Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Broken Machine posted:

Hi, figured this thread might find this interesting as well so crossposting

Total case volume is just under 2 liters, turned out fairly well. Now I just have to figure out this key repeating issue when i use a wireless keyboard on some of the usb ports.

Hey I have that too and it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Coredump posted:

Hey I have that too and it sucks.

Linux? I think maybe it's linux, which I had to use as the base os so I could do gpu passthrough. It seems to just be the usb 3 ports that are affected.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Broken Machine posted:

Linux? I think maybe it's linux, which I had to use as the base os so I could do gpu passthrough. It seems to just be the usb 3 ports that are affected.

No I'm on Windows 10 with an amd platform. Its a microsoft sculpt keyboard giving me the issue every now and again.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Yeah usb3 ports will interfere with the wireless receiver. Just use a usb2.0 extension cable if you only have usb3 ports and get the receiver as far away from the computer as possible, ideally with line of sight to the keyboard.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Granite Octopus posted:

Yeah usb3 ports will interfere with the wireless receiver. Just use a usb2.0 extension cable if you only have usb3 ports and get the receiver as far away from the computer as possible, ideally with line of sight to the keyboard.

Thanks; that's weird. I didn't even consider it could be an issue with usb 3 itself, rather than the implementation.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Intel even has a white paper on it :v:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I’m looking at building in a NZXT H1 soon but I’m a little wary of longevity of the case. It’s been ages since I’ve built a PC at all and this is my first real ITX build.

I’ve seen some concerns about the thermals though for non-overclocked setups they seem warm but fine. With the next gen of gpus coming up and eventually processors am I just going to end up having to replace the case to run newer parts in the future since the cooling in the case is limited to a single AIO?

Basically I guess I’m asking I should expect large heat increases for new generations of parts (is everything running a bit hotter the norm? Did that happen with previous gens?). If so I might be better with a H210 or similar that is still smaller than my current setup but has a bit more space for cooling.

Sorry if this is a dumb question!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've read one reason GPUs run hot in the H1 is the unvented tempered glass front panel traps hot air in the case, especially since the case has no real case fan options to help exhaust the GPU heat. There are already people making replacement front panels that have similar hole patterns as the rest of the side panels, and reports are they do help with thermals, but then you're looking at dropping another $80-100 for the panel IIRC. There are others that have been experimenting with mounting tiny Noctua fans to help nudge the hot air towards the vented panels. I think at the end of the day you'll be okay thermal wise, especially with a vented front panel, the concern is more with noise: if the case isn't venting GPU heat effectively, the GPU fans are going to have to spin at high RPMs to keep things cool. At a similar size (though larger desk footprint), something like an NCase M1 is going to be better for thermals, but you'd likely spend a lot more money going that route once you account for the case + shipping + SFX PSU + CPU cooler + case fans. Something bigger like the Lian Li TU150 is something else to consider if you want more breathing room thermal/space wise.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

If I were looking for a case right now, I’d be waiting for a review of the cooler master nr200 before I bought anything.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I won’t be able to get my hands on an NCase any time soon, though the Lian Li TU150 was also something I was considering alongside the NZXT N210 as an alternative case, I might do some more reading on those and work out if they’ll sit decently on my desk.

I don’t have any concerns with what I was likely to build now (Ryzen 5 3600/RTX 2070 Super), more about where I’d want to go down the line. Feels dumb to drop the money on a case/PSU/AIO combo only to have to immediately replace it all if I upgrade anything, but the footprint and aesthetics of the H1 are pretty much exactly what I’m after.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Honestly, if upgradeability with entirely unknown future parts is your main concern, don't buy a specialized case like the N1 that doesn't let you freely pick or replace the PSU and cooler/AIO. Although the 650 W PSU will probably not become a problem, since you're not doing extreme overclocking in that case (and can't run 2 GPUs and ten HDDs to begin with).

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
So after a long wait I have a Sliger SM560 coming in with a vented motherboard/processor panel. Anyone have CPU recommendations, specifically between a 3600 and 3700x? I have a Noctua L9A cooler and I *think* I can get away with the 3700x but was wondering if anyone had experience.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Canna Happy posted:

If I were looking for a case right now, I’d be waiting for a review of the cooler master nr200 before I bought anything.
It looks... good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k1B2tai1yg

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
If I really want a SFF case but don't want to be ridiculously constrained with regards to physical building space, upgrade options or potentially high thermals/noise, and am also going to wait until the next gen GPUs come out before I build a computer, would it make sense for me to order an NCase M1 now just to have it on hand whenever I'm finally ready? Because it seems like the best combination between form, function and is currently available for preorders to be posted at the end of the month.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Might have to get one of those for my next build.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Wow, wish that was available 2 months ago.

