Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dangerllama posted:

Some notes on fly fishing
Thanks for the comprehensive post, Dangerllama.

But to any novices or aspiring fly fishermen: It's not hard. Go to bass proshops and take the intro class. It's free and takes an hour. Then buy a cheap rod/reel combo, some line, a pack of leaders, some tippet, and whatever flies your local fly shop recommends. Tell them you're new and they'll bend over backwards to help you. You can learn to cast in under an hour (or 3 years if you try to teach yourself), and spend less than $100 and be a fully effective fly fisherman.

If you want to splurge, buy some nice Scientific Anglers line. That'll make the biggest quality of life difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

As the previous OP, I support this post. And I've already ordered my dickspoons.

Is there a link to the dickspoons?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

crazypeltast52 posted:

Is there a link to the dickspoons?
There's a channel in the discord. Come join us. Both this thread and the discord are very active.

https://discord.gg/2KMhqB

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Dik Hz posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Feather-Thief-Obsession-Natural-History/dp/110198161X

So, those old fly patterns are completely ineffective compared to your basic wooly bugger, and purely designed to show off the status of the fly-tier. I linked an interesting non-fiction book about a guy investigating a theft of really old extinct bird feathers from a natural history museum. It's a quick read and I recommend it. Not exactly high literature, and the author is reaching a bit, but I can't fault him for how interesting the world he opens up is. It's tragically hilarious that the author served in Iraq with USAID and spends most of his journalistic career trying to help his former Iraqi colleagues. But he gets a best-seller for writing about a super-niche corner of fly-fishing and a bizarre heist that he only stumbled over for volunteering to help injured veterans learn to fly fish.

Oh man I heard about that bird heist on This American Life a while back and am totally gonna check that book out.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

decided to hit every lovely little lake/pond I usually see on the platte river trail. Caught nothing but a buzz but it was a fun time so can't complain too much.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Since it was mentioned in the OP

A QUICK OVERVIEW OF SALTWATER FISH (SOUTHEAST/MID-ATLANTIC)
There's about a billion species of saltwater fish, so this will just be some of the most popular/numerous that are found from the Chesapeake Bay to Jacksonville, FL or so. The proportion of fish and species available will vary greatly region to region (eg head north for cod, head south for snook, head west for whatever fuckin' moon fish those hippies are catching) so this is no one's idea of exhaustive

Spot/Croaker/Whiting

The bluegill of the sea, these panfish are extremely popular during their spring and fall runs because people love to fuckin' eat 'em and they are simple as hell to catch on any tackle from surf, sound, or estuary. Spot love bloodworms in particular (see note at the bottom about this before buying any), and both will happily take shrimp, sand fleas, or appropriately-sized cut bait. You won't necessarily brag to your friends about the size, but you'll have fun anyway. Croaker will also give you a nice loud honk while you unhook them most of the time.

Don't confuse spot with pinfish, who look somewhat similar, but are garbage as anything other than cut or live bait

look at this rear end in a top hat, gently caress you too buddy

Pompano

Also apparently good eating, pompano like to hang out in the surf zone. Stick a sand flea on a hook and toss it between where the waves are breaking and the shore and you'll probably find them. Will also eat anything spot, croaker, and whiting eat but they love a good sand flea in particular.

Red Drum

Also known as redfish along the gulf coast, these range in size from 8 or 9 inches all the way up to 40+lb monsters 3 feet long. There's basically three sizes: "puppy drum" (under the slot), slot drum, and BULL DRUM (which are the behemoths). Drum both large and small enjoy shrimp (live or otherwise), and larger drum enjoy mullet (live or dead though many people swear by dead/cut) though they'll consume most any bait fish. They like to chill in the mouths of tidal creeks and near banks of marsh grass and reeds. Though the picture doesn't show it very well, they have a striking reddish/copper color in the water.
Bonus for freshwater anglers: Red Drum can survive in freshwater as long as the temperature is warm enough, and my own state has started experimenting with stocking them in some of the steam plant lakes.

Black Drum

The stubbier, angrier cousin of the redfish eats mostly the same thing but a five pound black drum will fight you as hard as a ten pound red one. They also can get into triple-digit weights and have thick-rear end mouths, so sharpen those hooks.

Bluefish

The pre-eminent rear end in a top hat of the ocean, when a bluefish has its' pecker up it will eat anything. *Anything*. My first bluefish was caught on a piece of dead rotting shrimp. My last bluefish was caught on a hickory shad larger than the bluefish was. During the large runs in the northeast they can sometimes be taken on a bare hook as long as it's shiny enough. Any baitfish will do, and size doesn't matter to these pigs, they will gently caress them up whether they're 8 inches long or 3 feet.

