Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

kazz posted:

It drives me wild how their two infant children are clearly the farthest thing from their minds at all times.

When they show up again suddenly grown, please someone photoshop them with something like "we were raised by a pack of feral opossums while you 2 were loving around". Oh, and tell Holbrook to stop drooling and put his pen down. We don't need the imagery of this here.

Evil Mastermind posted:

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack Here he is!

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Oh good! Locher-era Tracy is back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

:hmmyes:

How Wonderful! posted:

Amos and Edna have given their children away to the Fair Folk and it's in everybody's best interest to not speak their names aloud ever again. Beware...

Queen Titania thought their names were stupid and had them changed though.

She's a wise queen.

Edit: vv Jesus.

catlord fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 21, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

That's a solid :lol:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

curtadams posted:

It's even better if you've read the webcomic, because Rae being hyperinsecure is one of the running gags, e.g.

This is far better than the entire print run of Rae the Doe we've seen so far and I'm really baffled how the writing can feel so different with the exact same art style and character voices. It's like the author is just making their own bad fanfiction.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

not all that funny.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/...n-joshua-bryant

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

One thing that bothers me about the current RMMD storyline- I don't know if it's just supposed to be like we're seeing it ~through Sarah's imagination~ or whatever- but Rex and June don't look any younger. Part of the fun of doing a flashback is getting to draw your characters looking slightly different and I'm disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm

But June has a ponytail

kazz posted:

It drives me wild how their two infant children are clearly the farthest thing from their minds at all times.

Those babies are dead. Edda and Amos will be so bummed out about it if they ever notice.

Oh, look at you, TJ, suddenly giving a poo poo about Tiff drama

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FrumpleOrz posted:

The guy looks like a bodybuilder aging into the "just fat" age bracket. The comic's about carictures and pronounced features, give some attention to the square face and protruding jaw instead of burying it in his whole body frame.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Bruceski posted:

The guy looks like a bodybuilder aging into the "just fat" age bracket. The comic's about carictures and pronounced features, give some attention to the square face and protruding jaw instead of burying it in his whole body frame.

So...Warren Beatty when he made Dick Tracy

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Bruceski posted:

I think he’d look even more like Tracy if Holbrook has more detail on that coat beyond “yellow body tube.”

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #88 (1990)
-Alison Bechdel

(NSFW for nudity and sex:)

I find Toni and Clarice's duck lamp to be extraordinarily sinister in this strip, and I also like that despite the Mo and Harriett panels clearly intending to show a fading and fracturing relationship, they include some really real and earthy details. Harriett pointing out Mo's pimple is a really funny bit and perfectly placed-- right in the center of the nine-panel square grid that dominates the page. Obviously this lands differently in editions that don't offer the strips as one page each, but here in the Essential I think it's just perfect.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #88 (1990)
-Alison Bechdel

(NSFW for nudity and sex:)

I find Toni and Clarice's duck lamp to be extraordinarily sinister in this strip, and I also like that despite the Mo and Harriett panels clearly intending to show a fading and fracturing relationship, they include some really real and earthy details. Harriett pointing out Mo's pimple is a really funny bit and perfectly placed-- right in the center of the nine-panel square grid that dominates the page. Obviously this lands differently in editions that don't offer the strips as one page each, but here in the Essential I think it's just perfect.
I think all the details in the Mo and Harriett lines are following a standard trope of how after being in a relationship for a while, trivial things become a problem (squeezing the toothpaste tube in the center is a classic joke, although onion breath, used here, is classic too). Bechdel just does it well. I note the the zit line, which is the funniest bit of this mostly-drama strip, falls in the spot where she often has a climax. Often she does this to have space to soften a sharp conflict in a light strip but here it's the reverse, to not draw the sting of an unpleasant ending.

Toni and Clarice's good sex sequence is quite convincing in a medium that's not good for conveying that kind of thing. Bechdel uses much heavier and more complex shading than she usually does (note the shading around to Clarice's back in panel 3 and the directional changes in the shading on Clarice in panel 1 and Toni in panel 3). It's not Michelangelo, for sure, but the contrast with her usual flattish shading or even non-shading gives those panels a voluptuous feel.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

If anyone wants a Sonny av after the forums situation is resolved, the last panel is a good candidate.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

FrumpleOrz posted:

As much as I dislike the current Tracy team, at least they make their guest characters look like they're supposed to. Meanwhile Holbrook went "yellow hat, yellow coat, squared-ish jaw, good enough."

2017 Spiderman

1978 Comics

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

If anyone wants a Sonny av after the forums situation is resolved, the last panel is a good candidate.

It's only the first storyline, but that's an all-time Sonny moment.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Haifisch posted:

As much as I dislike the current Tracy team, at least they make their guest characters look like they're supposed to. Meanwhile Holbrook went "yellow hat, yellow coat, squared-ish jaw, good enough."

You forgot tiny arms.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I have to agree with Madi. It looks to me like Saul doesn't understand that Madi losing her grandmother is messing her up a lot, dismissed that as her acting up, and is now dumping her on Mary so he wouldn't have to deal with her.

And Mary continues to sound condescending. "You seem angry", jfc.

The lack of self-awareness from Batiuk is disgusting. He probably thinks he's being self-depreciating by having Les say he's going ruin the movie, but we already know that Les was the one to ruin the first attempt at the Cancerwife movie.

Green Intern posted:

This is the worst depiction of Dick Tracy I've ever seen.

Look, this version of Tracy isn't the worst because he's not killing criminals. Yet.

