Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Me ME! from the shop will also open the Mega Stan door for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I came so close. Got all the way to the final phase and my brain flatlined and I made several dumb mistakes in a row

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ariong posted:

Oh, except I was wrong about blowing up key beggars, that doesn’t do anything anymore.

I think it's the devil (red heart) vendors that you can kill to get better Angel Room chances.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

It even teased me by giving me restock, chaos, and then a blank card but I couldn't quite pull off the infinite loop

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Waffle! posted:

Yes. Cheating the Devil is encouraged.

You can also use the Diplopia item to duplicate everything in the devil room or the item room, making zero-cost duplicates that you can steal.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Didn't expect to see this thread resurgence before the forever delayed expansion came out!

It's been a while since I last played but I've seen gotten that board game and been playing it often with friends and family, probably the weirdest but coolest thing to come out of it.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

I've downgraded to regular Afterbirth for daily runs because the game balance there is so much more enjoyable. Today and yesterday were both Tech X runs

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I started up a third save file.

I'm pretty proud of this one. On my first Cain run, I did three victory laps and unlocked the "Rerun" achievement. This is a save file that does not have the Dark Room unlocked (only way to do a victory lap is to beat the Lamb). On the 2nd lap, it turns you into the Lost. It takes 12 sacrifices to get teleported to the Dark Room, which meant I had to track down another Dead Cat to get enough lives to kill myself 12 times.

I bring this up not just to brag but to note for all the new players how high-risk, high-reward Isaac is. The third floor of this run I had a decision point that snowballed the rest of it. I have 1 heart container left and half a blue heart, and the deal is devil wings. Flight is great, and I know there's a stone chest elsewhere in the level inaccessible because of rocks. Also a few coins I could get with flight. I'm playing on hard so drops are hard to come by.

Taking the devil deal put me right on the edge, but the stone chest spit out a key and enough coins combined with the rest of the level to go into the shop and find a Steam Sale. The next floor's got a Greed fight, which gets me another Steam Sale, and everything snowballs from there into a Left Hand run that gets me enough blue hearts to use the sacrifice room to get to the Dark Room.

You gotta see the snowball unfold before it happens. I'd recommend watching a few Northernlion videos; he always talks through his decisions and you can learn all the ways to snowball.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I love the high-risk/high-reward nature of this game. A run earlier wasn't going my way. I took a big gamble on a devil room with a 1 heart item and 2 heart item while curse of the blind was plaguing me. I was at 4 red hearts before the deal and walked away with a bunch of eternal hearts and increased damage + move speed. That was a game changer and the beginning of the snow ball.

I bought RE4 this afternoon so my Isaac time is going to be diluted. I'm mega hyped. I haven't played RE4 since I was a senior in high school and I had it on GameCube.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Very next run I managed to put the two key pieces together and was absolutely barreling towards Satan with Deadeye and a shitload of tears/damage upgrades. It's been a few months since I played so my mind blanked out and i picked up a dead cat in a cellar right before Satan and immediately knew I'd hosed up. I'm gonna be kicking myself over that for a week

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 19, 2020

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Very next run I managed to put the two key pieces together and was absolutely barreling towards Satan with Deadeye and a shitload of tears/damage upgrades. It's been a few months since I played so my mind blanked out and i picked up a dead cat in a cellar right before Satan and immediately knew I'd hosed up. I'm gonna be kicking myself over that for a week

That dead cat is the loving worst.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Guys, dead cat is a guppy item so it's automatically good

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

There are other better items, like the paw or head. I won an early game due to the head. I was making giant flys and clobbering enemies with them.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

You can do wild things with dead cat + a bunch of items, like potato peeler, but it can also lead to bad runs where you die to the same boss 9 times in a row, because you have 1 health

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How does dead cat + potatoes peeler work?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

That dead cat is the loving worst.

It’s quite good if you know how to use it. It sets you to one red heart container when you grab it, so if you have none (or more importantly, spend your last container buying it from a devil room) it is a net gain. It brings you one step closer to being guppy, which is a game winning transformation. It lets you buy out any devil room.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 19, 2020

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Wildtortilla posted:

How does dead cat + potatoes peeler work?

You kill yourself a bunch for some meatboys.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Ohho hi I never considered buying out devil rooms with the cat. Or making meat boys.

Is there a way to ever have more than a single heart with the dead cat?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

Ohho hi I never considered buying out devil rooms with the cat. Or making meat boys.