Butterfly Valley posted:

If I really want a SFF case but don't want to be ridiculously constrained with regards to physical building space, upgrade options or potentially high thermals/noise, and am also going to wait until the next gen GPUs come out before I build a computer, would it make sense for me to order an NCase M1 now just to have it on hand whenever I'm finally ready? Because it seems like the best combination between form, function and is currently available for preorders to be posted at the end of the month.

Buying it well in advance would be wise, as I believe it can take many weeks to arrive from Taiwan. However, IIRC they open up a new pre-order weekly, so if you're waiting for the new GPUs you could still probably wait a bit before you place the order.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'd buy one of those NR200s and put the extra 140 dollars you save into other parts.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I'd happily pay a little more for a version that didn't have a front panel that looks like cheap plastic.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Now they come out with this... Goddamnit.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
So did the power requirement on newegg and it says I only need 380watts to run my planned system (R5-3600, 2060super, 16gig ram, up to two SSD's).

Is it worth spending the extra cash on the SilverStone 450W NJ450 Passive Platinum SFX-L? I like the idea on not having any fans and making things as quiet as possible.

My main concerns are:
-heat build-up inside an ML08B with no extra case fans
-Max wattage too low to allow for overhead

What's the general consensus in this thread? yay or nay?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

BrassRoots posted:

So did the power requirement on newegg and it says I only need 380watts to run my planned system (R5-3600, 2060super, 16gig ram, up to two SSD's).

Is it worth spending the extra cash on the SilverStone 450W NJ450 Passive Platinum SFX-L? I like the idea on not having any fans and making things as quiet as possible.

My main concerns are:
-heat build-up inside an ML08B with no extra case fans
-Max wattage too low to allow for overhead

What's the general consensus in this thread? yay or nay?

If you are going to spend that much money, just get a corsair SF series psu. A good high efficiency psu in a well ventilated case will rarely have its fan spin up. The corsair sf series was the gold standard of quite and efficient sfx psu last time i checked (i haven't seen the fan spin in my 600w setup with 2070S).

Edit: looks like you can get a corsair SF600 for 120$. I use that psu and it is dead silent and extremely reliable.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 16, 2020

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

drat that hits everything. Ok not the smallest but for the price, 3 slot GPU compatibility (and your choice of not having to use a riser), top venting, no obnoxious logo, even a 3 1/2" bay. This is at the top of my list atm.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 16, 2020

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

ughhhh posted:

If you are going to spend that much money, just get a corsair SF series psu. A good high efficiency psu in a well ventilated case will rarely have its fan spin up. The corsair sf series was the gold standard of quite and efficient sfx psu last time i checked (i haven't seen the fan spin in my 600w setup with 2070S).

Edit: looks like you can get a corsair SF600 for 120$. I use that psu and it is dead silent and extremely reliable.

That's a good point about the fan only coming on at high loads. Because cheaper is better.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Yes, the Cooler Master case definitely ticks nearly all the boxes. It would've been nice if a honking big Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler would've fit, but meh. What would be a good alternative cooler for this case?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Going by the listed clearance Scythe Fuma 2 or Noctua NH-C14S with two fans.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
The official cpu cooler height limit is 155mm, but apparently NH-U12A fits (158mm).

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Good to know, thanks! Now all that's left is to wait for Zen3 and the RTX 3XXX cards and I'm good to go.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Sagacity posted:

What would be a good alternative cooler for this case?

Dark rock pro 4 with the top cover removed should fit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sagacity posted:

Good to know, thanks! Now all that's left is to wait for Zen3 and the RTX 3XXX cards and I'm good to go.

30xx can't come fast enough. I'm itching to get a new card, and with the CPU end of my custom loop arriving tomorrow, it is the last thing left before my Dual Rad Ncase is finished.

Funny enough, Ali Sayed announced in the fan builds video that he was going to do a review of the IceMan pump-res combo as soon as it gets there, which continues his trend of touching on things that I have scoped out and am working on. I've got one of the little bastards sitting on my desk right now. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with the cable: the pump is external, and the PWM connector won't fit through a fan grill, so somewhere you need to find a passthrough to get it inside the case and to the motherboard AIO header.

My thought is to run it parallel to the fittings as the pass through the designated holes, but I'm wondering if there's actually space for that.

Alternatively, cut the wire, feed it through, and splice it inside the case.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Warmachine posted:

30xx can't come fast enough. I'm itching to get a new card, and with the CPU end of my custom loop arriving tomorrow, it is the last thing left before my Dual Rad Ncase is finished.

