Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I just got into a heated discussion with my wife's coworker over if the MAX in HBOMax is taken from CineMAX or not and we ended up yelling at each other over video chat and the real take away here is I need to get onto first shift so I stop overhearing their weird conversations that I might have opinions about.

I hope you were on the "no it isn't" side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IIRC Ken Jennings did some guest hosting earlier this year and he’s been the main guy rumored to take over when Alex retires or passes. I’d be okay with that. The guy’s a little bland but he seems like an okay dude.

My personal pick would be LeVar Burton because he’s been doing education-related stuff for decades (not that a trivia game show is education-related per se, but you know what I mean), he’s got a great announcer type voice, and he’s a funny and charming dude.

LeVar would be amazing, definitely would want to see that. I have this weird expectation that the Jeopardy Host is going to be someone doing that show for the rest of their life kind of thing, but not every show is like that. I guess it's just a comfortable gig for those few who get it to stick around for decades. Seen Match Game recently hosted by Jack from 30 Rock so lots of host positions are more rotatable.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rhyno posted:

And massive chunks of Grant Morrison's Invisibles.

And Doctor Who

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Khanstant posted:

LeVar would be amazing, definitely would want to see that. I have this weird expectation that the Jeopardy Host is going to be someone doing that show for the rest of their life kind of thing, but not every show is like that. I guess it's just a comfortable gig for those few who get it to stick around for decades. Seen Match Game recently hosted by Jack from 30 Rock so lots of host positions are more rotatable.
One thing I think that’s unique to Jeopardy is that there’s a sense the host is smart and knows many of the questions. Ken Jennings has that cured and LeVar does not.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GreenNight posted:

The Max is because the owner of the company is a huge Max Headroom fan.

They thought HBOMaxx would be too depressing

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Started on Alone because of the talk of it. Can anyone find me a gear list for season 1? Every site claiming to have it says it has major spoilers for the show, and the main website only seems to have the most recent season.

Enjoying it a lot already though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

One thing I think that’s unique to Jeopardy is that there’s a sense the host is smart and knows many of the questions. Ken Jennings has that cured and LeVar does not.

Agreed, I meant to say Jennings makes the most sense but derailed myself. He also seems like someone who could settle into the role for a long long time. Plus, he's been doing Jeopardy as his "job" in a way for a long time already.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Agreed, I meant to say Jennings makes the most sense but derailed myself. He also seems like someone who could settle into the role for a long long time. Plus, he's been doing Jeopardy as his "job" in a way for a long time already.

He also hasn't really mentioned or addressed it at all on his Twitter account. I would think that if he wasn't interested or being considered, he would have been more likely to joke about it on Twitter.

That, combined with him officially being crowned the GOAT at the beginning of this year, makes me think there might be something to that rumor/theory.

Which would be great, because KenJen is the best.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Let's go inside the mind of a Ken Jennings. *drrreeeedoeooooeoep*

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Harley Quinn cartoon series s1 and 2 will come to HBO Max on August 1st.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

Harley Quinn cartoon series s1 and 2 will come to HBO Max on August 1st.

Fine, I'll pay for another month, ugh

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How many shows are there where an actor leaves midway through or near the end of its run and from then on any time their character is mentioned it’s in the context of the other characters crapping on said character? Off the top of my head, that 70s show where any time Eric is mentioned it’s to point out what a weenie nerd bad boyfriend he was

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Calaveron posted:

How many shows are there where an actor leaves midway through or near the end of its run and from then on any time their character is mentioned it’s in the context of the other characters crapping on said character? Off the top of my head, that 70s show where any time Eric is mentioned it’s to point out what a weenie nerd bad boyfriend he was

It's not quite that, but in The Office after Michael leaves, he is almost always referred to only as "the old boss." I think there's maybe two episodes where his actual name is mentioned, and one of them is the one where Bob Odenkirk plays Michael's doppelganger.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

Diane on Cheers comes to mind.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I canceled HBO MAX today because gently caress it's still not on Roku and I'm not gonna watch TV on my laptop. On another note, it's weird that Disney made me wait to have my Disney+ account expire before I could do the Hulu bundle but here we are. Now I have ESPN+ which has all the sports I don't care about! (in reality there are no sports right now but man, I really wanted some curling and I don't see any)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Croatoan posted:

