Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
Is anyone running the Big Bur beta and also using ZeroTier VPN? My Catalina install's been alerting me every now and then about Legacy System Extensions which will be incompatible with a future version of macOS, one is for an extension from ZeroTier, and the other is signed by Mattias Nissler, which appears to also be a network-related extension, maybe also used by ZeroTier?
So, can anyone confirm if this extension still works in Big Sur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Why does your VPN require you to install system extensions? Why not just use Tunnelblick or something?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Roadie posted:

This is it. "brew" is command line stuff or command line stuff that also incidentally contains GUI apps (like TeX), "brew cask" is for GUI apps. Open source or non-open-source has nothing to do with it.
Yeah I suppose this is probably *actually* correct explanation, I had just never thought about it that way.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

beuges posted:

Is anyone running the Big Bur beta and also using ZeroTier VPN? My Catalina install's been alerting me every now and then about Legacy System Extensions which will be incompatible with a future version of macOS, one is for an extension from ZeroTier, and the other is signed by Mattias Nissler, which appears to also be a network-related extension, maybe also used by ZeroTier?
So, can anyone confirm if this extension still works in Big Sur?

Are you on the latest version? They eliminated Extension requirements a little while ago:

https://www.zerotier.com/how-zerotier-eliminated-kernel-extensions-on-macos/

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Crunchy Black posted:

Yeah I suppose this is probably *actually* correct explanation, I had just never thought about it that way.

It’s still a bizarre way of doing it that confuses a lot of people and leads to issues. For example, there is both a brew and a cask for mpv. The cask gets mpv integrated with Finder so you can open movies with it by default, but it often gets out of date, since it’s compiled by a third party and uses a private copy of ffmpeg. The brew is built from source by Homebrew and uses their brewed ffmpeg.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quote:

Homebrew Cask

“To install, drag this icon…” no more!

Homebrew Cask extends Homebrew and brings its elegance, simplicity, and speed to the installation and management of GUI macOS applications such as Atom and Google Chrome.

We do this by providing a friendly CLI workflow for the administration of macOS applications distributed as binaries.Now...what about bottles and taps?
Kind of annoying that they went with brewing terms for operations, but whatever.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

brew cask install bottle tap

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

pzy posted:

Are you on the latest version? They eliminated Extension requirements a little while ago:

https://www.zerotier.com/how-zerotier-eliminated-kernel-extensions-on-macos/

I was certain I was on the latest version, then I double-checked and it turns out I was on 1.2.12. Upgraded to the latest version now, so let's hope the warning's gone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OK moving my query from Hardware to Software thread as it makes more sense to be here now.

I'm sure most people here read both threads, I'm the one with the 2012 Mini that kept panicing/rebooting and putting a new drive in and restoring from my time machine just replicated the same issue and puts the machine into a state where nothing works (recovery, internet recovery, diagnostics etc). I gave up as it's just eating time and patience, I'll format the original drive and put it on eBay and return the replacement SSD to Amazon and hope I don't eat too much of a restock fee as I hosed the box up a bit.

New hardware is on its way, I'm a bit nervous about doing a Migration from the Time Machine backup in case whatever is causing the issue isn't part of the system files that were coming across but within the regular user/app data. A legit worry?

I'm not opposed to starting off completely fresh and restoring things by hand myself. Is this relatively straight forward? I.e. will I be able to browse my Time Machine device as a regular drive from the most recent snapshot and copy over files? Things like my Plex library which will still be pointing towards my external dataset that I'd really rather not build from scratch if I can avoid it.

e: https://www.imore.com/how-recover-files-your-old-mac-without-having-migrate-your-entire-time-machine-backup makes it look like individual restoration from a Time Machine made by a different machine is fairly straigthforward at least. I'm sure *something* will throw a wrench in the works, but fingers crossed.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 21, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Kind of a tech support question and I don't deal with Macs enough to know where to start troubleshooting.

A colleague has his iMac sign him out of all of his accounts like once or twice a day randomly. Not logoff his computer but like his mapped network drives, Adobe CC account, Google Account in Chrome, some logitech mouse account, etc. They allllll sign out en masse once or twice a day and he has to reset everything up. And then everything sync'ing takes forever and most times stuff like Adobe Fonts won't sync until after multiple tries. WTF?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Kind of a tech support question and I don't deal with Macs enough to know where to start troubleshooting.

