Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Suprfli6 posted:

Lol. Did you have like 16 clubs in your bag and need to give yourself multiple penalties on every hole?

No I scored it as, say, 4 strokes and 2 putts for a total of 6 instead of 6 strokes total with 2 of those being puts lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Anyone looking for good golf gear, Old Navy is running a huge sale with 20% on top of clearance. I got another couple pairs of their GoDry Athletic Pants which are amazing and some polos. Ended up spending $85 with about $100 off.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So Rahm holes out with that rad rear end chip on #16. The ball moved as he was addressing it. Golf twitter sees the ball moved. The PGA Tour sees the ball moved. The CBS broadcast crew showed it several times and discussed it.

Somehow, Jon wasn't told about it until Amanda Balionis of CBS brought it up during his post-round interview.

How the gently caress does nobody mention this to him on 17 or 18 :psyduck:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

DJExile posted:

So Rahm holes out with that rad rear end chip on #16. The ball moved as he was addressing it. Golf twitter sees the ball moved. The PGA Tour sees the ball moved. The CBS broadcast crew showed it several times and discussed it.

Somehow, Jon wasn't told about it until Amanda Balionis of CBS brought it up during his post-round interview.

How the gently caress does nobody mention this to him on 17 or 18 :psyduck:

Because they were waiting to see if golf twitter was going to go off about it to determine if they wanted to penalize him or not. When it got retweeted 10k times they had to.

Realistically, it shouldn't have been a penalty. There's nothing you can do if you put your club down in the rough behind your ball and it moves half a millimeter. It didn't improve his lie, it didn't change anything at all. So stupid.

Very, very different from Bryson patting down the rough and then dropping his ball right in that spot.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh it's totally different from Bryson, and yeah it's a very dumb rule given the lie, but the fact that some rules official didn't at least mention it to him is kind of amazing.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

He supposedly did the same thing a few holes earlier right after the end of the rain delay but I didn’t see that one. Then again, pretty much every pro does the exact same thing and at this point they should probably just change the rule. Even though fans can’t call in rules infractions any more, having a rules official watching the tv coverage still makes tournament leaders and certain other players much more likely to get caught than others which doesn’t seem right.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Didn't they implement, or modify an existing, rule that prohibits a penalty if the infraction/mistake/whatever is only viewable in HDTV, like yesterdays issue? If they were not zoomed in no one would have ever known the ball moved 2 blades of grass to the left.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
You guys ever get the urge just to buy something new? All of a sudden I want a new driver, which is probably stupid because I’m hitting my G15 pretty dang good right now, but that G400 just looks like it’s going to be my next purchase.

Talk me into or out of it goons. I’ve hit some of the longest drives of my life this year with the G15, but it’s 10 years old now, I think that’s a long enough timeframe to think about something new.

I’m not worried about the coat aspect, as I’ll probably just sell a few bottles of bourbon to fund it.

I don’t have some crazy expectation that I’ll gain 20 yards or something, but 10 years of tech improvement may mean something right?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

You guys ever get the urge just to buy something new? All of a sudden I want a new driver, which is probably stupid because I’m hitting my G15 pretty dang good right now, but that G400 just looks like it’s going to be my next purchase.

Talk me into or out of it goons. I’ve hit some of the longest drives of my life this year with the G15, but it’s 10 years old now, I think that’s a long enough timeframe to think about something new.

I’m not worried about the coat aspect, as I’ll probably just sell a few bottles of bourbon to fund it.

I don’t have some crazy expectation that I’ll gain 20 yards or something, but 10 years of tech improvement may mean something right?

I was in the same boat as you and you see how that turned out for me. Just do it! YOLO and all that jazz :)

Get the G410 though and we can be matching driver buddies :)

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Made it out to a local Toptracer Range over the weekend and it was pretty cool. I played virtual 9 holes and then I just whacked through like 200 more balls. I was all by myself but it would definitely be cool to play the virtual couses with someone else.

My new range routines have me switching clubs up a lot anyway, like I'll hit a driver or 3 wood then a mid iron then wedge to a specific target. Really trying to break 80 this year and I credit this routine woth getting me a few 40s on 9 holes. I've been playing for 25 years and have never put a 9 hole score under 40.

Any cool range routines out there?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played first round with my Shotscope V3. I do not wear a watch, period. I certainly don't while golfing. It was fine. I had a few moments where I thought, as part of the preshot setup, wow, I hate having a watch sweating up my wrist, but it was fine.

It works. I had one hole that it just missed, recorded no strokes. Easy to add. Had two holes that had not been updated in the software to reflect the new greens the course put in. It was nice to see post round the distances, and where the misses were, etc.

