Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Continuum is the better canadian time travel show

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Look at this bad opinion!

Nope. The only forward momentum the plot had was the introduction of the faction, but their whole reason for existing was always explained but never shown how bad it was to have the Director in charge and they were always brutal and violent for no reason except to signpost that they were the bad guys. Everyone’s 21st century problems were borrrrring and never went anywhere because of the writers’ compulsions to return everything to the status quo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

Started on Alone because of the talk of it. Can anyone find me a gear list for season 1? Every site claiming to have it says it has major spoilers for the show, and the main website only seems to have the most recent season.

Enjoying it a lot already though.

Gear list?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Travelers was great. Thanks for reading.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

zoux posted:

Gear list?

I posted that in the wrong thread - there's been an ongoing discussion about Alone in the what-did-you-binge thread.

I meant the 10 items each survivalist brought out with them.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Travelers i]defenders need to start posting the parts of the show they liked because I’m coming up short besides Grace’s hilarious indifference to her 21st century job and the fact the show ended on a dril tweet:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/457675646970634240?s=21

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Travelers was fun to watch but thinking about it or trying to make sense of it for even one minute after it was over is pointless because none of it made sense

I suppose the same can be said for a lot of time travel shows

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mu Zeta posted:

Continuum is the better canadian time travel show

Continuum was the best of that entire crop of basic cable time travel shows.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Travelers was fun to watch but thinking about it or trying to make sense of it for even one minute after it was over is pointless because none of it made sense

I suppose the same can be said for a lot of time travel shows

I don’t take issue with poo poo like “memories for the future being stored in unrefrigerated blood bags”, I hated the pacing and that the writers had five or six good ideas and spun that into three seasons of TV. Even Person of Interest understood its campiness after a while, but Travelers kept trying to feed us “Philip is addicted to drugs again” or that exceedingly awful (but blessedly short) “Trevor’s host and best friend were raped” storyline.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

Continuum was the best of that entire crop of basic cable time travel shows.

12 Monkees was the most fun though. I challenge anyone to make it to the end and not have the time of your life.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

12 Monkees was the most fun though. I challenge anyone to make it to the end and not have the time of your life.

12 Monkeys was unfun friend

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

pentyne posted:

Who Killed Little Gregory?

It's based on a famous French case that was a clusterfuck at every level up to having to replace the judge 5 years in and restart the investigation.

This looks good, thanks for the rec!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

There were only 4 Monkees.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Let's just talk about Palm Springs again. Now there was some good time fuckery.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

oh jay posted:

Let's just talk about Palm Springs again. Now there was some good time fuckery.

I giggled like an idiot at the wedding cake bomb gag.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Mandalorian is a slog to get through IMO. I just finished it but I had to just leave it on the background while doing other stuff. Music is boring and has nothing to latch onto. The Witcher had generic music too but it at least has that one toss the coin song. This show has nothing. I don't care about any of the characters and it's because they have zero character development or personaliy. Even Dredd (2012) feels like a more interesting person and he only has like 3 lines and is a fascist. I do like the baby because it's cute as heck, the guest stars are really good, and I guess the show is pretty. But meh I'm not watching season 2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

Why are you like this.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I got to the end of Travellers Season 2 and decided to just read a synopsis of the last. I really liked the scifi parts, but I only cared about about a few of the "personal lives" bits and they dictated a lot of the show. Particularly McLaren and his wife, yeesh.

I do admit I'm kind of curious to see how visually it plays out when 0001 turns himself into a machine god and all but I just wasn't psyched for a "travellers exposed and hunted down" type season. the 9/11 poo poo is so weird too, like, it's the obvious big event to mark the beginning of the surveillance age but it's just surprising how casually they include it. I was trying to explain the show to a friend this weekend and it's not often that explaining a convoluted time-travel plot entails "oh yeah and this guy time travels back in time to 9/11 to send an email but it doesn't work so he just leaves 9/11 and ruins the future"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I do admit I'm kind of curious to see how visually it plays out when 0001 turns himself into a machine god and all

Lol, 20 seconds of unshown exposition in the series finale before Grace tells them they can go back in time

Season 3 could’ve been 001 methodically hunts down the team or the team has bigger responsibilities as governments try to work with/control travelers. Both of those plots are shoved into the finale but it’s ok, David gets the focal point of three episodes: he gets shot at the end of one (my fiancée and I were so happy for about 30 seconds) and saves Seattle in the next, before spending yet another episode dying in the magic death mind palace.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 21, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finished Preacher last night. And while it was entertaining it was also a really shallow adaption. Like, they give Jesse his lighter and obsession with John Wayne but don't show that the reason why this is important is because it's his only connection he has left with his dad. In the show it doesn't even make sense that his dad would have the lighter because he's portrayed as a pushover and it is never shown if he served in the vietnam war. They also for some reason refuses to make Cassidy the monster he is in the comic (in the show he even refuses to drink human blood) and make Jesse into a self righteous twat.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 21, 2020

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

howe_sam posted:

Who hurt you and why did they stop?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Finished Preacher last night. And while it was entertaining it was also a really shallow adaption. Like, they give Jesse his lighter and obsession with John Wayne but don't show that the reason why this is important is because it's his only connection he has left with his dad. In the show it doesn't even make sense that his dad would have the lighter because he's portrayed as a pushover and it is never shown if he served in the vietnam war. They also for some reason refuses to make Cassidy the monster he is in the comic (in the show he even refuses to drink human blood) and make Jesse into a self righteous twat.