Yeah, pick up health up items after dead cat and you'll get more hearts

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Just note that each life only ever starts with one heart, so if you get more and then die you're back to square one.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Dead Cat is always an instant grab for me. It's pretty simple arithmetic - you're trading one heart for nine hearts. No brainer.

If you're uncomfortable with the idea of one heart, now may be a great time to spend some time unlocking stuff with Judas! 'sgood practice.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

It just sets you to one heart when you pick it up, it’s not a constant effect.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I 100% know where you are coming from on hating the dead cat. When I started with Isaac it was a cursed item to me, because I couldnt beat most of the bosses without taking a hit or two, which would then put me back outside the boss room with one heart to try again. So I'd only take it if it was my third guppy item. Then I realised that if the devil room contained Abaddon (increased damage and speed, removes all heart containers and grants 6 Black hearts) and the dead cat, there was zero reason to not trade for the dead cat then trade that one heart for Abaddon (if you havent noticed by now, if a devil deal is more red hearts than you have, you can still get it, it just takes whatever you have). Then I realised that the dark bum or satanic bible (or anything else that can regularly generate soul or black hearts) mitigates the downside of the dead cat significantly. Then I just played a lot and started semi-regularly clowning bosses. Once you learn their patterns and tells most bosses arent actually too bad. Now I love the dead cat and its a slam pick like 90% of the time!

tldr: It is actually a really strong item, but until you know the game well it can be rough. Try it with things that give soul hearts, and always cheat devil deals where possible.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

SiKboy posted:

(if you havent noticed by now, if a devil deal is more red hearts than you have, you can still get it, it just takes whatever you have)

At least for now; apparently Repentance is going to change that (by making it so that if you only have one red heart container, the cost of the 2-red-heart deals changes to one red heart and two soul hearts). So get it while it's still cheap :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Another great way to play out sacrifice rooms is via bone hearts but uh....actually getting those unlocked is a whole fuckin' process. :sweatdrop:

Also a general pro-tip that's may or may not be too obvious but I figure I'd mention it just in case: If you're struggling with the back half of the game, including Mega Satan, definitely start learning how to drain out your red health ahead of time so you can always proc the Polaroid on taking damage. The Negative too, I guess, but that's generally less useful.

Probably also goes without saying but if you're trying to knock out Mega Satan, do it via the Chest so you have the Polaroid. It's a long enough fight that it won't totally pull your rear end out of the fire, but it's an edge you can generally guarantee having on your side.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I got to the chest yesterday with the D6. That first room is a real Joy with the D6!

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
So I resolved my dailies getting hacked or bugged (changed pw on switch).
I had 1001 but it's now real platinum God. My secret 386( use 5 horfs)is now locked even though I've gotten and used marbles. Did a greed break run to get the horfs again but it didnt unlock.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
If you're having trouble with Mega Stanley, my best advice is to try to get ahold of a blank card and a Jera rune. Combine that with anything that juices up your active items, in particular Car Battery and Tarot Cloth. Once you hit The Chest, dupe the gently caress out of the four golden chests in the starting room. I'm just assuming you're drowning in keys by now since you're literally an item printing machine at this point, if not, wait for a brown chest to spawn in another room of The Chest and dupe that.

Any chests you open (except red ones) in The Chest are guaranteed to have an item inside them, so Jera lets you exponentially duplicate items. Try to keep one or two rooms stacked with chests and clear the floor, returning to dupe more chests as you fill your meter. Open them all, grab an assorted grabbag of a several dozen random items and melt that fucker. Or die horribly because you picked up one run-ending item but hey, that's Isaac.

Edit: Blank card + Jera is gamebreaking in just about every other way. Ever want to see what happens when the game tries to fill a room with several hundred coins at once? You will!

Wild T fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 20, 2020

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I bought RE4 on Saturday, played it for about 3 hours over Sat-Sun, and I'm back to Isaac already. I realized this morning I haven't played as Lilith yet, so now I'm 30ish minutes into my first Lilith run and it's going quite well AND I killed my first angel and have half a key piece. If I understand things correctly, if I collect the other key piece, I should head to The Chest where there will be a door I can unlock to fight Mega Stanley?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ariong posted:

It lets you buy out any devil room.

Does it? It seems like if you kill yourself buying a devil item the dead cat would revive you back in the boss room and the door to the devil room might disappear. Or does the door to the devil room always stay there in this situation?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Wildtortilla posted:

I bought RE4 on Saturday, played it for about 3 hours over Sat-Sun, and I'm back to Isaac already. I realized this morning I haven't played as Lilith yet, so now I'm 30ish minutes into my first Lilith run and it's going quite well AND I killed my first angel and have half a key piece. If I understand things correctly, if I collect the other key piece, I should head to The Chest where there will be a door I can unlock to fight Mega Stanley?