Recording putts would probably work better if you have a tag in the putter, which I cannot do since I use a counter-balanced putter. So, you have to push a button when you use the putter, it records where you are, and then your next shot is also a manual button push and so on. Then record the hole while standing next to the pin and it records the pin location.

Had an ok round, hit the hell out of my driver, which has been all over the place. Hit my 5i fat all drat day, and it's my go to safe club off the tee.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

DoctaFun posted:

I went for a full bag fitting in early July and got new everything except my 10 to 15 year old driver.

I tried about 8,367 different combinations of new drivers/shafts and had better spin rates, launch angles, and obviously distance with old rear end driver. My fitter just laughed and told me to put my driver back in my bag and keep it until I break it.

I know where you're coming from because I was actually disappointed... until I got the bill for everything else... christ.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

I'm gonna be the killjoy here. I've got a full set of G15s I've had since like 2009 as well, and frankly I'm getting great contact on them and don't see a lot of reason to change. A lot of the drivers with sliding weights and adjustable lofts and stuff scream "gimmick that can also break easily" to me. I'm probably in the wrong on that second sentiment but it always nags at me.

If you're getting good contact and the most that you need to do is maybe re-grip things then I'd run with that set for a while.

I definitely get the call of Gear Acquisition Syndrome [points 2 entire post history in Dorkroom subforum], but if you've got a good thing going, is dropping 4 figures on a new set of stuff really going to help your game?

Hell, even if it's just the driver you replace, I don't know if you're really going to see that much behind a placebo effect. Golf marketing thrives on that effect like all hell.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Infomaniac posted:

Made it out to a local Toptracer Range over the weekend and it was pretty cool. I played virtual 9 holes and then I just whacked through like 200 more balls. I was all by myself but it would definitely be cool to play the virtual couses with someone else.

My new range routines have me switching clubs up a lot anyway, like I'll hit a driver or 3 wood then a mid iron then wedge to a specific target. Really trying to break 80 this year and I credit this routine woth getting me a few 40s on 9 holes. I've been playing for 25 years and have never put a 9 hole score under 40.

Any cool range routines out there?

What you describe is basically what Rick says in this video. I used to just blow through the bucket, but I’ve adopted this method too. I’ve never shot on a sim though, so I’m not familiar with the targets available.

https://youtu.be/pZRBJkvrlz4

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

DJExile posted:

I'm gonna be the killjoy here. I've got a full set of G15s I've had since like 2009 as well, and frankly I'm getting great contact on them and don't see a lot of reason to change. A lot of the drivers with sliding weights and adjustable lofts and stuff scream "gimmick that can also break easily" to me. I'm probably in the wrong on that second sentiment but it always nags at me.

If you're getting good contact and the most that you need to do is maybe re-grip things then I'd run with that set for a while.

I definitely get the call of Gear Acquisition Syndrome [points 2 entire post history in Dorkroom subforum], but if you've got a good thing going, is dropping 4 figures on a new set of stuff really going to help your game?

Hell, even if it's just the driver you replace, I don't know if you're really going to see that much behind a placebo effect. Golf marketing thrives on that effect like all hell.

You make a lot of good points, definitely not looking to do anything apart from the driver, as I know what a 3 wood does for my game(nothing), and I absolutely love my irons still. I bought my Ping s56 irons used like 9 years ago and they’ve held up so well. Especially considering I’ve probably put like 150+ rounds on them.

Maybe I’ll just buy a couple new fishing rods instead :getin: , *browses FB marketplace and finds a couple G Loomis rods that would allow me to have rods rigged up for lindy rigs, pitching jigs, and .... another rod for lindy’s or pitching jigs when I have someone else in the boat? That sounds necessary for sure.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I have been striping my 3 wood lately which usually means my driver has gone to poo poo. I was working my way up through the bag at the driving range yesterday, pulled out the 3 wood and hit 5 consecutive bombs straight down the middle. Put it back in the bag and left. I didn't even want to see how bad I was going to hit my driver.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Daric posted:

I have been striping my 3 wood lately which usually means my driver has gone to poo poo. I was working my way up through the bag at the driving range yesterday, pulled out the 3 wood and hit 5 consecutive bombs straight down the middle. Put it back in the bag and left. I didn't even want to see how bad I was going to hit my driver.

I’ve been so crap off the tee from about mid 2017 - mid 2019, but really have been decent lately. My 5 wood is even back with a vengeance, which is great, because I love that club for short par 4s or weird target golf type holes where I can’t hit driver.

