Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Goddamn that's egregious. Completely rotten from the top to the bottom, and the article suggests their recent layoffs are as much a response to the scandal as they are clearing out weak performers, since recent titles have been poorly received. They're filling the vacant positions with other friends and family who are probably just as vile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

I do have to thank jim sterling with money for this one soon. This was hard to get through and I think his best stuff often is, but loving hell, the callousness they're trying to shrug this off with because IT GAME SEASON is egregious.

gently caress everything related to Ubisoft forever, goddamn.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Might be time to put ubisoft on my blacklist with Blizzard/Activison. AC Valhalla isnt worth this.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

As soon as the HR department was implicated I knew something was rotten in Montreal. just tear it all down.

that is a bracing video. I think the games industry is ripe for a total meltdown because I refuse to believe this isn't the whole industry.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I’d be more shocked if Ubisoft’s poisonous culture wasn’t the norm at other big studios and publishers.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Might be time to put ubisoft on my blacklist with Blizzard/Activison. AC Valhalla isnt worth this.
Ubisoft is looking a lot like Blizzard right now where the upcoming slate of games isn't hard to boycott anyway. Valhalla has some serious issues with the character models looking worse than Odyssey's for some reason.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It also tracks with my experiences dealing with large French companies. Their business culture has been due for a reckoning for a long, long time in terms of sexism.

It's like shockingly blatant. The last time I had a French client what stood out most was the dinner where one manager started to loudly talk about how he wanted to have sex with certain subordinates (who were sitting right next to him). When a lot of people started to look real uncomfortable he then switched to "What? You North Americans are such prudes. There's no sexual harassment laws in France!"

Which based on a cursory read I did at the time, thanks to some legal technicalities getting laws thrown out, when it happened he was technically correct.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So just from a theoretical point of view, how do you fix this except by firing everyone who has the smallest piece of authority or rank and restarting the company from scratch?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Skippy McPants posted:

I’d be more shocked if Ubisoft’s poisonous culture wasn’t the norm at other big studios and publishers.

At least we know nobody would dare try to pass out weed-cakes at any of the Japanese companies.

That poo poo gets you unpersoned faster than anything else.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

double nine posted:

So just from a theoretical point of view, how do you fix this except by firing everyone who has the smallest piece of authority or rank and restarting the company from scratch?
No

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

double nine posted:

Basically that. You need to have the leadership all piss off, replace them wherever possible with women and POC from the ranks, and then set requirements for future promotion and advancement that are based on performance metrics and reviews instead of just letting managers elevate their drinking buddies. Also never again let a husband/wife team act as management and HR, jesus loving christ why would you do that.

What they'll actually do: fire a couple sacrificial pawns (check), shuffle a few other people around (check), make a big show of hiring an outside party to make "recommendations" that you swear will definitely be implemented sometime during the next fiscal year (in progress), hope that no one follows up to see if you actually did anything (fingers crossed!).

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You know given what Ubisoft is like I'm pretty sure good performance in anything approaching a management position definitely indicates that you're also a monster, so elevating people from there would not help. Fire every single person who had authority over anyone else.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

When a lot of people started to look real uncomfortable he then switched to "What? You North Americans are such prudes. There's no sexual harassment laws in France!"

Which based on a cursory read I did at the time, thanks to some legal technicalities getting laws thrown out, when it happened he was technically correct.
That's been the French line on sexual harassment since the '90s. "You Americans are such prudes, flirtation is the spice of life!" You hear the same poo poo from Americans, with the whole "You mean I can't tell a girl at work she's pretty?"

e: Given that Ubisoft upper management are literally a band of brothers, there's no way to salvage it.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

double nine posted:

Liquidate the parent company, divest all the studios and BURN EVERYTHING TO THE gently caress GROUND!

Seriously, fire the entire upper management and hire people who knows what "Ethics" mean.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Skippy McPants posted:

oh i am sure its somehow worse in other places.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Mega Comrade posted:

and carbon monoxide poisoning

What the literal gently caress

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

to elaborate

the talented developers leave and start their own company
the leadership team and HR is blacklisted from the industry
consumers live without AAA games from the Ubisoft name

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Famethrowa posted:

to elaborate

the talented developers leave and start their own company
the leadership team and HR is blacklisted from the industry
consumers live without AAA games from the Ubisoft name

IE, it's never, ever going to happen so just don't support the companies you don't like since that really is all you can do.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's been the French line on sexual harassment since the '90s. "You Americans are such prudes, flirtation is the spice of life!" You hear the same poo poo from Americans, with the whole "You mean I can't tell a girl at work she's pretty?"

e: Given that Ubisoft upper management are literally a band of brothers, there's no way to salvage it.

Don't get me wrong the latter is also real bad but it takes a certain level of "I can do what I want and nothing is going to happen to me" to go on a gross tirade that starts with "The only person I want to have sex with in the office is <XYZ>" while she is sitting next to you and her boss is the next chair over.