But this is Holbrook, so it's going to be something incredibly stupid like Dick Tracy shooting a gun into the internet to kill viruses or some poo poo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 1/25/42
I assumed, when they heard that Brenda and Tom were going to be taken away at midnight, that they'd rescue them before that, not just let it happen. :roflolmao:

Haifisch posted:

1978 Comics

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Hi! I've been lurking the thread for several years now. Recently I ran into two Finnish comic/cartoon albums and thought it could be interesting to post them here. So here we go:

B. Virtanen

B. Virtanen is a long-running comic strip created by Ilkka Heilä. Apparently the strip started in 1991. It tells about the life of the titular B. Virtanen (with Virtanen being a very generic, "boring" Finnish surname and B being a reference to a somewhat common way of referring good, productive employees/businesspeople as belonging in "class A", and failures or mediocre employees belonging in "class B".) The strip is very heavily built around Virtanen's job at Oy Firma Ab (essentially "Company Ltd") and how much his work there sucks. Many strips also deal with Virtanen's family life, which also sucks. I don't think I've ever read a comic strip that so relentlessly punches down on the protagonist and portrays their life as unending suffering, while also showcasing lots of really unpleasant cliches (this guy is a loser who hates his marriage! His wife is portrayed as a muscular person who threatens him! That kinda stuff.) I'll be posting this until I run out, but I'll stop if people find it too uninteresting or unpleasant.

ANSU

Antero "Ansu" Halla drew a lot of small comics & cartoons for various Finnish magazines, starting from 1964 and lasting until at least the end of the 70s, although I'm not sure about the exact history here. The cartoons were also exhibited in multiple art exhibitions, and this particular album has received art awards. If you like the Man in Black or the Horse in Black, you'll probably appreciate the absurd visual humour of these; I'm a huge fan. I guess somehow Finnish cartoonists have a tendency for this kind of stuff?

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 21, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Hempuli posted:

Hi! I've been lurking the thread for several years now. Recently I ran into two Finnish comic/cartoon albums and thought it could be interesting to post them here. So here we go:

B. Virtanen

B. Virtanen is a long-running comic strip created by Ilkka Heilä. Apparently the strip started in 1991. It tells about the life of the titular B. Virtanen (with Virtanen being a very generic, "boring" Finnish surname and B being a reference to a somewhat common way of referring good, productive employees/businesspeople as belonging in "class A", and failures or mediocre employees belonging in "class B".) The strip is very heavily built around Virtanen's job at Oy Firma Ab (essentially "Company Ltd") and how much his work there sucks. Many strips also deal with Virtanen's family life, which also sucks. I don't think I've ever read a comic strip that so relentlessly punches down on the protagonist and portrays their life as unending suffering, while also showcasing lots of really unpleasant cliches (this guy is a loser who hates his marriage! His wife is portrayed as a muscular person who threatens him! That kinda stuff.) I'll be posting this until I run out, but I'll stop if people find it too uninteresting or unpleasant.

ANSU

Antero "Ansu" Halla drew a lot of small comics & cartoons for various Finnish magazines, starting from 1964 and lasting until at least the end of the 70s, although I'm not sure about the exact history here. The cartoons were also exhibited in multiple art exhibitions, and this particular album has received art awards. If you like the Man in Black or the Horse in Black, you'll probably appreciate the absurd visual humour of these; I'm a huge fan. I guess somehow Finnish cartoonists have a tendency for this kind of stuff?

Thanks for sharing these! I always enjoy reading obscure comic strips :)

(Also I know I don't say it very often, but I really appreciate everyone posting comics itt. Reading this thread is seriously one of the highlights of my day. Thank you, y'all!)

Classic Kevin and Kell (September 24-29, 1995)

First appearance: Bruno, Corrie

Mikl fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 21, 2020

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (December 6, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (December 6, 1998)

Garfield Classic (December 6, 1988)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (December 6, 1988)

I roll my eyes whenever people say that classic Garfield is good, but this one I like.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kennel posted:

I roll my eyes whenever people say that classic Garfield is good, but this one I like.

:rolleyes:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kennel posted:

It's panel for panel a journey into Jon's insane mind, as first Garfield considers it a clever setup to trick Jon into flattening a lump in the tablecloth with a baguette, as if this was a completely normal thing to do, and then Jon proves him right by falling for it, confirming that yes, he really does not see anything odd about using a baguette to smooth out his tablecloth rather than just I don't know quickly shaking it out, and is furthermore prepared to put a great deal of vigor into the task, raising the question to even a casual observer just how hard he believes that lump to be especially in relation to his chosen tool; and none of that is even the punchline.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
That can't be the worst Dick Tracy becuase he isn't going on about Little Orphan Annie or Lum and Abner.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/20/00

Brenda Brawl 2/1/42

Smokey Stover 9/6/36

By That Time, My Lungs Were Aching for Air

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Oh poo poo. Is this that storyline? Or does that happen to April?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Boop

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

Oh poo poo. Is this that storyline? Or does that happen to April?

As I recall, it happens to April, so we're a couple years away.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Guys, they let Sonic pee whenever he wants.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bobulus posted:

As I recall, it happens to April, so we're a couple years away.

I don't plan to read it so can you tell me in spoilers what happens in that storyline?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Guys, they let Sonic pee whenever he wants.

Prison, better than working at amazon.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CommonShore posted:

I don't plan to read it so can you tell me in spoilers what happens in that storyline?

The dog dies saving April from drowning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

CommonShore posted:

Farley dies saving April from drowning in a river

Reportedly, after hearing where the story was going, Charles Shulz sent Lynn a letter threatening to kill Snoopy the very next week if she went through with it, and Lynn was basically like "Do it, old man."

This is the only cool thing Lynn has ever done.