Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/ee7Cj1e.mp4

Hello friends! Welcome to the TGO Disc Golf Thread. ITT We will discuss one of the finest sports games activities The Great Outdoorstm has to offer. This OP will serve as a brief explainer of the game and provide some basic resources, and hopefully after that we can continue the discussion on where & how to best throw discs into trees while enjoying a walk in the woods and a cold beer with friends.

https://i.imgur.com/SSxCvFi.mp4
Disc Golf aka Frolf aka The People's Golf is fundamentally the same game as Golf, minus all the bullshit that comes with Golf. The 2 biggest differences are that Disc Golf is played with discs, instead of balls and clubs, and the goal is to throw the discs into raised baskets instead of a hole in the ground. The cost of entry is incredibly low (<$40), courses are accessible and community driven, and the game is both very relaxed and incredibly challenging at the same time. You can buy one set of discs and get years worth of entertainment all over the world out of them without ever dropping another dime into it. Like Golf, drinking beer is a fundamental element of the sport and your extra discs make an excellent place to rest your beer while you throw.

The Rules are drat near the same as golf: You throw your first disc from a tee, which is usually a concrete pad, and attempt to reach the basket in as few throws as possible. Each subsequent throw is thrown from wherever your last disc landed. Baskets have pars, and your score is however many over or under the par you throw for each hole. Technically there are more rules than that, but frankly they don't matter and you can learn the rest as you go.

Disc Golf Courses are mostly located on public land and tend to be much more rugged than Golf courses. They more often than not have no fee to play & are usually maintained by a local community of golfers They range from 9 to 36 holes and range wildly from sweeping open vistas with maintained grass, to heavily forested trails with baskets scattered throughout. IMO the best disc golf courses are the ones that feel like you get to both go hiking and play disc golf at the same time. Thankfully, this is most courses. Below is a picture of one of my buddies teeing off in Breckenridge, CO. Tell me this doesn't look like a wonderful way to spend a day:

In golf, you have one ball that you hit with a variety of clubs. In Disc Golf, you have a variety of discs that you throw, each with its own weight, shape, and flying characteristics. But they aren't Frisbees! They're smaller, denser, and shaped somewhere between a Frisbee and an Olympic-style Discus disc. There are 3 main styles of discs, and a rating system used to explain each disc's flight characteristics.

Drivers & Fairway Drivers
Designed to be thrown as far as possible, the Driver is usually the first disc you throw on each hole. The fly best when thrown hard and are usually the most specialized of the discs. When throwing these, you're really leaning on the characteristics of the disc to help it land where you want it to. Fairway drivers are very similar to Drivers, but they usually lean a little more in favor of control instead of raw distance.

Mid-Range / Approach
Designed to be thrown a reasonable distance with great accuracy. Unless you're playing a fairly long hole, your second shot is usually done with your mid-range disc. If you were going to buy one single disc and never use another, you'd buy a mid-range. In fact, some professionals recommend beginners learn to drive well with their mid-range disc before even touching a driver.

Putter
It's like a mini Frisbee. Your putter is shaped to fly as straight as possible for a short distance, so you can sink those putts and hear the beautiful sound of the chains.

DISC RATINGS
Disc Golf Discs have a frankly unreasonably weird rating system and despite playing for years I still regularly have to reference what the numbers are for each rating. Instead of typing it out, I will just post Innova's explanation:

Where do I buy Discs?
You can get basic discs at most sporting goods stores, and I would encourage you to seek out stores in your area that actually dedicate space & knowledge to disc golf. Not only will they help you pick out the right disc, they usually have the coolest selection of discs. I was on vacation in Asheville, NC a few years ago on May 4th, and the local sport shop was carrying a few Star Wars discs to celebrate, which ruled. Check out this sweet disc:

You think Dicks is gonna have custom Star Wars discs? Hell naw. If you don't have access to a store with discs, then there are tons of online retailers. Try to buy from actual stores and not Amazon.

BRANDS
Innova and Disc Craft are the two big ones, but there are tons of others. I wouldn't stress the brand of the disc at all, honestly.

JUST TELL ME WHAT DISCS TO BUY
OK, you could get a Disc Craft Buzz and an Innova Aviar , never buy another disc again, and throw happy for the rest of your life.