Speckled Trout

Specks are a drat blast to catch and in NC they can still be reliably caught for most of the winter months in the big estuaries, which is great for cabin fever. While I've rarely ever seen one touch a dead shrimp, they are absolute suckers for live shrimp (referred to simply as 'trout candy' in some locales) and will hit all of your major baitfish. Fun Fact: I nearly lost one rod to a two pounder that tried to pull it over the rail, and then nearly lost it again the next day when one actually did pull it over the rail (it dropped the bait and I snagged the rod with another one thankfully). They strike like a freight train.

Flounder

Always a favorite, flounder can be easy to catch, but can also be maddening. A carolina rigged mud minnow, mullet, or other small baitfish is usually the preferred forage, although jigging soft plastics like Gulp are also popular. Just be sure to wait a minute before setting the hook, as flounder are notoriously finicky when they first wrap their weird dumb sideways mouth around something.
Flounder are loving delicious, but do us all a favor and don't keep them. Flounder stocks have been utterly ravaged, give it a couple of years and we'll have you back to eating doormats tout-suite.

Sheepshead

The important thing to remember about Sheepshead is that they loooooove pilings. This is because they looooove eating barnacles. They also looooove eating fiddler crabs and sand fleas. "wow, that seems like pretty hard stuff to crunch up for a fish mouth, how do they manage?" you ask. For your sins, I will answer you:

Striped Bass

I don't have much experience with stripers, as they tend to prefer cooler waters than I usually fish, but in the spring you can still find them in some NC rivers and estuaries running upstream to spawn. Baitfish (menhaden and herring especially) and crab bits work, as do mirrolures.

Spanish/King Mackerel

Though you can find a spanish in an inlet and an estuary sometimes they tend to stick with the ocean. People fishing for King Mackerel will shell out ludicrous amounts of money for a spot at the end of the pier where they sit all day with two rods in a complicated anchor rod/bait rod setup to possibly catch one fish a week. While spanish can be taken on the same baitfish as specks and blues, dedicated King fishermen tend to use large menhaden or small bluefish. Aside from the rare tarpon or large shark, it's about the biggest fish one can catch from an ocean pier.

WHY DIDN'T YOU MENTION LURES?
Because I tend toward live or cut bait in saltwater, but that doesn't mean you have to!

Popping Corks

Originally popular on the gulf coast, you can't drive down an eastern NC road on a weekend without seeing a truck where a couple of popping cork rigged rods are hanging out the back. They aren't a lure in the traditional sense, but a way of presenting lures via quick sharp jerks letting the lure underneath oscillate through the water.

Gulp Soft Plastics

Can either be jigged for flounder, specks, bluefish, and red drum or fished under a popping cork.

Mirrolures

A suspending jerkbait with a nice darting-baitfish action, throwing these at specks and red drum in the fall is a pretty good use of your time.

Gotcha Plugs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzar_lsZYZA
These little fuckers are immensely popular for Spanish, Bluefish, and Specks and in August you're guaranteed to find a few people on an ocean pier doing that distinctive gotcha plug jerk

ABOUT NATURAL BAITS

Years ago, while buying bait from a legendary local guide, I mentioned something about the high price of bloodworms. He stated he didn't even sell them any more, because Fishbites seemed to actually catch him more spot for less money. Available in bloodworm and other "flavors", this poo poo looks like a gimmick but actually works quite well. You can also make a bag last weeks or months, as it is resealable and doesn't rot or stink up the joint. The bloodworm, shrimp, and sand flea flavors have done me well. Also, real bloodworms cost more per worm than a bag of senkos and are for the fuckin' tourists. Fishbites are easymode.

Finding live shrimp in some states can be pretty stinkin' difficult. Frozen shrimp is pretty easy to find near the coast though, and anything that swims will eat it. You can't go wrong (unless you buy washed/cooked shrimp from the grocery store...even the raw grocery shrimp doesn't seem to work as well as frozen bait shrimp). Shrimp is to salt and brackish water fishing what the humble earthworm is to freshwater. Yes, earthworms will also work in saltwater.

Mud minnows, mullet, grass shad...long story short, just about anything you catch in a cast net will be fine bait for where you're fishing. Buy one, as it pays for itself after two dozen minnows. Minnow traps (stainless or coated) are also incredibly useful inshore. Pinfish or Croaker caught on hook or line also make good bait for the big boys, or the medium boys if you cut them up.