Incidentally we found out the next year that the woman in question decided to quit the field entirely and move to the opposite end of France. Gee, I wonder why?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/mariejasmin_/status/1285565180097761281

Read the thread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol when AssCreed Unity was announced with four player co-op, all guys, and people asked 'why no playable women' their response was 'uhhh animations too hard'

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

IE, it's never, ever going to happen so just don't support the companies you don't like since that really is all you can do.

p much. other then a personal boycott, the only other materially effective options I can think of are 1. believe victims and 2. donate to legal funds of victims if and when they take these fuckers to court.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I remember that. The developers for Shadow of Mordor hot patched in a freeplay mode that literally just body swaps the male main character with a female character who wasn’t going to be playable as a response. It just used the main character’s animation.

That game (and the AAA company it came from) has its own issues, but I will always remember that quick slap at Ubisoft they put out.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

p much. other then a personal boycott, the only other materially effective options I can think of are 1. believe victims and 2. donate to legal funds of victims if and when they take these fuckers to court.

Also might I add that one other helpful thing is to ✨support unionisation✨ in the games industry, because strong unions can hold corporate feet to the fire over issues like this and also support victims of workplace harassment.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol when AssCreed Unity was announced with four player co-op, all guys, and people asked 'why no playable women' their response was 'uhhh animations too hard'

Oh gently caress, the cunts from Escape from Tarkov said the same thing when some asked about it.

So loving sad.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_video_games

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

loving lmao I remember this, and then players pointed out that playable women characters in multiplayer in past AC games was a thing, as were countless women NPCs. To top it all off, it was discovered that both male and women models used the exact same animation skeleton, so UBISoft was straight up lying.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

apparently the dude who said that was one of the sex monsters.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

RagnarokZ posted:

Oh gently caress, the cunts from Escape from Tarkov said the same thing when some asked about it.

So loving sad.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_video_games

They also gave some weird "but realism!" excuse as well.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Not that Beyond Good and Evil 2 will ever come out, or that there would even be much hype for the game in the future but it sure puts a damper on the current incarnation knowing that it's a "You create your own character!" deal instead of it just being a game where you getting to play as Jade again because the lesson they took from the sales reception to the first BG&E was that she can't headline games.

And not the fact that they released the game in not only an extremely busy holiday season in 2003, but they released the game within a week or so as their OTHER big marquee title at the time. Sands of Time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Not that Beyond Good and Evil 2 will ever come out, or that there would even be much hype for the game in the future but it sure puts a damper on the current incarnation knowing that it's a "You create your own character!" deal instead of it just being a game where you getting to play as Jade again because the lesson they took from the sales reception to the first BG&E was that she can't headline games.

And not the fact that they released the game in not only an extremely busy holiday season in 2003, but they released the game within a week or so as their OTHER big marquee title at the time. Sands of Time.

that seems to be the ubisoft model right now. vahallah is doing it and probably next AC game. legion legit lets you play as anyone and beyond good and evile seems to be Monster maker dream game. choosable protag seems to be the current trend in general. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGBrGqXILgM&t

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Was Ubisoft also the company that didn't want to add women as playable characters because adding different animations was an insurmountable task no human could achieve

e: Already answered lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

What's extra weird about this is that, in Unity's multiplayer, you're always Arno, the main character from the story mode. You see other players as other Assassins, but they always see themselves as Arno and see you as another Assassin. They could've just said "the multiplayer stories are written for the player to be Arno, so we don't have any character customization beyond what's in the main game" and it would've at least been a more understandable answer.

Though recent revelations make it pretty clear that even if it wasn't set up that you're Arno anyway they still wouldn't have let you play as a woman because you have to be a (to quote another tweet from an Ubisoft writer) "straight white alpha male."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

What's extra weird about this is that, in Unity's multiplayer, you're always Arno, the main character from the story mode. You see other players as other Assassins, but they always see themselves as Arno and see you as another Assassin. They could've just said "the multiplayer stories are written for the player to be Arno, so we don't have any character customization beyond what's in the main game" and it would've at least been a more understandable answer.

Though recent revelations make it pretty clear that even if it wasn't set up that you're Arno anyway they still wouldn't have let you play as a woman because you have to be a (to quote another tweet from an Ubisoft writer) "straight white alpha male."

its because he was a dumb rear end in a top hat and unity was a giant loving mess.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"Straight white alpha male", Jesus Christ

Stamping his foot like a lil baby threatened by difference

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

VideoGames update my gang tag except the dude faces are all Ubi execs.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Ubisoft is a waste lol

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Thinking Kassandra wouldn’t be good to sell but Aiden Pierce and his iconic hat was is some weird thinking.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The most bizarre thing about that statement is how it's wrong in multiple angles. Let alone the obvious diversity angle and the like, do these idiots at Ubisoft realize how many dumbass horny nerds will buy a game if it has a hot female protagonist? Disregarding all the actual obvious issues, they're also just straight up bad at understanding what sells and what doesn't, which is kind of incredible.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

Pretty much. This is at least every AAA publisher and developer.

Even the beloved ones like CD Projekt likely have this problem given the stuff their heads have said in interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mokinokaro posted:

Pretty much. This is at least every AAA publisher and developer.

Even the beloved ones like CD Projekt likely have this problem given the stuff their heads have said in interviews.

https://twitter.com/heartimecia/status/1281749400751091712