Maybe it’s time to bust the old 3 wood out and see how it fairs with my now shorter backswing ... swing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I thought about taking an early afternoon and playing today but it was literally 100*F. No mas por favor.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I feel like it's worth going to test some new drivers if your current driver is 10 years old and you want to get an upgrade. Between the numerous no upcharge shaft upgrades you can get with so many drivers and how forgiving a lot of the new heads are it's worth checking out.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Finally got round to playing the Twenty Ten at Celtic Manor today. Beautiful course, great fun, but fuuuuuuck is it punishing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Odd hits a couple times today. Hit my opening driver about 290, normally 270 for me. Hit my tee shot 5 iron (my 205 club) on 8 257 yards (for perspective, it's an elevated tee, but I normally still only hit 220). On 17, hit my tee shot 5 wood (my 225 club) 267 yards.

No real wind today, and I wasn't hitting the ball really that far most of the day. In the two really odd distance examples, I'm glad they weren't approaches. I'd love to consistently hit those distances, but it was just bizarre.

Also, this guy. The video starts after he's just over half way through his pre-shot routine. He does what you see in the video twice before each shot, because he does it all before his practice shot, too, identical. He does this before every shot, including putts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeWmzpCnYcw

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Also, this guy. The video starts after he's just over half way through his pre-shot routine. He does what you see in the video twice before each shot, because he does it all before his practice shot, too, identical. He does this before every shot, including putts.

I want this man tried in The Hague.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

I want this man tried in The Hague.

Watching him line up a 5 foot putt and do that routine is maddening. He was a pretty good golfer, but not one part of that routine does anything beneficial.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol at all that for a 100mph over the top delivery

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Josh Lyman posted:

Lol at all that for a 100mph over the top delivery

He had a nice, repeatable mild fade with his driver for 240 or so on average. Lamented not reaching a 299 yard green, tried to reach a green that needed 266 carry (on the video).

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

torgeaux posted:

Watching this makes me angry. Playing with this person would be impossible.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BCRock posted:

Watching this makes me angry. Playing with this person would be impossible.

One did have to turn away.

The couple I was playing with referred to this guy as the ying to my yang. I am an extremely effecient golfer in terms of time use.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Okay golfer goons, I have a question (and a notsohumble-brag). If you shot 3 under par for nine holes in a league, and then 3 under par a week later on the other nine, can you count that as a -6 round?? I know it basically works that way for handicap purposes but I’m not sure if that’s a legit thing. My best ever actual round is -4 and then several -3s. Last week I had six pars and three birdies, and then the same thing again tonight.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

Okay golfer goons, I have a question (and a notsohumble-brag). If you shot 3 under par for nine holes in a league, and then 3 under par a week later on the other nine, can you count that as a -6 round?? I know it basically works that way for handicap purposes but I’m not sure if that’s a legit thing. My best ever actual round is -4 and then several -3s. Last week I had six pars and three birdies, and then the same thing again tonight.

Nah. You're still stuck at -4.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

No, no you can't count that as a -6 round, sorry :)

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Deep down I knew that was the answer. I probably only play like 10 legitimate rounds a year since so much of my playing is either in leagues, scrambles, or practicing. Before this covid stuff happened I was considering joining the golf association that runs tournaments in my area and it’s definitely something I want to do next year as long as my schedule will still be semi compatible. Looking at the scores from previous events I think I’d be capable of winning every now and then, plus it would be a nice change of pace to play real golf with other good players that are all focused more on playing well than drinking and messing around.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 23, 2020

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I feel personally attacked

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
F it, I’m going to buy a new driver tomorrow. G400 here I come(unless I really hit it like crap or something)

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
YOLO

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

F it, I’m going to buy a new driver tomorrow. G400 here I come(unless I really hit it like crap or something)

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

I was really hoping I'd match up well with the new TaylorMade Sim driver when I went for my fitting, no matter the configuration he put me in I could not hit it, like at all, it was weird.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Really wanted to get to the range today since I’ve only played once since Memorial Day and I’m playing tomorrow, thunderstorms all day today, boo.

At least I’ll suck in the sunshine tomorrow

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I hate drivers in general. I have some rounds where I hit 11/14 fairways, and others where I can't hit it for poo poo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i also hate drivers, its the only club i have that i just splice the gently caress out of every time.

we were on a smaller 9 hole course last weekend with really tight doglegs to the right, and as a lefty i splice left. I was getting really good distance and had the fucker gone straight i would have been set up perfectly every time.

Instead, the bushes ate most of a box of balls :saddowns:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Orrrr not, the g400 is sold out everywhere, online, in store, everywhere.

Guess I’ll stick with my G15 until the used prices on eBay come down a bit. They are selling for more on eBay than they were brand new :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

Orrrr not, the g400 is sold out everywhere, online, in store, everywhere.

Guess I’ll stick with my G15 until the used prices on eBay come down a bit. They are selling for more on eBay than they were brand new :(.
I’ve been meaning to ask, why the G400 and not the G410? Maybe try used?