Blue crabs and fiddler crabs are also fine baits when you can grab them, as are sand fleas

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Blue crabs is also good eats, just you know, avoid eating the body on female blue crabs so you don't die.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
For SE saltwater one of the biggest payoffs for me was buying and learning how to use and maintain a cast net. It's paid for itself a dozen times over

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

King of Bees posted:

For SE saltwater one of the biggest payoffs for me was buying and learning how to use and maintain a cast net. It's paid for itself a dozen times over

A million times this. Nothing beats spending a whole week at the beach fishing twice a day and never paying a dime for bait.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Aagh, cast nets. I bought a small one, and I absolutely can't throw it. Physically can not, I have a weird rotator cuff injury that activates when you do that net tossing motion. Last time I tried I was in agony for days and the doctor said to cut that poo poo out. :(

Still have it though, gotta teach the husband to throw it. Not just for bait, we also love fried sardines and other tiny delicious fish.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
My older brother brought his casting net on a fishing trip to the Outer Banks a couple of years ago. After a few days of messing with it I was able to get it about 1/4 open. Hurray.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

DeesGrandpa posted:

decided to hit every lovely little lake/pond I usually see on the platte river trail. Caught nothing but a buzz but it was a fun time so can't complain too much.

How did you rig your bike to hold your rod like that? I live like 3km from Lake Ontario and definitely wouldn't mind doing some bike fishing

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Some mornings I'd be looking for shrimp or finger mullets or muds in the tidal creeks around here and the pro bait harvesters would be around with their massive cast nets and picture perfect throws just slamming it. Or the old timers that fish the jetty rocks and can pin point target a mullet school with a little net amongst the barnacle covered rocks and not even get snagged. I'd lose my net in two seconds trying that.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Fuckin excellent effortpost about saltwater fish. As an Oklahoma pondhopper I am thankful that sheepshead don't live here. Cool post!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

1990, age fourteen. I was very lucky to have this in my backyard.

My neighborhood had three lakes, all connected via spillways. And before it was a neighborhood it was a fishing camp. The lakes were stocked with bass, bluegill and monstrous catfish. I lived there from age 7 to 15 and fished those lakes so much.

Now I'm teaching my daughters how to fish.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

There is nothing more fun than top water bass fishing with a frog in a back bay with lots of cover/grass/lilypads.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Been doing a solo camping trip every year for the past few years but have never managed to catch anything in the river where I camp. This past year I got heated/mosquitoed/stormed out, but the river was much higher than usual so I wonder if it'll be better for fishing if I go back to that site. Also considering just saying "gently caress it" and renting a cabin on a lake in the fall, I found a nice small one that has kayaks for use.

Anyway I'm glad for this forum and this thread cuz there's like a 25 year gap in my fishing experience and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Slotducks posted:

There is nothing more fun than top water bass fishing with a frog in a back bay with lots of cover/grass/lilypads.

I would say a black jitterbug on a moonlit night is as good. It's also the cheapest fish finder you can find for a farm pond.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Slotducks posted:

I dunnnnno... Sea run cutties in the right spot is pretty special

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
There's an entire BWCA forum I can go ask about this on, but I like my goon opinions too in case anyone is familiar.

Doing our annual Minnesota Boundary Waters (BWCA) trip in the fall this year since we thought COVID would be better by then compared to end of May. Went in October once six years ago and caught zero fish but that was really our first foray into fishing as adults. Even in the summer, we've really only caught a fair number of fish on one trip.

We're thinking of either 9/17 or 9/24. A week difference wouldn't change anything right? Catching walleye to eat is always the goal, but catching anything is better than nothing. Anyone know if lake trout are easier at that time? We haven't tried those before.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

me your dad posted:

1990, age fourteen. I was very lucky to have this in my backyard.

dang I wish I had Johnny from Karate Kid in my backyard

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I would say a black jitterbug on a moonlit night is as good. It's also the cheapest fish finder you can find for a farm pond.

drat I'm going to have to try this out...

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Untrustable posted:

Fuckin excellent effortpost about saltwater fish...Cool post!

Forgot to say this as well, that post was spotless

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

KingKapalone posted:

There's an entire BWCA forum I can go ask about this on, but I like my goon opinions too in case anyone is familiar.

Doing our annual Minnesota Boundary Waters (BWCA) trip in the fall this year since we thought COVID would be better by then compared to end of May. Went in October once six years ago and caught zero fish but that was really our first foray into fishing as adults. Even in the summer, we've really only caught a fair number of fish on one trip.

We're thinking of either 9/17 or 9/24. A week difference wouldn't change anything right? Catching walleye to eat is always the goal, but catching anything is better than nothing. Anyone know if lake trout are easier at that time? We haven't tried those before.
You're best off bringing a spoon and flinging it along weed lines for pike and smallmouth.