A colleague has his iMac sign him out of all of his accounts like once or twice a day randomly. Not logoff his computer but like his mapped network drives, Adobe CC account, Google Account in Chrome, some logitech mouse account, etc. They allllll sign out en masse once or twice a day and he has to reset everything up. And then everything sync'ing takes forever and most times stuff like Adobe Fonts won't sync until after multiple tries. WTF?

It sounds like the keychain (database where apps keep certificates, tokens, passwords ,etc) might be borked. He might need to make a new keychain or look at the file permissions on the existing one. That's the only thing I can think of that would affect all of those apps

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Is he running any weird third-party software (e.g. "disk cleanup" or "maintenance" tools)? You'll lose that stuff if you're using a really loving dumb cache cleaner.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Both good suggestions - lemme check

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Both good suggestions - lemme check
I had something vaguely similar a while back, another keychain thing. Not to the extent he's seeing but some of it.

Under the Keychain Access app check Edit > Change settings for keychain [whichever one], there's options to lock after time or when sleeping. I forget if I had a time lock or the sleep one, which locked when I had a screensaver lock going or something, under System Prefs > Security & Privacy > General.

plasm
Jul 16, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

OK moving my query from Hardware to Software thread as it makes more sense to be here now.

New hardware is on its way, I'm a bit nervous about doing a Migration from the Time Machine backup in case whatever is causing the issue isn't part of the system files that were coming across but within the regular user/app data. A legit worry?

I just did a fresh reinstall on a 2016 MacBook. I had the setup I deleted going since 10.2. Something had gone wrong with my time machine backups and they were no long able to complete and I couldn’t figure it out. Also the machine was really slow.

What I did was to make sure to have all my documents, photos, and music backed up to iCloud. I then additionally manually copied everything to an external SSD just in case. I also manually backed up 20gb of mail as well.

I then wiped and reinstalled and everything slowly came back to life as iCloud synced everything up. I did have to reinstall all my apps but that wasn’t so bad. Really glad I did it because the MacBook is running really quick now.

One possible culprit I think was keybase. Even after removing it a few years ago I got the feeling that something wasn’t quite right. Anyway I’m way more careful about installing things that install from a package now.

Anyway I’m quite happy with the result.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oof, 10.2! I'm sure you're seeing a big difference now.

Yes, I've been advised that when I do the Migration it will give the option to reinstall everything except the apps, which should both be faster than me doing everything by hand and not give me worry that I'm going to bring over something that could cause more headaches. At least I have the weekend to look forward to to get everything talking to eachother again! I'll dig out a spare HDD to start fresh time machine backups with too so I can keep the old one for as long as needed without worry.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Can anyone recommend a good piece of software for annotating/adding text to pdfs? I find Preview so clunky and frustrating for doing so but I am also not super interested in paying for Acrobat if I don't have to.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just installed 10.15.6 clean. Where are the default desktop pictures located?

'/Library/Desktop Pictures' (doesn't exist)
'/Users/_me_/Library/Desktop Pictures' (doesn't exist)

:confused:

e: oh its here now

'/System/Library/Desktop\ Pictures'

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Just installed 10.15.6 clean. Where are the default desktop pictures located?

'/Library/Desktop Pictures' (doesn't exist)
'/Users/_me_/Library/Desktop Pictures' (doesn't exist)

:confused:

e: oh its here now

'/System/Library/Desktop\ Pictures'

This took me SO long to figure out, I wish they'd stop moving it!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Da gently caress iCloud Keychain.

Just installed 10.15.6 clean and signed into iCloud right away. It seems to have pulled maybe 25% of my passwords for some reason but its just taking its time on the rest. Why not get them all its tiny data FFS.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Ok I have what is probably a pretty stupid question, but for someone who has been using macOS for years, I've never actually had to go through this process *ever* yet, which I think is a testament to how reliable the OS and hardware is. Anyways, I have been using this MacBook for ages and just finally got a new one. When I setup the new one, when I go to login with my iCloud, is it going to try and transfer my profile from the old laptop, including any broken poo poo that has built up over the years? Or does it mostly start fresh? I've rebuilt countless Windows PCs in my time (it was my job for nearly 20 years, so I apologize if these are dumb questions but I need to break my brain out of this mould) but I have setup exactly one macOS profile in my entire life and never on a second machine.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 23, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nexxai posted:

Ok I have what is probably a pretty stupid question, but for someone who has been using macOS for years, I've never actually had to go through this process *ever* yet, which I think is a testament to how reliable the OS and hardware is. I have been using this MacBook for ages and just finally got a new one. When I setup the new one, when I go to login with my iCloud, is it going to try and transfer my profile from the old laptop, including any broken poo poo that has built up over the years? Or does it mostly start fresh? I've rebuilt countless Windows PCs in my time (it was my job for nearly 20 years, so I apologize if these are dumb questions but I need to break my brain out of this mould) but I have setup exactly one macOS profile in my entire life and never on a second machine.

iCloud backup should MOSTLY avoid copying any broken poo poo. It's when you start backing up from disk images/Time Machine where thinks start to go funky in my experience.