EASY:
https://i.imgur.com/qAAT8pD.mp4

J/K. Throwing discs far and accurately is very challenging. Though there is some skill transfer from being able to throw a Frisbee, the fundamentals motion is pretty different. I will post three videos below to cover the 3 main types of throws you'll be making. Back Hand, Forehand, and putt:

Back Hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgn6Os4YSW0

Forehand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC2EzKvM3bo

Putt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4spUSMi6xm0

The best advice I ever got as a beginner was this:
Don't try to throw the disc far. Just try to get it to land where you want on the fairway. Once you can reliably get it to land where you want, then try to throw just a little further. Just repeat that as time goes on and you'll get better. If you try to throw far at first you're just going to end up shanking your disc into the woods and that's funny once or twice but 18 times in a row can be infuriating.

PDGA and Disc Golf Course Review are the two main resources for finding courses. I love DGCR and often it's the best place to find out current course conditions and realistic takes on the pros and cons of each course. Facebook, despite being horrible, is also often a good resource for information on local courses. I almost always travel with 2-3 discs in my bag because there are courses everywhere and it can be a great way to get outside the tourist bubble of any given area.

https://i.imgur.com/lKASGna.mp4

I love Disc Golf. It's COVID-safe, community driven, accessible, and challenging. The people that play it are friendly, it is an excellent excuse to spend an afternoon outside, you can play it year round, and it's just as fun with a few beers in you as it is in a serious game with money on the line. Do yourself a favor: get some discs, get some friends (maybe you'll find some here) and go throw some discs!

:siren: GOON ACE DICS :siren:

focIP

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Hell yeah disc golf kicks so much rear end.

Highly recommend downloading UDisc - the official app of the PDGA. It's great for keeping score, looking up where the gently caress the next teepad is, reminding yourself if this hole you just hit the first available tree on is a par 4 or a par 3, and finding courses near you. https://www.udisc.com/

Free for a month. 5bux a year if you like it and want to save your scorecards, participate in leaderboards and use cloud storage.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Recommendation for new players: Don't buy discs that blend in with your environment (green being a common offender), and think twice about buying discs that are "tie-dyed," or as we call them, camouflage. My bag is full of discs that are solid pink, orange, white, and sometimes blue or red. You would think yellow would be good but it's a bit too close to green. You can get away with the harder-to-see colors on stuff like putters but I'm not climbing through poison ivy to look for my buddy's leaf-green Destroyer that he shanked into the woods for the fifth time.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Easychair Bootson posted:

Recommendation for new players: Don't buy discs that blend in with your environment (green being a common offender), and think twice about buying discs that are "tie-dyed," or as we call them, camouflage. My bag is full of discs that are solid pink, orange, white, and sometimes blue or red. You would think yellow would be good but it's a bit too close to green. You can get away with the harder-to-see colors on stuff like putters but I'm not climbing through poison ivy to look for my buddy's leaf-green Destroyer that he shanked into the woods for the fifth time.

In the OP there is a photo of my friend throwing at Breckenridge, CO. That day we found a black driver in the rough on the 2nd or 3rd hole. I'd never seen a black disc before and I figured I would never throw it because what psycho would throw a black disc? A few holes later my friend asked to throw the disc, shanked it into the rough, and we never saw it again.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I have a green/brown Raptor that I love but I know what fate awaits it :(

Also this putting clinic by Zoey AnDyke is probably the best video on putting I've seen. Learn to putt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxdrvIB5S84

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

I used to play fairly often when I worked near a course. Would go after work. I will say that for me at least it goofed up my mechanics for throwing normal frisbees for a while as I kept expecting them to go out and break in the same patterns.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

There, now the forums will stay open.
Save your black discs and join us for the true madness that is winter disc golf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GgLwhc5eC4

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

fociP posted:

Save your black discs and join us for the true madness that is winter disc golf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GgLwhc5eC4

I got to play Brookview like a week before they closed it, fun little temp course!

