Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I, a millenial, won't pay for a cable subscription, or a streaming service that will black out games that are otherwise available on said cable subscription in my area.

Until the NHL figures out that cable is for the olds, its :filez: for me.

Once they get with the times, I'll pay, I dunno, $250 a season to get a quality stream of one game a night that I get to choose.

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

being an out-of-market fan is pretty great tbh as long as you don't want to go to very many hockey games

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

deoju posted:

Once they get with the times, I'll pay, I dunno, $250 a season to get a quality stream of one game a night that I get to choose.

You can get that now. I feel like I’m beating this drum every time streaming chat comes up, but NHL.tv plus a DNS service like Unblock-us or Yonder.tv gives you official streams of every game with no blackouts for the full season and playoffs.

I don’t even remember what Nhl.tv costs but it’s something like $130 for the year plus $30 for the year for Yonder.tv = $160 for every game without blackouts and without having to worry about finding a good quality pirate stream or anything like that.

I just wish they still showed the local commercials instead of replacing them with the same 3 commercials for every break.

EDIT: In the interest of transparency, I just remembered the one downside to this: you still can’t watch any local games that are subject to blackout restrictions on your phone if you have an iPhone. The NHL iPhone app still uses geolocation to determine blackout eligibility, and there’s no way to get around that unless you jailbreak your phone, which most people don’t do. I assume it’s the same way for the Android app, but I also assume it’s easier on Android to fake your geolocation so maybe that would fix it.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 19, 2020

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

it is now canon that trump is personally responsible for hockeystreams shutting down

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

3 hundo a season not including playoffs and we make it hard to watch games in your area eg the team you probably follow's home games. Also 30 frames is plenty.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

it is now canon that trump is personally responsible for hockeystreams shutting down

Thanks Obama !

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

deoju posted:

I, a millenial, won't pay for a cable subscription, or a streaming service that will black out games that are otherwise available on said cable subscription in my area.

Until the NHL figures out that cable is for the olds, its :filez: for me.

I mean, YMMV, but I've been able to legally stream Jackets games from Florida with the combination of the bare-bones Spectrum cable package and FOX Sports Go.

Valid Spectrum login+That login on FSGO=My team anywhere.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I swear to God if NBC makes me sign up for their streaming service, that's just what I'll do.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1284921072245018624

1 year since the Oilers got rid of the worst contract in the league :toot:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
You know David Clarkson is still under contract in the NHL, right?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

OldSenileGuy posted:

You can get that now. I feel like I’m beating this drum every time streaming chat comes up, but NHL.tv plus a DNS service like Unblock-us or Yonder.tv gives you official streams of every game with no blackouts for the full season and playoffs.

I don’t even remember what Nhl.tv costs but it’s something like $130 for the year plus $30 for the year for Yonder.tv = $160 for every game without blackouts and without having to worry about finding a good quality pirate stream or anything like that.

I just wish they still showed the local commercials instead of replacing them with the same 3 commercials for every break.

EDIT: In the interest of transparency, I just remembered the one downside to this: you still can’t watch any local games that are subject to blackout restrictions on your phone if you have an iPhone. The NHL iPhone app still uses geolocation to determine blackout eligibility, and there’s no way to get around that unless you jailbreak your phone, which most people don’t do. I assume it’s the same way for the Android app, but I also assume it’s easier on Android to fake your geolocation so maybe that would fix it.

yeah Yonder owns, worked perfectly when I was living in NY and couldn't get Devils games.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/RobTheHockeyGuy/status/1284916176053694464?s=19

Speaking of dudes on god awful contracts, I present to you one of my darkest fears manifest.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I was a cord cutter once. Hockeystreams was the poo poo and I didn't want cable. But then it went away...

I have since signed up for bullshit faux cable before JUST to watch the Caps on the regional sports network. First PS Vue and now Youtube.TV.

They have since "expanded" the offerings for a higher fee that I couldn't opt out of, including lots of poo poo I'll never watch and some poo poo my wife is excited to watch. So now I can never get rid of it, I'm paying cable prices (~$65 a month) for it, and the interface is worse than Hockeystreams or regular Youtube or cable. I played myself.