Yep. You can also be a dipshit like me and do it via the Dark Room.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

The Moon Monster posted:

Does it? It seems like if you kill yourself buying a devil item the dead cat would revive you back in the boss room and the door to the devil room might disappear. Or does the door to the devil room always stay there in this situation?

The trick is to run out of the devil room before the game subtracts your health and kills you. You will then respawn back in the devil room

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Greenplastic posted:

The trick is to run out of the devil room before the game subtracts your health and kills you. You will then respawn back in the devil room
And if you do get revived back in the boss room, you can kill yourself again with a bomb to get back to the devil room (assuming the devil door closed of course).

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Assuming I don't gently caress up my run, I'll be to the Chest shortly with a completed key and a Jera rune.

Jera Q: I'm assuming I can pop Jera at the start of the Chest to turn the 4 chests into 8 chests. Will I get 8 unique items, or will the chests contain duplicate items?

Key Q: Does fighting Mega Stanley (I'm very grateful for the typo on the previous page) end the run? This is my first Lilith run so every boss I kill is a first and I'm trying to see just how many completion marks I can squeeze out of this run. I haven't fought ??? as Lilith and I've never fought Mega Stanley as any character. I'm not expecting to win vs Mega Stanley cause I don't know the fight and my current run isn't shaping up to be a cake walk. I think things may be winnable, but it's contingent on me playing very well. Does anything happen when I unlock the door for the first time? Like, since I have this key should I open the door? I'm pretty confident in winning vs ???, so I could kill ??? then circle back to Mega Stanley. Am I over thinking this?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

When you reach the chest with the key it will automatically unlock the door. You don't have to walk through it until you've done whatever else you want to on the floor. If you want to beat the other boss first, just make sure you don't touch the big chest and end the run. Mega Stan, on the other hand, will end the run immediately when he goes down.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Gold chest contents are unique to the chest when opened, so you get 8 separate items.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

This thread being active again has actually got me back into playing Issac. 1000000% is the last achievement I have outstanding (on the PS4). I've two challenges left, Ultra Hard and Backasswards, and, while I've beaten Delirium with all characters, it looks like some of them havent done it on Hard difficulty. Kind of want to get that knocked off before the final expansion comes out and adds a bunch of stuff you also need to do/unlock/see to get the achievment. So a couple of questions for people who have actually completely done everything;

1) Do I need to beat delirium on Hard with those characters who have only beat him on normal? As far as I know beating him on Hard doesnt unlock anything else once you have done it with one character, so I'm assuming not but best to check.

2) Backasswards. loving Backasswards. This is what I was beating my head off when I quit playing before. Does anyone have any hints to make this less painful, or is it "Just keep trying until it hands you a combination of items which can beat Mega Stanley"? I'm kind of out of practice with fighting MS as I've been off the game for a while, and backasswards gives you 8-10 random items so you are significantly less powerful than I'd normally be fighting the bastard. If I keep it up long enough I'll eventually get a pyromaniac/exploding shots combination that would trivialise him, but its pure RNG.

3) Ultra Hard seems to be a bit of a bastard as well. I glanced at the wiki and saw "no hearts drop" and thought it'd be a challenge, I didnt realise that means anything that would normally drop hearts drops nothing instead, until I used my only bomb on a fake rock which dropped... gently caress all. I dont have a question here, more just a complaint.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I killed It Lives and it seemed that the only thing that dropped was a bomb pickup. The next floor I started shooting tears again and noticed I have a second Incubus familiar following Lilith. I'm thinking that it dropped from It Lives while I was standing on the spot it dropped and I picked it up without noticing. But, there were no empty pedestals in the room after the fight. An Incubus would have been on a pedestal, correct? And empty pedestals persist, correct? I'm really confused! It's definitely not from Box of Friends - the second Incubus is following me around from room to room and I swapped out the Box of Friends several floors ago in favor of another active item.

edit: Incubus couldn't have dropped, because it's unlocked by beating Hush as Lilith. I've never beaten Hush and this is still my first run as Lilith! Where did this second Incubus come from?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Maybe it was one of those that spawn when you pick enough hearts or get damaged enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

IUG posted:

Maybe it was one of those that spawn when you pick enough hearts or get damaged enough.

Oh it could be from Bumbo. I have a level 4 Bumbo following me around.