I'm someone who got into disc golf not for the chill aspects, but because I've been really wanting something competitive in my life again. It's been a lot of fun, although the last two years I haven't gotten to play nearly as many tournaments as I wished. I do not play just to get out and drink or smoke, I play to win. Even if it means throwing 150ft at a time.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I just started back up in disc golf here in Flagstaff, AZ. We have awesome courses, with poo poo like this:

I haven't been in a while, but it's still fun. My shoulder hurts.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

christ I could hear every gif in the op, gave me flashbacks :staredog:

I recommend disc golf center for orders once you're more comfortable throwing. you can get fancy colors and bottom stamped discs as well as picking weights etc, from a range of brands. shipping is basically free and they've got a rewards system too.

thoughts on dogs as caddies? a friend used to have his carry a couple discs (and the :420:) in a lil harness/pack when we golfed

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 21, 2020

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.
I'm very charmed by the ads about 12 minutes into the Seviren Lang Memorial RD1 F9 coverage lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GQc8xPb2fQ&t=710s

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!
As a 15+ year Ultimate Frisbee player, let me tell you how much I have hated getting into this awesome sport. Over the years siblings and friends convinced me to come throw a round with their idiotic tiny discs that don't go where you aim them. I would leave dejected and irate. How could I be so bad at throwing discs? I'm GREAT at throwing discs. Repeat process every couple years. Get regular invites to the weekly game and politely turn them all down. gently caress disc golf it's dumb.

Enter: COVID-19

ALL ULTIMATE CANCELLED FOREVER

Finally cave and shove my few donated golf discs in a bag and head out to the local course to meet my buddies. It's as fun as I knew it would be even though I still can't drive a disc. Do a little research, get a little advice. Fast forward two months and I've bought a few more discs, pared down my bag to things I can throw ok, and have played every week since. Disc golf might be my new best friend. Also I'm pushing 40 and *gently caress* sprinting up and down the field.

PSA FOR ULTIMATE CONVERTS - You will have to relearn all your mechanics. Sorry, it sucks. A lot.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I've seen people out at courses throwing Ultrastars. I uh dont think they were making par but they looked like they were having fun!

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
I'm sorry to say this, but the thread title is all wrong. Regular golf is for beer, disc golf is for WEED

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

I'm sorry to say this, but the thread title is all wrong. Regular golf is for beer, disc golf is for WEED

:hmmyes:

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!

This absolutely helps me remember all the throwing advice I get.

:350:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

COURSE REPORT
COURSE: Calvert, MD.
Date: 6/24/2020
Holes 18
Course Conditions: Both partially flooded and on fire

https://i.imgur.com/iT2R2v1.mp4

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

I believe we can find middle ground and it can be for both

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

that's casual fire and water - go ahead and play your lie.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

well sure but innovas flint-and magnesium-lined drivers seemed like a good idea at the time

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I disc golf and I am Not Very Good.

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005
Played it for the first time today thanks to this thread.
Good stuff.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Man it feels great improving. I've been playing for about 10 months. There's a very tough wooded course near me that I've probably played a dozen times since October - according to UDisc my first round I scored +24. I pretty much only had a tomahawk and a putt and would make VERY LIBERAL use of mulligans. Just went +6, no mulligans. Ripping 250+ ft forehands off the tee, mixing in the backhand for layups and only using overhands to get out of the woods.

If I can ever get a backhand drive down, I might just make par some day.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Finally got out for the first time in months and I am in love with my maverick and roc x3. two questions:

1) I hosed up and bought a Nuke OS - how the gently caress do I throw this thing, I can never remember what overstable/understable means
2) I've ditched carrying a putter in favor of pizza/turbo-putting my medium drivers, this isn't really a question I just wanted to say I prefer that to carrying a stupid aviar

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!

slicing up eyeballs posted:

1) I hosed up and bought a Nuke OS - how the gently caress do I throw this thing, I can never remember what overstable/understable means

Never heard of it, that's how I know it ain't for me. I haven't heard of most discs though. :shrug:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Fast, overstable distance drivers such as the Nuke OS are typically going to be thrown by players with big beefy arms that can give the disc enough speed to get a full flight out of it. When they throw them on a slight hyzer (disc's outer rim slightly down on release), the disc will flip up to straight, hold the line for a bit and then fade hard to the left (assuming it's a right-handed, backhand throw) at the end of the flight. For player's with non-beefy arms, the disc is going to just dump left and not give you much distance before it hits the ground. If you're just starting out, it's pretty much going to only be useful as a utility disc for when you need to hit a short, sharp angle to the left (RHBH) or right (forehand).