If they make me get something else to stream the playoffs I will lose my poo poo.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I got YoutubeTV and the overall quality is fine. They did add a bunch of unnecessary stuff and up the price from $35 to $50, which essentially brings things back to cable.. However, you can share accounts. So right now my account is being used by my brother, parents, aunt, and I.

However, they got rid of FSN West and Prime, which basically renders it useless for me. Then Covid hit and it didn't matter anyway.

We'll see what happens next year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Is NHL.tv really so bad in the States? I think I've encountered maybe two blackouts in the past 5 years here in Canada and the quality (while not perfect) is certainly decent all things considered.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rogers' side of Gamecenter doesn't blackout national games, the US side does. So if you're not local to the team you want to watch you can see every game.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 20, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've honestly had very few problems with gamecenter the last few years, but I'm nowhere near Philadelphia and it now largely seems to think Toledo is solely a Detroit market instead of both Detroit and Columbus.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

Is NHL.tv really so bad in the States? I think I've encountered maybe two blackouts in the past 5 years here in Canada and the quality (while not perfect) is certainly decent all things considered.

Depends on your location and teams you like. My 3 teams are Flyers, Blues, Preds. It works great for me for Flyers and Preds since they’re out of market. Doesn’t work for any Blues games since I’m in market (unless I disguise my location, which I’m personally just not willing to do the effort there).

It also blacks out “National” aka NBC Sports games, so that depends on your team. Probably sucks for teams like Chicago, Pittsburgh, NY, etc. Philly is on NBC a moderate amount, Nashville rarely is.

And of course, NHL.TV blacks out most to all playoff games (in part because they’re almost all nationally broadcast....I think), so really, I’m paying for NHL.TV for Flyers and Preds regular season games.

It works for me because A. I split NHL.tv with a family member (you can have up to 2 simultaneous streams), so I basically pay 50% of the price, and B. I gave up on trying to cord cut, so I get Blues and national games via cable.

My current cable promo, the Tv is probably about $50ish more than just internet, but I get HBO with it, which I would pay for separately, and we watch enough cable where between cable channels and live sports it’s worth it. It does require switching between cable companies every 2ish years when your promo runs out.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

ThinkTank posted:

It's pretty good for an out-of-market fan of a team that doesn't get many national US broadcasts, like the Jets. Last year they pushed an upgrade that really improved the quality of the browser player.

I had Hockeystreams and it was great (my subscription ended the same day they shut it down) but since then I've been satisfied with NHL.tv.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My main issue with NHL.tv is my Roku app doesn't get 60FPS streams even though everyone else on the planet is able to get it smoothly

Not even off a wired ethernet can I ever get it but surprise surprise the streams that randos put on the internet work like a charm!!!!

gently caress you NHL

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

The only reason I can think of for paying for nhl.tv (other than, y'know, ethics...) would be to be able to replay games that you missed.

For anything live, there are plenty high quality 60fps sites available where you don't have to try and duck the blackout restrictions.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I live in Syracuse and any game with the Sabres, Isles or Rangers (and sometimes Devils) gets blacked out on the nhl app. This is because you can get all the MSG channels here on cable if you pay for all of them and sure that makes sense since I live three hundred miles away from NYC. To be clear I kind of understand Buffalo blackouts.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
After having to repeatedly find alternative streams in order to watch hockey games that'd been blacked on on gamecenter I was overwhelmed by the irony and had to sit down.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Penguins intra squad game streaming live on Facebook for anyone that is as hard up for hockey as I am.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It's like watching the music industry flailing around trying to reacting to file sharing back in the day.

Oh, there's an alternative that's in a better format, way more easily accessible, and it's not packaged with a glut of poo poo you don't care about? Well then we'll just have to offer a worse version of it and raise prices. That should take care of those pesky streamers once and for all!

