoon in a couple weeks

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This is what will happen when you let Cabin go off king on Zoo.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

episode 500 is them going back to private cabin shorts on youtube and riffing

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Part of me hopes they keep it a complete secret until it actually drops, just let everyone be on the edge of their seat.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

A 4 hour chat about Ishtar

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I can't even imagine what movie they could go on about for 4.5 hours, Jesus Christ

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Pfft, it's just gonna be a clip show.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think it would have to be a series of films right? Like a trilogy sounds about right, but I don't know what they would talk about that they haven't already talked about. 50 Shades?

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

They did Pearl Harbor but also had Dan Carlin as a guest. This is the first 4.5 hour episode of three.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

4.5 convo about the resident evil series

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
I’m hoping for Big Lebowski, but I don’t know if it’s big enough

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

4.5 hours of just the turtle scene from Master of Disguise.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

4.5 hour convo on Spice World

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Doobie Keebler posted:

They did Pearl Harbor but also had Dan Carlin as a guest. This is the first 4.5 hour episode of three.

Hope the boys are boxing fans.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Is it a WHM or a WLM?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

My first thought was "all three matrixes in one go" but that would be like 12 hours unless it's just a lot of yelling "WHAT THE gently caress?" at the screen (and I doubt it's a commentary)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

fishing with the fam posted:

Is it a WHM or a WLM?

WHM. At the end of the Raiders WLM, they said they can’t say what the next WLM is because it’s related to the 500th episode of WHM.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

thrawn527 posted:

WHM. At the end of the Raiders WLM, they said they can’t say what the next WLM is because it’s related to the 500th episode of WHM.

Godfather 3?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

B-Rock452 posted:

Godfather 3?

oh gently caress this is a good guess. I had been assuming that the episode is going to be having at least some reflecting but even that can’t account for being the longest episode by over an hour

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

B-Rock452 posted:

Godfather 3?

Yeah, this was my brother’s guess, but can you really find 4.5 hours of things to talk about with that movie? After “Sofia Coppola is a bad actress” and “Al Pacino forgot how to not just play Al Pacino by part 3”, what’s left? It’s mostly just a forgettable, bad movie that limps across the finish line.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

jojoinnit posted:

My first thought was "all three matrixes in one go" but that would be like 12 hours unless it's just a lot of yelling "WHAT THE gently caress?" at the screen (and I doubt it's a commentary)

I thought it could be all 3 Austin Powers movies, which the gang really seems to hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

clown shoes posted:

I thought it could be all 3 Austin Powers movies, which the gang really seems to hate.

Omg well now I'm really hoping you're correct cause I'd love that.