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I was looking through some of the courses near me on dgcoursereview and I see some of them have pin position information for some of the holes. What's that about?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

net work error posted:

I was looking through some of the courses near me on dgcoursereview and I see some of them have pin position information for some of the holes. What's that about?

Most courses have 2-4 possible basket positions for each hole, which the course managers will switch up every now and then to provide variety. So the next time you play the course you may be shooting for a basket that's in a completely different position from the previous time you played.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Thom and the Heads posted:

Hell yeah disc golf kicks so much rear end.

Highly recommend downloading UDisc - the official app of the PDGA. It's great for keeping score, looking up where the gently caress the next teepad is, reminding yourself if this hole you just hit the first available tree on is a par 4 or a par 3, and finding courses near you. https://www.udisc.com/

Free for a month. 5bux a year if you like it and want to save your scorecards, participate in leaderboards and use cloud storage.

Also, The best part is it has a GPS map of many courses hole formats that helps with finding each new hole if it isn't clearly marked.

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 28, 2020

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Not to mention it can track stats across every round you play, even if you have someone else using the app (they can choose to either track scores or scores+stats), it'll just pop up on your Udisc saying that a round has been entered for you. They just added Leagues to it so nobody has to trade hands for a scorecard and you can watch other groups in real time too. I will always support them!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've got a couple disc golf weekend getaways each year and this year we did like 115 holes in 3 days that included almost 30 miles of walking. What a loving blast my arm is dead

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Some excellent disc golfing last weekend. Threw like 5-6 over par on a new course which for me is very good. I've become much more confident in my anhyzer shots and am looking forward to throwing a new course tomorrow!

Threw this for the first time and it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5S9Slo1QM0

Some frogs makin a racket on the back 9.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Aced a 228-foot hole on Thursday. Felt good.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Went out and hucked discs today, shot 11 over which is pretty good for me even though I blew two birdies. Also sunk like a 45 foot putt on the 19th which I never do, so that was a nice consolation to losing out to all the old retired dudes I play with who all shot 10 over.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Quantrill posted:

Aced a 228-foot hole on Thursday. Felt good.

Hell yes :thurman:

Made some tweaks to my drive & putt this week that results in some excellent shots including hitting this 80 foot putt

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What's the best way to practice in like a backyard or something? I finally caved and bought one of those Innova starter sets that has a driver, midrange, and putter and ready to get out there.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

net work error posted:

What's the best way to practice in like a backyard or something? I finally caved and bought one of those Innova starter sets that has a driver, midrange, and putter and ready to get out there.

Depends on how big of a yard you've got. I've got barely enough to practice putting so I got myself a basket and any field work I just go to a soccer field or somewhere with space.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
In the back yard you're mostly limited to putting practice. You don't have to have a basket, just some sort of target like a tree or a pole. I'd put some cardboard, clothing, or something over it to keep your putter from getting dinged up.

Typically disc golf practice means "field work" which is mostly about developing the timing and muscle memory involved in throwing. It's best done when you've got a stack of the same type of disc, but you can certainly do it with your three different discs.

I'd recommend that you just get out and play. Throw two discs from the tee and then play from the better one if you want to. Get a feel for the types of throws that you'll need to execute, then you can do some field work based on that.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

net work error posted:

If you have a couple hundred feet of space to work with in your backyard, definitely try doing some fieldwork. Practice throwing standstill backhands and using different throwing angles (anhyzer, straight, hyzer) to see how they affect the disc's flight and to learn your discs.

Dynamic Discs' fieldwork series seems ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UQ2AXYbPQY

Put a target somewhere in your yard and focus on your form while throwing at it.

EDIT:
Also this:

I'd recommend that you just get out and play.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I'd recommend that you just get out and play.

This seems like a good plan. I'm just here to have fun after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I try to be real strict about not cheating or taking extra throws. That lasts for as many as two entire holes before I just throw to have fun. 😀