But if you want to catch walleye in the BWCA, your best bet is on larger lakes at the points were smaller lakes flow into them. There will be a bit of rapids and then a deep spot past that where the water looks slack. That's your spot. Use live minnows or leeches primarily.

I have no idea how to find lakers in the BWCA, but I would imagine it involves a fish-finder and some deep water.

Good luck!

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Check out this loving monster I caught in Denver's Wash Park

I've got pretty big hands, but this lil guy was still absolutely tiny. I thought I'd just caught more weeds until I had it fully above the water.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

prom candy posted:

How did you rig your bike to hold your rod like that? I live like 3km from Lake Ontario and definitely wouldn't mind doing some bike fishing

Super easy. Cheap blackburn cage on the fork, rod handle (ugly stick elite i think) fits securely in it, then just use the straps to cinch it down. since this pic was taken I've just taken to riding with the rod fully assembled, while it means it will rub against you, having it in half puts it at a great jab you in the gut if you crash position that I wasn't fully ok with.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Dik Hz posted:

You're best off bringing a spoon and flinging it along weed lines for pike and smallmouth.

But if you want to catch walleye in the BWCA, your best bet is on larger lakes at the points were smaller lakes flow into them. There will be a bit of rapids and then a deep spot past that where the water looks slack. That's your spot. Use live minnows or leeches primarily.

I have no idea how to find lakers in the BWCA, but I would imagine it involves a fish-finder and some deep water.

Good luck!

The time we were catching them that's what we we're doing. We'd cast into where the water was moving and the bobber would float through this deeper trench and at the end when the line would go taught, there was a good chance a walleye was on. We knew it was a trench because every 4th cast we'd catch bottom. Needed to be quite precise.

Know what the preferred bait is in September? We've used leeches most of the time since I don't know what keeping minnows alive is like.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

DeesGrandpa posted:

Super easy. Cheap blackburn cage on the fork, rod handle (ugly stick elite i think) fits securely in it, then just use the straps to cinch it down. since this pic was taken I've just taken to riding with the rod fully assembled, while it means it will rub against you, having it in half puts it at a great jab you in the gut if you crash position that I wasn't fully ok with.

genius, thanks! and yeah good point about the impaling risk

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I saw one for $30 that mounts to any bike in the rear. Might gamble on one to check it out

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

KingKapalone posted:

The time we were catching them that's what we we're doing. We'd cast into where the water was moving and the bobber would float through this deeper trench and at the end when the line would go taught, there was a good chance a walleye was on. We knew it was a trench because every 4th cast we'd catch bottom. Needed to be quite precise.

Know what the preferred bait is in September? We've used leeches most of the time since I don't know what keeping minnows alive is like.
Leeches and minnows always work. You should be able to keep the minnows alive for several days in one of these. Just hang it off the back of your canoe/kayak while you paddle around.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hey a new fishing thread! I'm stuck in Europe for 7 more months but if anyone is in Seattle region next summer I'm gonna be going on party boats for pacific rock fish and lingcod.

I also crab a bit on the west coast.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey a new fishing thread! I'm stuck in Europe for 7 more months but if anyone is in Seattle region next summer I'm gonna be going on party boats for pacific rock fish and lingcod.

See you then!

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
Can somebody post a new link to this Discord? The only ones I can find are expired

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Can somebody post a new link to this Discord? The only ones I can find are expired

https://discord.gg/Jw6TPMr

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

LingcodKilla posted:

It feels pretty brave of you to assume that party boats will be safe by next summer.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

TY. My new fishing goal is I wanna go striper fishing with Dean Ween one day

http://www.mickeysfishing.com/

e: I wanna ask him about fly fishing but I'm scared he'll make fun of me

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

TY. My new fishing goal is I wanna go striper fishing with Dean Ween one day

http://www.mickeysfishing.com/

e: I wanna ask him about fly fishing but I'm scared he'll make fun of me

:eyepop:

Can you find out what he was talking about?

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

:eyepop:

Can you find out what he was talking about?

You're not allowed to mention Ween on his boat apparently, and no bananas (presumably blow is cool)

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

You're not allowed to mention Ween on his boat apparently, and no bananas (presumably blow is cool)

*thirty seconds after returning to the dock at the end of the day*

"So were you guys really huffing Scotchguard when you made The Pod or what."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yond Cassius posted:

It feels pretty brave of you to assume that party boats will be safe by next summer.

WA allowed party boats already. It's not really a party you know.

Bananas is a long time cursed fruit. I recall all the boats in CA had the same rule.