I canceled HBO MAX today because gently caress it's still not on Roku and I'm not gonna watch TV on my laptop. On another note, it's weird that Disney made me wait to have my Disney+ account expire before I could do the Hulu bundle but here we are. Now I have ESPN+ which has all the sports I don't care about! (in reality there are no sports right now but man, I really wanted some curling and I don't see any)

ESPN+ was great for college football and basketball. Football is a much bigger draw than basketball though in terms of regular season games so it will be interesting to see what ahppens this fall.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Doesn't every TV made in the past decade have a Chromecast built in?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Timby posted:

Diane on Cheers comes to mind.

See I was thinking of her too but even when she was there everyone disliked her with such intensity that it really doesn’t fit my example

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Josh Lyman posted:

The guy did a show about reading and learning for what, 20 years? What are your criteria here?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The only thing I wouldn't buy Geordi knowing is how to get a lady amirite

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Bruceski posted:

The guy did a show about reading and learning for what, 20 years? What are your criteria here?

Reading stories to children is a completely different skillset. Plus isn't he busy running his commercialized subscription version of Reading Rainbow that he kickstarted years ago.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Doesn't every TV made in the past decade have a Chromecast built in?

Mine is Roku and I have a Fire Stick so AT&T and Comcast are telling me to gently caress right off

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You should be able to Chromecast HBO Max from your browser to your Roku, which may or may not be choppy depending on your setup. Or if you have an Android phone, from your HBO Max app to your Roku without any issue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would say settle in and get used to these disputes. It would not surprise me in the least if Roku started losing other streaming services whenever carriage agreements come around again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think its inevitable and like... a Chromecast is $30 and a Fire Stick is $25 so it actually doesn't super bother me that I bought both and can get more or less everything on one or the other.

Even if I'm a whiny entitled brat when I can't get them all on one and have to switch to the other.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Pierce on Community, maybe?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Pierce on Community, maybe?

That’s not quite the same, since 90 percent of Pierce’s stuff when he was on the show was to set him up to get crapped on.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explosivo posted:

Any recent-ish streaming true crime or true crime adjacent series that might have gotten overlooked that I could watch with the ol lady? It's hard to get her hooked on a series enough to sit through it. I actually got her to finish Mindhunter, but after we wrapped that up haven't found something new.

Who Killed Little Gregory?

It's based on a famous French case that was a clusterfuck at every level up to having to replace the judge 5 years in and restart the investigation.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

swickles posted:

The only thing I wouldn't buy Geordi knowing is how to get a lady amirite

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

See I was thinking of her too but even when she was there everyone disliked her with such intensity that it really doesn’t fit my example

Maybe House of Cards? They spent the entire final season dragging Frank Underwood through (well-deserved) mud.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Calaveron posted:

That's a pretty small sample size to draw any conclusion from, like I can only think of a handful of shows where that happened.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Why does it remove Riker's beard

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

It's a faaaake

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thomas Riker must have replaced him at some point.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

I didn't see Troi in that comic at all

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Seen Match Game recently hosted by Jack from 30 Rock so lots of host positions are more rotatable.

Man, I was this close to going out of my way to track down Match Game before I realized you were probably just talking about Alec Baldwin. :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So today I learned both that Brigham Young University has a TV channel, and said TV channel has a terrible SNL-esque sketch show that is exactly as funny as you imagine.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Travelers was really bad. A really great premise with just a horrible execution and an unwillingness to change anything about their main characters. It just coasted for three seasons with only a couple tantalizing plot lines and devices to keep you interested. I was so tired after the 3rd revisiting of MacLaren’s wife angrily being suspicious of him or Carly’s baby issues or David being annoying and it never stopped. Ughhhhh

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Travelers was really bad. A really great premise with just a horrible execution and an unwillingness to change anything about their main characters. It just coasted for three seasons with only a couple tantalizing plot lines and devices to keep you interested. I was so tired after the 3rd revisiting of MacLaren’s wife angrily being suspicious of him or Carly’s baby issues or David being annoying and it never stopped. Ughhhhh

Look at this bad opinion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ok which one of you is this

https://twitter.com/immolations/status/1285227505985695750?s=21