Except instead of the privilege of getting the whole Lincoln Park album (that you wanted a single song off of) for 19.99 in a DRM riddle package of poo poo we get 30fps, blackouts, and an interface that was aged poorly a decade ago. Oh and it costs way too much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gamecenter is only meant for out of market fans because of TV contracts. It's a necessary sacrifice because for many here, the team you like only still exists because of those TV contracts.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Gamecenter is only meant for out of market fans because of TV contracts. It's a necessary sacrifice because for many here, the team you like only still exists because of those TV contracts.

this works well enough in the regular season, but during the playoffs when all or most games are nationally broadcast, it essentially means you can't watch anything at all on GC, even if you're on the moon or something.

signed, longtime out of market fan

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/1285231425374085128

So Domi hasn't opted out after all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The assumption there is that your cable has those games since they're national.

It's not a good one, but it's how the whole system works because they have to acquiesce to NBC.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Except instead of the privilege of getting the whole Lincoln Park album (that you wanted a single song off of) for 19.99 in a DRM riddle package of poo poo we get 30fps, blackouts, and an interface that was aged poorly a decade ago. Oh and it costs way too much.

Hey, Meteora was a solid album front to back

Gonna add my name to the pile of people saying that even when I paid for Gamecentre I was using streams 30% of the time because of app stability and time delay issues. Especially in the playoffs, a random illegal streamer could pull off <20s time delay while the NHLs official app was fully 4 minutes behind real time.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Aphrodite posted:

The assumption there is that your cable has those games since they're national.

It's not a good one, but it's how the whole system works because they have to acquiesce to NBC.

Streaming TV may have gotten just as expensive as cable but at least it's easy to subscribe and unsubscribe when you want. In theory you could sign up for Youtube TV for the two months of the playoffs and quit after the Cup gets awarded.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The dumb part is that the streams are real high quality themselves. It's the apps that gently caress it up. That's what Hockeystreams did, they just ripped off the official ones.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

If you like the quality of the GC streams, but are in market, don't want to pay the too expensive fee, or are fed up with the outdated apps, and you have access to a Windows PC, search reddit for NHL underscore games. Sometimes it breaks from server/api changes, but it only ever goes out for a day or two if that happens. Otherwise it is the service GC should be providing. You can hook in your spotify for ad breaks.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Jehde posted:

If you like the quality of the GC streams, but are in market, don't want to pay the too expensive fee, or are fed up with the outdated apps, and you have access to a Windows PC, search reddit for NHL underscore games. Sometimes it breaks from server/api changes, but it only ever goes out for a day or two if that happens. Otherwise it is the service GC should be providing. You can hook in your spotify for ad breaks.

this is what I use and it's very good when it's working, but occasionally doesn't always have streams available for every game

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

For people wondering about the broadcasting schedule, it looks like we'll be getting that info soon enough. Sportsnet has already released theirs.

https://twitter.com/JShannonhl/status/1285237732105740288

https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/status/1285236617708539909

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

The dumb part is that the streams are real high quality themselves. It's the apps that gently caress it up. That's what Hockeystreams did, they just ripped off the official ones.

I'm pretty sure Hockeystreams.com encoded their own streams from HDTV broadcasts.

In contrast, almost every free option then as well as today just uses the NHL.TV / GameCenter Live streams.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zat posted:

I'm pretty sure Hockeystreams.com encoded their own streams by ripping HDTV broadcasts.

In contrast, almost every free option then as well as today just uses the NHL.TV / GameCenter Live streams.

Oops I meant NHLstreams. The subreddit, not the subscription service.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1285243664546103296
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1285243979848720386

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

In a just world, Josi would win over Carlson, but this might be my boy Johnny C's only chance at it and he was at a point per game, so give it to him.

It's so dumb too because he's had much better seasons defensively, but the Norris is about POINTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Kilza posted:

For people wondering about the broadcasting schedule, it looks like we'll be getting that info soon enough. Sportsnet has already released theirs.

https://twitter.com/JShannonhl/status/1285237732105740288

https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/status/1285236617708539909

Yeeeeees, Gord owns.