Any time I've reinstalled MacOS in the last three years I've just started fresh and logged into iCloud instead of bothering with Time Machine

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

iCloud backup should MOSTLY avoid copying any broken poo poo. It's when you start backing up from disk images/Time Machine where thinks start to go funky in my experience.

Any time I've reinstalled MacOS in the last three years I've just started fresh and logged into iCloud instead of bothering with Time Machine
Good to know. Thanks!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1286405986614497282

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

:thanks:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bring back the green chode

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Bring back the green chode

the kryptonite condom

Violator
May 15, 2003

Now it looks like a secret of the ooze canister.

Edit: in a good way.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh what, are we back to extreeeeme skeuomorphism now?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

it'll only give you a percentage number if you multitouch pinch the two ends of the battery

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Oh what, are we back to extreeeeme skeuomorphism now?

no, because any battery icon no matter the depth of color and shading in its artwork is always skeuomorphism because it represents a real object (a battery).

the only way i can see qualifying something as "extreme skeuomorphism" is if they just took a photo of a duracell battery and dropped it in there.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just got a bluetooth receiver, and when switching to the bluetooth mode apple music not only automatically starts up, but starts playing. this is obviously very annoying.

the only thing I've seen online is about turning off handoff under system preferences - general but that had no effect

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 24, 2020

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

I just got a bluetooth receiver, and when switching to the bluetooth mode apple music not only automatically starts up, but starts playing. this is obviously very annoying.

the only thing I've seen online is about turning off handoff under system preferences - general but that had no effect

Usually that is caused by the bluetooth device itself being lovely, many are programmed to start playing automatically upon connection with no options to change that behavior. IIRC the old-school workaround was to add to your library a very long, silent mp3 with a track name that makes it first in the alphabetical list of songs.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

withak posted:

Usually that is caused by the bluetooth device itself being lovely, many are programmed to start playing automatically upon connection with no options to change that behavior. IIRC the old-school workaround was to add to your library a very long, silent mp3 with a track name that makes it first in the alphabetical list of songs.

*shrug* I dunno seems to be a very well reviewed device

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS202/Yamaha-R-S202.html

and I can't find a single thing online about this issue with my receiver. This definitely has been a problem before

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-stop-itunes-from-opening-with-bluetooth-speakers.1666895/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2570254

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 24, 2020

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

In iOS you can set up a shortcut to auto-pause when you connect to a particular device. Are they porting shortcuts over to Mac in Big Sur?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I temporarily disabled SIP and removed music, gently caress it. I find itunes/music to be pretty annoying anyway and can just use clementine to play whatever stuff is on my machine.

I suppose I could have tried that automator thing with the fake app - not sure if that still works. you for example rename Music.app to something else (if it allows you), then create a fake app, then turn on a bluetooth device and tell your system to run the fake app. I think after this you still have to keep Music.app under the new name you gave it.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 24, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That’s definitely the Bluetooth device auto pressing play upon connection. MacOS should probably not auto play in some situations like that though. I’ve never liked the play button launching an app and playing whatever in both iOS and macOS

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 24, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Last Chance posted:

That’s definitely the Bluetooth device auto pressing play upon connection.

is the issue with the receiver or with the mac?

in either case, my mac (more specifically the music app) should certainly have an option to not do that, as apparently this has been an issue with all sorts of bluetooth devices

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

actionjackson posted:

is the issue with the receiver or with the mac?

in either case, my mac (more specifically the music app) should certainly have an option to not do that, as apparently this has been an issue with all sorts of bluetooth devices

The receiver technically, since I’ve used a bunch and only one has ever done that (it was some gym equipment thing), but it is a bit weird for macOS or iOS to launch some poo poo up when nothings playing. If you leave Apple Music or another music app running but paused on a song, then reconnect the receiver does it resume playing the song?

and yea I agree and I just edited my post to say something similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

kgibson posted:

Can anyone recommend a good piece of software for annotating/adding text to pdfs? I find Preview so clunky and frustrating for doing so but I am also not super interested in paying for Acrobat if I don't have to.

You can try Evince PDF reader. I accidently add an annotation i it all the time.