Funny enough, Ali Sayed announced in the fan builds video that he was going to do a review of the IceMan pump-res combo as soon as it gets there, which continues his trend of touching on things that I have scoped out and am working on. I've got one of the little bastards sitting on my desk right now. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with the cable: the pump is external, and the PWM connector won't fit through a fan grill, so somewhere you need to find a passthrough to get it inside the case and to the motherboard AIO header.

My thought is to run it parallel to the fittings as the pass through the designated holes, but I'm wondering if there's actually space for that.

Alternatively, cut the wire, feed it through, and splice it inside the case.

It's ~here~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOcMt7zSGTY

edit: Hurry up DHL I'm getting antsy here!

:f5:

edit 2: In lieu of making a triple post, the parts arrived Sunday afternoon, and I spent the better part of said afternoon trying to make things work, but I just didn't have the right fittings. Clearance between the radiator and the PSU is pretty much non-existent. I've got a new box of fittings on the way (with enough to have spares for when I do the GPU side, so hopefully I'll have better news next weekend.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 20, 2020

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
So trip report, got an SM560 (through a nightmare of customs to Canada). I was worried about thermals as I posted above with a Ryzen 3600 but it honestly seems fine. I went with the closed sides (as pictured) and an L9A-AM4 cooler from Noctua, plus a pair of Silent Wings 3 fans in exhaust mode at the bottom. With fully stock fan settings and PBO + all core boost turned off in the BIOS it reaches during gaming a maximum of 75C which is toasty but totally fine, and that includes a 1070 crammed in there.

All in all it's an excellent purchase and I'm super happy with the build quality of the case. The biggest complaint is that I've had this running for a few days and it is a loving dust and cat hair magnet. I ordered some dust filters though so hopefully that'll help a lot (you may have noticed cat stuff in the photos, that never helps).

I wish I could take cooler glam shots too.

PS excuse the filth i live in

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
If you have a dust filter for the bottom fans, try running them as intakes instead. Might slightly increase the temps but will make sure that the filters actually collect all the cat floof.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Arzachel posted:

If you have a dust filter for the bottom fans, try running them as intakes instead. Might slightly increase the temps but will make sure that the filters actually collect all the cat floof.

You don't want to run the fans as intake in that case unless you're running your heatsinks fanless because you end up pushing against the exhaust airflow from both the CPU and the gpu. I believe its been tested to be at least several degrees warmer and when you're so limited by CPU cooler height restrictions, that can be pretty rough.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Additionally, running the bottom fans as exhaust will keep the floor-level cat hair away from those fans.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

You don't want to run the fans as intake in that case unless you're running your heatsinks fanless because you end up pushing against the exhaust airflow from both the CPU and the gpu. I believe its been tested to be at least several degrees warmer and when you're so limited by CPU cooler height restrictions, that can be pretty rough.

I'm in a similar spot with the Node 202 where running case fans as intakes dumps hot air from the gpu into the cpu chamber but it does let the filter catch all the cat hair.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

rarbatrol posted:

Additionally, running the bottom fans as exhaust will keep the floor-level cat hair away from those fans.

Yeah I think just the mesh filter on top will help a lot (plus vacuuming frequently, goddamned cats).

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The tempered glass makes me think there's no real winning move w.r.t. airflow in the two chambers. You're already recycling air because where the hell else is it coming from? Not the solid glass panels that's for sure. The cat hair is going to come in from the grill behind the rear IO in a negative pressure setup like that (how much is a different question entirely). I think intake would end up being better, since you'll have natural convection and positive pressure on your side to keep heat and hair out of the case, and a filter to grab the rest. The downside would be having to clean the filter every weekend because it spawned an entirely new cat.

If we have a link to that test though, I'm more than open to having my mind blown because this seems extremely counter-intuitive (even for airflow).

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
My original assembly had them as intake and the CPU hit low 90s, and with them as exhaust it's barely ever touched 80 and hovers in the 70s while gaming. It's not super scientific but Sliger recommends intake, and people on forums recommended the opposite and switching definitely helped. As for the cat hair like every other computer I have the best solution is mesh dust filters and frequent vacuuming.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
What what it's worth, natural convection is a great idea but stands absolutely no chance when you install fans in your case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Warmachine posted:

The tempered glass makes me think there's no real winning move w.r.t. airflow in the two chambers. You're already recycling air because where the hell else is it coming from? Not the solid glass panels that's for sure.
To clarify with the SM560 the entire top is an open grill (which is where the hair accumulates, hence wanting the filter)