I'm happy with how they portrayed Cassidy. I haven't read the comics (and have zero interest in them), but if they're anything like Ennis' other output I'm glad they had someone keeping a lot of it out of a show meant for a more general audience.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mu Zeta posted:

The Mandalorian is a slog to get through IMO. I just finished it but I had to just leave it on the background while doing other stuff. Music is boring and has nothing to latch onto. The Witcher had generic music too but it at least has that one toss the coin song. This show has nothing. I don't care about any of the characters and it's because they have zero character development or personaliy. Even Dredd (2012) feels like a more interesting person and he only has like 3 lines and is a fascist. I do like the baby because it's cute as heck, the guest stars are really good, and I guess the show is pretty. But meh I'm not watching season 2.

Glad I'm not the only one. I'm happy that it was apparently what a lot of people wanted out of new Star Wars but it just didn't grab me at all and even if babby Yoda was a cool puppet it's such a cynical attempt at making something marketable in a show with a faceless protagonist.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rhyno posted:

Look at this bad opinion!

Lol at I was FORCED to watch 3 seasons of a show

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Fringe and PoI both had rocky starts with great episodes in mediocre early seasons. Travelers had some very vocal defenders in TVIV, so I watched it

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Why are you like this.
:shrug: From what I saw (seasons 1-3, 4 wasn't available to stream at the time) 12 Monkeys was always stuck in season one Legends mode, and never flipped the fun switch like Legends did in season 2 on. It probably didn't help that I'm sick of "quirky" characters, where "quirky" is defined as talks in pop culture metaphor, because if they ever gave a straight answer the show is over.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Mandalorian is a slog to get through IMO... Music is boring and has nothing to latch onto.

Now this is a spicy take. Göransson's theme is as good as anything John Williams wrote for Star Wars.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ariza posted:

I'm happy with how they portrayed Cassidy. I haven't read the comics (and have zero interest in them), but if they're anything like Ennis' other output I'm glad they had someone keeping a lot of it out of a show meant for a more general audience.
Basically the show kept all the gross out humor of the comic (and in many cases made them even grosser) and left out all the character depth. The comic tries to say something about toxic masculinity while the show is happy with showing Tulip siphoning gasoline with someone's intestines.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Preacher the show was one of the biggest wastes of time ever. They never had the budget to do anything good/interesting more than a handful of times per season so it was mostly just people sitting around in the same locations having extremely poorly-written interpersonal drama.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Preacher the show is much better than the comic, especially how they changed Cassidy

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Mostly what I remember from Travelers is that Patrick Gilmore's character David Mailer becomes a massive Gary Sue (not in terms of competence, just... everybody likes him and he's portrayed as a saint) which gives me a really creepy vibe because he has a character in You Me Her that essentially evolves into the same character, and I have to wonder if that's that actor's 'thing', nagging the screenwriters incessantly to turn his character into a more and more flawless person.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Preacher the show is much better than the comic, especially how they changed Cassidy

Nice opposite day post!!!!!!!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Preacher show was better than the comic, but the comic was only good when you were an edgy teen in the 90s-00s and should've been left there. I agree they went a bit heavy on some boring melodrama, like didn't care for any of the love triangle poo poo in the comics or show.

I think I also liked Eugene's arc in the show a lot more, but I was never quite sure what to think about their Hitler arc, or that they had a Hitler arc that was kind of goofy/comedic in tone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bentacos posted:

It's a faaaake

It's false. A complete fabrication. The fictive inventions of a writer.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

In the show he is basically your typical melancholy irish who's cool to drink and fight with. While in the comic that behavior is portrayed as actively harmful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alhazred posted:

In the show he is basically your typical melancholy irish who's cool to drink and fight with. While in the comic that behavior is portrayed as actively harmful.

The show definitely makes the point that his behavior is harmful

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

The show definitely makes the point that his behavior is harmful
It doesn't, not really. He doesn't do anything truly unforgivable and everybody thinks he's a lovable scamp.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

howe_sam posted:

Rhyno posted:

Why are you like this.

Don't worry Rhyno buddy I've got this

12Monkeys >>>>> Continuum > Travelers

Haven't finished Dark yet, but I'll probably rank that after Continuum

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jennifer Goines was the definition of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I254cTZ5NOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MDmq-3WgNg

Emily Hampshire should have won all the awards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

isaboo posted:

Don't worry Rhyno buddy I've got this

12Monkeys >>>>> Continuum > Travelers

Haven't finished Dark yet, but I'll probably rank that after Continuum

Next watch TimeTrax.